How to play the Chinese New Year event (2022)

Hello all,

Since I got feedback that my last guide was late, I'll do this one straight away from memory and update it as the event goes on ?

The Chinese New Year event tasks players with clearing the Abundant Shrine of waves of wild Pokemon. Waves will be themed to a Chinese Zodiac animal.

Players may participate in groups of 2-4, and begin by selecting at least one pokemon in the house in Abundant Shrine. The choices are as follows:

Spoiler

image.png.50cccdeef9eb7b7482b44b5ce23f2afd.png

NB: Mending Prayer is the same as Heal Pulse,  Provoke is Follow Me, and Healing Wind is Aromatherapy, functionally-speaking

Wild pokemon will be roaming around the area. Walking into the line of sight of these pokemon will trigger a battle; usually, there will be 2 wild pokemon in the battle. If another player is nearby, that player may be roped into the battle which will then trigger as a double battle with yourself and that player against 2 wild enemies.

The first time a species of pokemon is defeated during a run, that species will become available by interacting with the shrine itself in the top left of the route, opposite the location of the starting house. If you are defeated or at any time, you may switch your chosen pokemon with one of the reserves. However, these will be permanently consumed for that run, so other players will be unable to access that pokemon.

Periodically as waves are completed, items will drop in the form of red bags. These can be picked up and award items which may assist in your run (mostly held items)

image.png.fb2393ef0a7adf81f2701aa7a785fecd.png

Every 6 waves, a boss fight with Nian will be triggered. Again, this can be done as a double battle with another player, provided they are the closest player to you when the battle is triggered.

Prizes, notably Red Envelopes and Lucky Red Envelopes, are awarded based on how many waves are cleared and how many Nian bosses are defeated.

Hope this helps ?

On 2/1/2022 at 1:05 AM, pokemonmaster69 said:

what happen if your just got the game??? im lvl 5 i have pidgey

Also of note, you do not need to use your level 5 Pidgey for the event. You play as the pokemon instead of using your own.

On 2/1/2022 at 11:44 AM, DamianTe said:

Prizes, notably Red Envelopes and Lucky Red Envelopes, are awarded based on how many waves are cleared and how many Nian bosses are defeated

can someone please say how much waves do u have to beat to get red envelopes? I beat the first nian and then had to quit( because i had to do something irl) but i still didnt get any red envelopes at all..

11 hours ago, Plbbrt said:

can someone please say how much waves do u have to beat to get red envelopes? I beat the first nian and then had to quit( because i had to do something irl) but i still didnt get any red envelopes at all..

minimum you need to beat is the second boss. I always quit after the second boss (after 12 waves) since it will take more time to beat the 13rd-18th to get to 3rd boss.

after the second you will get 1 lucky red envelope and around 14-16 red envelopes (i found it vary, maybe it depends on your points)

On 2/1/2022 at 3:14 AM, DamianTe said:

Hello all,

Since I got feedback that my last guide was late, I'll do this one straight away from memory and update it as the event goes on ?

The Chinese New Year event tasks players with clearing the Abundant Shrine of waves of wild Pokemon. Waves will be themed to a Chinese Zodiac animal.

Players may participate in groups of 2-4, and begin by selecting at least one pokemon in the house in Abundant Shrine. The choices are as follows:

Hide contents

image.png.50cccdeef9eb7b7482b44b5ce23f2afd.png

NB: Mending Prayer is the same as Heal Pulse,  Provoke is Follow Me, and Healing Wind is Aromatherapy, functionally-speaking

Wild pokemon will be roaming around the area. Walking into the line of sight of these pokemon will trigger a battle; usually, there will be 2 wild pokemon in the battle. If another player is nearby, that player may be roped into the battle which will then trigger as a double battle with yourself and that player against 2 wild enemies.

The first time a species of pokemon is defeated during a run, that species will become available by interacting with the shrine itself in the top left of the route, opposite the location of the starting house. If you are defeated or at any time, you may switch your chosen pokemon with one of the reserves. However, these will be permanently consumed for that run, so other players will be unable to access that pokemon.

Periodically as waves are completed, items will drop in the form of red bags. These can be picked up and award items which may assist in your run (mostly held items)

image.png.fb2393ef0a7adf81f2701aa7a785fecd.png

Every 6 waves, a boss fight with Nian will be triggered. Again, this can be done as a double battle with another player, provided they are the closest player to you when the battle is triggered.

Prizes, notably Red Envelopes and Lucky Red Envelopes, are awarded based on how many waves are cleared and how many Nian bosses are defeated.

Hope this helps ?

Adding Informations:

The 4 mons that you have to start have already EVs flat 85 in all stats. Pokémons that you receive in Sanctuary will come with none EV training, and you need to use EV training charm to have EV on your mon.

Edited by caioxlive13
1 hour ago, widi said:

minimum you need to beat is the second boss. I always quit after the second boss (after 12 waves) since it will take more time to beat the 13rd-18th to get to 3rd boss.

after the second you will get 1 lucky red envelope and around 14-16 red envelopes (i found it vary, maybe it depends on your points)

Oh ok thanks

1 hour ago, Yusedric said:

Why is no one talking about the fact that you can get raikou, like, seriously? no questions about that? after how many waves does it appear? 

because the event is in competitive format. we will get special vanity that can only be won by 50 teams. no wonder there are minimum amount of info about the event in the forum

Chinese Zodiac Name MOVE1 MOVE2
Rat Cyndaquil    
  Sandshrew Follow Me  
  Pikachu    
  Rattata    
  Marill    

Ox Hippopotas Follow Me  
  Numel    
  Miltank    
  Tauros    

Tiger Meowth    
  Glameow Heal Pulse  
  Elekid    
  Shinx Follow Me  
  Skitty Heal Pulse Heal Bell
  Zangoose    

Rabbit Buneary Heal Pulse  
  Nidoran♂    
  Nidoran♀    
  Jigglypuff Heal Pulse  
  Spinda Heal Pulse Heal Bell
  Eevee    
  Plusle    
  Minun    

Dragon Treecko    
  Magikarp    
  Charmander    
  Gible    
  Dratini Follow Me  
  Bagon    
  Aerodactyl    

Snake Feebas    
  Ekans    
  Seviper    
  Onix    
  Dunsparce    

Horse Ponyta Ally Switch  
  Horsea    
  Girafarig    
  Stantler    

Goat Rhyhorn Follow Me  
  Mareep Heal Bell  
  Abra    
  Absol    

Monkey Chimchar    
  Meditite    
  Slakoth    
  Aipom    
  Mankey    

Rooster Starly    
  Murkrow    
  Piplup Follow Me  
  Torchic    
  Doduo    
  Pidgey Ally Switch  
  Delibird Heal Pulse  
  Spearow    
  Skarmory    

Dog Electrike    
  Growlithe    
  Riolu Follow Me  
  Houndour    
  Smeargle Heal Pulse Heal Bell
  Snubbull Heal Bell  
  Poochyena Heal Bell  
  Vulpix Ally Switch  

Pig Munna    
  Slowpoke Heal Pulse  
  Spoink    
  Swinub    

I have a question: I got the the 4th boss fight with Nian once, after no losing any lives whatsoever. The other times we lost any live we only got to the third boss fight, so I guess that in order to remain in the game we need to stay alive (by not loosing all of our Pokémon nor changing Pokémon between people).

Now, my question is, the time I got the the 4th Nian boss (on the 22nd wave) I hadn't lost any life either, but the event wouldn't let us continue any further after defeating the boss. Do you know the reason? Thank you.