The Food Thread

• 2 weeks later...

Starting to learn how to cook recently (finally lol), this is my first time cooking salmon o: (the meat thermometer wasn't working so I had to eyeball it out and hope for the best xD)

gufPMF1.jpg

14 minutes ago, hannahtaylor said:

*looks outside for smoke signals*

It actually turned out pretty good for once, can you believe it? I know I can't lol

(though i still suck at flipping with a spatula and I broke one of the salmon pieces in nearly half xD)

On 2/15/2022 at 9:44 PM, MGRazor said:

It actually turned out pretty good for once, can you believe it? I know I can't lol

(though i still suck at flipping with a spatula and I broke one of the salmon pieces in nearly half xD)

I prefer cooking salmon in the oven, just oil some foil, wrap the salmon in it and put it in the oven for 20 minutes at about 180 (celcius so convert to freedom units). A good way to check if it's cooked if you're frying it or something is if it flakes apart.

1 hour ago, hannahtaylor said:

I prefer cooking salmon in the oven, just oil some foil, wrap the salmon in it and put it in the oven for 20 minutes at about 180 (celcius so convert to freedom units). A good way to check if it's cooked if you're frying it or something is if it flakes apart.

I would have liked to use the oven had my parents not use it as storage space for everything lol

4 hours ago, Munya said:

How do you get your skin crispy in the oven?  its the best part of having salmon

There's a couple of way you can simply cooking it with the broil setting with the skin side up (also helps if the skin is dry) or when cooking it skin side down you can put oil in your pan and let it heat up than put the salmon in. Personally I sear it than like to smoke the salmon

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, xExotic said:

I don't think it looks good but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

20220309_172945.thumb.jpg.1a30e4fb8af08d43234f888780020498.jpg

If it doesn't look good blame AK for wanting me to post it xD

Looks good enough to me! Food doesn't have to be anything complex, simple food is good too o;

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/17/2022 at 1:52 PM, Munya said:

How do you get your skin crispy in the oven?  its the best part of having salmon

spice "bark" + grease either oil or butter or animal fat + high heat. a lot of people will start in a oven safe pan get it hot pan fry one side then flip and throw it in the oven. make sure their is smoked paprika in the spice rub.

also lately i have been liking using a potato peeler to get lemon rind (yellow only not the white bit) off then lightly toast in a dry pan to dry it out without burning and throwing it in a blender to make a lemon powder which goes good on fish 

Edited by fredrichnietze