Encounter counter

Hi, Im a software engineer and for time to time I play pokemmo. As my daily driver I use linux and I notice every encounter counter is only for windows.       

Im gonna create a new one which will work for linux, windows, macos. The main question is how the verification process from devs looks like? Also if you have any ideas about new functionality, please leave a comment here. 
Best
rengaret

Edited by rengaret
3 hours ago, rengaret said:

Hi, Im a software engineer and for time to time I play pokemmo. As my daily driver I use linux and I notice every encounter counter is only for windows.       

Im gonna create a new one which will work for linux, windows, macos. The main question is how the verification process from devs looks like? Also if you have any ideas about new functionality, please leave a comment here. 
Best
rengaret

I'm on Linux as well and this encounter counter has worked really well for me and I never had any issues with it. Only downside is you can't minimize the game or cover the HP bars with other windows because the way it works is by taking screenshots and looking for the HP bars in them.

This comment from the post should also help when it comes to getting it to work on Linux since the process is slightly different.

On 1/15/2021 at 1:40 AM, WingCommander said:

I got this working on Linux (Xubuntu 18.04). Mostly, I followed the steps of the OP.  But, here are the additional steps that I had to do to make this work.

Step 1: Skip. Xubuntu comes with Python, no need to download Windows version of Python.

Step 2: Download the file as described

Step 3: Skip. I will be using a different method. I will be running it from the terminal (xfce4-terminal, although all terminals should work). Which shell you use shouldn't matter.

Step 4: This is where the differences begin. I opened the "initial_setup.bat" file, then modified each line from "python -m ..." to "python3 -m ..." (Yes, it uses Python3.) I then copied each line and pasted it to the terminal to run it.

Also, I had to install the following program (requires administrator privilages).

sudo apt-get install scrot

Step 5: I edited "encounter_counter.pyw" with my favorite text editor (leafpad). Then, I changed the Character Coding to Linux encoding (from windows) (LF only) and save the file. To run the script, in the terminal, use two commands (corrected for my unzipped location):

cd /path/to/script/folder

python3 /path/to/script/folder/encounter_counter.pyw

Step 6: Follow as instructed.

If you want to have the counter on top of other windows, right click on it's entry on the task bar, and select "On Top of Other Windows" or similar methods for your Desktop Environment.

Also note that for my personal taste, I added the hash-bang (#!/usr/bin/python3) at the start of the python script and marked the executable flag because I prefer just typing the file name.

Hopefully this will help those Linux users out there.

Edit: Forgot to mention the installation of scrot and a few font changes.

Refer to this post for rules on getting staff review / approval for your application.

A simple encounter counter is quite easy to code across the 3 platforms. But, doing anything complex (like ignoring windows in front of HP bars, determining encountered pokemon's species, and determining if the battle is a wild battle vs a pvp battle) is exponentially more difficult. Best of luck! 

• 3 weeks later...