[Tool] enCounter - Lightweight Cross-platform Encounter Counter

Muddy's enCounter

screenshot.png.1f0c9459b357191b5d97a5c1bab37246.png

On GitHub: https://github.com/noglass/pokemmo-enCounter (more details, screenshots, and the code are available here!)

Translations:

Translations are handled internally by your OS using the built-in gettext system.

You can create new translations by using the locales/base.pot file as a template and create a new folder following the same structure as en and cn. Then compiling them with the msgfmt tool.

Please let me know if you add any new translations and I will add them to the repo!

To select a specific language, after running the program the first time and following the initial setup, you will find a file called encounters.py in the root folder.

Edit the line in this file langSet = None to langSet = ['cn'] for Chinese then save and restart the program!

About:

enCounter is an extremely lightweight and cross-platform Python3 script that creates a floating widget window that will count your encounters in PokeMMO!

enCounter works on Windows, Linux, and MacOS!

This script works a bit differently than the existing ones, the main difference is that this does not use any sort of screen capturing to count the encounters!

Instead, this lets you configure what key you have set to activate Sweet Scent and how many Pokemon are in each horde (you can set this to 1 for single shunting).

There are also manual increment, decrement, horde increment, horde decrement, and undo buttons (and keybinds) for fine tuning.

You can undo your last 50 actions. This includes resetting.

You can pause the counter, disabling all key and button input, except for unpause and the exit button.

Edited by Muddy
translations
1 hour ago, Thekingofglory said:

although we already have,this is a hard work

congrats!

Where? I, admittedly, didn't look very hard, but I wasn't aware of any encounter counters for Linux. Either way, this really didn't take much effort and gave me something to do 😜

I just fixed the bug where the tooltips will render below the widget on windows, and the appearance seems to be pretty accurate across platforms now! Except on Windows it is a little bit bigger than I had intended, but I don't think there is much I can do it about it 😞

This was mostly a Linux project in the first place, sorry Windows users, but today you come second 😅

13 hours ago, Thekingofglory said:

made a chinese version,and put it in GitHub,there are too many bugs in Windows,hope to fix it

if u done,I'd like translate that and send it in chinese forums

thx

Awesome! I'll work on a new version that can handle translations files on the fly 🙂

I should also be able translate it to Spanish myself. Thank you for your help and support!

3 hours ago, Muddy said:

I just fixed the bug where the tooltips will render below the widget on windows, and the appearance seems to be pretty accurate across platforms now! Except on Windows it is a little bit bigger than I had intended, but I don't think there is much I can do it about it 😞

This was mostly a Linux project in the first place, sorry Windows users, but today you come second 😅

Awesome! I'll work on a new version that can handle translations files on the fly 🙂

I should also be able translate it to Spanish myself. Thank you for your help and support!

it does work,ty

image.png

I was gone for a few days, but before I left, I finished the translation system and pushed it to the github repo, but didn't have time to update this thread, so be sure to check out the new version!

On 8/26/2022 at 9:36 PM, Thekingofglory said:

chinese doesnt work,Muddy

Screenshot_1.png.c1e714b71a227cb1fc4efb2142cef28b.png

Sorry about that, this has been fixed in current version on the github!

The newest version also includes the following changes:

Interactive configuration menu:

• Bind commands to keys and key combos, can even have the same command bound to multiple keys or multiple commands to the same keys!
  • Set horde count
  • Set language
  • Launching for the first time forces assignment of your Sweet Scent key

Revamps:

• Holding CTRL will change the + and - buttons to be +/-horde instead (ex: +5 and -5)
  • Tooltip texts have been rewritten for clarity
  • The whole window will now flash a color any time the count updates
  • All window colors are now configurable (manually) within the generated encounters.py file. It's pretty self explanatory if you open the file and see!

Fixes:

• Key combo checking is now strict (alt+esc+a will no longer activate alt+esc bindings)
  • Default language is now unset, removing the need for an English (en) translation spec
  • Removed 'Horde Increment' command, since 'Sweet Scent' is the same thing

Todo:

• The Chinese translation is currently awaiting updates, so it is missing most translations
  • Add theme customization to the configuration menu
  • Make the strict key combo check treat all keys as individuals if no modifiers are held, ie: F+G is treated as single F and single G. This will fix the slight annoyance of enCounter not registering a sweet scent activation when accidentally pressing your sweet scent key (F) and the key next to it (G) at the same time, even though the game does.

Edited by Muddy
  • 5 months later...

Would you happen to know if this would work with a steam deck? I know exactly 0 about linux & python 😅. I play soley on deck and am looking for a counter for hunting 

With enough fiddling I got it working in gaming mode ❤️

Edited by Zackhery
  • 1 month later...
On 2/4/2023 at 1:25 PM, Zackhery said:

Would you happen to know if this would work with a steam deck? I know exactly 0 about linux & python 😅. I play soley on deck and am looking for a counter for hunting 

that's awesome! in theory as long as you can install python3, tkinter, and pynput it should just work, I'm glad you got it working 😃

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 2/4/2023 at 3:25 PM, Zackhery said:

any chance you could help me set it up on steam deck?

• 3 months later...