PokeMMO on SteamOS / Steam Deck

There is now a PokeMMO flatpak available at https://flathub.org/apps/com.pokemmo.PokeMMO

You can search for it and download inside the Discover app that comes with the Steam Deck. It's probably better (at least more painless) to run that version instead of doing it my method. Do note however that the flatpak is not created by the official PokeMMO developers. It's made by community members

Getting PokeMMO is pretty quick and painless and I'll tell you how!

(This needs to be done in desktop mode)

Step 1. Download the PokeMMO Linux client listed under Other Distributions at https://pokemmo.com/downloads/linux/ (Direct download here)

Step 2. Download JDK 17 for 64 bit Linux. It can be downloaded at https://download.oracle.com/java/17/archive/jdk-17.0.9_linux-x64_bin.tar.gz

Step 3. Unpack the PokeMMO-Client.zip file. You should now have a folder called PokeMMO.

Step 4. Unpack the jdk-17_linux-x64_bin.tar.gz file in to your PokeMMO folder.

Step 5. Inside the PokeMMO folder there should now exist a folder called jdk-17.0.*.* (number may change depending on version). Rename that folder to java.

(Renaming to java optional but recommended for the sake of simplicity. If you do not rename the folder or name it something else then you also need to change the path for JAVA_HOME)

This is what you PokeMMO folder should look like if you renamed the jdk-17.0.*.* folder to java

Spoiler

Screenshot_20240129_183045.png

Step 6. Right-click PokeMMO.sh in side the PokeMMO folder and click Open with Kate (or any other text editor)

Step 7. Above the first line of code add these two lines

export JAVA_HOME=./java
export PATH=$PATH:$JAVA_HOME/bin

Your PokeMMO.sh file should now look like this

#!/bin/sh

# PokeMMO requires that the working directory be that of all game files (PokeMMO.exe / data / roms / etc.)
# `cd` to this directory prior to executing this script, or include your `cd` below.
# PokeMMO currently requires JDK 11, but should be compatible with the latest JDK LTS releases (Java 11 / Java 17).
# Consult your distro's documentation for how to install openjdk 11 or openjdk 17.

export JAVA_HOME=./java

java -Xmx384M -Dfile.encoding="UTF-8" -cp PokeMMO.exe com.pokeemu.client.Client

Step 8. Save the PokeMMO.sh file, add your roms to the roms folder and you're ready to play!

Make sure PokeMMO.sh is set as executable! You can do it in terminal by typing

chmod +x /path/to/pokemmo.sh

or right clicking PokeMMO.sh in file manager, go to Properties, then Permissions and make sure Is Executable is checked

Tip. Adding PokeMMO.sh to Steam as a non-steam game makes it easy to access from Gaming Mode.

Edited by MajoraAKC
clarified instructions
  • 5 weeks later...
On 8/23/2022 at 7:33 PM, MajoraAKC said:

Tip. Adding PokeMMO.sh to Steam as a non-steam game makes it easy to access from Gaming Mode.

How do I add a non Steam Game as SH? Could you tell me what i do wrong?  (see image) 

Sorry i dont know how to use linux... 

Thank you 

20221001_162304_resized.jpg

On 8/28/2022 at 1:03 PM, Ghackt said:

Everything works aside from trying to right click players to trade not sure if there is a fix method for that.

tried to on screen tap players to pull their menu but that doesn’t work

I have no idea why this could be. I wonder if it's a Linux issue or a Steam OS issue.

21 hours ago, GrauerStar said:

How do I add a non Steam Game as SH? Could you tell me what i do wrong?  (see image) 

Sorry i dont know how to use linux... 

Thank you 

20221001_162304_resized.jpg

Your shortcut should look like this

20221002_185538.thumb.jpg.7f02e7608564b6664268e23b58e23be7.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I created a layout on the steam community for PokeMMO controls and I have right click, etc. set up properly. I would recommend checking that out if anyone is having issues with the right click function still. Just press the steam button on the deck while you have PokeMMO running through steam as a non steam game > Controller Settings > Controller Settings> Current Layout > Community Layouts. Name is "Steam Deck PokeMMO: PokeMMO Best Layout" there are others on there if you don't care for mine but for me, the game runs on this steam deck like it was made for it. Also don't miss this important tip the OP mentioned above "Tip. Adding PokeMMO.sh to Steam as a non-steam game makes it easy to access from Gaming Mode. ". This makes the game exponentially easier to play. You can do this easily by just right clicking on the PokeMMO.sh icon in desktop mode and clicking "add to steam". Thank you very much for this guide it was extremely helpful and I'm really glad to see the steam deck finally getting this kind of attention.

Edited by NotBaker
  • 1 month later...

Dunno who runs the forums for the pokemmo on steam deck but could you please update where it says “put the two lines of coding above the first line of coding” cause for me I had to put the two lines of coding where it said 2. And it was blank. After I did that it finally worked. 2 days of struggles 🥲

6 hours ago, Snoveee said:

Dunno who runs the forums for the pokemmo on steam deck but could you please update where it says “put the two lines of coding above the first line of coding” cause for me I had to put the two lines of coding where it said 2. And it was blank. After I did that it finally worked. 2 days of struggles 🥲

How did you get yours to open in steam? Are you running a specific proton? I think I followed the directions but I am not able to even open the game. Please help!

1 hour ago, FalloffCliff said:

How did you get yours to open in steam? Are you running a specific proton? I think I followed the directions but I am not able to even open the game. Please help!

I just went to non steam games and found the .sh and ran that. I didn’t have to run any type of proton. I think I’m gonna have to make a YouTube tutorial or something cause there literally is only 1 and it’s horrible quality and hard to follow 🥲 but if you’re following the forums guide step by step and putting the code in where it says 2. And is blank it should be working 

On 7/9/2023 at 11:24 AM, Snoveee said:

I just went to non steam games and found the .sh and ran that. I didn’t have to run any type of proton. I think I’m gonna have to make a YouTube tutorial or something cause there literally is only 1 and it’s horrible quality and hard to follow 🥲 but if you’re following the forums guide step by step and putting the code in where it says 2. And is blank it should be working 

If you made a youtube video I’d definitely subscribe and push it to all the steam deck users!

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/27/2022 at 1:55 PM, Shinsu said:

Everything works, but now how do you run an update on Linux? It is much diff on Mac and windows 

For me I just run the game using PokeMMO.sh and the game will ask me to update, I click ok and the game closes and launches the updater

On 7/9/2023 at 8:24 AM, Snoveee said:

I am not sure what you mean. Are you talking about the space between

and

On 8/7/2023 at 11:38 AM, FalloffCliff said:

If you’re still out there please update this! This method no longer works and I would love to play on my steamdeck!

I don't know why this wouldn't work anymore. I just tried to start it on my steam deck with no issues. I updated the game and also the JRE and the game starts up fine. Could you elaborate on what is not working?

On 8/12/2023 at 1:22 AM, MajoraAKC said:

For me I just run the game using PokeMMO.sh and the game will ask me to update, I click ok and the game closes and launches the updater

I am not sure what you mean. Are you talking about the space between

and

I don't know why this wouldn't work anymore. I just tried to start it on my steam deck with no issues. I updated the game and also the JRE and the game starts up fine. Could you elaborate on what is not working?

Sorry I am just seeing this but I just went through the directions again to install. I am not able to get anything to run, In desktop mode or gaming mode. I have installed it Pokemmo on my PC and it works fine. Are the spaces in the code lines mandatory? Are you just clicking PokeMMO.sh inn desktop mode and it boots up or are you opening/executing straight from the folder. I cant even get to the launcher.  I'm not to sure what I'm doing wrong but I hope that helps elaborate.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/16/2023 at 11:17 PM, DarknessEagleX said:

im trying to get this to work again aswell but it wont launch. i noticed that there is more code in the pokemmo.sh file about os flags. i tried removing that but it still wont launch at all. it was working a few weeks ago

It does work.

I installed this on my deck for the first time today and it all worked no problem.

Was pretty surprised, you can use most visual mods like themes and sprite changes.

@DarknessEagleX

Ignore the extra text in the .sh

All you need to do is look for the java line and place those 2 export lines above it.

Make sure you rename the jre to java inside your pokeMMO folder tooo.

export JAVA_HOME=./java

On 8/16/2023 at 4:17 PM, DarknessEagleX said:

im trying to get this to work again aswell but it wont launch. i noticed that there is more code in the pokemmo.sh file about os flags. i tried removing that but it still wont launch at all. it was working a few weeks ago

On 8/14/2023 at 2:49 PM, FalloffCliff said:

Sorry I am just seeing this but I just went through the directions again to install. I am not able to get anything to run, In desktop mode or gaming mode. I have installed it Pokemmo on my PC and it works fine. Are the spaces in the code lines mandatory? Are you just clicking PokeMMO.sh inn desktop mode and it boots up or are you opening/executing straight from the folder. I cant even get to the launcher.  I'm not to sure what I'm doing wrong but I hope that helps elaborate.

I think it could be a permission error. Is Pokemmo.sh set as an executable? You can do it in terminal by typing

chmod +x /path/to/pokemmo.sh

or right clicking PokeMMO.sh in file manager, go to Properties, then Permissions and make sure Is Executable is checked

Edited by MajoraAKC
  • 1 month later...