July-2022 Movement Discussion

11 hours ago, Imperial said:

What are people's thoughts on Magic Bounce Espeon as a screen setter in NU?

Espeon can set up and switch out using Baton Pass, avoiding pursuit trappers. It also can bounce back defog and other moves meaning screens will safely be up for at least 1-2 turns, so to me it's pretty similar to Electrode minus the amount of speed, yet Electrode got banned from NU.

I'm not saying that Espeon needs to be banned, of course there are scarf users and Sceptile who are faster, but it was just something which came to my head.

P.S. Not to mention Espeon was already a fantastic offensive powerhouse in the tier, especially with 2 more answers (Absol and Zoroark) moving up to UU.

Does magic bounce prevent screen removal? Entry hazards are still removed when used I'm pretty sure.

2 hours ago, epicdavenport said:

Does magic bounce prevent screen removal? Entry hazards are still removed when used I'm pretty sure.

It bounces defog which is the main way to remove opposing screens.
So it a way yes it prevents screesn removal, your only way left is "Brick Break" which is not really used but might be because of that

The amount of turns screens are up is still 8 if holding light clay, that's not what they are talking about ? 

Edited by TohnR
On 7/1/2022 at 1:27 PM, xMago said:
+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Venusaur Sludge Bomb vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Rotom-Heat: 129-152 (82.1 - 96.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Venusaur Weather Ball (100 BP Fire) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Crobat in Sun: 169-200 (88 - 104.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Venusaur Sludge Bomb vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Snorlax: 125-148 (46.8 - 55.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
when snorlax sleep , is gg venu

What will put Snorlax to sleep and why isn't Snorlax running fire punch+sleep talk?

4 hours ago, CaptnBaklava said:

Can we talk about Ambipom + Quick Attack and Fake Out completely demolishing any atemps to play Offense in NU? It was really good against Offense before and a 2nd priority move makes it even better. 

I agree on ambipom but also as soon as it's gone the Volturno combo will be more annoying than it already is.

7 hours ago, Umbramol said:

Todavía no respondiste la primera pregunta que es vital. Porque si pones polvo para dormir en Venusaur, pierdes tu habilidad de barrer

Rest only , i thinking for growth set

7 hours ago, xMago said:

I think snorlax is capable of managing venu even with rest. For example lets say venusaur switches in as snorlax uses rest. It has three attacking turns before snorlax can attack back. So if it uses growth in the first turn and then uses the remaining two turns to attack with sludge bomb,

+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Venusaur Sludge Bomb vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Snorlax: 125-148 (46.8 - 55.4%) -- 13.3% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Even in this worst case situation chance for 2hko is only 13 percent, and then snorlax has this to reply

0 Atk Snorlax Heat Crash (100 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Venusaur in Sun: 144-170 (92.3 - 108.9%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO

Assuming sun will be active when heat crash is used snorlax can manage venusaur in this way. The heat crash should ko since venusaur will have life orb recoil from using the 2 sludge bombs. And these situations are mentioned considering curse snorlax with two attacking moves and not rest+sleep talk lax

Edited by Onraider
20 hours ago, CaptnBaklava said:

Can we talk about Ambipom + Quick Attack and Fake Out completely demolishing any atemps to play Offense in NU? It was really good against Offense before and a 2nd priority move makes it even better. 

You don't need to stay and take the double priority. Just switch to anything that can (And a lot can).

If your team cannot switch against double priority normal stab, then it cannot switch against any powerful normal move. If it has no answers for normal spam, you should re-evaluate your team. 

Just because you are forced to lose a bit of momentum by switching to the appropriate Pokemon, doesn't mean Ambipom is an issue, unless those answers are scarce, which is not the case.

39 minutes ago, pachima said:

You don't need to stay and take the double priority. Just switch to anything that can (And a lot can).

If your team cannot switch against double priority normal stab, then it cannot switch against any powerful normal move. If it has no answers for normal spam, you should re-evaluate your team. 

Just because you are forced to lose a bit of momentum by switching to the appropriate Pokemon, doesn't mean Ambipom is an issue, unless those answers are scarce, which is not the case.

Technician Fake Out + Quick Attack are like a 180 Base Power move with Stab. The amount of switches for Last Resort Ambipom that aren't ghost types are quite limited and easily abused by u-turn. 

You are right with the point that a team should be able to deal with it, that's why I use Steelix in everyone for now. 

Things like my HO Rain are just unplayable tho. 

31 minutes ago, gbwead said:

Venusaur is over 7% usage in OU. It's not staying UU. There is no need to convince anyone of anything. It will move up no matter what anyone's opinion may be.

I'm more curious and cautious with the new 4.36% usage happening each month, how much of a shitfest NU is going to be as so much will be dropping back down (even though it's still early days).

On 7/10/2022 at 2:22 PM, CaptnBaklava said:

Technician Fake Out + Quick Attack are like a 180 Base Power move with Stab. The amount of switches for Last Resort Ambipom that aren't ghost types are quite limited and easily abused by u-turn. 

You are right with the point that a team should be able to deal with it, that's why I use Steelix in everyone for now. 

They have carracosta, relicanth and huntail can sucker punch to outspeed Quick attack. 

Thats far from unplayable. 

On 7/10/2022 at 7:08 AM, xMago said:

If a +2 does around half HP, with Venusaur you set up when Snorlax comes in, you hit it fro 50% and under sun it kills you with a fire punch. And that's the end of the argument. It doesn't go to sleep. If opposing snorlax has been put under pressure before that and went to sleep that's not on Venusaur being really strong, but because of other factors that played out in the game. But yes as people said , Venusaur will rise to OU so no point discussing it more. Just pointing out that claiming Venusaur is broken because it beats Snorlax is wrong, it doesn't beat Snorlax.

On 7/10/2022 at 2:22 PM, CaptnBaklava said:

ban it to ou i agree .-. 

17 hours ago, DoubleJ said:

FYI Venu, Serp, and Torkoal to OU and Espeon to UU by usage. 

Moved too early(Especially UU, because UU aren't played on Event, nobody play on him, and the ones that plays are farming the event. So, the usage is only of the 4 days that events end) but ok.

Edited by caioxlive13

I’ve been testing how well Iron Fist + Drain Punch works on Infernape. Infernape’s never had access to Drain Punch in any other PVP setting (Smogon, VGC, etc.) since it was given access to it in Legends: Arceus.

I have been using a Choice Band set w/ a Jolly Nature. I’m still trying to pick between switching back to Close Combat for the raw power or sticking with Drain Punch for the recovery.  

I was messing around with the Damage Calculator on Showdown earlier and am 99% sure Infernape’s Drain Punch OHKOs all the Pokémon in OU that are weak to fighting. Close Combat does this too but Drain Punch gives Infernape health in return without any stat drops.  The main drawback w/ Drain Punch is that Close Combat will do more damage (even with Iron Fist) to a neutral target which can really come in handy. Has anyone else been seeing how well Iron Fist Infernape does in OU?

Edited by azuloon
3 hours ago, azuloon said:

I’ve been testing how well Iron Fist + Drain Punch works on Infernape. Infernape’s never had access to Drain Punch in any other PVP setting (Smogon, VGC, etc.) since it was given access to it in Legends: Arceus.

I have been using a Choice Band set w/ a Jolly Nature. I’m still trying to pick between switching back to Close Combat for the raw power or sticking with Drain Punch for the recovery.  

I was messing around with the Damage Calculator on Showdown earlier and am 99% sure Infernape’s Drain Punch OHKOs all the Pokémon in OU that are weak to fighting. Close Combat does this too but Drain Punch gives Infernape health in return without any stat drops.  The main drawback w/ Drain Punch is that Close Combat will do more damage (even with Iron Fist) to a neutral target which can really come in handy. Has anyone else been seeing how well Iron Fist Infernape does in OU?

close combat is better

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.