Questions about matchmaking

Yo, so I've been back playing less than a week after taking a 14 month break. Quite a few changes to matchmaking I noticed. 

My 1st question is, how does this ELO system work when it comes to matching you against players in Ranked? Because I just got matched with the #18 player on OU leaderboards and my ELO was only in the lower 550s. (Its 547 NOW). Is it not a "your rank vs. a similar rank"? Is 550 vs a 750+ normal?

2nd question is, obviously I just came back in the middle of this season. Seasons weren't a thing last time I played so i'm wondering when season 5 ends. I looked around and learned they last 3 months (?) I just dunno when this one started.

Thanks for any info! 

EDIT: Also, the season reward, what are the requirements to get that?

Spoiler

proof of matching 

trihjL3.png

yw7WnGq.png

Edited by Staggiie

My 1st question is, how does this ELO system work when it comes to matching you against players in Ranked? Because I just got matched with the #18 player on OU leaderboards and my ELO was only in the lower 550s. (Its 547 NOW). Is it not a "your rank vs. a similar rank"? Is 550 vs a 750+ normal?

Usually you face players that are similar to your ELO range (e.g. Regular trainers will face novice/regular and occasionally ace trainers, Ace trainers will face regular/ace trainers, etc). However if the ladder is quiet or sometimes if you've joined the queue at the same time then you'll likely face high ELO / elite players.

2nd question is, obviously I just came back in the middle of this season. Seasons weren't a thing last time I played so i'm wondering when season 5 ends. I looked around and learned they last 3 months (?) I just dunno when this one started.

Seasons are usually 3 months long - season 5 started in July, so will end at the end of September. 

3 hours ago, Staggiie said:

Is 550 vs a 750+ normal?

The matchmaking is extremely inconsistent.

I was unranked and played against the #2 player back-to-back games, followed by the #73 and #3 player in the same day.

Ever since becoming ranked & getting as high as #52, I haven't played against anyone else in the top-100. It makes zero sense from the experience I've had.