[Gym Guide]Beginner to Veteran Gym Rerun Teams and Routes

MrVdd

I like reading these kind of guides, cus everyone has different ideas of 5th and 6th Pokemon in what you call a "beginner" team, and I like the diversity.

I'm currently using Flygon with Choice Band, just for Rock Slide spam Cus I absolutely HATE Garchomp and Nidoking with Life Orb for Earthquake, or Poison Jab if needed. Although the plans are to throw in Archeops with that Choice Band, instead of Nidoking.

Just out of curiousity, with this "veteran" team, how long does it take to beat every gym leader? cus ill consider looking into it if its faster than Typhlosions

Just out of curiousity, with this "veteran" team, how long does it take to beat every gym leader? cus ill consider looking into it if its faster than Typhlosions

If I am going super sweaty, I finish all the gyms in just over 90 minutes. But since I've started this guide I realized I'm doing a couple things inefficiently so I'm testing those out and seeing how fast I can get it. But the average is 100-105 minutes for a run of all the gyms, then I do Morimoto and Cynthia and a couple trainers in Unova before second coin runs out. ?

Also, I will probably eventually add in some of the pokemon that people do like to use for the 5th and 6th since those spots can be filled by pretty much anything that doesn't activate the Flash Fire ability. XD

Edited by MrVdd

I once tried, as a challenge, rather than for efficiency, to have the "perfect team" that can 100% 3-round any team any gym leader is going to use. I've lost interest and gave up as it took too much time, but here was my progress

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1d8PAFjhQAt4zvyUj048UoCWOVHuZO4cZCO-BbC7Ftu4/edit?usp=sharing

It includes my team and how to use it and to beat the gyms. I hope it can serve as inspiration ; I've come to realize that at some point, any well-thought team with good synergy does the job, and the improvement in efficiency is so minimal that it's pointless to go for it. 

It includes my team and how to use it and to beat the gyms. I hope it can serve as inspiration ; I've come to realize that at some point, any well-thought team with good synergy does the job, and the improvement in efficiency is so minimal that it's pointless to go for it. 

Thank you so much for that! I will definitely give it a good look. The point about any team with good synergy being good enough is so true. I was thinking throughout making this whole thing if you don't want to use a certain pokemon, you can switch it out and stuff very easily with something that does the same job. XD

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Have you considered rematching the trainers in the snowpoint gym while you're already there? They're all ace trainers so give a good amount. I currently use the typhlo strat and my cloyster is easily able to take care of all of them on its own. Could save a decent amount of time if you also do the 6h trainer rerun.

• 2 weeks later...

I like to use this team to run Gyms, it's very efficient and can fit well with begginers.
https://pokepast.es/6730e6a6d7f0ad67

Some questions about my team that i will answer:
1. Why Krokodile instead of Garchomp as a Earthquake Spammer?
Mainly because of their ally, Togekiss. The maximum speed that Togekiss have is 284(IV and EV Speed maximized, +speed nature.) So, you need a mon with speed Equal or lower than 283. While Garchomp need of a Specific spread to reach on those stats, Krokodile can reach it without any effort, only needing to have any nature that don't give extra speed(Adamant is better choice), so with IV and EV maximized, he reaches on 283. If you want to be more economic, i suggest using Flygon, because Flygon learn all moves that he need by level up. The only issue is the same to Garchomp, you need a specific EV spread to reach below 284 Speed.
2. Why Togekiss with Hyper Voice and not Hydreigon with Hyper Voice or a Aero/Archeops with Rock Slide?
Rock Slide can miss, so you need to use Wide Lens, and you're not allowed with this, to use damage-boosting items. With Hyper Voice Hydreigon, you could use it, because the main advantage is Extra Speed, but it's main disadvantage is less damage due to not having STAB on Hyper Voice. Other good reason is because Normal-Type moves doesn't do Supereffective damage on any type, meaning -1 text.
3. Why this smeargle on 6th Slot?
You don't need to leave anything on 6th slot if you want. I bring a smeargle to he level up while farming. If you don't have Ocarinas, i suggest you bring a Dragonite, because he can learn all of 3 mandatory HMs to have in this run: Fly, Surf and Cut.
4. Why you use Muscle Band and Wise Glasses? Isn't better Life Orb?
In conventinoal situations, yes, Life Orb can be better due to extra damage. But on Gym Runs, you need to spend less time than possible, and life orb is one thing that consume more time, forcing you to heal many times on Pokecenter and with the +1 text on battle(Also the heal animation on Jolteon). This is why i prefer those items, they still boost my moves but don't drain my HP, forcing me to heal only after all PP runs out
5. Any reccomendations?
Yes. As soon as possible, PP Max all moves. Also, leave on your bag a Choice Scarf. On Brawly Gym, on Dewford, i reccomend to you switch Togekiss's item to Scarf , and afrer battle put specs Back. The main reason is because Staraptor and Lucario could have Final gambit, that deal damage equal to their current HP(That means insta-KO on most part of your team if they're at full HP). You need to use scarf to attack first and reduce their HP, and with this, reducing Final Gambit damage.

• 5 weeks later...
On 10/2/2022 at 11:01 AM, caioxlive13 said:

I like to use this team to run Gyms, it's very efficient and can fit well with begginers.
https://pokepast.es/6730e6a6d7f0ad67

Some questions about my team that i will answer:
1. Why Krokodile instead of Garchomp as a Earthquake Spammer?
Mainly because of their ally, Togekiss. The maximum speed that Togekiss have is 284(IV and EV Speed maximized, +speed nature.) So, you need a mon with speed Equal or lower than 283. While Garchomp need of a Specific spread to reach on those stats, Krokodile can reach it without any effort, only needing to have any nature that don't give extra speed(Adamant is better choice), so with IV and EV maximized, he reaches on 283. If you want to be more economic, i suggest using Flygon, because Flygon learn all moves that he need by level up. The only issue is the same to Garchomp, you need a specific EV spread to reach below 284 Speed.
2. Why Togekiss with Hyper Voice and not Hydreigon with Hyper Voice or a Aero/Archeops with Rock Slide?
Rock Slide can miss, so you need to use Wide Lens, and you're not allowed with this, to use damage-boosting items. With Hyper Voice Hydreigon, you could use it, because the main advantage is Extra Speed, but it's main disadvantage is less damage due to not having STAB on Hyper Voice. Other good reason is because Normal-Type moves doesn't do Supereffective damage on any type, meaning -1 text.
3. Why this smeargle on 6th Slot?
You don't need to leave anything on 6th slot if you want. I bring a smeargle to he level up while farming. If you don't have Ocarinas, i suggest you bring a Dragonite, because he can learn all of 3 mandatory HMs to have in this run: Fly, Surf and Cut.
4. Why you use Muscle Band and Wise Glasses? Isn't better Life Orb?
In conventinoal situations, yes, Life Orb can be better due to extra damage. But on Gym Runs, you need to spend less time than possible, and life orb is one thing that consume more time, forcing you to heal many times on Pokecenter and with the +1 text on battle(Also the heal animation on Jolteon). This is why i prefer those items, they still boost my moves but don't drain my HP, forcing me to heal only after all PP runs out
5. Any reccomendations?
Yes. As soon as possible, PP Max all moves. Also, leave on your bag a Choice Scarf. On Brawly Gym, on Dewford, i reccomend to you switch Togekiss's item to Scarf , and afrer battle put specs Back. The main reason is because Staraptor and Lucario could have Final gambit, that deal damage equal to their current HP(That means insta-KO on most part of your team if they're at full HP). You need to use scarf to attack first and reduce their HP, and with this, reducing Final Gambit damage.

This is really a very interesting team but how would you deal with weather effect gyms like the Snowpoint city gym they have pokemons with Snow Cloak or in the Driftveil gym where they have pokemons with Sand Rush
  • 3 months later...

https://pokepast.es/8e67121caf506f31 Developed a strat for gym runs. This strat is different from before because it uses one thing recently released: Mold Breaker Excadrill. 

Effect of Mold Breaker: Moves used by the mon that have this ability ignores any passive ability from opponent. 

So, if you use Earthquake with a mon with this ability, he hits opponents ignoring abilitys like Levitate. It doesn't ignore type chart, however.

The strat is essentially same thing than the other done before. If Excadrill HA gets too expensive to obtain, you can go to Haxorus. He have a high atk, 3rd highest of the perma-avaliable mons(Below Slaking and Rampardos) but he will not have EQ STAB. Keep this in mind. On Excadrill, you can lower speed IVs to 13 at maximum but you will need to invest 4 Speed EVs for each 1 IV speed you take. So if you go to 13 IV speed, you must go to 252 Speed EVs. 
Haxorus can go to 20 IV speed, can't be lower. And apply the same logic than Excadrill.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/23/2023 at 9:07 PM, Radiantname said:

I am a newbie, but can Garchomp be swapped with an EV trained Krookodile? 

Yes. But the better for the farm teams right now is Mold Breaker Excadrill(Mold Breaker is the Excadrill's HA and recently got released.) because he ignores the existance of levitate and still hit mons with that ability, with Earthquake. This speed a lot the run because you can in that case just... Keep clicking quake regardless, unless the opponent uses flying-types.

Edited by caioxlive13
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/23/2023 at 6:57 AM, PanJah said:

Hello MrVdd,

Why use electroweb on Galvantula instead of discharge ?

Thanks.

Discharge hits your allies as well as the opponents pokemon. Otherwise I would absolutely use discharge over electroweb. 🙂

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/4/2023 at 11:55 AM, caioxlive13 said:

https://pokepast.es/8e67121caf506f31 Developed a strat for gym runs. This strat is different from before because it uses one thing recently released: Mold Breaker Excadrill.

Would you mind sharing your Route? I'm looking into investing into a team, but the OPs Route doesn't work the same way with your team (unless I'm misunderstanding it). Would help a lot at least just knowing which mons to use at each gym. Thank you in advanced! 💛

Also, I want to thank the OP for the useful information as well!

Edited by Nerfgun
9 hours ago, Nerfgun said:

Would you mind sharing your Route? I'm looking into investing into a team, but the OPs Route doesn't work the same way with your team (unless I'm misunderstanding it). Would help a lot at least just knowing which mons to use at each gym. Thank you in advanced! 💛

Also, I want to thank the OP for the useful information as well!

On hoenn i use Excadrill + Toge on almost all gyms. For Flying-type and Water type gym i go with Jolteon + Manectric.

Kanto i go Jolteon + Manectric on Water Gym only, Typhlosion + Toge on Grass, and Exca + Toge on the rest.

If had some time i go to unova and do some gyms until 1st amulet runs out after that i go to sinnoh and activate the second.

Edited by caioxlive13
1 hour ago, caioxlive13 said:

On hoenn i use Excadrill + Toge on almost all gyms. For Flying-type and Water type gym i go with Jolteon + Manectric.

Kanto i go Jolteon + Manectric on Water Gym only, Typhlosion + Toge on Grass, and Exca + Toge on the rest.

If had some time i go to unova and do some gyms until 1st amulet runs out after that i go to sinnoh and activate the second.

Thank you so much! I'm gonna use your team. What drew me to it is being able to use Smeargle for travel while I get enough for Ocarinas so I appreciate you sharing.

1 hour ago, Nerfgun said:

Thank you so much! I'm gonna use your team. What drew me to it is being able to use Smeargle for travel while I get enough for Ocarinas so I appreciate you sharing.

Smeargle's intent is just level up to be selled later. Cheap to breed and doesn't take too long to lvl up, and also are searched a lot. If want HMs, you need Cut, Fly and Surf for now(idk about johto gyms.)

Edited by caioxlive13
  • 2 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.