How can you be a good leader and have a good team?

It's important for the leader to delegate the daily (team management) responsibilities. For example:
-hosting / organizing events
-recruiting / approving new members
-helping settle any disagreements that might occur

It should absolutely not be 1 person making every decision or organizing every little thing for the team IMO. I believe the devs made the base team roster layout as a pyramid (1 boss, 3 executives, 5 commanders, etc) intentionally, and embracing that pyramid structure seems to work well. I think the higher ups (executives, commanders, even officerS) in the teams should be allowed to take on more and more responsibility as they climb up the structure & as a leader you should give away most, if not all, of the power / responsibility to the higher ups in the team. You should be there as the final say in an argument or to handle more serious situations. The team should function mostly autonomous in that aspect so you (as the leader) can focus on the best strategies for keeping it alive and healthy long term. Not to mention, if the leader tries to handle every single situation / event / etc. on their own they are going to burn themselves out quickly.

I very much agree with what @OrangeManiac said about a team having a clear purpose. I don't really have much more to say about that topic other than that the purpose/focus of your team can change over time, and that's OK. For example, my team is 7 years old. It started as mostly shiny traders (when shiny trading was more popular / common than shiny hunting), and over the years we have reshaped it into a team of shiny hunters instead. Your team's focus can be whatever you and your team members want it to be, as long as it attracts people to want to join your group. If you pick a focus that's fairly random and obscure, for example a team based on a specific weeb anime, it will probably die very quickly. It should be something a large portion of the player base can relate to.

At the end of the day, as corny as this sounds, I think the most important thing to leading a team is getting to know each (or as many as possible) of your members personally and treating them as a friend first and a team member second, or at least attempting to (some people you will encounter will be inherently quiet or rude - there is no avoiding that). I think the best team experiences in PokeMMO are when the team is a collection of friends who can for the most part get along with each other and joke around. Since we have no real team based features in PokeMMO (other than Team Tournament), the only real other functional purpose of teams is as a private chat for friends to goof around in and have a good time with one another. If you can do that the rest should come fairly easily, as long as you don't mess up horribly. 

Key points: 

• Make a team club. 
  • Recruit on Forums/Social media platforms/Official MMO services (Discord, In-game)
  • Build a trustworthy foundation of team staff
  • establish what you'd like the team's primary focus to be, whether that's pve/pvp etc.
  •  Enable support for any members whether you do that by discord bots or various Team staff time zones
  • Ensure you & your staff are always hosting events, rewards don't have to be huge and your imagination is the only limit. (I'd recommend for new teams to start basic uguu events similar to official events, easy to follow/easy to host)
  • Rinse monthly inactive members, whilst continually promoting your team &  discord, to get the name out there.
  • Keep your team/community aware of the changes to the team, whether that's big or small. (basically treat them as a equal, they deserve to know)
  • Set up a application form for new members, i recommend Jotform! 
  • Have proper resources available at a click of a button, for example PvP with Pokepaste, Showdown builder/calculator, Team bank for donations/lending services.

Asides that, it's important to remember that at least %50 of the people you started out with won't be there later & don't get discouraged if you keep recruiting to only find members going inactive after they finish regions or after a few weeks, keep pushing you'll find the fundamental members eventually that'll keep the team together. (perhaps they'll come back someday to be active again)

Speaking from experience I'd prefer not to have a staff team, but it's understandable as a new leader.

Last but not least, remember not to run yourself down to the ground with making & improving the team. ❤️

Honestly, it's all about being inspiring and genuine. I personally believe PSL to be the best example of this; where several managers, of which some with little to no experience end up leading a team of competitive players. Though it's certainly not the same as creating your own team/club in-game, it is definitely pertinent to this discussion. For those players, no matter how good they are, are not a whole lot without their manager taking a more active role in the day-to-day. A great example of this was being able to reach out to K9/Kanzo whenever I needed to back in 5/6. Myself not being the only one, either. Everyone was able to reach out to those two. Whether it was swapping tiers, or discussing strategies. That welcoming feeling surely made me play a whole lot better. To add, had it not been for them, I surely wouldn't have played half as decent as I did back then. And I'm certain it did for other, too.

Edited by Gary57

A foundation of core players makes that team unique. When you think of teams, you think of the core players. It is important because no matter how hard you try, players will come and go but occasionally, you'll got one that does stick around and truly make the team their own.

This doesn't happen overnight and can take years to establish, so dedication is perhaps one of the biggest factors here.

10 hours ago, OrangeManiac said:

Okay, a more serious post for a change. A large part of leading a team correctly is having the right kind of people around you. In other words, what is your team for? Lots of teams in my opinion struggle to take off because they lack a vision or identity. And the identity has to be believable and realistic. 

If a person with no or very little competitive background is trying to make the best competitive team in PokeMMO, that is not a very believable goal unless that person already managed to get in bunch of known players. Competitive players want to be around other competitive players and they only bother joining when they feel like the team has enough players with a similar level of understanding of the game.

What I'm getting at is that some competitive teams fail to take off because they aren't believable. So on the flipside, I think there's great value in building a team that isn't based on "being the best comp team in the game" but rather having a chill and relaxed atmospheare. I think the biggest reason these kinds of team fail is the lack of proper advertising of it. Most of PokeMMO players are casual players, so advertising a team that focuses on casual play will certainly be in demand. And many players want to join a team that explicitly has a more laidback-vibe to it, even some competitive players. So in my opinion it is important to establish a clear theme and aim for the team. It doesn't mean that comp. teams can't do casual events and vice versa (there's only a limited amount of things to do in MMO really), but in my opinion picking a theme will be important to attract the people with the right kind of mindset for your team. To me, this is by far the most important and hardest hurdle to having a successful team - filling your team with similar people.

What comes to leadership, it's not really that good leadership attracts players but bad leadership can push away players. In other words, I really think you really need to fuck up badly as a leader of a team to be the reason a team failed. There's some traits that I think are damaging to the team as a leader:

- Complete lack of responsibility. The leader must speak up during an important decision, whatever it is. Agreeing with the rest of the team is completely fine, taking leadership does NOT mean you always push your own will at everything. The worst thing you can really do is just say "idk' or "I dont care" about everything.

- Being too self-centered. Sometimes I feel like the leader of a team wants to be the spotlight of the team a bit too often and relates everything going on in the team to themselves. The team are the people in it, not the leader.

- Thinking people joined the team because of you. This is extremely damaging. While having a reputation you aren't a complete asshat certainly is useful, no one joins a team solely because of the leader unless that person to join happened to be a close friend. This also goes to the "self-centeredness" but being humble enough to understand some other members may have attracted others to your team is important. (And the general theme of your team)

- Not listening your team members. This is pretty self-evident but I've seen teams where the leader iron fisted everything. Surprisingly, none of them exist anymore.

So that's about it really, that's my perspective as someone who has lead/co-lead MMO teams for a good while now. A lot of it is very basic but imo leading is mostly just doing basic stuff consistently.

Thank you very much for participating and giving me these valuable tips friend, I really have no words ♥

I, as a player and current leader of sad, my goal and path for my team is a quiet path and have a good time with all my friends and all those who can join now or later, honestly I think it's great that you think so I thought there was no this guy of opinions since I never see anyone giving an opinion on this, they only think about the competitive

I'm sorry if something doesn't read well, I don't know much English

thank you with all my heart orange

5 hours ago, awkways said:

It's important for the leader to delegate the daily (team management) responsibilities. For example:

It should absolutely not be 1 person making every decision or organizing every little thing for the team IMO. I believe the devs made the base team roster layout as a pyramid (1 boss, 3 executives, 5 commanders, etc) intentionally, and embracing that pyramid structure seems to work well. I think the higher ups (executives, commanders, even officerS) in the teams should be allowed to take on more and more responsibility as they climb up the structure & as a leader you should give away most, if not all, of the power / responsibility to the higher ups in the team. You should be there as the final say in an argument or to handle more serious situations. The team should function mostly autonomous in that aspect so you (as the leader) can focus on the best strategies for keeping it alive and healthy long term. Not to mention, if the leader tries to handle every single situation / event / etc. on their own they are going to burn themselves out quickly.

I very much agree with what @OrangeManiac said about a team having a clear purpose. I don't really have much more to say about that topic other than that the purpose/focus of your team can change over time, and that's OK. For example, my team is 7 years old. It started as mostly shiny traders (when shiny trading was more popular / common than shiny hunting), and over the years we have reshaped it into a team of shiny hunters instead. Your team's focus can be whatever you and your team members want it to be, as long as it attracts people to want to join your group. If you pick a focus that's fairly random and obscure, for example a team based on a specific weeb anime, it will probably die very quickly. It should be something a large portion of the player base can relate to.

At the end of the day, as corny as this sounds, I think the most important thing to leading a team is getting to know each (or as many as possible) of your members personally and treating them as a friend first and a team member second, or at least attempting to (some people you will encounter will be inherently quiet or rude - there is no avoiding that). I think the best team experiences in PokeMMO are when the team is a collection of friends who can for the most part get along with each other and joke around. Since we have no real team based features in PokeMMO (other than Team Tournament), the only real other functional purpose of teams is as a private chat for friends to goof around in and have a good time with one another. If you can do that the rest should come fairly easily, as long as you don't mess up horribly. 

Thanks for commenting ♥

It really helps me a lot, you clarified many of my ideas, I hope to have as much time with my team hahahaha

congratulations for having 7 years of team friend

from what I see, the purpose is mega important, it is something that I did not take into account 100% but I will start to build and improve it, I suppose that the current purpose of my team is to give a place for everyone, that everyone can join and have fun first and foremost

layers I need to focus and choose a path on how to do it in the long term, and how to keep my friends, my players entertained within this nice little community, thank you ♥

3 hours ago, Kupokun said:

Key points: 

• Make a team club. 
  • Recruit on Forums/Social media platforms/Official MMO services (Discord, In-game)
  • Build a trustworthy foundation of team staff
  • establish what you'd like the team's primary focus to be, whether that's pve/pvp etc.
  •  Enable support for any members whether you do that by discord bots or various Team staff time zones
  • Ensure you & your staff are always hosting events, rewards don't have to be huge and your imagination is the only limit. (I'd recommend for new teams to start basic uguu events similar to official events, easy to follow/easy to host)
  • Rinse monthly inactive members, whilst continually promoting your team &  discord, to get the name out there.
  • Keep your team/community aware of the changes to the team, whether that's big or small. (basically treat them as a equal, they deserve to know)
  • Set up a application form for new members, i recommend Jotform! 
  • Have proper resources available at a click of a button, for example PvP with Pokepaste, Showdown builder/calculator, Team bank for donations/lending services.

Asides that, it's important to remember that at least %50 of the people you started out with won't be there later & don't get discouraged if you keep recruiting to only find members going inactive after they finish regions or after a few weeks, keep pushing you'll find the fundamental members eventually that'll keep the team together. (perhaps they'll come back someday to be active again)

Speaking from experience I'd prefer not to have a staff team, but it's understandable as a new leader.

Last but not least, remember not to run yourself down to the ground with making & improving the team. ❤️

what you are proposing to me kupo is something very serious and the truth is that it helps me to have an idea of how to take a path in the future, I at least needed that structure, thanks kupoopoprpo ♥

I want to learn from my mistakes, I know that not everything is magic and fairy dust, but I will do my best ❤️

2 hours ago, Gary57 said:

Honestly, it's all about being inspiring and genuine. I personally believe PSL to be the best example of this; where several managers, of which some with little to no experience end up leading a team of competitive players. Though it's certainly not the same as creating your own team/club in-game, it is definitely pertinent to this discussion. For those players, no matter how good they are, are not a whole lot without their manager taking a more active role in the day-to-day. A great example of this was being able to reach out to K9/Kanzo whenever I needed to back in 5/6. Myself not being the only one, either. Everyone was able to reach out to those two. Whether it was swapping tiers, or discussing strategies. That welcoming feeling surely made me play a whole lot better. To add, had it not been for them, I surely wouldn't have played half as decent as I did back then. And I'm certain it did for other, too.

I made this thread with the purpose of reading things like this

At least I do not plan to enter psl or tournaments at this time, I think my team is for people who are tired of that area, but nevertheless I would like the idea of including them if they can and want, and form part of that beautiful anecdote that you tell me

thanks for the comment friend ♥

Hace 12 horas, KaynineXL dijo:

Una base de jugadores clave hace que ese equipo sea único. Cuando piensas en equipos, piensas en los jugadores principales. Es importante porque no importa cuánto te esfuerces, los jugadores van y vienen, pero de vez en cuando, tienes uno que se queda y realmente hace suyo al equipo.

Esto no sucede de la noche a la mañana y puede llevar años establecerlo, por lo que la dedicación es quizás uno de los factores más importantes aquí.

entiendo esto, sin embargo, me pregunto si seré capaz de lograr eso, he estado en poke desde 2013 - 2015 más o menos

Por más que lo intenté, nunca tuve la oportunidad de estar en un equipo, siempre sentí que había más que suficiente, nunca encontré un lugar para mí y en el que me sienta cómodo.

lo mas parecido fue un equipo llamado Fire hace muchos años

Por eso surge esta pequeña idea de crear un lugar ''triste'' para aquellas personas que no encuentran lugar, con el fin de que ese sentimiento no exista.

espero lograr esa tarea como lider, muchas gracias k9 ♥

Edited by Crueldad
Fail
7 hours ago, awkways said:

Old Mr.

A lot of what I would say makes a good leader has already been said, but to just add my own thoughts, I find it important to just engage with those in your team as much as possible and get to know them. Make them feel comfortable and enjoy the environment they are in. There are many ways to do this of course and how you engage your members should be based on what your team is all about. I've also found that having reliable people around you as also helps with your own leadership. You want people who are willing to call you out if you're in the wrong and push you in the right direction. In the long run that helps you grow

14 hours ago, awkways said:

boss's words. Mr pride

8 hours ago, Ploegy said:

Mucho de lo que diría que hace a un buen líder ya se ha dicho, pero solo para agregar mis propios pensamientos, creo que es importante interactuar con los miembros de su equipo tanto como sea posible y llegar a conocerlos. Haz que se sientan cómodos y disfruten del entorno en el que se encuentran. Hay muchas maneras de hacer esto, por supuesto, y la forma en que involucras a tus miembros debe basarse en lo que hace tu equipo. También descubrí que tener personas confiables a tu alrededor también ayuda con tu propio liderazgo. Quieres personas que estén dispuestas a llamarte si estás equivocado y empujarte en la dirección correcta. A la larga eso te ayuda a crecer

I feel that there are some issues left to touch, but everything here is the fundamental basis of how to be a good leader, and I will take it into account ❤️

As a leader and person I will have to grow, all in due time, but at least I know that with these tips I will do very well. Anyone who wants to comment on more things is welcome, it is good to have more ideas and build a more stable project ♥

On 6/3/2022 at 12:25 AM, Crueldad said:

what you are proposing to me kupo is something very serious and the truth is that it helps me to have an idea of how to take a path in the future, I at least needed that structure, thanks kupoopoprpo ♥

I want to learn from my mistakes, I know that not everything is magic and fairy dust, but I will do my best ❤️

There's probably one other piece of advice that could be given and that I'll advise to use in future once you've found your fundamental staff team and that's implementing a mentor system, similar to official staff but on a smaller scale with their own mentor chat etc. you can use it for pve/pvp/multi-languages or by team roles of Officer > Executive > leader, the choice is yours . This not only encourage growth & strengthen relationships amongst every team staff or members but also helps building a strong structure for the team & purpose, I've had fantastic success with that, however finding that balance can be difficult. 

if you need any drafts for anything that i mentioned, team staff or official let me know and I'll happily provide examples.

good luck! ❤️

16 hours ago, min1004kr said:

Conviértete en un jugador superior en cualquier nivel, entonces serás un buen líder en este juego.

It's a nice idea ''to be the best'' but I don't consider that appropriate for me, I'm not looking to be the best or stand out from the others, I just want to have fun with my friends and have a good time ♥

11 hours ago, Rittz said:

1. Sea activo.

2. Sea útil.

3. No seas arrogante.

You just broke my team scheme with the ''be useful''

I will prioritize many things, and with this new advice I will try to industrialize the way to moderate the team, do everything efficiently, quickly, well and not be heavy

also as a leader I have to put more things hahaha but thank you very much friend ♥

Hace 7 horas, Kupokun dijo:

Probablemente haya otro consejo que se podría dar y que recomendaré usar en el futuro una vez que haya encontrado su equipo de personal fundamental y que esté implementando un sistema de mentores, similar al personal oficial pero en una escala más pequeña con su propio mentor. chatear, etc. puede usarse para pve/pvp/multi-languages o por roles de equipo de Officer > Executive > leader, la elección es suya. Esto no solo fomenta el crecimiento y fortalece las relaciones entre el personal o los miembros de cada equipo, sino que también ayuda a construir una estructura sólida para el equipo y el propósito. He tenido un fantástico éxito con eso, sin embargo, encontrar ese equilibrio puede ser difícil. 

si necesita algún borrador de cualquier cosa que mencioné, el personal del equipo o el funcionario hágamelo saber y con gusto le proporcionaré ejemplos.

¡buena suerte!❤️

Ty mr kupoo ♥♥♥

Edited by Crueldad
Fail

Little by little I have applied everything that I have been told and recommended, I am happy to say that it has improved many aspects of my team, thank you all very much ♥

I hope that whoever needs the topic like me, get the best they can from here to help their team