PokeMMO's Level CAP should be removed after 8th gyms and its a HUGE demotivator for new players.

Raanara

briefly introducing myself: i'm a player from 2012 back when there was only gen. 1 and these days when i came back, to my surprise: starters+storyline mons are 15-IV locked with neutral nature, there's regional level cap and my couple lvl 100 mons are sitting in my boxes now useless(for pve)this is fine 🙂 

this last one it the reason i'm making this post.

i get it that level cap prevents player from going "Hoenn solo Blaziken party". no problem.

Lets be honest: PokeMMO is for COMP PVP (and shinies) and this is why we are here. Storyline is of course an important part of the game but

PVE is a thing PokeO  pokeMMO's competition excels at prioritizes.

having said that, what i don't get is:  consider that PokeMMO already breaks the casual pokémon experience with the no legendaries policy , level cap , lacking of gym mechanics(etc). That makes the storymode an even more so robotic "turn off your brain bulbapedia walkthrough lo-fi beats" experience.... (admit it)

so Why  force players to make a different disposable team for every of the 4 leagues?  that's almost two dozen pokémons you'll never want to see again.

that's over a dozen hours saved from "end-game" E4 grinding.  the same repeating process multiplied by 4.

Why not remove level-cap in the region when the player reaches victory road?

the ride.png

Edited by Raanara

I disagree with you, I think the level cap is a very nice way to put some difficulty in the adventure. It really adds to the replayability, I played it in a Nuzlocke challenge, and in 3 different monotype challenges.

It's nice that the game is hard because it forces you to elaborate new strategies.

It also prepare the new players to play PvP. You are not gonna be overleveled against an other player, so might as well get use to that.

It's also more realistic, just like not having the legendary pokemons.

Since it's a MMO, it doesn't matter if it's hard, because people can ask other players for help or advices. Some players discover the concept of IVs, EVs and nature that way. And sometimes even the separation physical/special.

And finally, a lot of players use the same team for all the different e4.

Start in Unova, lvl cap 56

Then Hoenn, lvl cap 58

Then Sinnoh, 60

And Kanto, 62

Since you can change region after 4 badges it's not a big deal.

Now, just go sell your 2012-2013 vanities and just buy whatever 5x31 +nature COMP Pokemons you want to crush the e4

32 minutes ago, ScizoMonkey said:

Since it's a MMO, it doesn't matter if it's hard, because people can ask other players for help or advices. Some players discover the concept of IVs, EVs and nature that way. And sometimes even the separation physical/special.

And finally, a lot of players use the same team for all the different e4.

Start in Unova, lvl cap 56

Then Hoenn, lvl cap 58

Then Sinnoh, 60

And Kanto, 62

Since you can change region after 4 badges it's not a big deal.

I see the intention to add some difficulty and make players develop strategical thinking to plan ahead and progress through the game but first you must know about this level cap order which is the very opposite people would naturally progress. (kanto>hoenn>sinnoh>Unova)

It ends up being more of an inconvenience than a challenge and makes players beg for mons because their last team was a little overlvled for the next league.

Again i'm not asking for a whole Storymode skip, only suggesting to save time from unnecessary time-consuming E4's leveling.

just let me use my lvl100 gengar,marowak,rhydon i put 200h on goddamnit i know ev,iv,nats,breedingblabla

Edited by Raanara
15 minutes ago, Raanara said:

I see the intention to add some difficulty and make players develop strategical thinking to plan ahead and progress through the game but first you must know about this level cap order which is the very opposite people would naturally progress. (kanto>hoenn>sinnoh>Unova)

It ends up being more of an inconvenience than a challenge and makes players beg for mons because their last team was a little overlvled for the next league.

Again i'm not asking for a whole Storymode skip, only suggesting to save time from unnecessary time-consuming E4's leveling.

just let me use my lvl100 gengar,marowak,rhydon i put 200h on goddamnit i know ev,iv,nats,breedingblabla

The E4 beeing the final boss of the storyline, I think it's important to let the level cap for it.

Also, you can buy good Pokemons on the GTL for pretty cheap, like Dragonite lvl 60 for less than 10k. 

And you can rebattle the trainers, so money is not a problem, and trainers rebattle also gives XP.

You can also summon hordes to level up, and do EVs at the same time.

It's really not that hard, and if a player has reached the e4, most likely he will finished it.

1 hour ago, ScizoMonkey said:

The E4 beeing the final boss of the storyline, I think it's important to let the level cap for it.

Also, you can buy good Pokemons on the GTL for pretty cheap, like Dragonite lvl 60 for less than 10k. 

And you can rebattle the trainers, so money is not a problem, and trainers rebattle also gives XP.

You can also summon hordes to level up, and do EVs at the same time.

It's really not that hard, and if a player has reached the e4, most likely he will finished it.

Unless he don't have any mon below lvl cap allowed and no money to buy a new one. Then, he are on a Semi-Soft-lock. On other words, are fully softlocked but if any player give to him a pokemon below lvl that he are allowed to use, he will be freed of softlock.

8 hours ago, Raanara said:

so Why  force players to make a different disposable team for every of the 4 leagues?

Now considering I beaten the leagues with the same team of 6 (excluding the first 4 gym badges needed for travelling, that team was nox31 reject dex entries from my main account) I always write this off because it is possible.

Get the first 4 badges of Unova using said reject team (1team) and beat all 4 regions in unison with another team (1team)

As long as you take note of the level caps and focus on lowest one, what can go wrong? 

There's 2 teams saved you from making.

8 hours ago, Raanara said:

Why not remove level-cap in the region when the player reaches victory road?

Whats stopping me from grinding to Lv.100 for a easy sweep of the Elite 4? I know you can do this in the core games, but why turn off the level cap for the final stretch of the region? Unlike the core games, for the first time you fight them, your team is healed inbetween battles. They could have just left it. 

Plus, as long as your team is close to the level cap then the Elite 4 is really not hard. Having a slight level advantage helps.

Edited by Elizn
typo

I feel like this would make defeating the elite 4 much easier than the gyms. Like others have said nothing would stop you from leveling up your Pokemon to 100 (which is quicker in PokeMMO due to hordes). With a halfway decent team that’s level 100 most players would likely have a very easy time. Not to mention that in PokeMMO your team’s healed after each Elite 4 battle. 

12 hours ago, Carlosjxx said:

When I was a new player that never demotivated me. In fact, it gives more emotion to the game. 

Im with Carlos. Before pokemmo, i thought i knew pokemon. It was a few days after playing....i found i was terribly mistaken. And sure....okay maybe the difficulty may push a few people away, but for many many others, its a motivator to keep on learning. I always had the impression natures were just a "fun" thing. Like. My pikachu is jolly so its happy and your pikachu is bashful so its shy. And it was just some gimmicky thing. EVs...i understood were a bonus, but i was unaware of how you actually force them into two or three specific areas by KOing specific hordes or individual species. Or how you might decide to change your mind later on and reset/retrain with berries and more horde farming. Pokemmo forces you to learn all that. Or at the very least...it forces you to question why your venusaur always dies to other venusaurs 100% of the time. Even as far as shinies....in all my years of pokemon playing, the original versions, i never once naturally encountered a shiny. 100% of them were always emulated, and that was in a rate of 1/8k....1/6k...whatever. point is....here its 1/30k of course. Which seems extreme. But i have 19 shinies here and the only reason why i hunted them, is because its hard to do, and therefore actually means something. I greatly enjoy the limits we are forced to in pokemmo (for the most part, nothings perfect) but i definitely dont see making things easier, a step in the right direction.

Pokemmo weeds out the weak and only leaves the brave souls, true of heart, to soak up the glory. Wether youre a noob or not is irrelevant. If youre willing to learn, the knowledge is there, and theres a top tier community to support.

Pokemmo is basically a teaching tool for "how to pokemon"

Edited by CanadaSorry
Spelling

And i guess for frame of reference. I started in 2019 "knowing everything" but i now know, back then i knew nothing, and today i still have a lot i can learn. Love pokemmo, love the community, and love the fact that 100% theres still more knowledge for me to chew on in the future. However a large portion of said "chewable knowledge" would be made redundant, the easier the game gets for the average player

Edited by CanadaSorry