Mints in Pokemmo

Jhaxubo

Question

Hello Pokemmo people, did you know that there is an item called mints in Pokémon.
The way it works is that by giving that mint to the Pokémon, the nature is changed. There are mints for all different natures. My proposal is to add these items, but not for breeding but for the exclusive use of the Pokémon obtained by gift. These Pokémon are obtained through adventure and as prizes in official events or tournaments.

Edited by Jhaxubo

11 answers to this question

There's def some positives to this idea. People can use it to somewhat turn gift mons (from story or friends) into pokes that are more efficient for daily use be it pay-daying, npc rebattles or even pvp without rebreeding. The ability to do this while maintaining OT and obtained date would be quite invaluable for pokemon with sentimental value. 

The only negative is that such an item could easily crush the breeding market if implemented incorrectly.

10 hours ago, Branaso said:

It just makes no sense bc you do have the choice of chosing The nature if the gifted pokemon if it's a pvp/event/tournament reward

Yes it does make sense. The problem with gift shinies (and being locked to one specific nature) is that it doesn't take long until every player in the game knows the nature of your gift shiny and it puts the player using it in a disadvantage. Being able to change the nature would solve this issue and make gift shinies actually competitively viable.

Now, I am aware the devs probably are not going to implement something this specific and a thing that affects such a small number of the playerbase but assuming that having your gift shiny being locked to the nature you decide from the beginning doesn't have any downsides is just wrong.

1 hour ago, OrangeManiac said:

Yes it does make sense. The problem with gift shinies (and being locked to one specific nature) is that it doesn't take long until every player in the game knows the nature of your gift shiny and it puts the player using it in a disadvantage. Being able to change the nature would solve this issue and make gift shinies actually competitively viable.

Now, I am aware the devs probably are not going to implement something this specific and a thing that affects such a small number of the playerbase but assuming that having your gift shiny being locked to the nature you decide from the beginning doesn't have any downsides is just wrong.

You say that sooner or later everyone is gonna know the nature of your gift shiny and it puts you in a disadvantage, but when you are picking the nature in the first place, you are picking the nature that is most suited for the build you are gonna use and depending on the mon you are using, that nature can be guessed relatively easily unless you are going for an off build. 

Even if mints exist and you want to change the nature of the gift Mon, you are still likely to change it to a nature that is within expectations for that Mon so the disadvantage is still there regardless of whether you have the mint or not.

Besides when you actually play in comp, whether it's PvP gift or not people can sort of guess the nature of the mon so your point that the mint changing the nature makes the gift Mon viable makes no sense.

That being said, it's true there is some merit to using mints to make Mons gifted from story not completely useless post game, but it should only be limited to that.

Wow okay so that might be just one of the worst posts I have ever seen in suggestion forums and I don't make this claim easily. Let me just go through this bit by bit.

12 minutes ago, MMOcritic said:

You say that sooner or later everyone is gonna know the nature of your gift shiny and it puts you in a disadvantage, but when you are picking the nature in the first place, you are picking the nature that is most suited for the build you are gonna use and depending on the mon you are using, that nature can be guessed relatively easily unless you are going for an off build. 

While competitive players primarily expect the most common set for a Pokemon, the level of uncertainty often causes players in many cases to play cautiously because they are not sure of its build until it uses an attack or it is attacked. Being certain of the nature negates any uncertainty in this regard and allows the opponent to skip the "cautious scouting turn" which in many high tempo matches can be a huge benefit. Also, if you're playing like you always assume every opposing Pokemon to have its meta-build, then I'm guessing you have rarely made past round 3 of any tournament. Just the possibility of a changed nature would keep opponent being unsure of its nature and forces them to play more cautiously.

18 minutes ago, MMOcritic said:

Even if mints exist and you want to change the nature of the gift Mon, you are still likely to change it to a nature that is within expectations for that Mon so the disadvantage is still there regardless of whether you have the mint or not.

Besides when you actually play in comp, whether it's PvP gift or not people can sort of guess the nature of the mon so your point that the mint changing the nature makes the gift Mon viable makes no sense.

Again, it is different that a player knows a Pokemon is "one of these four possible natures" than "I know for a fact my opponent is Adamant". There is a huge difference. And I can't believe I have to spell this out.

Then just speaking anecdotally for a second, how come you can claim that playing while knowing or not knowing the nature of your gift shiny is effectively the same. How many gift shinies do you have? Or any competitive achievements in general? Do you have any first hand experience of being in this scenario? As far as searching your name, you definitely don't as I don't see you have won a single thing but please correct me if I'm wrong. Meanwhile, I have had multiple cases where players have said their knowledge of my nature in my shiny affected the decision they went for in a battle. While, I could have easily avoided this by not using a shiny in a battle to begin with, I still think shinies are the desired trophies in this game that should be encouraged to be used and a disadvantage like this certainly isn't helping with it. Being retroactively able to change the nature would fix this issue to some extent, although I am a realist and don't really expect this to ever happen.

1 hour ago, OrangeManiac said:

Wow okay so that might be just one of the worst posts I have ever seen in suggestion forums and I don't make this claim easily. Let me just go through this bit by bit.

While competitive players primarily expect the most common set for a Pokemon, the level of uncertainty often causes players in many cases to play cautiously because they are not sure of its build until it uses an attack or it is attacked. Being certain of the nature negates any uncertainty in this regard and allows the opponent to skip the "cautious scouting turn" which in many high tempo matches can be a huge benefit. Also, if you're playing like you always assume every opposing Pokemon to have its meta-build, then I'm guessing you have rarely made past round 3 of any tournament. Just the possibility of a changed nature would keep opponent being unsure of its nature and forces them to play more cautiously.

Again, it is different that a player knows a Pokemon is "one of these four possible natures" than "I know for a fact my opponent is Adamant". There is a huge difference. And I can't believe I have to spell this out.

Then just speaking anecdotally for a second, how come you can claim that playing while knowing or not knowing the nature of your gift shiny is effectively the same. How many gift shinies do you have? Or any competitive achievements in general? Do you have any first hand experience of being in this scenario? As far as searching your name, you definitely don't as I don't see you have won a single thing but please correct me if I'm wrong. Meanwhile, I have had multiple cases where players have said their knowledge of my nature in my shiny affected the decision they went for in a battle. While, I could have easily avoided this by not using a shiny in a battle to begin with, I still think shinies are the desired trophies in this game that should be encouraged to be used and a disadvantage like this certainly isn't helping with it. Being retroactively able to change the nature would fix this issue to some extent, although I am a realist and don't really expect this to ever happen.

You make an excellent point and I agree, in a tournament setting where your opponents can see your matches and get used to the teams you are using and eventually have the knowledge of what nature your shiny is, yes your point makes sense. My perspective when I made the post was from a regular matchmaking setting where as far as I know you may not be facing the same opponents everytime and so the element of surprise is still there.

Besides gift shinies are not only from PvP tourneys, you could get them from catch events too if you are lucky.

Edited by MMOcritic
Sentence rephrase
25 minutes ago, Minks said:

"it doesnt take long until every player in the game knows the nature of ur gifted shiny"

please go outside

please make constructive posts and not spill bullshit about things you have no idea about

5 hours ago, OrangeManiac said:

just get multiple comp shinies ez