[Strings] Faster Strings (Updated 10.11.2022)

On 2/28/2023 at 8:05 AM, nurver9 said:

This is incorrect- this file was made specifically to solve a "bug" that when custom strings are present on the user's system, 48,000+ of lines of text from the ROM are being displayed instead of the game text the PokeMMO developers made. If you are using modified strings without a variant of this placeholder, you a missing extensive amounts of MMO specific dialog related to re-balances, item changes, etc. Please note this is only an issue for English language users. It does not occur when other languages are set as the client language.

Further documentation with steps to reproduce this issue and evidence of this claim can be viewed here: https://forums.pokemmo.com/index.php?/topic/150771-docs-localization-files-understanding-syntax-and-load-order/

Moving on, in extremely rare instances the secondary strings container does not populate as per the client's console logs. An example of this bug can be seen in @CaptSkiFt's post. There is currently no known reason why this occurs. This produces the Mandela effect that the placeholder file is actually breaking systems, when it is not.

However, there is a very easy resolution to this strange issue. Simply set another language you do not use as your primary by modifying the is_primary conditional flag. Change English to 0 and another language to 1 instead. When the secondary string container does not populate, users do not have to use a placeholder file as long as they use this aforementioned workaround.

You could also change the primary language instead of using a placeholder file to begin with, but the point of the file is to streamline the loading process so files are just plug and play, so the user does not have to perform these edits. Unfortunately when the secondary string container fails to populate, this is impossible.

I have not tested if the incorrect dialog bug occurs on mobile, but it can easily be checked if incense and smoke balls have outdated item descriptions. TL;DR this is caused by the client falling back to the original ROM data instead of the MMO game text.

Upload the XMLs onto mobile via cable or file transfer service if needed.

however it (unova placeholder xml) broke the strings which in turn, rendered useless.

also, the main language used is English and mobile as the platform

Edited by Gengarcello
10 hours ago, Gengarcello said:

however it (unova placeholder xml) broke the strings which in turn, rendered useless.

also, the main language used is English and mobile as the platform

Any user who puts any custom string on their system (while using English, this has been tested to not occur while other languages are being used.), mobile or pc, is breaking their game extensively. You just don't notice it.

Shao's, sleepea's, anything you see in a Discord or on GitHub is breaking the game.

Here's a great example of just one single item that users have created official bug reports over.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1016764643462623272/1035588455570350090/unknown.png

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1016764643462623272/1035579216172961904/unknown.png

The ROM states a Smoke Ball has a 100% guaranteed flee rate. That is not the case in PokeMMO.

This is one string of 48,000 that are being displayed incorrectly to the user when any custom string is present.

Check for yourself- if you have this old Smoke Ball text, none of your item or move descriptions are accurate. This is probably not ideal for playing a primary PvP based game, not knowing what anythings true effects are.

The point of this placeholder file is to resolve this issue, as well as streamline the file management process. Again, to reference my previous post, in rare instances user's secondary string container does not populate, and can be verified via the console.log file.

Telling users to not use this file which the OP has included is misinformation, and could potentially cause this aforementioned catastrophic issue to appear in their game.

If you are experiencing every single string just displaying their id (secondary string container not populating.), yes do not use the placeholder file. Instead, change another language's primary flag to 1, and English to 0. This will resolve the issue with the incorrect text displaying. It can be done so you don't even need the placeholder to begin with, but that takes time, increases margin of error for the user because they're editing files, as well as linux and mac potentially just overwriting the file every update. It is a Mandela effect that the placeholder is "useless.", changing another language to have the primary 1 flag is essentially the same thing as the placeholder.

As Shao has not provided any explanation as to what this file is or does with their documentation, this should summarize it fairly well.

Edited by nurver9
8 hours ago, nurver9 said:

Any user who puts any custom string on their system (while using English, this has been tested to not occur while other languages are being used.), mobile or pc, is breaking their game extensively. You just don't notice it.

Shao's, sleepea's, anything you see in a Discord or on GitHub is breaking the game.

Here's a great example of just one single item that users have created official bug reports over.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1016764643462623272/1035588455570350090/unknown.png

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1016764643462623272/1035579216172961904/unknown.png

The ROM states a Smoke Ball has a 100% guaranteed flee rate. That is not the case in PokeMMO.

This is one string of 48,000 that are being displayed incorrectly to the user when any custom string is present.

Check for yourself- if you have this old Smoke Ball text, none of your item or move descriptions are accurate. This is probably not ideal for playing a primary PvP based game, not knowing what anythings true effects are.

The point of this placeholder file is to resolve this issue, as well as streamline the file management process. Again, to reference my previous post, in rare instances user's secondary string container does not populate, and can be verified via the console.log file.

Telling users to not use this file which the OP has included is misinformation, and could potentially cause this aforementioned catastrophic issue to appear in their game.

If you are experiencing every single string just displaying their id (secondary string container not populating.), yes do not use the placeholder file. Instead, change another language's primary flag to 1, and English to 0. This will resolve the issue with the incorrect text displaying. It can be done so you don't even need the placeholder to begin with, but that takes time, increases margin of error for the user because they're editing files, as well as linux and mac potentially just overwriting the file every update. It is a Mandela effect that the placeholder is "useless.", changing another language to have the primary 1 flag is essentially the same thing as the placeholder.

As Shao has not provided any explanation as to what this file is or does with their documentation, this should summarize it fairly well.

but the only string I am using is this one tho

1 hour ago, Gengarcello said:

but the only string I am using is this one tho

And without the placeholder (or changing another language primary flag to 1, and English to 0.) you have the missing MMO game text bug, 48,000 incorrect strings.

Edited by nurver9
6 hours ago, Branaso said:

is it possible to add this function ? 

yes, open that strings and check out where the english city names are added, then copy that into this "faster strings", dont try to edit this on a block note, use something like sublime text or any text editor 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/13/2023 at 7:34 PM, Hazekawa said:

Hi, is there a tutorial for this?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zkzbzcytbx4rd13/strings.zip?dl=0

Hi I don't know if this would help you but I was able to get the strings in one file so if you download that file and extract it and then you can import it in the string section of your game 

Hopefully that helps I was having If she was getting it to work but I got it to work now It just doesn't work unova/sinnoh healing centers I'm trying to figure that out next

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/28/2023 at 9:28 AM, Krackon said:

Es legal el uso de este mod? 

Me gustaría que un administrador confirmase 

El uso de este mod es legal, unicamente estas modificando las oraciones del juego.

The usage of this mod is legal, you're only modifying the strings of the game.

On 3/15/2023 at 12:04 PM, ShagCity said:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zkzbzcytbx4rd13/strings.zip?dl=0

Hi I don't know if this would help you but I was able to get the strings in one file so if you download that file and extract it and then you can import it in the string section of your game 

Hopefully that helps I was having If she was getting it to work but I got it to work now It just doesn't work unova/sinnoh healing centers I'm trying to figure that out next

this upload is completely botched, it's a single line with only a handful of strings and no closing syntax. it's also a text file, there's so many things wrong with this. you utilized default language flags so it will automatically load when present in the users files, which is great normally- not great when your file is broken.

I don't understand why users take it upon themselves to redistribute content thinking it's making it easier for others, when really it's creating a larger mess.

Edited by nurver9
On 4/3/2023 at 3:08 AM, nurver9 said:

this upload is completely botched, it's a single line with only a handful of strings and no closing syntax. it's also a text file, there's so many things wrong with this. you utilized default language flags so it will automatically load when present in the users files, which is great normally- not great when your file is broken.

I don't understand why users take it upon themselves to redistribute content thinking it's making it easier for others, when really it's creating a larger mess.

I believe you can report posts like that so a moderator can review the link itself.

2 hours ago, Michelle said:

I believe you can report posts like that so a moderator can review the link itself.

it stems from a larger problem in this community unfortunately,  general misunderstanding of file formats, etc.
also, mods of this nature, including themes must be updated in conjunction with the base game.

is a fantastic example, users re-uploading the mod two, three, four upwards to five times for no reason.

I've never seen a community for any game re-upload content like in this thread and the aforementioned one because they couldn't figure out basic installation steps.

Edited by nurver9
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi for some reason it does not work for me in android  

I extracted the zip then imported only the .xml in the string folder it does say successfully completed but when I close the file manager and open the string folder again it just shows the default files

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...