How can you be a good leader and have a good team?

dear leaders of other teams / former leaders

tell me about your experience as a leader :)

I want to improve as a leader and offer a better organization for my team, so from here I will get good tips and suggestions,

I hope that the one who needs them will take them ♥

3 hours ago, Thekingofglory said:
  • hold some events
  • talk with ur teammates

Thank you very much for the advice, I have been focusing my team to talk and vary the events a lot, I plan to do cosplay events and things like that, I don't want everything to be 100% pokemmo after all we are a community

3 hours ago, Michelle said:

In addition to kingofglory, it's always good to incentivize helping the community as a whole. Helps the team become recognized, and helps the game itself. ?

thank you very much for the advice ♥     

6 hours ago, OrangeManiac said:

Well, not being a cruel dad is a good first step.

HAHAHA, thanks for the tip ♥

6 hours ago, MightyMichele said:

I believe in the hard work on this purpose for a long time! Good luck @Crueldad

thanks miche ♥ tkm ♥

11 hours ago, noty said:

I'm here to learn,Please let this post have more exposure

hopefully more people want to give their opinion or recommendations, it's good to want to read and improve as a leader and part of a team in general ♥

10 minutes ago, Complutum said:

No te rías, en realidad eres bueno en esto.

I tear so far I have not heard bad things about his leadership time, I hope to reach 1 year as a leader and have that prestige  uw u

19 hours ago, Crueldad said:

Thank you very much for the advice, I have been focusing my team to talk and vary the events a lot, I plan to do cosplay events and things like that, I don't want everything to be 100% pokemmo after all we are a community

thank you very much for the advice ♥     

cosplay is soooooo cooooooool

2 hours ago, Crueldad said:

I tear so far I have not heard bad things about his leadership time, I hope to reach 1 year as a leader and have that prestige  uw u

There is no secret in this, it also depends on what you want your team to focus on ... but everything will be promoted by your friendly relationship with your members, not by doing many events you should be considered superior to another team, i did 3 years ago i used to do events 7 days a week, currently my challonge account has more than 100 tournaments, but you saw what happened with my team, thats why i tell you, the best tip i can give you is to have a good relationship with your people and dont take this game seriously, i realized that late, although now im with people that i appreciate very much and i can trust them as they trust me, i appreciate them more as people than as players, thats the difference

17 minutes ago, Tear said:

No hay ningún secreto en esto, también depende de en qué quieras que se enfoque tu equipo… pero todo será promovido por tu relación amistosa con tus miembros, no por hacer muchos eventos debes ser considerado superior a otro equipo, yo Hace 3 años hacía eventos los 7 días de la semana, actualmente mi cuenta de challonge tiene más de 100 torneos, pero viste lo que pasó con mi equipo, por eso te digo, el mejor consejo que te puedo dar es que tengas un buena relación con tu gente y no te tomes este juego en serio, me di cuenta tarde, aunque ahora estoy con gente que aprecio mucho y puedo confiar en ellos como ellos confían en mí, los aprecio más como personas que como jugadores, esa es la diferencia

Thanks for writing this tear, they are really things that I don't see in pokemmo and I will take it into account ♥ 

At least currently, the focus I have for my team is a team to spend time, have fun, a place for everyone and for everyone, I do not plan to focus events 100% on pokemmo

but thanks really, you made me remember when i started in poke hahaha ♥

15 minutes ago, xJoseee said:

El carisma, sin duda, puede ser una de las cualidades más importantes en alguien dispuesto a liderar, de forma más o menos seria.

I don't know how charismatic I can be, but I'll take it into account XDDD

Okay, a more serious post for a change. A large part of leading a team correctly is having the right kind of people around you. In other words, what is your team for? Lots of teams in my opinion struggle to take off because they lack a vision or identity. And the identity has to be believable and realistic. 

If a person with no or very little competitive background is trying to make the best competitive team in PokeMMO, that is not a very believable goal unless that person already managed to get in bunch of known players. Competitive players want to be around other competitive players and they only bother joining when they feel like the team has enough players with a similar level of understanding of the game.

What I'm getting at is that some competitive teams fail to take off because they aren't believable. So on the flipside, I think there's great value in building a team that isn't based on "being the best comp team in the game" but rather having a chill and relaxed atmospheare. I think the biggest reason these kinds of team fail is the lack of proper advertising of it. Most of PokeMMO players are casual players, so advertising a team that focuses on casual play will certainly be in demand. And many players want to join a team that explicitly has a more laidback-vibe to it, even some competitive players. So in my opinion it is important to establish a clear theme and aim for the team. It doesn't mean that comp. teams can't do casual events and vice versa (there's only a limited amount of things to do in MMO really), but in my opinion picking a theme will be important to attract the people with the right kind of mindset for your team. To me, this is by far the most important and hardest hurdle to having a successful team - filling your team with similar people.

What comes to leadership, it's not really that good leadership attracts players but bad leadership can push away players. In other words, I really think you really need to fuck up badly as a leader of a team to be the reason a team failed. There's some traits that I think are damaging to the team as a leader:

- Complete lack of responsibility. The leader must speak up during an important decision, whatever it is. Agreeing with the rest of the team is completely fine, taking leadership does NOT mean you always push your own will at everything. The worst thing you can really do is just say "idk' or "I dont care" about everything.

- Being too self-centered. Sometimes I feel like the leader of a team wants to be the spotlight of the team a bit too often and relates everything going on in the team to themselves. The team are the people in it, not the leader.

- Thinking people joined the team because of you. This is extremely damaging. While having a reputation you aren't a complete asshat certainly is useful, no one joins a team solely because of the leader unless that person to join happened to be a close friend. This also goes to the "self-centeredness" but being humble enough to understand some other members may have attracted others to your team is important. (And the general theme of your team)

- Not listening your team members. This is pretty self-evident but I've seen teams where the leader iron fisted everything. Surprisingly, none of them exist anymore.

So that's about it really, that's my perspective as someone who has lead/co-lead MMO teams for a good while now. A lot of it is very basic but imo leading is mostly just doing basic stuff consistently.