Fast Ditto farming without Assist

Until now i used the double smeargle team to farm Dittos, because it is the fastest way to catch Dittos.

But it has always annoyed me, that this method extremly limits the moves you can put on your team, since you want spore to be the only move that is callable with assist.

Because of that, i tried to find a method that is as fast and more versatile and I found possible methods.

1. Magnemite + Torterra

Spoiler

Magnemite:

• Level: 100
  • Ability: Sturdy
  • Item: Full Incense
  • Moveset: Only Volt Switch (You can put other electric type attacks or non damage dealing attacks on it if you dont want to remove moves)
  • Nature: Rash (+SpA, -SpD)
  • EVs: 252 Att, 252 Spe, 6 HP
  • IVs (multiple options): 

- 0 SpD + min. 19 SpA

- 1 SpD + min. 21 SpA

- 2 SpD + min. 23 SpA

- 3 SpD + min. 26 SpA

- 4 SpD + min. 29 SpA

akozkmudu18.jpgjkslfisuq46.jpg

izvdculyu44.jpg

Thanks to the Full Incense Magnemites Volt Switch hits after Ditto has transformed.

The max hp the wild Dittos can have is 112.

The mentioned nature + IVs + EVs are needed, so that we deal at least 111 hp damage to the transformed Ditto.

Spoiler

Torterra:

• Level: doesnt matter
  • Ability: doesnt matter
  • Item: Zoom Lens
  • Moveset: Sleep Powder (rest doesnt matter)
  • Nature: not +Spe
  • EVs: 0 Spe (rest doesnt matter)
  • IVs: doesnt matter

bvplfxrxx56.jpguqlvscpnt55.jpgjdgnyhbcx46.jpg

Our Torterra needs to be slower than our Magnemite in order to get the 20% accurancy increase from the zoom lens. (So that our Sleep Powder will hit all the time)

With a nature that doesnt boost your speed and 0 EVs in Spe, even a Torterra with 31 Spe IVs is slower than a 0 Spe IV Magnemite.

Execution:

1. Lead with Magnemite and use Volt Switch -> Ditto will transform before the attack and survive with 1 hp due to sturdy.
  2. Send in Torterra and use 100% accurate Sleep Powder -> Ditto only knows Volt Switch and cant hit Torterra. Ditto goes to sleep.
  3. Catch it.

Conclusion:

This method is slightly slower than the double smeargle method. You need only two moves like with the smeargles, but you need to switch mons with volt switch.

But since you dont need assist, you are free to use whatever move you like on all mons except Magnemite. (for example teleport to get back to the pc faster)

2. Yawn Smeargle

Spoiler

Smeargle:

• Level: 100
  • Ability: Technician
  • Silk Scarf
  • Moveset: Yawn, False Swipe
  • Nature: Lonely (+Atk, -Def)
  • EVs: 252 Atk
  • IVs (multiple options):

- 4 Def + min 30 Atk

- 3 Def + min 29 Atk

- 2 Def + min 26 Atk

- 1 Def + min 25 Atk

- 0 Def + min 22 Atk

tqxktunsx66.jpgccenbqwnl51.jpgmbobhkybw26.jpg

Execution:

1. Lead with Smeargle and use Yawn.
  2. Use False Swipe
  3. Catch

Conclusion:

Since this is an extremly easy and obvious method Im sure that im not the first one using it, but i havent seen it so far.

This method is as fast as the assist method.

And since you dont need assist, you are free to use whatever move you like on all mons except Smeargle. (for example teleport to get back to the pc faster)

Only downside from this method is that if you dont catch the Ditto with the first ball and he used Yawn on your False Swipe turn, then you go to sleep. To lower the chances of the Ditto using yawn on the second turn you can put 2 additional moves (for example helping hand and foresight) on the smeargle.

I just write this guide in case anybody else is as annoyed from the assist restrictions as i am and is looking for another fast method to farm Dittos 😉

Edited by essigessenz

Other method:

- Assist Spore

Requirements:
 - Smeargle with Assist + False Swipe + Two status moves to just spend PP and ditto don't get on Struggle Early.
 - Any mon that know spore. Must have on their learnset Spore Only, or other moves that cannot be called by Assist.

Proceed;

Lead with Smeargle. Use Assist.(that will call spore.)
Then, go to False Swipe,
Start throwing Poké Balls until catch.

Edited by caioxlive13
1 minute ago, caioxlive13 said:

Other method:

- Assist Spore

Requirements:
 - Smeargle with Assist + False Swipe + Two status moves to just spend PP and ditto don't get on Struggle Early.
 - Any mon that know spore. Must have on their learnset Spore Only, or other moves that cannot be called by Assist.

Proceed;

Lead with Smeargle. Use Assist.(that will call spore.)
Then, go to False Swipe,
Start throwing Poké Balls until catch.

Yeah, thats the methode i used so far.

But assist restricted my moves to much, thats why i was looking for other methods.

17 hours ago, LucasLyn5 said:

I might be incredibly unknowing, but what exactly does this add?

I don't really see how this would be much better than a Sub, Spore & FS Breloom?

Breloom takes 3 turns. These methods takes 2. You gain a little bit of time. It doesn't matter a lot in the end which method you use as long as you're comfortable with them, OP said they don't like Assist and then shared two others. They have their advantages and inconveniences. 

Whats about smeargle/whatever: Spore, False Swipe, Repeat/Dusk Ball?

I feel like this is unnecessary 'complicated' and comes with 2 pokemon slots instead of one. So i dont really get the point.

But i respect the fancy moves.

Edited by Johnwaynee
On 7/10/2022 at 5:33 PM, essigessenz said:

To lower the chances of the Ditto using yawn on the second turn you can put 2 additional moves (for example helping hand and foresight) on the smeargle.

You can teach Worry Seed too, so there's a chance your Smeargle never goes to sleep. (that goes for the Spore versions aswell)

• 3 months later...

Literally just buy dig and teleport ocarinas then. Why make this so complicated. The assist smeargle strat is the FASTEST and most efficient by far. I almost always catch the ditto on TURN 3 using this strat with a duskball.

My first smeargle has: False swipe, assist, soak, sweet scent

2nd has: Spore and covet(in case of shiny in swarm) also covet is not callable by assist

How is this annoying and restricting again lol

Edited by Vitaminwhite
More info
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/27/2022 at 6:03 PM, Vitaminwhite said:

Literally just buy dig and teleport ocarinas then. Why make this so complicated. The assist smeargle strat is the FASTEST and most efficient by far. I almost always catch the ditto on TURN 3 using this strat with a duskball.

My first smeargle has: False swipe, assist, soak, sweet scent

2nd has: Spore and covet(in case of shiny in swarm) also covet is not callable by assist

How is this annoying and restricting again lol

On which pokemon you have Spore + Covet? Was wondering and scared of getting a shiny on a horde and not having any clearing moves.

• 2 weeks later...