A general thread to discuss future unofficial tournaments?

My suggestion would be make a calendar for the big tournaments. And make a tournament director team that approve tournaments they will mainly look if the schedule fit and if the player is recognised enough by the community (if a tournament doesn’t fit the schedule it will be put in a queue so we don’t see rushed events). Now you probably think you can just post regardless since there is no forum rule from stopping you. So my proposal to let this work is maybe make a donation bank for unofficial tournaments and get a funding based on the tournament. You also might think how we get these Tournament directors I think the easiest way is to let players vote that played in last 3 psls. And finalists from last 2 world cup. Something a bit off topic but nice is that you can punish players the leave tournaments.

sry for my bad english.

i stole this idea from smogon.

Edited by Quinn010
12 hours ago, OrangeManiac said:

Also, something I really think this community should get rid of is the "first come, first serve" basis for major events. It almost feels like whenever a major event like PSL ends, people are instantly rushing in with a new event after it just so that other people won't manage to host their events in time.

100% to everything said but on that specific point:
We should start shitting on hosts again. Back in the day you'd have to be a masochist to want to host PSL, that's why people respected those who would & no random ass people attempted to host.
rollsafe.gif.7a5c88e8e1d8373dfd1e6177162277df.gif

On 8/5/2022 at 7:54 AM, OrangeManiac said:

That's why I'm suggesting we should open (preferably pinned thread) to unofficial tournaments where people can share their ideas of a tournament they wanna host and community members can give feedback whether they are willing to participate in it and when would be a good time to start the tournament series. Hosts for different events could also potentially set up a concrete yearly calendar about events so it doesn't get so clustered and confused like it is now.

Also, something I really think this community should get rid of is the "first come, first serve" basis for major events. It almost feels like whenever a major event like PSL ends, people are instantly rushing in with a new event after it just so that other people won't manage to host their events in time. I think a proper community wide discussion thread would help out here massively. Tell me what you think.

Gonna wait for bit more opinions about it, but  I'm not against it, and have been thinking about a similar outcome for a while. We will most likely make a pinned thread for general discussions about unofficial, with the explained the possibility of staff aid.

And I mean aid, not staff take-over. We will still not get involved in choosing hosts etc, just overseeing if everything is fine and if our help is needed in threads etc. World cup organisation showed we can cowork nicely.

Nothing against many events running at once, but even from the moderator's perspective it's a mess when many people are involved in a few events but they report stuff to be closed without being specific or just pointing out any drama to be checked.

In the thread, we can always edit the first post to include a list of ongoing events, or potentially ask players to engage in the calendar. All up for debate of so I'm curious about more opinions. 

59 minutes ago, Bearminator said:

Gonna wait for bit more opinions about it, but  I'm not against it, and have been thinking about a similar outcome for a while. We will most likely make a pinned thread for general discussions about unofficial, with the explained the possibility of staff aid.

And I mean aid, not staff take-over. We will still not get involved in choosing hosts etc, just overseeing if everything is fine and if our help is needed in threads etc. World cup organisation showed we can cowork nicely.

Nothing against many events running at once, but even from the moderator's perspective it's a mess when many people are involved in a few events but they report stuff to be closed without being specific or just pointing out any drama to be checked.

In the thread, we can always edit the first post to include a list of ongoing events, or potentially ask players to engage in the calendar. All up for debate of so I'm curious about more opinions. 

If that's gonna be a thing eventually, can we have a rework of the subforum to separate PVE player-hosted events from PVP ? Or include them in a way where they are separated and deserve their share of visibility instead of just a mess of a section. I feel like having "Unofficial Tournaments" be only for... unofficial tournaments is already a step-up in organization. 

35 minutes ago, Poufilou said:

If that's gonna be a thing eventually, can we have a rework of the subforum to separate PVE player-hosted events from PVP ? Or include them in a way where they are separated and deserve their share of visibility instead of just a mess of a section. I feel like having "Unofficial Tournaments" be only for... unofficial tournaments is already a step-up in organization. 

Not sure. We can always enforce some kind of tags to be used, like [Tournament] [Series] [PSL] etc. It works for official tournaments so might work for it as well

Okay, i want to give my idea of event, i on thread that i created to discuss, have 0 replies(actually are on 4th page of general discussion iirc, i don't put here because i want to discuss a idea for a unnoficial event, not host him.)

As everyone knows (If you don't know, check the "Competition Alley" subforum, more specifically in "Unnoficial Tours", for more details), the 5th Edition of the World Cup is in the preparation phase. It is a community event that takes place until then annually. However, the competition loses a little of its value because it takes place in this shorter period of time, and there is also not all the anxiety during the wait for the World Cup, after all we know that next year there will be more. So, to add to that, I have an unofficial event proposal that would share the calendar with the World Cup: The PokéMMO Olympic Games.

Note: I don't plan to host the event, but I'm giving the idea to anyone who can.

What would the PokéMMO Olympics be?

It would be a biennial event that would alternate with the World Cup. One year yes, other not, there would be held one edition of World Cup, and in the years without the World Cup, there would be the Olympic Games. The event would be a sequence of PvP and PvE events, in unique formats created by the community. Each event would have an individual prize for the winner, and would guarantee a Medal. In the end, the country that won the most medals would win an additional award, with the first place medals having greater weight.

What could be the events?
This is my starting Idea and can be editted on future. Quick Reminder: all events will be realized twice(one on 06:00 UTC 0, other on 18:00 UTC 0) in order to avoid conflicts due to timezones and etc...

Single-Man Tours:
Over Used
Under Used
Never Used
Doubles
LC
Monotype
Untiered
VGC
1v1

Team Tournaments:
Teams:(5 tiers: Over Used/Under Used/Never Used/Doubles/Over Used or Little Cup)
Countrys:(5 tiers: Over Used/Under Used/Never Used/Doubles/Over Used or Little Cup)
Note: When the team are registered the captain will declare if team/country are LC compatible. If, and only if, two teams that are LC compatible face each other, the 5th tier will be LC. Otherwise, will be OU.

PvE events:
Solo Scavanger Hunt
Team Scavanger Hunt
Catching Event
H1P1 Battle Royale

The prize could be what? (These are just examples, may be changed by future hosts) : 
4% of prize pool per event, being:
50% for the winner
25% for 2nd place
15% for 3rd Place
7% for 4th place
3% for the tournament's Fair-play Attitude.

At the end, distributed among the medalists of the winning country:
40%. How would it be distributed?
50% for gold medalists
30% for silver medalists
20% for bronze medalists
The distribution would be proportional to the number of medals that each player obtain. More medals,more prize that will be earned.

Tours Rules Explanation:

Spoiler

Over Used, Under Used, Never Used and Doubles:

Spoiler

This tournaments will be held with the official clasules and Banlist. 
Spots avaliable: 32. Limit of players per country: 4

Little Cup:

Spoiler

This tournament will be held with the LC Club official Rules. I will wait they update the banlist(They need to Update due to HA release and LA moveset changes.)
Spots avaliable: 16. Limit of players per country: 2

Untiered, 1v1 and Monotype:

Spoiler

Rules of both, basically copypasted from PCL Rules for this tiers.

1103013712_monnotypelogo.png.1f1a1e090b2a4936a26719b2bcb5d1cc.png

Play Restrictions : 

All standard Official tier clauses apply, plus:

Same Type Clause: All Pokémon in a team must share a type.

Banned Items:

Bright Powder

Damp Rock

Focus Band

King's Rock

Lax Incense

Quick Claw

image.png.5d26ba1dad33329f1ee11d049e03dfaa.png

Play Restrictions : 

Players cannot use Pokémon from the Uber tier, OU, BL1(UUBL), UU, BL2(NUBL), NU

All standard Official tier clauses apply

1v1-banner-png.159591

Banlist:

Banned  Items: Focus Sash

Banned  Moves: Perish Song

Clauses:
Accuracy Moves Clause: A Pokémon may not have the moves Flash, Kinesis, Leaf Tornado, Mirror Shot, Mud Bomb, Mud-Slap, Muddy Water, Night Daze, Octazooka, Sand Attack, or Smokescreen in its moveset.
Evasion Moves Clause: A Pokémon may not have either Double Team or Minimize in its moveset.
OHKO Clause: A Pokémon may not have the moves Fissure, Guillotine, Horn Drill, or Sheer Cold in its moveset.
Species Clause: A player cannot have two Pokémon with the same Pokédex number on a team.
Swagger Clause: Players cannot use the move Swagger.

Timer Clause: No timer is needed

Level Shift must be 50.

VGC:

Spoiler

image.png.b45c4e2cff7711413ac964b4554c1bae.png

This format is played as a Doubles Battle it only allows you to select 4 out of your 6 Pokémon to send into battle. All games will be played in best out of 3 series with the 6 pokemon you brought. Since Pokemmo don't support VGC you need a Host/Supervisor to play this format. Both players will be asked to link 6 pokemons to the host. When both players linked the 6 pokemon the host will announce the 6 public. The players then have 90 seconds to think what 4 mons they will bring to the battle. (important players can't change sets during the set you will play with the moveset + evs you showed to the Host/Supervisor.)

Rules:

Uniqueness Clasule: You cannot have two mons with the same pokedex number on a team. Additionaly, you cannot have two mons holding the same item

In order to make this format more distinct from doubles and more fun, with unique mons and strategys, we will put a restrict list on this tour. Players can use mons from Restrict List, but players aren't allowed to have more than 2 mons that are on restrict list, on their team. The original restrict list put legendarys, but on MMO we don't play with legendarys, so the list is from the 16 more used on DoctorPBC's VGC League:
Restrict List:

- Salamence
- Metagross
- Milotic
- Hitmontop
- Serperior
- Porygon2
- Blastoise
- Tyranitar
- Torkoal
- Venusaur
- Hariyama
- Whimsicott
- Chandelure
- Scizor
- Gigalith
- Mamoswine

Teams tournaments:

Spoiler

Teams and Contry

Registrations Rules :

• The maximum number of team registered is 16. with two teams limit per country. If exceed one of limits they will be added on the reserve list and will be called in case a registered team is unable to attend. 
  • On country team tournament, 8 countrys can play. Countrys can register a reserve team but they will be put on last spot of reserve list.
  • Only registered players are allowed to play.
  • Registration must include all information below :

Team Name :
Team Tag :
Registered Players :
Team Captain :

Team are LC Compatible?:(Answer with only Yes or No)
(Note : The Team Captain is who hosts and refs will be contacting if need to relay information to your team.)

• Editing players in is allowed, up to an hour before tournament.
  • If a player was registered for a team, but his team didn't make it to the final 16 teams, he can't play for another team.
  • Adding/changing player right before tournament is possible by in-game/forum notification to host, under above conditions. Please inform the host of the change - if it will happen after that deadline.
  • Entry must be made by a member of the team.
  • Entry that was originally including one team, but then edited to another one, will not be counted at all. If a player who made an entry would change teams, he can't use his spot for a new team.
  • Teams aren't allowed to enter with a name of a country, on Team Tournament. In order to they enter, they need to provide a different name. This don't happen on Country Team Tournament. Example: A team with the name "China" need to put this on team name: "Team Name : <New Name>(China)" , replacing "<New Name>" with the name selected.
  • Team must have at least 3 players ready to fight. Failing to meet this requirement, will result in disqualification, and 1st reserve team will take place

Additionnal note : If a country already hit their team limit, any new team for this country will be put on reserve list

Maximum number of player per Team : 10

Tiers:
 Over Used/Under Used/Never Used/Doubles/Over Used or Little Cup
Note: When the team are registered the captain will declare if team/country are LC compatible. If, and only if, two teams that are LC compatible face each other, the 5th tier will be LC. Otherwise, will be OU.

Catching Events:

Spoiler

Rules

The 1st-8rd places will be sorted by high to low.

You can only submit one entry

Players can enter the event with only one account/character

All Pokémon must be caught within the event time and at the event location

All Pokémon must remain unchanged (untrained/unevolved...)

Evolved or unevolved forms of the listed Pokémon will not be accepted as a valid entry

You must be the OT of the Pokémon

You must link your entry to any host/supervisor via whisper to submit it

In the event of a tie, the winner will be determined by earliest catch time

Format:

30 minutes from catching, then 10 minutes to link to Host/supervisor. After this, 15 minutes of break, until second stage start, with the time avaliable being the same from first stage. The winners will be announced on event post on Forums.
32 players can enter, with a cap of 4 players per country. They will be splited on 4 groups of 8, with 2 advancing to second stage. On first group stage, players from same country will not be drawed on same groups.

On second stage, the 8 players will be put on one group and the rules to determine positions kept the same. People that advanced on first place of their group on previous stage, enter on this stage with a +3 bonus score.

Solo & Team Scavanger Hunt

Spoiler

Solo Scavanger Hunt:

Format:

Teams will need to rush to find the mons. 30 Minutes, and if players didn't catched all mons, they will be sorted by who catched more. The next criteria will be team that showed the last mon earlier. After this, 15 minutes of break, until second stage start, with the time avaliable being the same from first stage. The winners will be announced on event post on Forums.
32 players can enter, with a cap of 4 players per country. They will be splited on 4 groups of 8, with 2 advancing to second stage. On first group stage, players from same country will not be drawed on same groups.

On second stage, the 8 players will be put on one group and the rules to determine positions kept the same. People that advanced on first place of their group on previous stage, enter on this stage with a +3 bonus score.

Rules

• The host will announce the list of the Pokémon you will have to catch in English global chat at the start of the event
  • You need to catch every Pokémon listed, with any property listed (eg specific nature, specific IV, specific catch location, etc.)
  • The winners, from 1st place to 4th place, will be the first players to link in whispers the 6 Pokémon to the event host
  • You must link your entry to the event host via whisper to submit it.
  • Positions from 1st to 4th place will be determined by the order in which the host receives whispers
  • Only Pokémon caught after the start of the event will be accepted a valid entries
  • You must be the OT of all the Pokémon submitted
  • Players can enter the event with only one account/character.
  • All Pokémon must remain unchanged (untrained, unevolved, etc.)
  • Evolved or unevolved forms of the listed Pokémon will not be accepted as a valid entry
  • Any Pokémon which doesn't meet the requirements listed (eg specific nature, specific IV, specific catch location, etc.) won't be accepted as a valid entry. 

Team Scavanger Hunt

Participating teams:

Maximum of 8 teams, limit of 1 per country. Teams registered first will be prioritized. All players from team must be of same country. Reservers are unlimited

Explanation:

Players will team up in teams of 4 in order to hunt specific pokemon (with specified natures). 

There will be 20 pokemon to find, and it's up to the players to divide the tasks among their teammates.

The first team to find all 20 pokemon which suit the criteria will obtain the prize.

Players should have access to all areas in game in order to fully participate.

Rules:

• Players will team up into groups of 4, and register their participants on registration day, along with a team name. Reserves are recommended. There will be a rolecall at the beginning of the event.
  • Players must present Pokemon with their OT, or the OT of a registered teammate and with the specified nature, as well as within the specified level range.
  • Players must link their findings in normal chat in front of the appropriate staff member. Each Station will have five pokemon, and they must be all presented in 2 messages at maximum(sometimes you can't link five mons in a row.).
  • Pokemon must be presented to the correct supervisor/host only
  • Times are recorded by the time of presentation, and not catch times on the Pokemon.
  • The Pokemon must have no additional levels past their 'met date' as well as no EVs or EXP gained.
  • Pokemon must be caught in the wild and not bred or purchased.
  • All supervisors/host will be on Channel 4.
  • All Pokémon must be caught within the event time.
  • After 30 minutes, all teams will be called and need to return to station to link as quick as possible. teams will be sorted by who linked more mons that fulfill the requirments, if not enough teams complete the task.

H1P1 Battle Royale

Spoiler

TBA

Notes:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Little Cup:

Spoiler

This tournament will be held with the LC Club official Rules. I will wait they update the banlist(They need to Update due to HA release and LA moveset changes.)

Spoiler

Play Restrictions : 

Banned Items:

Bright Powder

Damp Rock

Focus Band

King's Rock

Lax Incense

Quick Claw

Play Restrictions : 

1v1-banner-png.159591

Banlist:

Clauses:
Accuracy Moves Clause: A Pokémon may not have the moves Flash, Kinesis, Leaf Tornado, Mirror Shot, Mud Bomb, Mud-Slap, Muddy Water, Night Daze, Octazooka, Sand Attack, or Smokescreen in its moveset.
Evasion Moves Clause: A Pokémon may not have either Double Team or Minimize in its moveset.
OHKO Clause: A Pokémon may not have the moves Fissure, Guillotine, Horn Drill, or Sheer Cold in its moveset.
Species Clause: A player cannot have two Pokémon with the same Pokédex number on a team.

Level Shift must be 50.

VGC:

Spoiler

This format is played as a Doubles Battle it only allows you to select 4 out of your 6 Pokémon to send into battle. All games will be played in best out of 3 series with the 6 pokemon you brought. Since Pokemmo don't support VGC you need a Host/Supervisor to play this format. Both players will be asked to link 6 pokemons to the host. When both players linked the 6 pokemon the host will announce the 6 public. The players then have 90 seconds to think what 4 mons they will bring to the battle. (important players can't change sets during the set you will play with the moveset + evs you showed to the Host/Supervisor.)

Rules:

Uniqueness Clasule: You cannot have two mons with the same pokedex number on a team. Additionaly, you cannot have two mons holding the same item

In order to make this format more distinct from doubles and more fun, with unique mons and strategys, we will put a restrict list on this tour. Players can use mons from Restrict List, but players aren't allowed to have more than 2 mons that are on restrict list, on their team. The original restrict list put legendarys, but on MMO we don't play with legendarys, so the list is from the 16 more used on DoctorPBC's VGC League:
Restrict List:

- Salamence
- Metagross
- Milotic
- Hitmontop
- Serperior
- Porygon2
- Blastoise
- Tyranitar
- Torkoal
- Venusaur
- Hariyama
- Whimsicott
- Chandelure
- Scizor
- Gigalith
- Mamoswine

Teams tournaments:

Spoiler

Teams and Contry

Registrations Rules :

• The maximum number of team registered is 16. with two teams limit per country. If exceed one of limits they will be added on the reserve list and will be called in case a registered team is unable to attend. 
  • On country team tournament, 8 countrys can play. Countrys can register a reserve team but they will be put on last spot of reserve list.

Team Name :
Team Tag :
Registered Players :
Team Captain :

(Note : The Team Captain is who hosts and refs will be contacting if need to relay information to your team.)

• If a player was registered for a team, but his team didn't make it to the final 16 teams, he can't play for another team.
  • Adding/changing player right before tournament is possible by in-game/forum notification to host, under above conditions. Please inform the host of the change - if it will happen after that deadline.
  • Entry that was originally including one team, but then edited to another one, will not be counted at all. If a player who made an entry would change teams, he can't use his spot for a new team.
  • Teams aren't allowed to enter with a name of a country, on Team Tournament. In order to they enter, they need to provide a different name. This don't happen on Country Team Tournament. Example: A team with the name "China" need to put this on team name: "Team Name : <New Name>(China)" , replacing "<New Name>" with the name selected.
  • Team must have at least 3 players ready to fight. Failing to meet this requirement, will result in disqualification, and 1st reserve team will take place

Additionnal note : If a country already hit their team limit, any new team for this country will be put on reserve list

Tiers:

Catching Events:

Spoiler

Rules

Evolved or unevolved forms of the listed Pokémon will not be accepted as a valid entry

Format:

30 minutes from catching, then 10 minutes to link to Host/supervisor. After this, 15 minutes of break, until second stage start, with the time avaliable being the same from first stage. The winners will be announced on event post on Forums.

Spoiler

Solo Scavanger Hunt:

Format:

Teams will need to rush to find the mons. 30 Minutes, and if players didn't catched all mons, they will be sorted by who catched more. The next criteria will be team that showed the last mon earlier. After this, 15 minutes of break, until second stage start, with the time avaliable being the same from first stage. The winners will be announced on event post on Forums.

Rules

• The host will announce the list of the Pokémon you will have to catch in English global chat at the start of the event
  • You need to catch every Pokémon listed, with any property listed (eg specific nature, specific IV, specific catch location, etc.)
  • The winners, from 1st place to 4th place, will be the first players to link in whispers the 6 Pokémon to the event host
  • Positions from 1st to 4th place will be determined by the order in which the host receives whispers
  • Only Pokémon caught after the start of the event will be accepted a valid entries
  • Evolved or unevolved forms of the listed Pokémon will not be accepted as a valid entry
  • Any Pokémon which doesn't meet the requirements listed (eg specific nature, specific IV, specific catch location, etc.) won't be accepted as a valid entry. 

Team Scavanger Hunt

Participating teams:

Maximum of 8 teams, limit of 1 per country. Teams registered first will be prioritized. All players from team must be of same country. Reservers are unlimited

Explanation:

Players will team up in teams of 4 in order to hunt specific pokemon (with specified natures). 

There will be 20 pokemon to find, and it's up to the players to divide the tasks among their teammates.

The first team to find all 20 pokemon which suit the criteria will obtain the prize.

Rules:

• Players will team up into groups of 4, and register their participants on registration day, along with a team name. Reserves are recommended. There will be a rolecall at the beginning of the event.
  • Players must present Pokemon with their OT, or the OT of a registered teammate and with the specified nature, as well as within the specified level range.
  • Players must link their findings in normal chat in front of the appropriate staff member. Each Station will have five pokemon, and they must be all presented in 2 messages at maximum(sometimes you can't link five mons in a row.).
  • Times are recorded by the time of presentation, and not catch times on the Pokemon.
  • The Pokemon must have no additional levels past their 'met date' as well as no EVs or EXP gained.
  • After 30 minutes, all teams will be called and need to return to station to link as quick as possible. teams will be sorted by who linked more mons that fulfill the requirments, if not enough teams complete the task.

H1P1 Battle Royale

Spoiler

TBA

Edited by caioxlive13
3 hours ago, Poufilou said:

I've felt this for a long time.

Feels very weird putting tournaments/events that aren't PvP in this subsection but there's not really any good place to put them.

On 8/5/2022 at 12:54 AM, OrangeManiac said:

Don't get me wrong, seeing all these unofficial tournaments hosted by the community is great. Only issue is that this is getting way too disorganized now. It's not great to have plethora of major events going at once - it hinders the experience for both the events going on previously and also the new ones. The problem is that there is no organization between different tournament hosts and people just release long tournament series without really discussing until the main thread of the event is released. That's why I'm suggesting we should open (preferably pinned thread) to unofficial tournaments where people can share their ideas of a tournament they wanna host and community members can give feedback whether they are willing to participate in it and when would be a good time to start the tournament series. Hosts for different events could also potentially set up a concrete yearly calendar about events so it doesn't get so clustered and confused like it is now.

Also, something I really think this community should get rid of is the "first come, first serve" basis for major events. It almost feels like whenever a major event like PSL ends, people are instantly rushing in with a new event after it just so that other people won't manage to host their events in time. I think a proper community wide discussion thread would help out here massively. Tell me what you think.

Is a good idea indeed but remember something.

Usually when there is a discussion about hosting any kind of events everything ends up on shit fest sadly. The issue is that many people join that discussion for continue with their personal brief with someone who is part of that and insult them without arguments and after that everything's begin to be a circus. There is no feedback's on discuss for host a new event usually there is always insults and intolerance with ideas that many players of the community share on the post.

Do not get me wrong. I like the idea and It can be great but a wide discussion will end up on a shit fest with lot of forums accounts banned.

Hopefully we can do that wide discussion.

Pd: Following what do I said. Read a comment above saying random ass to someone who attempt to host an event. That's what I mean

Edited by Xigbar
15 hours ago, Xigbar said:

Usually when there is a discussion about hosting any kind of events everything ends up on shit fest sadly. The issue is that many people join that discussion for continue with their personal brief with someone who is part of that and insult them without arguments and after that everything's begin to be a circus. There is no feedback's on discuss for host a new event usually there is always insults and intolerance with ideas that many players of the community share on the post.

Where is this based on? When i asked on opinions for pcl i only got feedback from the community I remember gb making a discussion thread with also good feedback. If they shit on your post your most likely you doing something wrong.

Edited by Quinn010
23 hours ago, Bearminator said:

Is it possible to make a rule from staff to only have 3 forums team tournaments at the same? And make a queue system to host a event. 

33 minutes ago, Quinn010 said:

Is it possible to make a rule from staff to only have 3 forums team tournaments at the same? And make a queue system to host a event. 

Possible- maybe, but do we really need it? It creates additional issues, dunno how I feel about it.

57 minutes ago, Quinn010 said:

I don't think I necessarily support a rule. Anyone should be able to host events whenever they want. However, if someone is going against the general consensus of the community whether their event should be even organized right now then they shouldn't expect a high amount of community participation and also not to expect their event to be considered all that legitimate by the broader competitive community. But anyone can and should be allowed to host their casual event whenever they want, I don't think we can really object to that.

36 minutes ago, OrangeManiac said:

I don't think I necessarily support a rule. Anyone should be able to host events whenever they want. However, if someone is going against the general consensus of the community whether their event should be even organized right now then they shouldn't expect a high amount of community participation and also not to expect their event to be considered all that legitimate by the broader competitive community. But anyone can and should be allowed to host their casual event whenever they want, I don't think we can really object to that.

Agreed, no staff-enforced rule is needed, anyone should be able to host regular events whenever they want.

If it's a one time tournament or event it has virtually no impact, the problem comes from long-form events e.g. PSL.

The current problem is one brought on by a lack of common sense, we can't have half a dozen long-form events that both require a significant portion of the community being involved in them and ingame prep time.

That has a bunch of repercussions, none of which are positive: forces people to dodge events they otherwise might have enjoyed, lessens the hype significantly for all the events, breeds a culture of "first come first served" when it comes to hosting (which we've seen with world cup v. psl teams).

As for a solution, a revamp of the unofficial tournaments section would be a good place to start. Where moderators could prove useful would be in keeping a pinned & locked thread updated with current & future events (fairly certain the current calendar only includes officials & CN community events? Hard to tell if it's just not being updated with unofficials).

I'm not sure about what to do with people jumping on an event finishing to host the one they had been planning on hosting, I guess communication between hosts & the community at large is key there. Seeing a general thread popping up out of nowhere feels wrong. When PSL happens and it's hosted properly you know who is hosting it and when it starts, I feel that's a model that has worked and see no reason to deviate from it.

Even though I'm relatively new in the community I've been hosting events for a long time and one of the things that brought me to PokeMMO was the existence of the World Cup and PSL type events. I think that community organized tournaments is a great idea and the best way to keep a community alive and kicking aside from the "Official" tournaments organized by staff and automated tournaments.

I've talked about this issue of coordination between hosts with many of you here and it was one of my main concerns before even launching the World Cup. I think there should be a calendar with 2 main events "set in stone" PSL and WC, have them every year around the same time, same format type (always some space for innovation but type of tournament format not talking about tiers or anything) so that people can prepare ahead, plan ahead.

For example....last year when I started playing my whole goal was...play in the World Cup next year, for 1 year I grinded and was fully focused on getting ready to play the WC this year...After a year of training...where is the WC? I started asking around...when is the WC coming? Who is hosting the WC? No one was talking about it...WC is a  meme tournament...no one cares about the WC...then I saw gasai's post about it... WC vs PSL Teams ...  and that is when I decided to start digging around talking to people and when I decided to host the WC after talking to previous WC hosts and with gasai and then RDL...

So before even announcing the WC I checked that K9 event would be finished before that, I thought that Quinn's event would as well even though I should have made sure and talked to him before hand and already apologized to him for it, clearly my bad but again this would be avoided if there was a calendar I could consult or if there was a discord/forum of some sort where I could debate it with the other hosts or some sort of host council team like it was mentioned previously.

Then came the VGC season 0 but since it's a smaller event and there is a space bettwen WC sign ups and WC start it won't really interfere except perhaps in terms of donation gathering. Multiple tournaments always means less donations available to go around.

Now with this whole TCL (weird new name variance...again a deviation from what already exists) coming in at the same time of the WC it just seems a bit disorganized and clearly not working towards the best interests of the community but it is what it is...for now...but like Orange said...it clearly puts the issue of tournament coordination in the spot light. 

Also important, and in order to bring more professionalism and credibility to the tournaments, we should have a set of rules that could be "set in stone" for the tournament hosts to work with...host participation for example is a hot topic! Can the hosts participate in their own events? This was also one of the points I heard from other people I talked to and something I discussed with RDL as can be seen below.

As the current host of the World Cup I'm looking to set things up for the next world cup host and i'm relying heavily on the previous WC hosts having them all in as my council. I'm very grateful for all their feedback and experience and would never even think of doing this without their support.

We should be able to create a template for new tournaments hosts to base their templates on...it will make life easier for the hosts and also for the community. 

On 8/5/2022 at 5:40 PM, Quinn010 said:

Something a bit off topic but nice is that you can punish players the leave tournaments.

This suggestion from Quinn is also something I believe would be a benefit of having a centralized host council or whatever we want to call it. If people don't respect the hosts because they don't care about the tournament they can just troll it for the shits and giggles while creating a bad environment for the ones that really want to enjoy the event.

For the WC i've created a WC Master file with all of the information from previous WC's for organization purposes and I'll pass that along to the next World Cup host to help him along. 

Again, this could be done for major tournaments and have the smaller/new type tournaments be worked around them in the calendar. 

This way we give the community both stable well established tournaments and fresher new types/format tournaments a chance to pop up.

image.thumb.png.5fe2cebe3506b10970a14941dfc26578.png 

image.thumb.png.558d3fa5fb62077ec3c993fd9c8f982f.png

image.thumb.png.9c09be7471f3ee5d8781b84ad19cb424.pngimage.thumb.png.3a45417ccab71b5b1b98bbb8a1eff615.pngimage.thumb.png.5fe2cebe3506b10970a14941dfc26578.pngimage.thumb.png.ce50ec6c979b9d4b2c24795459ba9246.png

I think the events now are fully disorganizated. A fixed callendar would be a great idea. Like:

December - March = PSL and PCL hosting at same time, with players that entered on one tour not signing up on other. 
April - July = Free window, can make PSL Teams here and a 4fun tour like PCG
August - November = World Cup or Olympic Games, depending on year.

This should be the fixed cycle and fixed to everyone know. If a player want to host a event they can just check the fixed calendar and pick one of free windows to host.

Note for QuinnW: I suggested on general thread of challenge league, at the start of organization, to on future editions become a "second division of PSL", so this is the reason to put both on same window.

Edited by caioxlive13
9 hours ago, Unnefable said:

Even though I'm relatively new in the community I've been hosting events for a long time and one of the things that brought me to PokeMMO was the existence of the World Cup and PSL type events. I think that community organized tournaments is a great idea and the best way to keep a community alive and kicking aside from the "Official" tournaments organized by staff and automated tournaments.

I've talked about this issue of coordination between hosts with many of you here and it was one of my main concerns before even launching the World Cup. I think there should be a calendar with 2 main events "set in stone" PSL and WC, have them every year around the same time, same format type (always some space for innovation but type of tournament format not talking about tiers or anything) so that people can prepare ahead, plan ahead.

For example....last year when I started playing my whole goal was...play in the World Cup next year, for 1 year I grinded and was fully focused on getting ready to play the WC this year...After a year of training...where is the WC? I started asking around...when is the WC coming? Who is hosting the WC? No one was talking about it...WC is a  meme tournament...no one cares about the WC...then I saw gasai's post about it... WC vs PSL Teams ...  and that is when I decided to start digging around talking to people and when I decided to host the WC after talking to previous WC hosts and with gasai and then RDL...

So before even announcing the WC I checked that K9 event would be finished before that, I thought that Quinn's event would as well even though I should have made sure and talked to him before hand and already apologized to him for it, clearly my bad but again this would be avoided if there was a calendar I could consult or if there was a discord/forum of some sort where I could debate it with the other hosts or some sort of host council team like it was mentioned previously.

Then came the VGC season 0 but since it's a smaller event and there is a space bettwen WC sign ups and WC start it won't really interfere except perhaps in terms of donation gathering. Multiple tournaments always means less donations available to go around.

Now with this whole TCL (weird new name variance...again a deviation from what already exists) coming in at the same time of the WC it just seems a bit disorganized and clearly not working towards the best interests of the community but it is what it is...for now...but like Orange said...it clearly puts the issue of tournament coordination in the spot light. 

Also important, and in order to bring more professionalism and credibility to the tournaments, we should have a set of rules that could be "set in stone" for the tournament hosts to work with...host participation for example is a hot topic! Can the hosts participate in their own events? This was also one of the points I heard from other people I talked to and something I discussed with RDL as can be seen below.

As the current host of the World Cup I'm looking to set things up for the next world cup host and i'm relying heavily on the previous WC hosts having them all in as my council. I'm very grateful for all their feedback and experience and would never even think of doing this without their support.

We should be able to create a template for new tournaments hosts to base their templates on...it will make life easier for the hosts and also for the community. 

This suggestion from Quinn is also something I believe would be a benefit of having a centralized host council or whatever we want to call it. If people don't respect the hosts because they don't care about the tournament they can just troll it for the shits and giggles while creating a bad environment for the ones that really want to enjoy the event.

For the WC i've created a WC Master file with all of the information from previous WC's for organization purposes and I'll pass that along to the next World Cup host to help him along. 

Again, this could be done for major tournaments and have the smaller/new type tournaments be worked around them in the calendar. 

This way we give the community both stable well established tournaments and fresher new types/format tournaments a chance to pop up.

I need to Agree on Unnefable's point. I don't compete on many tours, to be honest my participation on PCL is my first time on a Team tournament, and probablly i will not be selected on World Cup even if i enter. But for players that play many tours this massive amount of events can get they tired. 

And it's not just for Players that it gets pulled. We, who host events, have to schedule behind the scenes and have communication to make everything run smoothly. In the event of unforeseen circumstances, good communication can help reach a favorable solution for both sides. For example, Clorokina and I were hosting a PokéMMO event on Showdown, using the QuinnW server. But he warned, I think a week before the event starts, that he would take a vacation and wouldn't be available to activate the server for 3 weeks. In order not to harm him, and also knowing that doing it in the MMO itself would be unfeasible because many players don't have time to Grind money and build teams, we decided to postpone the tournament and we're waiting for QuinnW to return. 

Unnefable went through an unforeseen situation as well. Planning to host the World Cup, he saw that the windows to host at the time of the announcement were few, but the communication prevailed again. The Kaynine event was no longer going to interfere with the World Cup schedule. Talking to QuinnW, he pushed the PCL to take place a little earlier and not interfere with the World Cup. Unfortunately, when there is no communication, it complicates. As was the case with TCL. The hosts didn't even care about the amount of events and just stuck the TCL in the middle. Result: The TCL will overlap with World Cup. If teams plan to boycott the tournament, even if I don't play I will show support. After all, what the TCL Hosts should have done was communicate with whoever was organizing large events (World Cup, PGC and PCL) to see when it would be good to host the event. In this case, if there were no unforeseen events, a good window would be in November after all the PSL 15 has not yet been confirmed, and even then it could be carried out after the TCL, if they communicated with Gbwead (Who hosted the PSL 14 and even if he didn't were the PSL 15 Host, he would know who it was.)

Edit: the boycott on TCL already started. A team, i don't remember which team was, since the message of him was simply deleted, i don't know why, that if I record correctly, have a guarranted spot, simply reject the invite and make it public. 

Edited by caioxlive13
On 8/6/2022 at 8:22 AM, caioxlive13 said:

Okay, i want to give my idea of event, i on thread that i created to discuss, have 0 replies(actually are on 4th page of general discussion iirc, i don't put here because i want to discuss a idea for a unnoficial event, not host him.)

As everyone knows (If you don't know, check the "Competition Alley" subforum, more specifically in "Unnoficial Tours", for more details), the 5th Edition of the World Cup is in the preparation phase. It is a community event that takes place until then annually. However, the competition loses a little of its value because it takes place in this shorter period of time, and there is also not all the anxiety during the wait for the World Cup, after all we know that next year there will be more. So, to add to that, I have an unofficial event proposal that would share the calendar with the World Cup: The PokéMMO Olympic Games.

Note: I don't plan to host the event, but I'm giving the idea to anyone who can.

What would the PokéMMO Olympics be?

It would be a biennial event that would alternate with the World Cup. One year yes, other not, there would be held one edition of World Cup, and in the years without the World Cup, there would be the Olympic Games. The event would be a sequence of PvP and PvE events, in unique formats created by the community. Each event would have an individual prize for the winner, and would guarantee a Medal. In the end, the country that won the most medals would win an additional award, with the first place medals having greater weight.

What could be the events?
This is my starting Idea and can be editted on future. Quick Reminder: all events will be realized twice(one on 06:00 UTC 0, other on 18:00 UTC 0) in order to avoid conflicts due to timezones and etc...

Single-Man Tours:
Over Used
Under Used
Never Used
Doubles
LC
Monotype
Untiered
VGC
1v1

Team Tournaments:
Teams:(5 tiers: Over Used/Under Used/Never Used/Doubles/Over Used or Little Cup)
Countrys:(5 tiers: Over Used/Under Used/Never Used/Doubles/Over Used or Little Cup)

PvE events:
Solo Scavanger Hunt
Team Scavanger Hunt
Catching Event
H1P1 Battle Royale

The prize could be what? (These are just examples, may be changed by future hosts) : 
4% of prize pool per event, being:
50% for the winner
25% for 2nd place
15% for 3rd Place
7% for 4th place
3% for the tournament's Fair-play Attitude.

At the end, distributed among the medalists of the winning country:
40%. How would it be distributed?
50% for gold medalists
30% for silver medalists
20% for bronze medalists
The distribution would be proportional to the number of medals that each player obtain. More medals,more prize that will be earned.

Tours Rules Explanation:

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

Little Cup:

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

Play Restrictions : 

Banned Items:

Bright Powder

Damp Rock

Focus Band

King's Rock

Lax Incense

Quick Claw

Play Restrictions : 

1v1-banner-png.159591

Banlist:

Clauses:

Level Shift must be 50.

VGC:

Reveal hidden contents

Rules:

In order to make this format more distinct from doubles and more fun, with unique mons and strategys, we will put a restrict list on this tour. Players can use mons from Restrict List, but players aren't allowed to have more than 2 mons that are on restrict list, on their team. The original restrict list put legendarys, but on MMO we don't play with legendarys, so the list is from the 15 more used on Doubles metagaming:
Restrict List:

- Tyranitar

- Hitmontop

- Metagross

- Crobat

- Hydreigon

- Mienshao

- Togekiss

- Salamence

- Blastoise

- Scizor 

- Torkoal

- Rotom-Wash

- Chandelure

- Pelipper

- Garchomp

Teams tournaments:

Reveal hidden contents

Teams and Contry

Registrations Rules :

Team Name :
Team Tag :
Registered Players :
Team Captain :

• Team must have at least 5 players ready to fight. Failing to meet this requirement, will result in disqualification, and 1st reserve team will take place
  • In order to a Olympic Title don't value the same as a World Cup title, kepting him as a most important tour of Countrys, all teams cannot have more than half of his squad with players that play on previous world cup, except countrys that have less than 18 players avaliable and not called to their squad all players that have registered on their country

Tiers:

Catching Events:

Reveal hidden contents

Rules

Format:

Reveal hidden contents

Solo Scavanger Hunt:

Format:

Rules

Team Scavanger Hunt

Participating teams:

Explanation:

Rules:

H1P1 Battle Royale

Reveal hidden contents

TBA

Notes:

Reveal hidden contents

Reminder:
 - Similar to the Olympic Games organized by the International Olympic Committee, Taiwan, Hong Kong and Macau will be able to compete separately from China. Players for those territories, if want , will be allowed to play for China.
 - Russia, due to their conflict with Ukraine and following the decision taked on 2022 Winter Paralympic Games, will be banned from first edition, if happen on 2022 or 2023. Players from Russia, if want to play, will need to represent other country.

looking for someone to help host it on next year. I will contact Unnefable to see if are possible to him hold the WC6 and don't do it(or pass to other host do the event) on next year, if this event happen(The idea is both events alternate every year).

Edited by caioxlive13
On 8/5/2022 at 7:54 AM, OrangeManiac said:

Don't get me wrong, seeing all these unofficial tournaments hosted by the community is great. Only issue is that this is getting way too disorganized now. It's not great to have plethora of major events going at once - it hinders the experience for both the events going on previously and also the new ones. The problem is that there is no organization between different tournament hosts and people just release long tournament series without really discussing until the main thread of the event is released. That's why I'm suggesting we should open (preferably pinned thread) to unofficial tournaments where people can share their ideas of a tournament they wanna host and community members can give feedback whether they are willing to participate in it and when would be a good time to start the tournament series. Hosts for different events could also potentially set up a concrete yearly calendar about events so it doesn't get so clustered and confused like it is now.

maybe make a seperate discord where we can vote on upcoming events? and for people to step up to host events like PSL, WC etc so we can vote as well if they are valid hosts. bcs no offense, lately random people step up to host and the community kinda accept it

we can always use the PSL discord tbh where many of us are in.

Edited by PoseidonWrath
On 8/5/2022 at 12:54 AM, OrangeManiac said:

It is a good point of discussion this idea sounds good, besides, I like calendars 👁️ 👄👁️ 

On 8/7/2022 at 12:11 PM, Draekyn said:

Agreed, no staff-enforced rule is needed, anyone should be able to host regular events whenever they want.

Yah, us choosing who hosts and when makes it just official events, so nah.
The only way we step in is when blatant rulebreaking takes place in hosting or in specific situations. Pretty sure that hasn't happened in ages.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.