A critique on 'The Original You' Boss

Hi all, I just wanted to make a quick post on this to gauge opinions on what people think of the current state of the boss. While I personally have not fought it myself, I've spent a lot of time just sitting around asking how the boss reacts to certain moves, spectating, and seeing how others have been handling it with various strategies so I don't have to spent the resources myself just to see how it works and reacts to certain moves.

Personally, I am in the camp that I think this boss right now is a little too much, and really only accessible by PokeMMO's hardcore community. I don't even think I'm particularly bad at competitive either, I've broken into the top 100 for both doubles and singles, yet there's just so much theory-crafted ideas that I have thought about using against the boss that just flat out won't work due to some of the mechanics that have been placed on it. There's admittedly a lot of interesting things about the boss- being able to shrug off status, being able to go through Protect, being able to shrug off stat decreases after a turn, retaliating after a death, being given a free tailwind, having "flame' stealth rocks, ect. It's just in my opinion that a various combination of these mechanics on how the boss functions really has made it to where only incredibly niche strategies and comps end up being usable against the boss, and your preexisting knowledge of just how Pokemon works doesn't serve you too handy in the boss fight, hence its inaccessibility.

I understand the need to not have everyone have the ability to beat the boss, however I'm just seeing way too niche and specific of sets- usually revolving around Togekiss using Hyper Voice and buffing it to the max. I'm sure there will be some people that have beat the boss that will say "Just breed a 5x31 Calm togekiss with max EV's in sp def and sp attack for the boss" or suggest other one-dimensional comps or ideas, but this is exactly the point I'm trying to make- I don't think players should have to do this, and I think it certainly makes less people actually get to experience playing and winning against the boss.

People with resources are indeed favored everytime in these events, and do profit from just sitting back waiting for the strat to be out and just pick from their boxes the mon they already have. I've never been a fan of these events because it just becomes a brain dead grind, and there's no incentive to just not play the most optimal team. 

I agree that it is more accessible than Halloween. I wish they changed something in their event formula of a "boss" and made it evolutive - like for example, as the days go by, the boss show new actions or new pokemon, it would be imo more fun to play. However it falls still on the same issue of unfair resources and newer player might even more suffer from it - but maybe they'd have more fun and maybe you also have room to come up with bosses that can be beaten with more ways, reduce the challenge a bit since it wouldn't be able to be farmed for days once u can beat it. 

I was thinking too a rework of the event economy could change a few things to positive experience of the actual boss fight - it is quite expensive (150k atm) to enter a battle if you're not sure to beat it or if you just want to play around. People would be more creative and stuff if they didn't suffer so much from trying. Pretty sure there are many ways to reward players that decrease the "pay to play" thing. 

How does this cost too much...?

2x X-SPdef

1x X-Spatk

1x X-speed

Two energy roots.

That's literally killing two gym leaders. In return you're getting 3 golden chests (sometimes more), alpha pokemon and particle on every of party participant pokemons. I really don't get how this is "too much".

Boss itself requires a strategy and a little bit of resources, but even bootleg "comps" can easily do it.

3 minutes ago, RysPicz said:

2x X-SPdef

1x X-Spatk

1x X-speed

Two energy roots.

That's literally killing two gym leaders. In return you're getting 3 golden chests (sometimes more), alpha pokemon and particle on every of party participant pokemons. I really don't get how this is "too much".

Boss itself requires a strategy and a little bit of resources, but even bootleg "comps" can easily do it.

Theres the medallion cost also which is roughly twice or 2.5 times the price of a golden chest

Edited by Onraider
32 minutes ago, RysPicz said:

2x X-SPdef

1x X-Spatk

1x X-speed

Two energy roots.

My main point though was that players are being brought down this one-dimensional path for success in terms of beating the boss. I know you're really referring to the person who commented before you, but I am personally finding it lame that players are just being railroaded down this one path to beat the boss. It would be cool if Snarl spam worked on the boss, if flinch haxing the bosses actually worked, if players could count on status, etc.

2 hours ago, Raichuforyou said:

Personally, I am in the camp that I think this boss right now is a little too much, and really only accessible by PokeMMO's hardcore community. I don't even think I'm particularly bad at competitive either, I've broken into the top 100 for both doubles and singles

Its the easier boss to defeat on pokemmo history, I really cant understand how the people have problems to beat him. It's so incredibly easy, that the medallion to fight him currently costs more than everything you get from defeating him because people beat him and farm too easily.

4 minutes ago, NagaX said:

Its the easier boss to defeat on pokemmo history, I really cant understand how the people have problems to beat him. It's so incredibly easy, that the medallion to fight him currently costs more than everything you get from defeating him because people beat him and farm too easily.

Personally, I think if I currently went in with my double comp team, my singles team, or my gym sweeping team, I would get wiped in this battle.

3 minutes ago, Raichuforyou said:

Personally, I think if I currently went in with my double comp team, my singles team, or my gym sweeping team, I would get wiped in this battle.

Exactly like halloween, for example. But everyone (or almost everyone) have a blissey and a togekiss, are two of more common mons to start breeding when u start playing competitive.  And 2 spdef x, 1 spatk x, 1 vel x + some healing items, well, literally everyone in this game can pay that items. 
Just boost and spam hypervoice, you don't even need to think 

If there's one thing for me that I'd have liked is that the medallions be untradable.

Buying a load of medallions from GTL in order to obtain the particles, get your alpha Pokemon or simply because it was better money in my opinion makes the event one dimensional because it's only ever worth doing one thing(the gym battles) or the other(the boss fight)

This would have made those farming the gym leaders have to fight the boss in order to use up their rewards and those who want boss rewards would need to battle the gym leaders forcing players to play the whole event.

11 hours ago, KaynineXL said:

If there's one thing for me that I'd have liked is that the medallions be untradable.

Buying a load of medallions from GTL in order to obtain the particles, get your alpha Pokemon or simply because it was better money in my opinion makes the event one dimensional because it's only ever worth doing one thing(the gym battles) or the other(the boss fight)

This would have made those farming the gym leaders have to fight the boss in order to use up their rewards and those who want boss rewards would need to battle the gym leaders forcing players to play the whole event.

Agree. Untradeable medallions would have propped up the value of the items/boss rewards a little longer too. It's two days into a two week event and the regular NPCs are already equal if not better as a moneymaking method due to market oversaturation

Note: not so much a criticism as much as it is an afterthought. Tradeable medallions make the event very accessible to newer players also, which I assume was the intention given that it is a celebratory event

Edited by Zymogen
47 minutes ago, NagaX said:

medallion to fight him currently costs more than everything you get from defeating him because people beat him and farm too easily.

Alpha pokemon costs more than medallion though

Spoiler

and it is repeatable if you have a lot of alt accounts

Spoiler

like really a lot

Spoiler

with 8 badges

Spoiler

^_^

Thinking you are wasting time. He is the easiest boss in the history of the game. You don't need to think and you need items that you find lying on the floor passing the story. The medal? Just beat some leaders and they will give you several so you can try to beat the boss several times. Chansey sure you have some and Togekiss the same, enough. easy and profitable. Stop thinking and start farming.

I feel many people miss OP point if they answer that it's easy to beat the boss. 

7 hours ago, Deliburd said:

easy and profitable. Stop thinking and start farming.

Like, this is what's being critiqued. I feel like OP arguments were decently brought to the point where you cant reduce their attempt at "complaining". So please give respect at least and bring something to the conversation.

22 minutes ago, Poufilou said:

I feel many people miss OP point if they answer that it's easy to beat the boss. 

Like, this is what's being critiqued. I feel like OP arguments were decently brought to the point where you cant reduce their attempt at "complaining". So please give respect at least and bring something to the conversation.

I think the one who doesn't respect an opinion is you. For me he is the easiest boss in the history of the game. 4 turns, 5 minutes. You can beat him even with just 1 Blissey. Do not look for your benefit, it is an event for everyone to farm, it does not have any difficulty and if you say otherwise it is because you did not play it.

11 hours ago, Deliburd said:

Thinking you are wasting time. He is the easiest boss in the history of the game. You don't need to think and you need items that you find lying on the floor passing the story. The medal? Just beat some leaders and they will give you several so you can try to beat the boss several times. Chansey sure you have some and Togekiss the same, enough. easy and profitable. Stop thinking and start farming.

Exactly, I love the whole Event so far, made me some lovely Cash (thats 6 hrs of clever strats)

Screenshot_20220625-165042_PokeMMO.jpg