[TOOL] Gilan's Encounter Counter (Beta Available) v1.0.3 update

2 hours ago, AnonymousPoke said:

Are you sure about that? I distribute software quite a lot at the company I work for and machine paths are and can be a nightmare because its different on each machine of course. But, I thought Windows handles this quite nicely.

For example, I have my original path that is sitting in the PokeMMO Mod folder and it works with the shortcut path at the root level as originally described. All good.

image.png.af4501aba14b4af7c64eb56f60c21d63.png

I then move the folder to my documents instead of under my C Drive where the PokeMMO directory sits and I click on the shortcut and it just works. Once I close the utility, I take a look at the path in the properties and it has automatically changed the paths for me. I think this only works because the shortcut is sitting above the entire other directory paths and it knows where to look even though the location as been moved and the shortcut technically should be invalid - but it is not.

image.png.445d856071cf3bf7a57a0c240b7b542c.png

Honestly, the best way to test this is to put your encounter counter into an odd location and make the shortcut at the root level and then send just the shortcut over to me via mediafire. I will then thrown it into my directory and see what the outcome is. This will for sure let us know.

oh ok huh. Learn something new everyday. I will look into this and test it out. Thanks!

edit: Did not have success with this when I moved the shortcut to a different machine.

Edited by Gilan
4 hours ago, Riesz said:

Good to know, because I think when your tool reaches the community, people may not want to change back to original text

Welp. Turns out using custom string files will break it.

If you just edit the existing language string files, you should be ok.

I am working on a fix to handle custom string files.

59 minutes ago, Gilan said:

Pushed the version that *should* fix the issue of no black window briefly popping up and the counter staying stuck on 0. Please redownload if you were experiencing this issue.

I was having the no black window issue and the new version fix it ?

For me the counter is working fantastically after using the standard english strings.

There is a way to make it work with modded strings - if you delete the original english strings change the modded string file's name to "strings_en", and then edit the strings file to have this in the first 2 lines of text, it will appear in your client as "English" under the client language, and the app should run perfectly from there:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no"?>
<strings lang="en" lang_full="English" is_primary="1">

^This is no longer needed, the counter has been updated (as gilan already pointed out on the front page and later in this thread)

Shout out to @Gilan for being our hero and getting this amazing thing done. Must've taken up a lot of his time. I think the thing I'm most impressed with is how it works straight out of the box with an un-modded-strings client and there's no configurations or settings or really anything most users have to do. Can't tell you how many people I've walked through setting up encounter counters over the years Also nothing in here that's straight up un-useful to the average hunter (is that salt? no idea). He helped several people troubleshoot unique issues on their counter today and I know he has a lot of improvements he wants to add, so thanks everyone for testing and most of all thanks Gilan for being our hero 

Edited by awkways
Counter update

I just wanna say thank you so much Gilan! Even though I haven't been using it for a long time, it seems like it works with an Italian client too! Thank you again ?

EDIT: From my experience, the encounter counter works only with hordes (both from leppa and random). It doesn't work with normal single encounters nor with the dark grass double encounter.

I obviously don't expect for the italian client version to be fixed/released (even though i swicthed the client to english to test this as well), just noting something that may help you ?

Edited by Bertolfoso
4 hours ago, Bertolfoso said:

I just wanna say thank you so much Gilan! Even though I haven't been using it for a long time, it seems like it works with an Italian client too! Thank you again ?

EDIT: From my experience, the encounter counter works only with hordes (both from leppa and random). It doesn't work with normal single encounters nor with the dark grass double encounter.

I obviously don't expect for the italian client version to be fixed/released (even though i swicthed the client to english to test this as well), just noting something that may help you ?

Just to make sure, are you using an English ROM, or did you select the correct ROM language in the encounter counter app's settings?

If it's counting hordes but not single encounters, it's likely a ROM language mismatch. (aka, your ROM has a different text for "A wild {Pokemon} appeared!")

Edited by Gilan
2 hours ago, Gilan said:

Just to make sure, are you using an English ROM, or did you select the correct ROM language in the encounter counter app's settings?

If it's counting hordes but not single encounters, it's likely a ROM language mismatch. (aka, your ROM has a different text for "A wild {Pokemon} appeared!")

Yeah I'm not using an English ROM (I didn't change the language on the encounter counter). Now I understand, thank you ^^

insane work @Gilan really .

Maybe a option @Gilan but when I go into settings , hunt for selected profile and create a new hunt and lets say for example im doing Magikarp so my profile for hunts is magikarp , it still encounter other pokemons on that name .

To avoid this I need to make different profiles .

Would be much better if it automatically knows wich pokemon is encounterd in 'current hunt'

If that could be accomplished add a search tab to the (hunt for selected profile) to let trainers search for the pokemon that has been encounterd .

Great job ~

Edited by systematic
52 minutes ago, systematic said:

insane work @Gilan really .

Maybe a option @Gilan but when I go into settings , hunt for selected profile and create a new hunt and lets say for example im doing Magikarp so my profile for hunts is magikarp , it still encounter other pokemons on that name .

To avoid this I need to make different profiles .

Would be much better if it automatically knows wich pokemon is encounterd in 'current hunt'

If that could be accomplished add a search tab to the (hunt for selected profile) to let trainers search for the pokemon that has been encounterd .

Great job ~

Yeah, I've thought about this, being able to bind specific pokemon to specific hunts (especially when I get around to adding egg hatching to my counter). Will probably add something like this in the future.

Thank you for the feedback

2 hours ago, Gilan said:

Yeah, I've thought about this, being able to bind specific pokemon to specific hunts (especially when I get around to adding egg hatching to my counter). Will probably add something like this in the future.

Thank you for the feedback

Awesome thanks .

42 minutes ago, Neuzzz said:

The mod stops counting when i make the PokeMMO half screen (half right, Discord half left). Plz make it work!!~~

sending you a pm to get some more details

Inherently, half screen shouldn't matter unless the pokemmo ui elements are getting scaled down as a result, or battle text is no longer visible due to the window size being too small.

Edited by Gilan
48 minutes ago, pkqxiaozhi said:

my computer is Windows- 32x,does this APP must start with Windows-64x? or I need other ways to used this encounter? help!?

Currently I have only built this for 64bit. I do believe 32bit is possible, and assuming it is, will provide it at a later date (perhaps next week).