Event Suggestions & Feedback

Strych

Question

As you all know, we enjoy running events. We try to come up with as many new and exciting ideas for them as we can, whilst also attempting to cater to our broad player-base.

Have we run a particular event that you'd like to see again? Perhaps one that you didn't like so much?
Do you have an idea for an event that you'd like to see happen? We're interested in your feedback and ideas, so feel free to post them in this thread.

Please keep ideas within the realm of possibility. I realise "if X is implemented, Y could be a great event", but lets try to work with what we have.

Note: This thread is for the discussion of official events (like those posted in PokeMMO Official Events).

The only thing they do wrong with prizes at mod the fact that they not give valueable enough shinies... Plz more rare shiny prizes

Also i think the 1v1 tourney was a big succes...

As someone who enjoys hosting a lot of tournaments I feel like I should give some input on the prize situation. Firstly, when you say valuable shinies I am assuming you mean the likes of shiny Ponyta and shiny Growlithe, so if I am wrong then I apologise and feel free to correct me. Over the past few months there has been an increase in the amount of tournaments that staff have hosted. Throughout November and December we hosted 18 PvP events between us, if we have given out a rare shiny for even half of those events it wouldn't have been good- the equivalent to 9 shiny Growlithe hitting the market would not be beneficial at all and could cause already existing shinies to lose rarity.

Saying that though, I don't think competitive players have done that badly in the prize department over the 2 months I mentioned. Prizes have included, Shiny Magikarp, Jigglypuff, Venonat, Natu, Ledyba/Spinarak, Shuckle, Horsea, Steelix, Poliwag and Teddiursa. These are all perfectly nice shinies that can sell for a decent amount of Yen if that is what the winners wished to do with them. 

I also think that rare shinies should be kept for special tournaments, an example of this would be if we were ever to run something similar to the Masters then the person who wins that deserves a rare shiny prize, it wouldn't be the same if we had already given out prizes of the same rarity over the previous months. The same goes for any other big tournaments.

That being said, I noticed that some players had complained about the value of shinies being given out for gimmicks compared to standards. I can see this as a valid complaint and has been something that I've become mindful of for any future tournaments I host. A shiny Doduo for the speed tournament was decided upon for this reason. 

On a side note, I agree with you about the 1v1 tournament, it was a great success and I would also love to see more hosted in the future. Nice job Eggplant (also credit due to TJ & Jay) staff and players had a lot of fun!

And how would you like to reward comp players for their hard work?

Shards? Don't just say things. Elaborate.

There's multiple ways, exclusive items (get to work DS ;) ), increased chances with xxx for limited periods of time. 

This, And shards are a perfectly valid prize, there are several things they could do now with several forms of in game currency and items.  Money, TT points, with the new breeding system Xx31 iv pokemon to breed with,  Plenty of things.

theres a bigass gap in value between ponyta & growlithe though :P

but i guess its just an example.

either way i'm fine with the prizes being low to mid tier shinies, looking forward to a big event with a rare once in a while though, it builds excitement.

i guess money could work as a prize but it seems so... boring.

TT points are not directlty tradeable so not in favor on that one, i guess you could buy a choiceband and sell it.

shards meh, yay i won 150 shards.

shinies are a cool prize, i dont see a problem with it.

what i'd like to see more are unique vanity items, now that would get some hype.

I saw some people complaining in Noad's thread, I'll move what I wanted to post there into this thread:

https://forums.pokemmo.eu/index.php?/topic/49152-oceanic-ou-tournament-18th-january/

https://forums.pokemmo.eu/index.php?/topic/49151-standard-uu-tournament-9th-january/page-1

Noad's tournaments this month. Wanna complain? 2 Officials with normal tiers from her during this month. Complain at other staff members who either don't host at all (although I wouldn't blame them for that; it's the exams period afaik and it's quite understandable for me) or keep hosting gimmicks that most of comp players dislike. But as for me, Noad does a really good job in providing officials in regular tiers (although prizes could be somewhat better, imo)

i doubt its an attack vs Noad, it just happened to be her thread where a comment was made and people picked it up.

anyways i think its pretty clear everyone wants more standards.

a gimmick once in a while is cool, but there should always be the basic tournaments. TNT/FNF/WND/etc.

Agreed, we need more officials regardless of circumstances ;v)

Staff members are not enforced to host tournaments, they host them if they want and are able to. Why complain because some staff do what others don't want/enjoy to do.

But as for me, Noad does a really good job in providing officials in regular tiers (although prizes could be somewhat better, imo)

I love you Rys but this just looks to kissing up to me, no offence. I don't play regularly anymore but I feel that an Oceanic isn't a typical standard, most competitive players literally need to stay awake to play it, but don't get me wrong that these tournaments should be around because tourneys shouldn't be just built around the Easterners.

there should always be the basic tournaments. TNT/FNF/WND/etc.

this

On the concept of prizes: 

I can agree that gimmicks shouldn't have substantial prizes but some gimmicks require a lot of work put into them in order to qualify (the team, builds, etc) so determining prize value really depends on the specific gimmick. You can't really put gimmick vs standards here in terms of determining prize. 

EDIT: It makes me sad to see people telling others not to suck up just because they're being considerate towards someone else. Come on people ... 

Edited by Emlee

I love you Rys but this just looks to kissing up to me, no offence. I don't play regularly anymore but I feel that an Oceanic isn't a typical standard, most competitive players literally need to stay awake to play it, but don't get me wrong that these tournaments should be around because tourneys shouldn't be just built around the Easterners.

Oceanic is a regular tiered tournament and the time when it is being hosted is completly irrelevent. For you it's morning, for someone else it's evening, not the whole fucking world is murica/ canada. And it fits my timezone perfectly as I don't have to stay awake until 3-4 am, so this is a shit argument.

About kissing up, I love Noad as a person and same goes to many other staff members, but I think that my approach to staff as staff is already widely recognized and does not have to be described or explained.

it's okay, 4f is a registered whiteknight.

I'm seen as being biased when I'm, at least this time, really not, but whatever

give us more normal officials with regular tiers

EDIT:

oh and master series pls

Edited by RysPicz

but don't get me wrong that these tournaments should be around because tourneys shouldn't be just built around the Easterners.

For you it's morning, for someone else it's evening, not the whole fucking world is murica/ canada. And it fits my timezone perfectly as I don't have to stay awake until 3-4 am, so this is a shit argument.

Wasn't an argument. If it was it would be fairly contradictory.

RE: December standard to gimmick ratio

Correlation does not imply causation. I am unsure why people don't realize that. :s Regardless, I am beating a dead horse. ;p

If you can't acknowledge that by hosting more gimmicks they're missing opportunities to host standards then you don't have a grasp on how opportunity cost works. Has absolutely nothing to do with correlation/causation

Edit: also, please quote me if you're going to address my points. I dislike the passive aggressive no-quote method that you usually employ Edited by sloppyj24

2015 is an opportunity for a new masters series. I believe this can reignite the passion in every competitive player.

maybe even me

Get hype for PSL S3 guys, a new fresh start with a new meta AND NEW POSSIBILITIES

[spoiler]MVP Cup for now is pretty much RIP I don't have time to host one and the meta is fucked up now anyway, so for next time. Also it will take a while before I start season 3 as I believe the tiers need some major reworking.[/spoiler]

maybe even me

Get hype for PSL S3 guys, a new fresh start with a new meta AND NEW POSSIBILITIES

[spoiler]MVP Cup for now is pretty much RIP I don't have time to host one and the meta is fucked up now anyway, so for next time. Also it will take a while before I start season 3 as I believe the tiers need some major reworking.[/spoiler]

Will randoms (or any other showdown tiers I guess) be implemented for next PSL? :O

Also, you probably broke coolio's heart with the MVP cup decision. ;P

I've said this before somewhere but hosting the same tournaments each month honestly starts to feel like a chore for the host. Remember, the gimmicks are a break/alternative to regular tournaments for the hosts too and are also a chance to show some creativity.

If WND/SNH/FNF come back that's great, but they're quite draining to host. Getting enough people together on roughly the same day each month is tough as well. The only tournament that has been consistently done for over a year(mostly) is TT, which I'm so grateful for.

Edit: Just realised it turns two soon! Thanks to everyone continuing to host that event among all the other events that are hosted each month.

Edited by Strych