What's the crowd like here?

Jedi

Hi everyone... I just found this game and I was wondering what is the demographic here and how is the content in the game? I have a 10 year old son and I am considering letting him play, but I want to make sure it's fairly safe for him. I know that "it's the internet" and since it's an MMO that it's impossible to be 100% safe... I was just wondering if the community is mostly wholesome, or a bunch of arrogant cussing teenagers.

Thanks!

There are a lot of nice people but also a lot of people you should just avoid.

Anyways, we're definitely not a bunch of cussing teenagers but we're not a church choir either. If you let your son play I would recommend you keep his language filter on and both you and your son stay away from global chat. Other than that there shouldn't be a problem.

Well, I hate to say this but...

I have to be honest and the community here is not the best. If you stay away from the forums, do not allow the Global,channel, and shout chat he should be ok.

Yeah, I suggest not playing this. Yet its a very fun game.

Edit: yes there are many nice players too.

[quote name='Kimikozen' timestamp='1360199863' post='187790']
Well, I hate to say this but...

I have to be honest and the community here is not the best. If you stay away from the forums, do not allow the Global,channel, and shout chat he should be ok.

Yeah, I suggest not playing this. Yet its a very fun game.

Edit: yes there are many nice players too.
[/quote] The forums are nothing to worry about as I doubt his son will be interested in them. Channel is usually fine. It's just global to look out for. I'd also recommend you [u][i][b]NEVER[/b][/i][/u] go onto channel 1. That is where the cussing teenagers are.

Personally...and this is just my opinion...I wouldn't let a 10 year old play this game. Yes it is Pokemon, but due to players of all ages, all over the world things tend to be more mature.

The best idea would be to play it for awhile yourself, then make a decision in regards to your son. Only you can ultimately say what is okay for him or not.

[quote name='Raichufan' timestamp='1360200282' post='187798']
hey dude there are nice people here then they're are....."them"
*cough*lax*cough*
if you go to channel 8 and turn off trade global and channel your fine channel 8 has the less "them" people
[/quote]
Pls, lax was fine. He trolled on purpose and for the lulz. It's the stupid people who do dumb stuff and think its fine you've got to watch out for.

I would not recommend any online game with a free chat (PokeMMO included) for anybody under the age of 14. Profanity and other 'mature' content is quite common here, although we take measures against the worst of it (Sexually explicit content, racism, hate speech, etc.) To give you an idea, the average age of a player for PokeMMO is 16-25.

Additionally, the game as a whole is not completed yet. Technical issues are quite common as the game develops and will be that way for the next few months.

[quote name='Kimikozen' timestamp='1360279682' post='189084']
Edward is talking about Orangeslash. As he does in half of his posts :P
:D
Anyways(Inside joke), Show us the results, and we can give you more feedback
[/quote][quote name='Kyu' timestamp='1360280053' post='189095']
I would not recommend any online game with a free chat (PokeMMO included) for anybody under the age of 14. Profanity and other 'mature' content is quite common here, although we take measures against the worst of it (Sexually explicit content, racism, hate speech, etc.) To give you an idea, the average age of a player for PokeMMO is 16-25.

Additionally, the game as a whole is not completed yet. Technical issues are quite common as the game develops and will be that way for the next few months.
[/quote]

I was talking about Kyu and Orangeslash.... :3
Orangeslash wants me so bad, when he thinks of me he's like *refer to spoiler*
[spoiler][img]http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4qk1ojOpz1qklrpro1_500.gif[/img][/spoiler]

[quote name='Jedi' timestamp='1360199111' post='187761']
a bunch of arrogant cussing teenagers.
[/quote]

This; But to it's credit, PokeMMO comes with a vulgarity chat filter built in.

If it was me, I would think a little bit of exposure would do a young lad some good, on the condition they know to never divulge any personal information on the internet. (And I would say the same for any website or service on the internet).

If you have a specific reservation or sensitivity towards explicit content or topics, then I would not recommend your child use the internet nor in turn play PokeMMO.

For me, I find that there is much more of a language barrier (from attempting to converse with many different types of people from all over the world), rather than encountering vulgarity or sensitive topics in PokeMMO; But those are my experiences on the matter.

Hope that helps, and (possibly) welcome!

in my experiance, like veryone has said, keep him away from global and channel chat, one theres so much talk its anoyying and 2, thats where the trolls live, you can stay channel 1 but its not recommended once you get to celadon as there seems to be a team there speaking another language and wont stop asking me out or challanging me to a battle >.> (probably not a problem for you and your son as your male XD) but if you avoid ALL THAT then the community is really good, most people in the area are friendly and will help you out, there are some teams out there who would be fairly child friendly i've seen a few of them and been in one or two (but im a cussing girl and annoys me not able to swear) just have your filter on and your all good :3

Also supervise your child every now and again, if your child lies about your age they may learn stuff they shouldnt...i am a little guilty of that >.>; she said she was 16 but she was only 11 ><; i taught her to many things a girl isnt supposed to know at that age >.>;

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='TheRook' timestamp='1360405522' post='190869']
Just keep him away from the misc crew and team bong, they are a bad influence. And if he gets a shiny try not to trade with team rain.
[/quote]

While I wouldn't say that's entirely true... I'd say that there is a fairly large contingent of individuals who either are trolls, idiots, or actually mean/hateful/arrogant teenagers/racist/etc. Global has a lot of these, as does Channel 1. Channel 2 was largely safe until recently :(

As for the teams the ones that focus on 'inappropriate' materials such as Team Bong generally tend to avoid discussions of what that entails (usually because it starts a flame war) and also because they usually don't care about what is happening in the rest of the game. There are still exceptions though.

EDIT: Sorry thought this part was unclear. Full disclosure I'm an officer on Team Bong. Most of our members live in places where marijuana use is decriminalized or approved for medical use. As for discussions of marijuana, we generally don't start any outside of our own guild - if we get called out on our name we respond and if we see a discussion of it we'll join in. We'll never say (in seriousness) that marijuana is good for you or that young children (ie those of age 10) should smoke it - if you or anyone else sees someone saying this seriously (or at all to a younger child) take a screenshot and let me know. They won't say it again, at least not as a member of Team Bong. Anyway we're *mostly* harmless and most other teams are too.

Anyway if that was too long let me sum it up - its like any online game or forum or anything that allows mostly free chat. There are people who will be fine and nice and there will be very not nice people. IMO 10 is too young for this game, but if you think you can keep them from the worse parts of the game then go for it! PokeMMO is a great game and everyone should enjoy it!

Edited by Dannnno