Shiny Comp Breeding

So I kinda want to start breeding up my shinies into comps but I'd really love some advice from experienced players. I know the current breeding rules on shiny breeding, but if there's anything you'd like to add plz feel free to drop it in here 😄 

So, people with experience...
-Is it a lot more efficient (cost-wise) to go 2x31 3x25 natured or just straight 31 IVS?
- How many shiny mons should I expect to consume and how should I go about buying them?
- how much will this hurt my wallet (estimate)?

Thanks!

P.S If anyone can show me an example of how I can "efficiently" turn this guy into a chad comp shiny, that'd be great!
1066451535_ScreenShot2022-11-21at5_36_05AM.png.c9ef70992e096d8aee3ee5f76fd7bb92.png

Its more cost efficient to have 2x31 3x25 with a nature in all honesty. Shinies have a higher chance of rolling higher IVs, its cheaper for sure to get non 31 stats at least viable for comp, rather than having a 5x31 natured shiny.

If you're going for a shiny comp Chandelure with your Litwick, and plan on 2x31 natured. 2 if you're lucky with the nature roll, 3 if you're not, since you want it natured.

How much it will cost depends on how much the Pokemon are selling for on the GTL. I recently done the same with my Shiny Magikarp, and it taken around $9m to make since I kept getting special attacking natures lol.

image.png.d6f159c35070805f77b50909f864c281.png

7 hours ago, Elizn said:

higher chance of rolling higher IVs

it's not a higher chance, you're guaranteed to roll 3 max IVs out of the 6, and 3 middle IVs always.

7 hours ago, Elizn said:

taken around $9m

should take around 4-5m on avg to do what you did, I have a lot of shiny comps bred by me.

3 hours ago, razimove said:

should take around 4-5m on avg to do what you did, I have a lot of shiny comps bred by me.

I got bad rolls on nature. If I had a good one it would have cost half that in all honesty. That and my starting shiny Magikarp was Male with a 31 in Defence.

Its why I said it depends on GTL pricing how much things like these can cost to make

5 hours ago, Elizn said:

I got bad rolls on nature. If I had a good one it would have cost half that in all honesty. That and my starting shiny Magikarp was Male with a 31 in Defence.

Its why I said it depends on GTL pricing how much things like these can cost to make

no such thing as bad rolls, you don't roll for the nature, it's a semi comp, you buy a wild natured 3x23-25-27-29+ depending on the IVs you have with 1x31 and slap it in, they hold no extra value since its near impossible to sell non perfect shiny comps close to their making cost even perfects are hard to sell. And it doens't depend the market is quite stable, you just need to know what you're doing.

Edited by razimove
12 hours ago, Elizn said:

Its more cost efficient to have 2x31 3x25 with a nature in all honesty. Shinies have a higher chance of rolling higher IVs, its cheaper for sure to get non 31 stats at least viable for comp, rather than having a 5x31 natured shiny.

If you're going for a shiny comp Chandelure with your Litwick, and plan on 2x31 natured. 2 if you're lucky with the nature roll, 3 if you're not, since you want it natured.

How much it will cost depends on how much the Pokemon are selling for on the GTL. I recently done the same with my Shiny Magikarp, and it taken around $9m to make since I kept getting special attacking natures lol.

image.png.d6f159c35070805f77b50909f864c281.png

Thanks for the help! 

20 minutes ago, Appable said:

but... ot 😭

I mean for the amount you'll make from an investment like that you can probably perfect all your ot's in the next 2 years. It'll cost like 35mil or less to perfect any shiny. (5x31 natured) That is without rare particles of course.

18 hours ago, razimove said:

it's not a higher chance, you're guaranteed to roll 3 max IVs out of the 6, and 3 middle IVs always.

Of the 6 stats, you may lock 2 with braces. If youre not locking nature.

Assuming its your first breed, you can lock 2 stats with braces, and of the 4 stats left untouched, 2 of them randomly will become max. And by that i dont mean become 31. I mean of the highest possible IV outcome for 2 stats, it will select the highest possibility for 2 stats. Thats it.

The remaining 2 average out with eachother as normal. But can still min/max. 

Edited by CanadaSorry
11 minutes ago, CanadaSorry said:

Of the 6 stats, you may lock 2 with braces. If youre not locking nature.

Assuming its your first breed, you can lock 2 stats with braces, and of the 4 stats left untouched, 2 of them randomly will become max. And by that i dont mean become 31. I mean of the highest possible IV outcome for 2 stats, it will select the highest possibility for 2 stats. Thats it.

The remaining 2 average out with eachother as normal. But can still min/max. 

I'm legit clueless as how's that relevant to what I said. Any shiny breed will inherit 3 of the highest IVs the parents have, and it does not consider if you have braces or not, it will inherit 3 randomly between the 6. The other 3 stats, will be mid/high rolls and never low rolls. thats all there is to know, that's the only 'improved' mechanic to ease the breed.

2 hours ago, razimove said:

I'm legit clueless as how's that relevant to what I said. Any shiny breed will inherit 3 of the highest IVs the parents have, and it does not consider if you have braces or not, it will inherit 3 randomly between the 6. The other 3 stats, will be mid/high rolls and never low rolls. thats all there is to know, that's the only 'improved' mechanic to ease the breed.

The relevance to give you a clue would be that it's a correction to what you said. A shiny breed will inherit two of the highest IV's the parents have and not three. Two of the remaining IV's and not three will always be averaged. And if you don't use braces to dictate the other two remaining IV's, there is indeed a chance for them to low-roll (or high-roll, they're determined normally).

You can read this whenever you hover over the IV's of any Shiny Pokémon you want to breed. It'll also tell you that each stat has a chance to low-roll if you're not using braces.
image.png.37ddd92f26d720a453740dab6a4da985.png

It essentially becomes more relevant, the higher your personal standards. If youre alright with that "higher inheritance" IV to come out as 22 instead of 31, shiny breeding will be relatively "cheaper".

The higher the standards you set on yourself, the more expensive and risky the later breeds are going to be in the build. 

Other factors like certain egg moves you might want, will greatly influence the price. A decent example would be wish on clefairy requiring you to destroy a shiny togekiss in the process. If youre rich enough, no problemo. Rip to that togekiss. If youre trying to budget yourself. Youll have to deal with softboiled. 

Shiny breeding itself is somewhat cheap and pretty convenient for the extra guarantee of higher IVs but if youre going for comp grade, there are multiple factors in play that will make a comp breed pretty tough. Timid chandelure vs timid staryu would be a nice example of that. They are both expensive. Both can handle a 2x31 budget set but one will require some exploitation of dittos and the other is easily achievable by carefully selecting chaos breeders

On 11/22/2022 at 4:54 PM, SacredDiver said:

The relevance to give you a clue would be that it's a correction to what you said. A shiny breed will inherit two of the highest IV's the parents have and not three. Two of the remaining IV's and not three will always be averaged. And if you don't use braces to dictate the other two remaining IV's, there is indeed a chance for them to low-roll (or high-roll, they're determined normally).

You can read this whenever you hover over the IV's of any Shiny Pokémon you want to breed. It'll also tell you that each stat has a chance to low-roll if you're not using braces.
image.png.37ddd92f26d720a453740dab6a4da985.png

Thanks for the correction, although I have never seen any low roll, and I bred shinies for profit pre-chinese invasion, andd still have quite a few perfect to this day.  I am near sure in the past it was 3 ivs guaranteed but might be wrong, @Goku might know it better, either way sorry for misleading.

regarding pricing or factors when breeding, not really something bothersome honestly, now there is a market standard for most 2x31, 3x31 etc natured, so you can easily find a ballpark where you can breed and have room for profit/small loss, just consider that GTL may not be where you get the best prices a lot of times and requires a lot of days sometime between breeds.

37 minutes ago, razimove said:

Thanks for the correction, although I have never seen any low roll, and I bred shinies for profit pre-chinese invasion, andd still have quite a few perfect to this day.  I am near sure in the past it was 3 ivs guaranteed but might be wrong, @Goku might know it better, either way sorry for misleading.

Yeah I've considered the fact that it might've been different in the past as well but I wouldn't know, I haven't been breeding shinies for that long. Though I also see how hard it is to tell that low rolls are a thing in shiny breeding. From my understanding, the only scenario in which they would occur is if no braces are being used. Realistically, the only time you wouldn't use a brace is if you're passing nature with an everstone which would mean that it's only one stat with a 25% chance to low-roll the very few times you pass nature. Very easy to miss, assuming it low-rolls in the first place. I've also yet to see a low-roll myself.

Edit: Apparently, this is the mechanic for non-shiny breeding. I think it might explain the confusion.
image.png.045a903942bb098d3f402f4dd69a7605.png

Edited by SacredDiver