State of Halloween Event

Can we get a statement to why all the strategies the community came up with got instant nerfed?

I can understand that people have to come up with interesting different strategies to beat the hardmode in this event.

The thing is that its frustrating to play if each time you or some one else comes up with a new solution the strat is instant nerfed again.

Where is the reward for the community effort to beat the pumpking?

To add to this: it really sucks having to grind during the event (losing other rewars in the meanwhile) hours to get your Pokemon ready only for it to be nerfed.

If a strategy is truly that broken you'd think they find out during play testing, but making things like this make the event less enjoyable

8 minutes ago, Bertolfoso said:

To add to this: it really sucks having to grind during the event (losing other rewars in the meanwhile) hours to get your Pokemon ready only for it to be nerfed.

If a strategy is truly that broken you'd think they find out during play testing, but making things like this make the event less enjoyable

I dont think its reasonable to expect the limited amount of devs to be able to come up with as many strategies as the whole playerbase combined in their play testing period. For sure it sucks to spend money on a strategy and have it nerfed but it's a risk that comes with events like these where the reward can be immense

Im completely ok with it being hard af and taunt 50%, if it was at the start of the event. this doesnt even last a full week, let alone most of it is during the week.

Pumpking is difficult enough where it requires halloween cookie (if not, what were these cookies made for?). Cookies were near unobtainable for the beginning of this event, bunch of overpriced cookies leftover from last year. Thanks to gtl colors i knew i was getting scammed every time i bought a 180k ghost cookie. 

can we add a mage staff glove item??? it can just be like a wand pls?

5 minutes ago, Juaske said:

I dont think its reasonable to expect the limited amount of devs to be able to come up with as many strategies as the whole playerbase combined in their play testing period. For sure it sucks to spend money on a strategy and have it nerfed but it's a risk that comes with events like these where the reward can be immense

You are right that they can't predict every possible strategy, but it is also true that many things dont work on pumpking (way more obscure than taunt). The fight was already very rng dependant, this only discourages trying the boss as you dont know when they will nerf X strategy, making you lose tons of money for nothing.

Spoiler

Im completely ok with it being hard af and taunt 50%, if it was at the start of the event. this doesnt even last a full week, let alone most of it is during the week.

Pumpking is difficult enough where it requires halloween cookie (if not, what were these cookies made for?). Cookies were near unobtainable for the beginning of this event, bunch of overpriced cookies leftover from last year. Thanks to gtl colors i knew i was getting scammed every time i bought a 180k ghost cookie. 

can we add a mage staff glove item??? it can just be like a wand pls?

Yep. I leveled 5 mons to level 100 since the event started and I have wasted my time. Really sucks.

Edited by Bertolfoso

I just think it's extremely hard to balance something like this when the premier reward (Pumpking goodie bags) dropped to 80k on the 2nd day of the event. (Oni mask 600k, Mage Staff 1m, etc)

There has to be a balance between making the boss beatable, but not farmable to the point where the rewards aren't worth anything by the end of the event. Once they nerfed taunt, the prices shot back up, and teammates of mine are still beating it without much trouble. 

This change was made as Taunt trivialized the boss to an unreasonable degree, allowing players to mindlessly follow a guide to beat the whole thing extremely consistently in 10-11 turns with few items in ~10 minutes of gameplay. When designing something intended to be fought repeatedly, some amount of RNG is required to ensure that this isn't the case, players should occasionally be expected to need to think about what to do with their turn.

Post-nerf, while still extremely powerful when it hits, its loss of consistency means that you'll sometimes have to adapt to a less ideal situation when it doesn't, or try something else. The boss was designed to be plenty beatable without it and tested with less optimal teams than the ones being used now.

We realize that flipping coins to land Taunt isn't very fun, but unfortunately our options to tweak it mid-event are limited - the only other option would be to disable it entirely. We've thought of a better/less annoying way to nerf it for future events, but are unable to implement it for this one.

Edited by Rache
46 minutes ago, CaptnBaklava said:

image.png.9a82c63e36b4ff9384767c544bb7edf5.png

nice coding, he just prefs to attack its add instead of a rockyhelmet user. Thanks for pointing that out in the patchnotes. Great job @devteam fun and interactive, nice transparent gamedesign 

This is quite obviously a bug.

It takes such a long time to train pokemon to the required build, especially when you have none of the pokemon in the new team after the nerf.

I think it will be really helpful if the dev team can make the pumpkin boss fight like a duel between players, where their low-level pokemons get to the level set. By this, it saves a lot of time on level training, and ppl still have to train it to some level to evolve and learn moves.

23 minutes ago, FighterChamp said:

is it just me or anyone else has barely faced the Ghastly vision move for only 1-2 times? I've been doing the hard mode and I haven't faced it for over 10 matches now, It's annoying cause the only move pumpkin uses is Pump strike and my pokes die easily.. ? It's Frustrating to lose a lot matches like that.

I face it every round. Allways Phase 3 turn 3 for me. more annoying is the double paralysis you can get in phase 1 at least for me

1 minute ago, CaptnBaklava said:

I face it every round. Always Phase 3 turn 3 for me. more annoying is the double paralysis you can get in phase 1 at least for me

I clear phase 1 and 2 easily but that pumpkin never uses Ghastly move vs me so I can't set up properly. I clear first 2 phases with nearly full health and No stats. .-. still I lose at phase 3

Just now, FighterChamp said:

I clear phase 1 and 2 easily but that pumpkin never uses Ghastly move vs me so I can't set up properly. I clear first 2 phases with nearly full health and No stats. .-. still I lose at phase 3

i can clear the hard mode most of the time, there are jsut some rng rolls i cant win against, maybe its because i did it so often that i just had them all often idk

important for phase 3 is to have over 80% life, atleast for the strat im using, he wont use phantomstrike than

28 minutes ago, CaptnBaklava said:

important for phase 3 is to have over 80% life, atleast for the strat im using, he wont use phantomstrike than

Will remember + Do your ditto needs to be alive in order to add particle in it?.. I just beat pumpkin but got no particle cause ditto died sadge.

Thanks for all the help. Have a good time.

Edited by FighterChamp
1 hour ago, FighterChamp said:

Will remember + Do your ditto needs to be alive in order to add particle in it?.. I just beat pumpkin but got no particle cause ditto died sadge.

Thanks for all the help. Have a good time.

If the reaper minion removes your fainted Pokémon from the battle field, the Pokémon won't get the particle. ^^

I beat him like 90percent but the taunt nerf is really crazy. In Round2 you waste your Potions and cookies and fail taunt, ur poke go to sleep and spirit away is coming.

Maybe if that happens, it would be cool if we get the items back, we wasted with that bad rng. (cookies are so expensive..)