Showdown-like Turn Counter for TR/TW/Screens/Weather

Draekyn

Question

18 answers to this question

Its a very good idea but it might reckt people's strats esp people who set rain or sun through moves. It recks the strat by revealling the item on the weather setter too early.

Like if a torkoal switches in and then the game tells your opponent the sun will last 4 turns that tells your opponent a lot about your mon's set, item and potentially your strat right away.

(The same may apply for scarfed ttar)

These are things your opponent would have normally had to guess or play carefully around your team to figure out. Having that info shown to your opponents negates that and they have a near 100% confirmation youre not running certain items, sets or strats.

So if they were to implement this they should reveal the turns to the user only and not the opponent. Its only fair they dont change the system to put other players at a disadvantage.

5 hours ago, Draekyn said:

Simple QOL feature that should've been made years ago

316f1a05357ef897154c0e80bb954b81.png

You've got space right here, look at all this space, wow

86ff9908c362e6b7020b1b30b14c543f.png

Found 1 similar suggestion from 2019 in about 20s, I'm sure there are many more, do you read these?

You took Randoms so you're clearly not averse to grabbing ideas from there

Pls respond, 

Something like this?
image.png.e0c0059042c3c8737ea7f8f0832af88e.png

Just a small thing, but this isn't just Showdown QoL-feature - all these counters have also existed in the real games for a good while. Even GameFreak considers that in competitive Pokemon all this information should be available for players all the time and they shouldn't have to memorize how many turns of something is still left. Also having this info seems like a high priority to me because PokeMMO is Android game now too and trying to read the battle chat with Android is an absolute mess and puts mobile players in a disadvantage against computer players. Either way, having the turn counters on the screen will benefit everyone and makes the game closer to how Pokemon is supposed to be played so idk why this isn't a thing yet.

16 hours ago, OrangeManiac said:

Just a small thing, but this isn't just Showdown QoL-feature - all these counters have also existed in the real games for a good while. Even GameFreak considers that in competitive Pokemon all this information should be available for players all the time and they shouldn't have to memorize how many turns of something is still left. Also having this info seems like a high priority to me because PokeMMO is Android game now too and trying to read the battle chat with Android is an absolute mess and puts mobile players in a disadvantage against computer players. Either way, having the turn counters on the screen will benefit everyone and makes the game closer to how Pokemon is supposed to be played so idk why this isn't a thing yet.

Something the handhelds don't do, at least that I could tell maybe you can enlighten me as to where it is if it exists,  is show the status/hp of things not on the field.  Like when I forced something to faint, it still looked alive on the enemy team preview window thing.  And when I just did damage but didn't kill something and looked I saw no damage taken indicators anywhere, trying to select any of them individually just closed the enemy team window.

This is actually somewhat important as it hides Zoroarks identity if it takes damage from entry hazards and doesn't break its illusion,

22 hours ago, Munya said:

Something the handhelds don't do, at least that I could tell maybe you can enlighten me as to where it is if it exists,  is show the status/hp of things not on the field.  Like when I forced something to faint, it still looked alive on the enemy team preview window thing.  And when I just did damage but didn't kill something and looked I saw no damage taken indicators anywhere, trying to select any of them individually just closed the enemy team window.

This is actually somewhat important as it hides Zoroarks identity if it takes damage from entry hazards and doesn't break its illusion,

You're correct, handhelds don't provide health % or status of things not on the field. If memory serves you do see what has fainted as it should be greyed out. Don't quote me on that though, could also be the 2 mons that weren't picked (VGC) once the 4  picked are revealed, it's been a few months for me.

I'll respond just in case you weren't just going on a tangent but making an argument—though not explicitly stated—along the lines of "we might not have info that the handhelds have, but we do have info that they don't".
If that's not the argument you are making, great! You can ignore the rest of this post.
If it is, a few things:

• VGC is different from any MMO tier in terms of information management for obvious reasons. I made the comparison myself to showcase how it should be displayed in regards to effect-extending items.
  • The entire point is that we should not have LESS information available than the handhelds, not that we should somehow find an equilibrium between the information they have that we don't and vice versa. That would require us to weigh different types of information and their value across formats which would be silly.
  • Exact health % and status information being in MMO is a clear sign that the devs are aware that it is information we should have. If anything, we should have more information than the handhelds and continue to pick Showdown's best ideas as we're closer to Smogon than the handhelds (MMO Doubles =/= VGC).
  • Bit besides the point but yes, health % on mouseover does fuck with Zoroark as you pointed out but that's a trade-off I'll gladly take (Zoroark—still top tier in NU by the way—vs. a functioning system, not a tough call for me personally).

Your signature definitely didn't successfully rickroll me as I got bored typing this out. 

1 hour ago, Draekyn said:

You're correct, handhelds don't provide health % or status of things not on the field. If memory serves you do see what has fainted as it should be greyed out. Don't quote me on that though, could also be the 2 mons that weren't picked (VGC) once the 4  picked are revealed, it's been a few months for me.

I'll respond just in case you weren't just going on a tangent but making an argument—though not explicitly stated—along the lines of "we might not have info that the handhelds have, but we do have info that they don't".
If that's not the argument you are making, great! You can ignore the rest of this post.
If it is, a few things:

• VGC is different from any MMO tier in terms of information management for obvious reasons. I made the comparison myself to showcase how it should be displayed in regards to effect-extending items.
  • The entire point is that we should not have LESS information available than the handhelds, not that we should somehow find an equilibrium between the information they have that we don't and vice versa. That would require us to weigh different types of information and their value across formats which would be silly.
  • Exact health % and status information being in MMO is a clear sign that the devs are aware that it is information we should have. If anything, we should have more information than the handhelds and continue to pick Showdown's best ideas as we're closer to Smogon than the handhelds (MMO Doubles =/= VGC).
  • Bit besides the point but yes, health % on mouseover does fuck with Zoroark as you pointed out but that's a trade-off I'll gladly take (Zoroark—still top tier in NU by the way—vs. a functioning system, not a tough call for me personally).

Your signature definitely didn't successfully rickroll me as I got bored typing this out. 

Correct me if I'm wrong and it got fixed but afaik zoroark shows a gender when disguised as a gender less Pokémon. 

So any argument regarding Zoroark is just pointless. 

7 minutes ago, CaptnBaklava said:

Correct me if I'm wrong and it got fixed but afaik zoroark shows a gender when disguised as a gender less Pokémon. 

So any argument regarding Zoroark is just pointless. 

Correct. Getting even further away from the point but fully agreed