[TOOL] Gilan's Encounter Counter (Beta Available) v1.0.3 update

1 hour ago, SoliDTX said:

The Game is working, Mr Polite. I'm just trying to understand why the mod created by Gilan Stopped to work.

And I did not change anything..

You quoted a reply about modifying system files and the game not working subsequently ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Post the error logs found in \debug

1 hour ago, nurver9 said:

You quoted a reply about modifying system files and the game not working subsequently ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Post the error logs found in \debug

That's OK.
I've quoted because when I looked into the debug I found the same output.

image.png.bc5f305891531139a726c27f4a5209f4.png

But I'm not a fan to change things without sufficient knowledge. I did not use any strings things mentioned on the Post I have quoted.

What I did so far:

- Tried to change UI scaling for 1.5x and 1.25.
- reinstall Pokemmo and GEC mod,

- create a new profile on settings

- Test with all themes.

I'm running Win 10 last update (KB5018410)

1 hour ago, Nathanlooms said:

Since the new update on pokemmo my encounter counter has stopped working i've tried deleting it and reinstalling it but nothing seems to help it's stuck at 0. 

Wondering if you have any ideas on how to fix this? 

Thank you! ❤️

I think the problem started in the same time. I'm not so sure, because past days I was just playing pvps.

Thank you all in advance 🙂

1 hour ago, SoliDTX said:

That's OK.
I've quoted because when I looked into the debug I found the same output.

image.png.bc5f305891531139a726c27f4a5209f4.png

But I'm not a fan to change things without sufficient knowledge. I did not use any strings things mentioned on the Post I have quoted.

What I did so far:

- Tried to change UI scaling for 1.5x and 1.25.
- reinstall Pokemmo and GEC mod,

- create a new profile on settings

- Test with all themes.

I'm running Win 10 last update (KB5018410)

I think the problem started in the same time. I'm not so sure, because past days I was just playing pvps.

Thank you all in advance 🙂

Go through the custom string files that you have. At least one of them is lacking the “is_primary” key in the header of the xml file (you can look at the standard pokemmo strings file to see). Add the “is_primary” key to the header and set it to 0 (or false I’m not at my pc at the moment).

Hope this helps you identify the issue.

3 hours ago, Nathanlooms said:

Since the new update on pokemmo my encounter counter has stopped working i've tried deleting it and reinstalling it but nothing seems to help it's stuck at 0. 

Wondering if you have any ideas on how to fix this? 

Thank you! ❤️

I’m not aware of the new update being a cause for the tool breaking. Did you have to change anything with Java etc. when updating pokemmo?

I am running into the exact same issue as SoliDTX since the halloween update.

gecDebug.log looks like this:

ERROR:root:gecException:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "GilansEncounterCounter.py", line 1294, in run_app
  File "GilansEncounterCounter.py", line 300, in refresh_font_info
  File "GilansEncounterCounter.py", line 135, in refresh_gui_info
KeyError: 'is_primary'

1 hour ago, Gilan said:

I’m not aware of the new update being a cause for the tool breaking. Did you have to change anything with Java etc. when updating pokemmo?

Not that I know of. all I know is that when I went to play this morning my counter was stuck at 53665 and wasn't moving so I tried uninstalling and reinstalling and now it's just stuck at 0. 😕 but it's all good I'll keep trying things to fix it. but if you have any ideas on what to do it's much appreciated! 

1 hour ago, zinnerzPT said:

I am running into the exact same issue as SoliDTX since the halloween update.

gecDebug.log looks like this:

ERROR:root:gecException:
  File "GilansEncounterCounter.py", line 1294, in run_app
  File "GilansEncounterCounter.py", line 300, in refresh_font_info
  File "GilansEncounterCounter.py", line 135, in refresh_gui_info
KeyError: 'is_primary'

And in my reply I explained the issue. There is an xml file in your strings folder (./PokeMMO/data/strings/) that has an incorrect heading. If you open up the xml files in notepad you can look at the heading (literally first 2 lines).

For example, the default strings_en.xml file looks like this for me:

image.png.7b05d718e5006b41a37efd50d19edb0d.png

And the default strings_es.xml file looks like this for me:

image.png.9e1e60dc66aa6ef09ea537417a8ab07e.png

See how they both have is_primary? You need to go through all your string xml files and check to make sure they have this parameter. Only one of them should be set to "1" (whatever is your main language), the rest should be set to "0".

The GEC program expects this in your strings files because it informs the program what text will show up when you encounter pokemon.

Edited by Gilan
1 hour ago, Gilan said:

And in my reply I explained the issue. There is an xml file in your strings folder (./PokeMMO/data/strings/) that has an incorrect heading. If you open up the xml files in notepad you can look at the heading (literally first 2 lines).

For example, the default strings_en.xml file looks like this for me:

image.png.7b05d718e5006b41a37efd50d19edb0d.png

And the default strings_es.xml file looks like this for me:

image.png.9e1e60dc66aa6ef09ea537417a8ab07e.png

See how they both have is_primary? You need to go through all your string xml files and check to make sure they have this parameter. Only one of them should be set to "1" (whatever is your main language), the rest should be set to "0".

The GEC program expects this in your strings files because it informs the program what text will show up when you encounter pokemon.

Sorry I'm relatively new to PokeMMO and I wasn't aware of the (default) strings folder. Apparently the default "strings_pl.xml" file does not have "is_primary" at all, so that is probably what was causing the issue.

Thank you so much for the help, and thanks for the great tool.

4 minutes ago, zinnerzPT said:

Sorry I'm relatively new to PokeMMO and I wasn't aware of the (default) strings folder. Apparently the default "strings_pl.xml" file does not have "is_primary" at all, so that is probably what was causing the issue.

Thank you so much for the help, and thanks for the great tool.

oh I see. Hmm this is a problem since that is a strings file that comes with the client. I'll look into fixing the code for this.

1 hour ago, Gilan said:

Actually @Desu is the strings_pl.xml (Polish) file missing it's header? It's not selectable as a valid client language. I do see it as a chat language though.

image.png.60252c655ddb1ef92084192afb864f66.png

it appears you are correct. header present in 21392, missing since 21578.

I just double checked the files I've been archiving.

<strings is_primary="0" lang="pl" lang_full="Polski (Polish)">

Edited by nurver9
4 hours ago, SoliDTX said:

Thank you @Gilan and @nurver9 for your support.

It seems after the new game patch your mod is working properly again.

Yeah, really glad you guys were able to figure it out. This was affecting a lot of people (even non-GEC users.) so it was great that you came forward with this.

Apologies if my original reply came off as inconsiderate.

im running in to a problem were it wont save my encounter number when the game is closed this i the error read out

File "gui.py", line 414, in safe_save
FileExistsError: [WinError 183] Cannot create a file when that file already exists: 'C:\\Users\\natha\\OneDrive\\Desktop\\PokeMMO\\data\\mods\\Gilans Encounter Counter\\config\\gecconfig.json' -> 'C:\\Users\\natha\\OneDrive\\Desktop\\PokeMMO\\data\\mods\\Gilans Encounter Counter\\config\\gecconfigDelete.json'

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File "gui.py", line 885, in <module>
  File "gui.py", line 813, in run
  File "gui.py", line 420, in save_data
  File "gui.py", line 418, in safe_save
FileExistsError: [WinError 183] Cannot create a file when that file already exists: 'C:\\Users\\natha\\OneDrive\\Desktop\\PokeMMO\\data\\mods\\Gilans Encounter Counter\\config\\tmpvgwrwm3x.tmp' -> 'C:\\Users\\natha\\OneDrive\\Desktop\\PokeMMO\\data\\mods\\Gilans Encounter Counter\\config\\gecconfig.json'

File "gui.py", line 414, in safe_save
FileExistsError: [WinError 183] Cannot create a file when that file already exists: 'C:\\Users\\natha\\OneDrive\\Desktop\\PokeMMO\\data\\mods\\Gilans Encounter Counter\\config\\gecconfig.json' -> 'C:\\Users\\natha\\OneDrive\\Desktop\\PokeMMO\\data\\mods\\Gilans Encounter Counter\\config\\gecconfigDelete.json'

File "gui.py", line 895, in <module>
  File "gui.py", line 420, in save_data
  File "gui.py", line 418, in safe_save
FileExistsError: [WinError 183] Cannot create a file when that file already exists: 'C:\\Users\\natha\\OneDrive\\Desktop\\PokeMMO\\data\\mods\\Gilans Encounter Counter\\config\\tmprl7t_3kd.tmp' -> 'C:\\Users\\natha\\OneDrive\\Desktop\\PokeMMO\\data\\mods\\Gilans Encounter Counter\\config\\gecconfig.json'

Hi Gilan, not sure what I did wrong but I haven't been able to get the encounter counter working recently. It was working when I first started playing PokeMMO but now that I'm trying to start shunting, nothing. Everything looks like it would work until I go do an encounter and she just stays at 0. Creating new profiles and reinstalling has done nothing to fix, any ideas?

Made a short video to demonstrate just in case there is any confusion with my explanation: 

11 hours ago, knocsaM said:

Hi Gilan, not sure what I did wrong but I haven't been able to get the encounter counter working recently. It was working when I first started playing PokeMMO but now that I'm trying to start shunting, nothing. Everything looks like it would work until I go do an encounter and she just stays at 0. Creating new profiles and reinstalling has done nothing to fix, any ideas?

Made a short video to demonstrate just in case there is any confusion with my explanation: 

I see you have modified the games dialog. 

More than likely your error is originating from dialog being removed or your xml headers are incorrectly formatted.

On 11/7/2022 at 8:52 AM, nurver9 said:

I see you have modified the games dialog. 

More than likely your error is originating from dialog being removed or your xml headers are incorrectly formatted.

These specific strings claim to be compatible with GEC, and this has been going on since before I downloaded them. I can try it unmodified again but I don't think I'll see any results.

32 minutes ago, knocsaM said:

These specific strings claim to be compatible with GEC, and this has been going on since before I downloaded them. I can try it unmodified again but I don't think I'll see any results.

Definitely try with a clean strings folder. There have been a lot of formatting issues recently with strings. GEC is very specific about what it needs from those files so they can cause inconsistencies. Make sure that your ingame language, rom language and gec settings language are the same