Team Tournament 2021- January (Saturday 30th)

This month is probably out of question, but if teams that couldn't register will want to, we can make a mini-tournament on Sunday same time to fight for one guaranteed spot for February. However.

I personally don't think making TT 32teams is a good idea. We sometimes sat till 3-4 am waiting for duels to stop and if we aim for the best 16 teams, it's not really that good to make it 32 teams IMO.

We can always go with changed registration rules. On the Thursday date of registration, teams will have 15 minutes to register for TT. Then after doing so, we will start preliminaries at 9:15 pm on Thursday in-game, where teams will compete over free left spots.

Realistically, I would allow the first 32 teams to register and fight. As the year will progress we will have guaranteed spots from general standings and a smaller number of free spots, but this way only the best teams (or the ones that got lucky in the random shuffle) will play.

I'm still not convinced if we want to make higher rank teams have an advantage over it (aka spot nr 5 will not play against spot nr 4) but I would rather hear firstly what do you think about the idea as a whole if the date and1 hour of elimination is alright. 

Please take a note that just because 4 people will say its fine, I will still contact each captain. This will also not take place this month. 

4 hours ago, Bearminator said:

This month is probably out of question, but if teams that couldn't register will want to, we can make a mini-tournament on Sunday same time to fight for one guaranteed spot for February. However.

I personally don't think making TT 32teams is a good idea. We sometimes sat till 3-4 am waiting for duels to stop and if we aim for the best 16 teams, it's not really that good to make it 32 teams IMO.

We can always go with changed registration rules. On the Thursday date of registration, teams will have 15 minutes to register for TT. Then after doing so, we will start preliminaries at 9:15 pm on Thursday in-game, where teams will compete over free left spots.

Realistically, I would allow the first 32 teams to register and fight. As the year will progress we will have guaranteed spots from general standings and a smaller number of free spots, but this way only the best teams (or the ones that got lucky in the random shuffle) will play.

I'm still not convinced if we want to make higher rank teams have an advantage over it (aka spot nr 5 will not play against spot nr 4) but I would rather hear firstly what do you think about the idea as a whole if the date and1 hour of elimination is alright. 

Please take a note that just because 4 people will say its fine, I will still contact each captain. This will also not take place this month. 

I'm sorry for starting drama but I need to call this out because it's unfair for every person who couldn't register for TT.

First off, you shouldn't change the rules without people knowing - not only do I remember it being that you can edit your team up to an hour after the sign ups, but it's also disrespectful to existing team members who would otherwise like a chance to shine.

image.png.f7b2cda5e3ee96c77b97f8f9681aba73.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

By enabling this rule you are now letting anyone represent any team - friends of teams will be able to help each other win TT's, playing for another team just to stop a potential opponent, and so on. Again, this is also disrespecting existing team members who would love to play.

"But it's the captain and team leader's choice on which players should play"

Well then in that case that person should respect their own teammates, trust them and give them the valuable experience of playing against very good players.

In order to build trust with the community you need to have clear communication, this hasn't been the case as a lot of people were not aware of this rule change.

I'll provide feedback on your other points shortly - but please address these issues if you want future TT's to have any credibility.

Edited by Imperial
Btw for any doubters check page 2.

The other problem is that team members from big pvp teams can just join smaller teams that made it into sign ups. Effectively making that team an alt team, and alt teams are ruled to be in reserves. The alt team scores points for the small team, and maybe drops the game against their main team if that happens. It's a win-win for both teams and there is almost no reason not to do it.

Outdated and nonsensical sign-up method for the only tournament that matters, classic.
Having rankings tied to a system in which you need luck to even participate is just plain silly.
I'm sure there's a plethora of better methods, off the top of my head:

• Allow it to be 32 teams and split the tournament in 2 evenings, random seeding would mean that you'd tweak your ranking system numbers accordingly.
  • Hold a separate TT for beginner teams, league A & B based on past performance, shuffling every X months with teams going up and down. You made a ranking system, flawed but it exists, make use of it?
  • Give TC an active role in TTs, holding trials for fresh teams to accept/deny entry in the competition. We've seen fresh teams take a spot over established teams almost every month over the years. I personally don't mind it but I know some do, that could be an option to explore.
  • Tie TTs to automated tournaments, teams holding players with the highest win% / finals appearances / whatever you deem a sufficient treshold of competitive presence would be granted a spot, that's how you'd decide the bracket, not only promoting TTs as the endgame content that it has always been but also increasing your automated tournament turnout.

People who are more invested likely have even better ideas, my point is this:

• TTs feel and have historically felt less professionally held than community events like PSL, that should never be the case. Whether you like it or not, having only 1 staff member communicating here is sad.
  • Players jumping from team to team right before TT to guarantee a spot for themselves tarnish the integrity of TTs. It should be a team effort, not a piggybacking effort off of one talented player. Too many times we've seen easily recognizable names in fresh / different teams for them to jump back where they came from when TT ended. Crack down on it, I assure you it is always done pretty blatantly.
  • This is for the devs: teams are an integral part of your game design, the endgame content for competitive teams is TT. I'm in disbelief at the fact that this little attention is given to it outside of its own bubble of competitive players. With the player growth you have seen it should be a surprise that only 30 or so teams even sign up as only 3 people are technically needed. How many staff members do you assign to designing and running it? How about more? As a first step how about 1 staff member that can manage the languages you support? You'd likely avoid this:
  • e8a637398027ac1c188a9b0902f262b3.png
1 hour ago, Imperial said:

First off, you shouldn't change the rules without people knowing - not only do I remember it being that you can edit your team up to an hour after the sign ups, but it's also disrespectful to existing team members who would otherwise like a chance to shine.

image.png.f7b2cda5e3ee96c77b97f8f9681aba73.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

By enabling this rule you are now letting anyone represent any team - friends of teams will be able to help each other win TT's, playing for another team just to stop a potential opponent, and so on. Again, this is also disrespecting existing team members who would love to play.

Editing players in is allowed, up to an hour before tournament, if they were not registered to play for another team.

I don't think I understand you here. "If they were not registered to play for another team" suggests that GasaiYunoSan can't play for Enix cause he was registered for VGC.

However, player could always hop on alt and register for another team if he was not registered for other teams. I will go across all entries and post a list of allowed teams and players, no problem. 

15 minutes ago, Draekyn said:

Outdated and nonsensical sign-up method for the only tournament that matters, classic.
Having rankings tied to a system in which you need luck to even participate is just plain silly.
I'm sure there's a plethora of better methods, off the top of my head:

• Allow it to be 32 teams and split the tournament in 2 evenings, random seeding would mean that you'd tweak your ranking system numbers accordingly.
  • Hold a separate TT for beginner teams, league A & B based on past performance, shuffling every X months with teams going up and down. You made a ranking system, flawed but it exists, make use of it?
  • Give TC an active role in TTs, holding trials for fresh teams to accept/deny entry in the competition. We've seen fresh teams take a spot over established teams almost every month over the years. I personally don't mind it but I know some do, that could be an option to explore.
  • Tie TTs to automated tournaments, teams holding players with the highest win% / finals appearances / whatever you deem a sufficient treshold of competitive presence would be granted a spot, that's how you'd decide the bracket, not only promoting TTs as the endgame content that it has always been but also increasing your automated tournament turnout.

People who are more invested likely have even better ideas, my point is this:

• TTs feel and have historically felt less professionally held than community events like PSL, that should never be the case. Whether you like it or not, having only 1 staff member communicating here is sad.
  • Players jumping from team to team right before TT to guarantee a spot for themselves tarnish the integrity of TTs. It should be a team effort, not a piggybacking effort off of one talented player. Too many times we've seen easily recognizable names in fresh / different teams for them to jump back where they came from when TT ended. Crack down on it, I assure you it is always done pretty blatantly.
  • This is for the devs: teams are an integral part of your game design, the endgame content for competitive teams is TT. I'm in disbelief at the fact that this little attention is given to it outside of its own bubble of competitive players. With the player growth you have seen it should be a surprise that only 30 or so teams even sign up as only 3 people are technically needed. How many staff members do you assign to designing and running it? How about more? As a first step how about 1 staff member that can manage the languages you support? You'd likely avoid this:
  • e8a637398027ac1c188a9b0902f262b3.png

An A and B league (16 teams and 8 teams?) based on points from the previous year to begin with wouldn't be a bad idea with teams moving up and down through the leagues depending on wins and points month by month and any other factors that may come into play

Edited by ItsGray
2 minutes ago, Bearminator said:

Editing players in is allowed, up to an hour before tournament, if they were not registered to play for another team.

I don't think I understand you here. "If they were not registered to play for another team" suggests that GasaiYunoSan can't play for Enix cause he was registered for VGC.

But Gasai admitted that he's playing for ENIX just for TT (ENIX are in) as VGC weren't able to make sign ups, according to your rules because VGC etc didn't make the sign ups we can all join the teams that did sign up, which is what Gasai did with ENIX as it's now technically allowed.

14 minutes ago, Draekyn said:

*Wall of text*

I feel this is all too complicated ^

Just buff prizes and do a qualifying tournament for 1 spot to get into, if you missed out prove you deserve to be in there. 32 teams is gonna be a nightmare for the mods to handle. Quite unreasonable.

I really have an issue with TT's current prizes.. 1k RP each is the same or LESS than an automated tournament which do not generate the same numbers + hype a TT does... I feel it needs to be re evaluated - tt's have been running on fumes of team drama/beef and boredom of said team's on a late Saturday for years now.. A better prize would really revitalize a lot of peoples motivation to play them.

Also I'd like to add can we have a system where you have to lock in your line ups to the specific ref who's hosting your matches. I feel there is always some 5Head psy op strats to put off your opponent where both teams don't line up the correct people until the last second. Both captains should message the 3 players who are going to play in that round and have them locked in. Ref's announce who's playing who for each tier THEN you have 10 mins prep time.

Edited by Lvkee
On 1/28/2021 at 9:00 PM, gbwead said:

Team Name: Sic Itur Ad Astra
Team Tag: [SIÂ]
Registered Players: Mkns MadaraSixSix gbwead Stelian Schuchty Jaawax Lunarck Kanicula Tawla YUBELLLLLLLLLLL Evenils Eastsiideboy AwaXGoku Azphiel Enchanteur Sejuani Pirlo daveN Pinklabel.
Team Captain: Mkns

On 1/28/2021 at 9:00 PM, Stokes said:

Team Name: ShadowOfThePast

Team Tag: [Pâst]

Registered Players: Fibraxxxx, PikachuKetchum, lLeviX, Clayclover, harlamgamer, TiburoncinDS, Joniton, killuacuba, JakiroMax, GuapaAelia, Rickypoke, StokesAG, RohMartinez, Hernjet, Devilongo, ShellUny, SiwanMS, DiositoSlurpuff, PoisonAbben, Teaar.

Team Captain: Teaar

On 1/28/2021 at 9:00 PM, ByakuyaXl said:

Team Tag: [BR]

Team Name: Brasil

Registered Players: makarovmaster, Deadwind, Elvessss, Shentiger, Melikos, Jhowteon, Rafapallet, Alerqs, ByakuyaXl, BiondiOito, Shiforinfulas, xYugin, AndreyMalthuz, tacamura, RickAlvares.

Team Captain: makarovmaster

On 1/28/2021 at 9:00 PM, RedixTz said:

Team Name: ShadowOfThePast Team Tag: [Pâst] Registered Players: Fibraxxxx, PikachuKetchum, Huargensy, lLeviX, Clayclover, harlamgamer, TiburoncinDS, Joniton, killuacuba, JakiroMax, Rickypoke, StokesAG, RohMartinez, Hernjet, Devilongo, ShellUny, SiwanMS, DiositoSlurpuff, PoisonAbben, Teaar.

Team Captain: Teaar

On 1/28/2021 at 9:00 PM, Xigbar said:

Team Name: SonsOfTheDeath Team

Tag: HDLM 

Players: RealDevilLegend, AkaruKokuyo, NagaHex, zMago, Killuminatis, JasonSparrowX, Zenenn, Makx, DarkQuiler, xPauu, BadBaarsito, TojoYoyo, aspacee, xJoseee, neblinamist.

Captain: RealDevilLegend

On 1/28/2021 at 9:00 PM, Quinn010 said:

Team Name: Optic

Team Tag: [OpTc]

Registered Players: Thinknicer, Dindra, Incognition, OddishSprout, Ploegy Team Captain: Pinkwings

Just checked and those entries can't be counted. They were edited from non-all information posts. I will clear the spam there and post bracket once again

1 minute ago, Bearminator said:

Just checked and those entries can't be counted. They were edited from non-all information posts. I will clear the spam there and post bracket once again

I think you should never have changed the rule where you have 1 hour for sign ups, also the fact that people not registered in a team can play.

You may as well have allowed alt accounts to play.

7 minutes ago, Bearminator said:

I thought we were allowed to edit???

On 1/20/2021 at 7:29 PM, Bearminator said:

* Only registered players are allowed to play.

* Registration must include all information below:

Team Name:
Team Tag:
Registered Players:
Team Captain:

(Note: The Team Captain is who I will be contacting if I need to relay information to your team.)

+ Registration without all information will not be counted. 

+ Editing players in is allowed, up to an hour before tournament, if they were not registered to play for another team.

Example of valid entry 

Team Tag: GM

Team Name: GameMasters
Registered Players: Rache Munya SecretDjinn
Team Captain: Munya

If I notice your team is an alt team, when creating the bracket and reserves list I will put that team on the last spot of reserves.

Team Players Gap: 20

On 1/28/2021 at 6:19 PM, Bearminator said:

Yes like this:

Team Tag: GM

Team Name: GameMasters
Registered Players: Rache Munya SecretDjinn
Team Captain: Munya

In 2 hours 40 minutes.

3 minutes ago, gbwead said:

I thought we were allowed to edit???

You are allowed to edit, but all information needs to be there from the start.  I require all information for entry to be legit. 

At this point Im just almost tempted to run it 32 team and that's it.

I've left the legit entries and hide the edited ones and duplicates. As result, this is list of teams:

VVVV NORE BLUE WTE
AvE syns Enix LORD
CORE LAVA blue Gear
GOK DD PNXS Past

More worrying is the list of reserves tho:

LIVE LEM optc hdlm SIA BR ZERO RE ROSE  BSDO hpx vgc Slsy JEST GHIS TWST AsF chse

2 minutes ago, Bearminator said:

You are allowed to edit, but all information needs to be there from the start.  I require all information for entry to be legit. 

At this point Im just almost tempted to run it 32 team and that's it.

I've left the legit entries and hide the edited ones and duplicates. As result, this is list of teams:

VVVV NORE BLUE WTE
AvE syns Enix LORD
CORE LAVA blue Gear
GOK DD PNXS Past

More worrying is the list of reserves tho:

LIVE LEM optc hdlm SIA BR ZERO RE ROSE  BSDO hpx vgc Slsy JEST GHIS TWST AsF chse

You may as well let more teams enter during the lockdown months or you're just going to have players join other teams while you've allowed this new rule, (we already had a VGC player join ENIX lol)

Besides, after the Einstein tourneys running for 6+ hours I'm sure an extra hour won't hurt people.

Edited by Imperial
1 minute ago, Imperial said:

Besides, after the Einstein tourneys running for 6+ hours I'm sure an extra hour won't hurt people.

I am not so sure. We have 3 or 4 people voicing themselves here rn, and with that chance we would have to count at least 1 hour more. Not everyone will be able to do to it. 

Sure on one hand we can argue that its one hour and TT last long, but people prepare for 4 hours max, not 5. Dunno how that would affect some teams.

6 hours ago, Bearminator said:

This seems like a good amount of extra work. Not complaining, but I feel like if you guys are willing to do that, it might be best to put in place the 2019 player tournaments points system as a way to qualify for team tournaments. Something similar to this perhaps:

11ebbfb33783cee626b5734725acac28.png

I don't know if it would be possible to make such a point system automatic, but if that is the case it would be imo the best way for teams to qualify for team tournaments.

Just now, Bearminator said:

I am not so sure. We have 3 or 4 people voicing themselves here rn, and with that chance we would have to count at least 1 hour more. Not everyone will be able to do to it. 

Sure on one hand we can argue that its one hour and TT last long, but people prepare for 4 hours max, not 5. Dunno how that would affect some teams.

That's a fair point, but if these teams are serious about signing up then they will make sure that they are prepared. Besides, the reason for a big lineup is for players to alternate between matches.

From what I've observed, TTs tend to be around 3 hours (since it takes a while to call all the teams) 

Just now, gbwead said:

This seems like a good amount of extra work. Not complaining, but I feel like if you guys are willing to do that, it might be best to put in place the 2019 player tournaments points system as a way to qualify for team tournaments. Something similar to this perhaps:

I am not worried about additional hour of duels. Even if 32 teams will register for TT (and we will have match on thursday) its +- 1 hour of time. 

I'm more worried that its another hour that few players from each team has to put into yet another day. 

1 minute ago, Imperial said:

That's a fair point, but if these teams are serious about signing up then they will make sure that they are prepared. Besides, the reason for a big lineup is for players to alternate between matches.

From what I've observed, TTs tend to be around 3 hours (since it takes a while to call all the teams) 

Last TT lasted 3 and a bit iirc, Doubles duels were rather quick.  

I am willing to do both. To try to make it 32 teams and then go from then, depending on how much time it will take. 

7 minutes ago, gbwead said:

if you guys are willing to do that, it might be best to put in place the 2019 player tournaments points system as a way to qualify for team tournaments. Something similar to this perhaps:

11ebbfb33783cee626b5734725acac28.png

I don't know if it would be possible to make such a point system automatic, but if that is the case it would be imo the best way for teams to qualify for team tournaments.

seems to be one of the best way to have the best team to compete for TT and IMO it can really help to grow the pvp community in the game ! People will not only play tournament for themselve but for their team too ! Increasing the pvp community and also make TT with a better average level !

42 minutes ago, Bearminator said:

I need a full explanation you corrupted bearminator before i make a big issue here. And you have 30 minutes. Thank you

1 minute ago, Xigbar said:

I need a full explanation you corrupted bearminator before i make a big issue here. And you have 30 minutes. Thank you

Your entry was originally "HDLM"

* Registration must include all information below:

Team Name:
Team Tag:
Registered Players:
Team Captain: