Zoroark's Illusion Ability in PvE

SwordDancer

Question

Hello, my suggestion pertains to the ability Illusion. The AI is wonderful on it's difficulty scaling, no complaint, however, being unable to use a Pokémon's ability, is a actual hindrance. The Pokemon entail has a low base Defense and Special Defense as it stands, it truly requires it's ability to have survivability. My only suggestion is to tweak the AI's detection on the Illusion ability itself. Where it sits, every NPC uses a type super effective towards Zoroark, and not the Pokémon it's Illusioning itself as. I've tested this on numerous battles and have been unable to have any successful illusion results due to the AI's detection of it immediately. I'm not sure what else to say about it. At this point, for PvE players, Zoroark is near unusable, unless it's near max level to overpower the NPC's with raw strength and speed.

5 answers to this question

I've thought about this a lot before and I don't think they'll implement it. It's so easy to trick the AI with it.
For example you can let your Zoroark transform to Gengar. Gengar is weak to psychic moves. If it's something against a pokemon that has a psychic move then the AI will keep using it and since Zoroark is immune to it it can set up things like Nasty Plot and Agility.

While I like it since I can use it to cheese some E4 members I doubt they'll do it.

2 hours ago, Archiver said:

I've thought about this a lot before and I don't think they'll implement it. It's so easy to trick the AI with it.
For example you can let your Zoroark transform to Gengar. Gengar is weak to psychic moves. If it's something against a pokemon that has a psychic move then the AI will keep using it and since Zoroark is immune to it it can set up things like Nasty Plot and Agility.

While I like it since I can use it to cheese some E4 members I doubt they'll do it.

The AI could also be tuned to take into account whether or not the attack dealt damage to the target after an attack. So if Zoroark came out disguised as Gengar and the AI used Psychic, which Zoroark is immune to, then the AI could detect if it missed or dealt damage. If it missed, it would continue to act as though a Gengar is on the field, but if it didn't deal damage due to immunity, the AI could be flagged to not use Psychic type moves as the Pokemon on the field is behind an illusion. This would then cause the AI to use a move that would be damaging to Zoroark. Doing this would essentially negate the ability to freely setup Nasty Plot or Agility against the AI. Since the goal is for the AI to act as a convincing stand-in for real players, having it know whether or not a move dealt damage would be a good start on making that happen.

The other idea would be to have the illusion act as a nerfed form of Substitute wherein the immunity to Psychic types is not carried to the illusion and moves such as Psychic would be capable of breaking the illusion, but that would be pretty silly to do and defeats the purpose of tuning the AI in the first place.

the thing of npcs don't detecting illusion really sucks, the point of illusion is avoiding receiving a super effective hit or get a not so effective hit instead if possible right when entering the combat

they can't just null this ability entirely against npcs, i know that its really easy to exploit their AIs with illusion but just tweak it like make npcs figure out that its zorua or zoroak after dealing the 1st hit(even if its a psychic type hit and it didn't had any effect) or give a completely different effect for the ability while still keeping the theme like making it have the typing resistances, weaknesses and immunities of the mon its currently disguised as, forcing foes only able to use moves which would either damage normally or be super effective against the current mon disguised as until they use the 1st move

whitout illusion zoroak is just a bad glass cannon, besides its monstruous speed it can barely 1 shot anything and its more likely to die right after hitting, i know that it can still be used for pvp but still it was supposed to be better for AIs than humans since humans can figure out when its a zoroak easier depending of the situation

Yeah, they should fix this.

What I want to know is: Was there already code in place for handling Illusion in the original game? Or was the AI so dumb it didn't matter? Because if it exists already and the devs deliberately turned it off then it can be tweaked. If not, then they'd have to write it and now you have a whole new feature from a dev team that, frankly, doesn't seem to be all that into that sort of things these days (you know, developing). 

It definitely needs to be made to prevent exploit. The AI should only be tricked on the first round. After that, they should know it's true typing and act accordingly.

Edited by AnRae