Tips for noobs in finances

sandronejm

Question

Whatsuuup,

Don't take me bad, but I think some people get loss there in gtl, for ignorance, I really think about there pop a alert only to help extremely low prices, like: This parcel was sold in average for 53,440 PokeYen on last week. Are you sure to sell for 25,000? Item issued: Exp. Share

I know that most of guys wont agree with this, because of freedom on marketplace, but it is for everyone protection.Sometimes you just click in the wrong button and sell something wrongly.

See ya

Edit

Piece guys!

Thanks

Edited by sandronejm

8 answers to this question

Hi, I think this is a bad idea and here's my reasoning:

The point of a market is that there is no central regulatory authority which controls the prices of goods and services. This encourages innovation and naturally assigns values to products based on the relationship between supply and demand.

What you are proposing is a form of price control, in which the staff set "approved prices" for items sold on GTL and outside of that range you receive a warning. The main problem is that when prices are kept artificially low or high, demand moves so far in the opposite direction that they result in either shortages (price floor) or gluts (price ceiling) in supply. Both of these would have negative effects on the PokeMMO economy. As a result, I think it's better that the price naturally be allowed to fluctuate.

Here's an example: The price of Totodiles fluctuates between about 20k and about 50k, depending on the number listed and what they're listed for. When prices are high, people are incentivised to go to the Safari Zone to farm Totodiles, since listing at a lower price would result in a sale more quickly (as people often sort by low price). As more listings are added, the price decays until it's no longer worth people's time to try to catch Totodiles, or at least fewer people do it. Then the catalogue of Totodiles is slowly consumed at the low price point as demand is steady or increases, until it becomes valuable to farm them again.

In the situation you're proposing, putting a warning like "Are you sure? Totodiles sell for 50k, you know" will discourage people from listing 'diles at less than 50k. This will result in a large number of Totodiles listed at 50k, or at least a larger proportion than are now, and thus the price will move down significantly more slowly. This makes Totodiles less affordable, since they never or rarely get back down to the 20k mark.

If you were to move the window to, for example, the average of all listings of the same type that sold in the last week, that's still not much better, as it has the same effect but at a slower rate.

Really it's just up to people to double-check the asking price when they list high-value items on the GTL, or better yet, post them here on the forums or in /trade and sell directly to ensure the price is agreed in advance. Caveat vendor!

Hope this helps!

I would like to extend this subject for those who sell something for a higher price and needs to cancel the item listing.

For example: exp. Share for 70k, wont sell never.

Pay a tax when insert a listing to be able to give pos discount.

Example:

I will add exp share for 70k and if not sell I want to make it 15% off.

I pay a fee/tax when insert my listin to be able to enable a sale of 5%, 10%, 15% or 20% up to 50%.

When you add a sale, can't back to the original price.

You can increase the sale, but never go back

Edited by sandronejm
1 hour ago, MoxPeanut said:

Hi, I think this is a bad idea and here's my reasoning:

The point of a market is that there is no central regulatory authority which controls the prices of goods and services. This encourages innovation and naturally assigns values to products based on the relationship between supply and demand.

What you are proposing is a form of price control, in which the staff set "approved prices" for items sold on GTL and outside of that range you receive a warning. The main problem is that when prices are kept artificially low or high, demand moves so far in the opposite direction that they result in either shortages (price floor) or gluts (price ceiling) in supply. Both of these would have negative effects on the PokeMMO economy. As a result, I think it's better that the price naturally be allowed to fluctuate.

Here's an example: The price of Totodiles fluctuates between about 20k and about 50k, depending on the number listed and what they're listed for. When prices are high, people are incentivised to go to the Safari Zone to farm Totodiles, since listing at a lower price would result in a sale more quickly (as people often sort by low price). As more listings are added, the price decays until it's no longer worth people's time to try to catch Totodiles, or at least fewer people do it. Then the catalogue of Totodiles is slowly consumed at the low price point as demand is steady or increases, until it becomes valuable to farm them again.

In the situation you're proposing, putting a warning like "Are you sure? Totodiles sell for 50k, you know" will discourage people from listing 'diles at less than 50k. This will result in a large number of Totodiles listed at 50k, or at least a larger proportion than are now, and thus the price will move down significantly more slowly. This makes Totodiles less affordable, since they never or rarely get back down to the 20k mark.

If you were to move the window to, for example, the average of all listings of the same type that sold in the last week, that's still not much better, as it has the same effect but at a slower rate.

Really it's just up to people to double-check the asking price when they list high-value items on the GTL, or better yet, post them here on the forums or in /trade and sell directly to ensure the price is agreed in advance. Caveat vendor!

Hope this helps!

Nice man, though not every player has a forum account or even consider checking prices with someone, because it can't trust in someone, or someone is gonna try to scam him.

The pop alert is a trustable information, you know? They are literally trading gold for copper.

Piece!

Edited by sandronejm

The thing is GTL prices, especially for vanities change too much. If you were to say that oh this item was this much last week, it'll be the same price the next week, and the next week, and the next week and so on. This will generally either inflate the prices or deflate the prices of everything. It would cause marketflipping to stop. Also how does this system deal with the Pretty Butterfly Wings like incidens? 

I don't see price not floating Financiar guy.

- The data on last week could be empty.

- The parcel takes much time or not sell never for the same price of last week.

- The parcel sells to fast with same price of last week.

- Everyone is able to put a different price from last week.

This feature could apply to players with less than 100 hours. It is tips for noobs ;)

I think you were a bit radical about it.

Edited by sandronejm