Introduce Linking Cord

gasigo

Question

Trade evolutions had been a pain point in Pokemon games ever since we're allowed to trade Pokemon online.

Current Situation

Today, in any Pokemon game (except Legend Arceus), not just PokeMMO, trading evolutions always involve a risk if you don't know / trust the other person. If you're just trading to add an entry to your Pokedex is usually fine, as the pokemon in the trade often will have little to no value. But when you're trying to evolve a Pokemon like Kingdra after breeding it to have perfect IVs, nature, etc. Then evolving it turns into a big risk as there's nothing stopping the other person to simply take your Pokemon.

I know that most of the time, mods will be able to identify these cases and ban the player at fault given enough evidence. But overall, in my opinion, this mechanic on an online game is a design flaw, it doesn't really add any relevant value to these pokemons or to the game.

Proposed Solution

In my opinion trade evolutions should work just like they do in Legend Arceus. This means we'd need to introduce the Linking Cord to the game and change the items hold by pokemon during evolutions to work just like evolutions stones. 

Changing this mechanic would not only completely eradicate the risk involved in trade evolutions, but it'd also reduce staff load as they wouldn't have to investigate / address this anymore.

12 answers to this question

14 minutes ago, IIZapperII said:

It would be nice to have a safer alternative when trading Pokémon and items, but if you don't have a trusted friend to help you evolve your Pokémon, you can ask a staff member for help in global chat, also if you have 2 devices with PokeMMO you can easily exchange it yourself with 2 different accounts.

I know staff usually help with this, but I think this is time they could use for different things in the game. Also, I don't think multi accounts are allowed.

While I see the reasoning behind this (trade evolutions can be pretty annoying) I think it encourages you to be more social. Even if it’s just asking for a mod to help you in global chat it encourages you to engage with the community (even in a small way). Since this is an MMO I think trade evolution should stay but there may be a way to make it more convenient; Like a specific section on the GTL or chat to coordinate meeting up for trade evolutions. 
There are times I don’t really want to go through that so I’ll trade them to myself on a second account; Not everyone has access to two devices, though. 

1 minute ago, azuloon said:

While I see the reasoning behind this (trade evolutions can be pretty annoying) I think it encourages you to be more social. Even if it’s just asking for a mod to help you in global chat it encourages you to engage with the community (even in a small way). Since this is an MMO I think trade evolution should stay but there may be a way to make it more convenient; Like a specific section on the GTL or chat to coordinate meeting up for trade evolutions. 
There are times I don’t really want to go through that so I’ll trade them to myself on a second account; Not everyone has access to two devices, though. 

I think that's why they we're introduced in the first place, but when this isn't done in person it's pretty anxiety until you get your Pokemon back. I don't think this is how social interaction should happen in the game. There's plenty of other ways in the game to interact with other people that don't involve fear of being robbed. 

At best, there's should be a same way of doing it, if the social aspect is something really important for the devs. Otherwise it's just facilitating people steal from mostly beginners

1 hour ago, gasigo said:

it's pretty anxiety until you get your Pokemon back

Dont worry!  The anxiety is because you think there is a danger around.

You can say: I took a screen shot so if you rob me I will report you and if you pass the Pokemon to other account the Super GM will track it and destroy your account!

11 minutes ago, MightyMichele said:

Dont worry!  The anxiety is because you think there is a danger around.

You can say: I took a screen shot so if you rob me I will report you and if you pass the Pokemon to other account the Super GM will track it and destroy your account!

This isn't really about me specifically, it's about the trade evolution mechanic in general. All of these "solutions" aren't obvious for new players, which are the most vulnerable of this mechanic. You can expect someone playing the game for 20 hours to screenshot chat before trading, or that mods might help you with trade evolutions, etc. Most likely they'll just try to find anyone willing to help and hope they don't take their pokemon away.

This is a good suggestion purely because new players don't usually know that "no scamming" is a rule. They don't know that they should screenshot before giving strangers their pokemon, and a lot of times if they do happen to get their pokemon stolen they don't even know they can report the other player to try to get their pokemon back.

That being said, this is a MMO, and the point of the game is to interact with other players, not to play it solo. This idea is better suited for a rom hack or implemented as a feature in an emulator in my opinion. Since this is an MMO, I think adding a specific type of trade might be a better solution. For example, there could be a "trade -> trade evolution" option, or a "temporary loan" option when you click the other player and the trade button. Maybe in the trade window you could set a timer for a maximum time limit the other person can hold your pokemon/items, and after that time limit is up, the exchanged goods automatically go back to the original party. Something like this would get new players engaged with other people, while also it being 100% safe, and not a headache/time consumer for mods.

Sorry to change the direction of your suggestion / conversation here btw, just my thoughts on the idea.

3 hours ago, awkways said:

This is a good suggestion purely because new players don't usually know that "no scamming" is a rule. They don't know that they should screenshot before giving strangers their pokemon, and a lot of times if they do happen to get their pokemon stolen they don't even know they can report the other player to try to get their pokemon back.

That being said, this is a MMO, and the point of the game is to interact with other players, not to play it solo. This idea is better suited for a rom hack or implemented as a feature in an emulator in my opinion. Since this is an MMO, I think adding a specific type of trade might be a better solution. For example, there could be a "trade -> trade evolution" option, or a "temporary loan" option when you click the other player and the trade button. Maybe in the trade window you could set a timer for a maximum time limit the other person can hold your pokemon/items, and after that time limit is up, the exchanged goods automatically go back to the original party. Something like this would get new players engaged with other people, while also it being 100% safe, and not a headache/time consumer for mods.

Sorry to change the direction of your suggestion / conversation here btw, just my thoughts on the idea.

I think it's important to discuss different ideas as well, I wouldn't mind a different type of trade in order to preserve the social aspect of it, as long as it's safe to do so.