Event Suggestions & Feedback

Strych

Question

As you all know, we enjoy running events. We try to come up with as many new and exciting ideas for them as we can, whilst also attempting to cater to our broad player-base.

Have we run a particular event that you'd like to see again? Perhaps one that you didn't like so much?
Do you have an idea for an event that you'd like to see happen? We're interested in your feedback and ideas, so feel free to post them in this thread.

Please keep ideas within the realm of possibility. I realise "if X is implemented, Y could be a great event", but lets try to work with what we have.

Note: This thread is for the discussion of official events (like those posted in PokeMMO Official Events).

My problem is the amount of trust they have to put in players to be able to view held items is just about the same amount of trust theyd have to put into there cm's when they chose them, why not just make more cm's.  Being able to see those items, especially when spectating a tournament, is a big fucking deal.

CA has the same powers as a CM, they just fill different roles. Not all CMs are willing to ref. Also yes, you could just diregard CA and recruit more CMs to do the job right. However, having 15 CMs of which half doesn't do shit outside of reffing does not look good. It just makes the CM tag seem (even less) (un)important and gives it a cheap feel to it, that's why dividing the roles (CMs still ref) is not such a bad idea.

I agree with all the ThinkNice's statements, except the point 4. 

If a player have enough knowledge to referee a match, he is probably a competitive player and therefore wants to compete in tournaments. So why a competitive player would exchange the possibility of participate of tournaments to referee battles? It is a little bit contradictory for me.

Would be better, for the player who wants to be CA, if he can participate of tournaments, but can't referee the tournaments he participate, and vice-versa. And as a reward he could have a reserved spot in a future tournament. So, for each tournament he referees, he gets a reserved spot. Sounds more attractive being a CA this way.

Well most comp players will not want to do this. But there are a few players who know enough about comp but just don't duel that could fit the bill. It would be a small group that would, hopefully, grow over time. CA'ing shouldn't have a reward system it's just for people who want to help out a little, or maybe comp players that are uninterested in playing comp for a while that would want to do it.

"Okay we'll make the doubles prize not complete shit for this month"

This is no ones fault but mine. I've said this before and looks like I'll be saying this for the rest of my life, I made a mistake by misinterpreting the value of Game Corner's TMs. I wanted to try a different first place prize and looks like it completely backfired. I've since learned from this and hopefully future WNDs will not have such "crappy" first place prizes.

Again, sorry.

This is no ones fault but mine. I've said this before and looks like I'll be saying this for the rest of my life, I made a mistake by misinterpreting the value of Game Corner's TMs. I wanted to try a different first place prize and looks like it completely backfired. I've since learned from this and hopefully future WNDs will not have such "crappy" first place prizes.

Again, sorry.

hey cipher, wanna buy some gc tm's?

I suggest if you guys plan on making another pokelympics event to give a better second prize  ( way less valuable shiny would be my suggestion /10ppmax ) so it stays competitive untill the very end .
Also pokelympics was a nice idea for an event and fun as well, looking forward to more pokelympics 

^this.

also i appreciate that you are running a lot more tournies but getting a spot in heavyweights, kanto starters and sunday showdown is not enough to make me happy if i dont get into the officials with masters rewards. ive already missed little cup as well as the pokelympics so i can see that pattern continuing.

> Everyone complaining about flawed registration system

> Staff not giving one single fuck

Yep, keep going.

Your feedback has been heard and we are discussing the registration system. Whether or not the system will be changed in the near future is unsure, but there are vocal staff members who want to see a fair registration system as much as you guys.

Your feedback has been heard and we are discussing the registration system. Whether or not the system will be changed in the near future is unsure, but there are vocal staff members who want to see a fair registration system as much as you guys.

When most people agree that the registration is flawed and we see three more tournaments pop up today with the same method, it's not exactly helping. That is why I posted that.

When most people agree that the registration is flawed and we see three more tournaments pop up today with the same method, it's not exactly helping. That is why I posted that.

For the time being we have to use the randomized registration method, it's more for official tournaments to have a standard way of running things, until the staff as a whole can agree on which method works the best. Randomized registration was an attempt at making tournaments more fair and easier for casual players or those with bad internet to be able to get into, instead of the same people every time. While I personally still think we had a good diversity of players both new and old in tournaments anyway.

We wanted to give this way of registration a fair shot and see how it would work a few times before just scrapping it after the first tournaments. We are always looking at ways to improve events, they are for your enjoyment, and while not every change will be taken with warm reception, it's just part of the process of trying to make events as fun as possible.

For the time being we have to use the randomized registration method, it's more for official tournaments to have a standard way of running things, until the staff as a whole can agree on which method works the best. Randomized registration was an attempt at making tournaments more fair and easier for casual players or those with bad internet to be able to get into, instead of the same people every time. While I personally still think we had a good diversity of players both new and old in tournaments anyway.

We wanted to give this way of registration a fair shot and see how it would work a few times before just scrapping it after the first tournaments. We are always looking at ways to improve events, they are for your enjoyment, and while not every change will be taken with warm reception, it's just part of the process of trying to make events as fun as possible.

Just voicing an opinion here, but if there are people whose internet is bad enough to where they cannot make a forum post in time. Wont it be the same people who cant make it to the tourney in time or dc in the middle of a battle? Do we really want those people to join tourneys just to dc and be replaced by a reserve?

hm.. not sure if this could be considered an event or not, but it was fun to do anyway. so here we go!
Back when I had a team and folks to play with, we'd do these fun little games of catching pokemon in a specific area, a certain amount of time. Then we'd battle with those freshly caught pokemon. 
A way to make sure no one was cheating was by checking the catch dates beforehand. This would probably require multiple staff folks to get to everyone, or just having various area's being used { some people in route 4, some people on island 1, etc what have you. } could even put a limit to people only using three of the ones they've caught { unless they only caught one... or something } 
I always liked doing this, not being a competitive battler myself, and just enjoying battling with what ever I can get. It's fun, and relaxed~ Would probably go along much quicker too.

Another idea I had.. and I'm not sure how people would take this, but a sort of written contest in which people give a reason as to why they believe they should have a {insert shiny pokemon desired}. Now there's perhaps others out there like me who just aren't into the trading game, and heavy competition sort of stuff, but do desire to maybe have that one shiny they've always wanted. And just because we're not traders, or competitive battlers, I don't see why not. Or perhaps we are, but just can't seem to get any luck. One winner, two winners, what ever is fine. Just a different way to try and get that shiny you've always wanted but can't seem to. Any matter, I think it'd be a nice little thing to do. I don't know about the whole economy and what not of the game, so perhaps my idea would totally bomb it, haha. But to keep that from happening, perhaps it could only occur once in awhile, so there's no large influx of them.

dove tailing off that prior idea, I'd love for there to be more writing contests~ to be fair though, I've only recently started peeking into the events thread. In the past I was overwhelmed by the amount of competitive events { which I completely understand why they're in abundance } but a story writing contest could be really enjoyable too. Could set a prompt, and even a word maximum if need be.

Ok and... another thought was... maybe a raffle? just a good old fashioned, "post here if you want to be entered" type of deal, where all the names are gathered, and raffled off for a prize of some sort. Maybe of their choosing or maybe there's a pool of things that are up for grabs. 

Oh, and though I never was good at this game, I really enjoyed the hide and seek "find squirtle" events. x}

hmm... guess that pokemon? It would be probably speed based, on who ever can post the answer the fastest, and it could just be like... dropping " It's the bite type pokemon"  and then "it's a dark type" something like that?

maybe an item design contest? 

is this too many? not sure if we can say more than one thing... so I'll just stop now! haha. my b.

Quit being terrible, if you aren't going to read it dont respond to it.  You contribute nothing to the thread.

hm.. not sure if this could be considered an event or not, but it was fun to do anyway. so here we go!
Back when I had a team and folks to play with, we'd do these fun little games of catching pokemon in a specific area, a certain amount of time. Then we'd battle with those freshly caught pokemon. 
A way to make sure no one was cheating was by checking the catch dates beforehand. This would probably require multiple staff folks to get to everyone, or just having various area's being used { some people in route 4, some people on island 1, etc what have you. } could even put a limit to people only using three of the ones they've caught { unless they only caught one... or something } 
I always liked doing this, not being a competitive battler myself, and just enjoying battling with what ever I can get. It's fun, and relaxed~ Would probably go along much quicker too.

Another idea I had.. and I'm not sure how people would take this, but a sort of written contest in which people give a reason as to why they believe they should have a {insert shiny pokemon desired}. Now there's perhaps others out there like me who just aren't into the trading game, and heavy competition sort of stuff, but do desire to maybe have that one shiny they've always wanted. And just because we're not traders, or competitive battlers, I don't see why not. Or perhaps we are, but just can't seem to get any luck. One winner, two winners, what ever is fine. Just a different way to try and get that shiny you've always wanted but can't seem to. Any matter, I think it'd be a nice little thing to do. I don't know about the whole economy and what not of the game, so perhaps my idea would totally bomb it, haha. But to keep that from happening, perhaps it could only occur once in awhile, so there's no large influx of them.

dove tailing off that prior idea, I'd love for there to be more writing contests~ to be fair though, I've only recently started peeking into the events thread. In the past I was overwhelmed by the amount of competitive events { which I completely understand why they're in abundance } but a story writing contest could be really enjoyable too. Could set a prompt, and even a word maximum if need be.

Ok and... another thought was... maybe a raffle? just a good old fashioned, "post here if you want to be entered" type of deal, where all the names are gathered, and raffled off for a prize of some sort. Maybe of their choosing or maybe there's a pool of things that are up for grabs. 

Oh, and though I never was good at this game, I really enjoyed the hide and seek "find squirtle" events. x}

hmm... guess that pokemon? It would be probably speed based, on who ever can post the answer the fastest, and it could just be like... dropping " It's the bite type pokemon"  and then "it's a dark type" something like that?

maybe an item design contest? 

is this too many? not sure if we can say more than one thing... so I'll just stop now! haha. my b.

Hello everyone, I would just like to say that in future tournaments (not ones that are currently posted) registration has undergone a slight change. While the bracket for a tournament is still randomly generated from a list of the players who signed up, the host now has the choice to allow the reserve list of a tournament to be first come first served.

What this means is, in certain tournaments, if you were the first to sign up but were not able to get into the bracket from random selection, you will now appear first on the reserve list and so on. However, this new way of dealing with reserves is by choice of the host, and the type of registration will be stated in the tournament thread and will only appear in future tournaments, not ones currently posted.

We hope this change to how reserves are picked for tournaments will work out for the better, and we thank you for your feedback.

Hello everyone, I would just like to say that in future tournaments (not ones that are currently posted) registration has undergone a slight change. While the bracket for a tournament is still randomly generated from a list of the players who signed up, the host now has the choice to allow the reserve list of a tournament to be first come first served.

What this means is, in certain tournaments, if you were the first to sign up but were not able to get into the bracket from random selection, you will now appear first on the reserve list and so on. However, this new way of dealing with reserves is by choice of the host, and the type of registration will be stated in the tournament thread and will only appear in future tournaments, not once currently posted.

We hope this change to how reserves are picked for tournaments will work out for the better, and we thank you for your feedback.

this is much better but it still seems unfinished

What this means is, in certain tournaments, if you were the first to sign up but were not able to get into the bracket from random selection, you will now appear first on the reserve list and so on. However, this new way of dealing with reserves is by choice of the host, and the type of registration will be stated in the tournament thread and will only appear in future tournaments, not ones currently posted.

I would like to point out that this was decided according to a suggestion ThinkNice posted less then 3 days ago:

making the reserves first come first serve people have a reason to sign up in time and can get rewarded for being dedicated. Here there are two better solutions to what you guys are doing now:

2b): RNG the people for the bracket and make reserves first come first serve (mix 1&2).

> Everyone complaining about flawed registration system

> Staff not giving one single fuck

Yep, keep going.

A bit of patience towards this matter would have been appreciated in the mean time.

If some of the events "allowed" europeans/asian to play lol. I have seen tournaments which looked really exciting, one of them being "Dynamic Duo"(even though a lot hated it on it - but also other events) 

All are based at times where europeans/asians with School/Job just can't play, like why not make the officials on sundays at 1PM EDT something like that. I heard the reason was Americans cant get up that early lol, I really don't hope this is true. I'm not saying all should be early times at all, but it would be awesome giving us a few, which is not the usual 1AM-4AM friday/saturday.  ;)

Not sure if this is anything that would be made for a few officials. But dayuum I was so happy when I saw the Kanto Doubles was at a time for us, and I don't think I was the only one.  :P

If some of the events "allowed" europeans/asian to play lol. I have seen tournaments which looked really exciting, one of them being "Dynamic Duo"(even though a lot hated it on it - but also other events) 

All are based at times where europeans/asians with School/Job just can't play, like why not make the officials on sundays at 1PM EDT something like that. I heard the reason was Americans cant get up that early lol, I really don't hope this is true. I'm not saying all should be early times at all, but it would be awesome giving us a few, which is not the usual 1AM-4AM friday/saturday.  ;)

Not sure if this is anything that would be made for a few officials. But dayuum I was so happy when I saw the Kanto Doubles was at a time for us, and I don't think I was the only one.  :P

Thoth I think is who it was tried it at a more reasonable time for different timezones and got a terrible turnout(and shit from players but thats not out of the norm) and hasn't tried since because of that.

Then again maybe I am remembering it wrong, looking at his topics the early one he held had 10 pages so couldn't have had a terrible turnout unless it was a bunch of complaining.

EDIT: https://forums.pokemmo.eu/index.php?/topic/21065-pikacup-strikes-back/?p=352579

Thoth I think is who it was tried it at a more reasonable time for different timezones and got a terrible turnout(and shit from players but thats not out of the norm) and hasn't tried since because of that.

Then again maybe I am remembering it wrong, looking at his topics the early one he held had 10 pages so couldn't have had a terrible turnout unless it was a bunch of complaining.

EDIT: https://forums.pokemmo.eu/index.php?/topic/21065-pikacup-strikes-back/?p=352579

"The tournament is over. Thank you everyone who showed up. I was extremely dissapointed in the turn out. This will likely be the last tournament I host in this timezone slot, atleast until the player base grows a bit more.

:)" - Thoth's saying from that tournament, and that just makes me sad to read.  :(

I really hope someone else "dare" to make an early tournament, I don't see why it would be that big of the problem since most tournaments is at good times for the Americans anyways (pssst, arrogance if you ask me - not pointing anyone out at all).