[TOOL] Gilan's Encounter Counter (Beta Available) v1.0.3 update

4 minutes ago, Bryce said:

Can you tell me what I'm missing? Everything looks good here but it's not counting my encounters when I run the app. I tried Borderless and Windowed Borderless.

image.thumb.png.e629f04ba1a34f6fd2af3291ec1008c4.png

Does the black window briefly pop-up upon startup of my app? (should be a decently sized black window that appears for a few seconds)

Please go into ./Gilans Encounter Counter/debug and see if either of the two files there are populated with anything. If they are, please either screenshot or pastebin the contents and send to me (via pm).

If they are empty, can you please send me a screenshot of what it looks like when you are in a wild battle? (and if you can also capture the moment "A wild X appeared!" is visible, too?)

2 hours ago, GodofKawaii said:

4r0z8ge.gif

so far the only problem ive had is with minimizing pokemmo

So, in the upcoming version, if you do this, you will be able to click on the app and then press ctrl+f (using left control) and this will tell my app to force count the encounter.

The issue here is that when you minimized the client while encountering the horde, my app missed out on the "A wild horde appeared!" text, so it never figured out that a battle started.

It's better if you just tab out of pokemmo and not minimize it.

1 hour ago, Pecaeme said:

The power went out causing my pc to shut down unexpectedly and now I get this:

gecError.PNG

Oh very interesting. Looks like the power cut out right when my app was saving to the gecconfig.json. That's crazy timing.

So my recommendation would be to extract the zip download to a different folder (we just need to grab 1 file from it). Then go in to this new extract, and go to the ./Gilans Encounter Counter/config folder. There should be a file there called "gecconfig.json". Go ahead and open that up with a text editor (like notepad). Change the active_profile and active_hunt to whatever you had them called (it is case sensitive). If you don't remember what you called them, you can open up your countFile.json in the ./Gilans Encounter Counter/saveData folder (of your original app install). This should have which profiles and hunts were available in your program.

Then copy that gecconfig.json to your original app install config folder. Then try to boot up the app again.

edit: this is good learning for myself. I can probably make the saving process more robust to avoid corrupted files due to unforeseen circumstances like power outages.

edit2: also, if the above instructions did not work, feel free to pm me to further debug the issue. Or, just delete your old version and download a fresh version of my app. I apologize for the bug, will hopefully have more robust code in the next release.

Edited by Gilan
58 minutes ago, Gilan said:

Oh very interesting. Looks like the power cut out right when my app was saving to the gecconfig.json. That's crazy timing.

So my recommendation would be to extract the zip download to a different folder (we just need to grab 1 file from it). Then go in to this new extract, and go to the ./Gilans Encounter Counter/config folder. There should be a file there called "gecconfig.json". Go ahead and open that up with a text editor (like notepad). Change the active_profile and active_hunt to whatever you had them called (it is case sensitive). If you don't remember what you called them, you can open up your countFile.json in the ./Gilans Encounter Counter/saveData folder (of your original app install). This should have which profiles and hunts were available in your program.

Then copy that gecconfig.json to your original app install config folder. Then try to boot up the app again.

I'm still getting the same error message. I think I put the exact names that I had before, but I can't check the countFile.json file: 

error2.PNG

countfile.PNG

5 minutes ago, Pecaeme said:

I'm still getting the same error message. I think I put the exact names that I had before, but I can't check the countFile.json file: 

error2.PNG

countfile.PNG

yeah, so that fixed your gecconfig.json file. The error is now occurring on the count.json file. Honestly, I recommend just doing a clean install, sorry. It looks like the save files corrupted (it's likely that the encounter data pickle file corrupted as well, and this file is not repairable).

I did not expect all the save files to corrupt, only 1.

In the next version of my tool, I will be saving to temporary files and then renaming those temp files to the actual json and pkl file names. This should avoid corruption due to incomplete saves.

Just wanted to give an update,

So I've made a ton of bug fixes and stability improvements. Chances are, if the tool was not counting for you previously, this next version (hoping to release tomorrow/saturday) should now count. And, if it doesn't, I've added some debugging tools that will help in the debug process.

Still only Windows x64 support.

- Added Spanish ROM support

- Improved text matching (way more lenient on what counts as a match, really helps with non-highdpi font and 1.25x-1.75x scaling)

- Fallback screenshot capturing for rare cases where trying to take a screenshot of specifically the pokemmo resulted in a pure black image (likely due to hardware incompatibility). The fallback screenshot will capture windows that exist above the PokeMMO client, so tabbing out is not safe. Should only affect a very small subset of users.

- More robust file saving to avoid corrupted save data due to unexpected system crashes

- Settings page crops to a smaller size and allows scrolling (for those with smaller screens that the settings page could not fit on)

- ctrl+f to force count the encounter

- ctrl+d & debug settings button to assist with debugging. Will prompt you to enter a pokemon's dex id and will generate 4 images in the debug folder (2 screenshots, 1 image of the text render of the pokemon entered, and 1 image of the Lv. string)

Probably some other bugs I squashed thanks to the help of many users who have reported bugs back to me, and took time to work with me to figure out root causes. Seriously, thank you everyone who worked with me to figure out bugs.

The last thing I want to add before pushing the next update is logic to handle custom strings.

Also, when it comes time to update your app. It'll be the same process as a regular install, just when it asks you if you want to replace files, select "replace all". This will not overwrite save files (I restructured it so those files aren't in the download package, but are generated by my app if they don't already exist).

-Gilan

So it took me a while to make this work because of my old mod settings in the main.properties (client.mods.enabled_mods=...).

- The debug file said the mod files are missing from /mods folder - exception from zipfiles.py iirc (I deleted some unused mod files but didn't disable them).

- When I tried to create a text file and rename it to .mod that was the missing mod files, the exception was the file was not a zip file (understandable because it really was not a zip file)

After disabled all my unused mods from the setting. It seems to work well.

If you can and have the time for it, I think you should try to catch the exception for these cases.

Good work.

3 minutes ago, xDatHo said:

So it took me a while to make this work because of my old mod settings in the main.properties (client.mods.enabled_mods=...).

- The debug file said the mod files are missing from /mods folder - exception from zipfiles.py iirc (I deleted some unused mod files but didn't disable them).

- When I tried to create a text file and rename it to .mod that was the missing mod files, the exception was the file was not a zip file (understandable because it really was not a zip file)

After disabled all my unused mods from the setting. It seems to work well.

If you can and have the time for it, I think you should try to catch the exception for these cases.

Good work.

The fix for this issue is included in the update that is currently with PokeMMO staff for review.

I think I forgot to add this one to the known bugs. Thank you for reporting!

First of all, I gotta say, the counter works perfectly, it's very usable, and its definitely a huge improvement over the old Encounter Counters I've been using!

However, I would like to report a small bug that occurs on small bordered screens (this is my preferred window size when playing).

Whenever I right click the Encounter Counter, it opens up the window cropped:

image.thumb.png.6c2f584fafc7736c02e08bdb9ef435fb.png

Which means I have to full screen the whole window to click every possible button (including the "X" on the top right), then I have to go back to the small bordered screen that I'm used to.

I would like to see a feature where the Settings screen had a scroll bar, or was scrollable without a bar, or opens a smaller window on small windowed screens.

Though it's not a big deal, because I don't often open the Settings menu anyway, just a very slight inconvenience.

1 hour ago, Atricos said:

First of all, I gotta say, the counter works perfectly, it's very usable, and its definitely a huge improvement over the old Encounter Counters I've been using!

However, I would like to report a small bug that occurs on small bordered screens (this is my preferred window size when playing).

Whenever I right click the Encounter Counter, it opens up the window cropped:

image.thumb.png.6c2f584fafc7736c02e08bdb9ef435fb.png

Which means I have to full screen the whole window to click every possible button (including the "X" on the top right), then I have to go back to the small bordered screen that I'm used to.

I would like to see a feature where the Settings screen had a scroll bar, or was scrollable without a bar, or opens a smaller window on small windowed screens.

Though it's not a big deal, because I don't often open the Settings menu anyway, just a very slight inconvenience.

this is fixed in the next update that is currently sitting with staff for review. should be much better. It significantly shrinks down and is scrollable.

Edited by Gilan
1 hour ago, PayneStewart said:

The mod doesn't count when I encounter a pokemon? 

EDIT: It works by running GEC after pokemmo is loaded

likely due to accidentally grabbing a small window while pokemmo is booting up, which causes an image match error (matching a target image onto a canvas, which is smaller than said image). I have implemented a safeguard in the code in the next update that should help prevent this.

Also, if you never ran the PokeMMO client before, some necessary files won't exist yet, which will cause my program to fail (but, this is such a niche scenario, I'm not bothering to code around it).

13 minutes ago, PumpActionWang said:

hi so i got the encounter counter to work for single encounter the best but when i do hordes it only counts hordes of 5 as 2.... am i doing something wrong?

Mind pm’ing me a screenshot of what your client looks like in a horde of 5 battle where the counter only counts 2?

It’s pretty likely that the issue is handled in the next update.

I have a feature suggestion.

Sometimes we only care about 1 or 2 specific pokemon encounters, so we don't need (and don't want) to see the changes of other pokemon encounters. Maybe we could pin the pokemon we want and its position won't change. For example, we pin Rattata at slot 1 and Pidgey at slot 2, and these 2 will always be on the top (and the position won't change), even we encounter other pokemon.

It's nice to have but not really necessary. I just put it here so you could consider it.

The counter is great! The only gripe I have is more of a streamer specific one, and that is that the encounter box is pretty low res so if you capture it separately and enlarge it for stream it gets quite blurry. If you can I would try to eventually make it higher res once more important stuff is done, but it's not gonna stop me from using the counter or anything lol