[OU] Sample Teams Thread (First Batch of hiddens)

XD.jpg

Art by  @Tear and @Lumière

With the new introduction of the first batch of hidden, I wanted to make a post to be able to share sample teams for those people who are new and would like to enter the current meta, I want to emphasize that it is an initial post. You just need to click on the pokémon icon to go to the paste link.

You are free to contribute teams if you want them to appear as sample teams.(Depending on how suitable it is for the meta, it will be verified to be added, better if it is with some description)

Most Simple

Smurf Team Alternative by @Lumiereico_3ds_149.png-ico_3ds_286.png-ico_3ds_637.png-ico_3ds_121.png-ico_3ds_212.png-ico_3ds_445.png

Double Frog Rain Team  Alternative by @Lumiere ico_3ds_212.png-ico_3ds_537.png-ico_3ds_279.png-ico_3ds_454.png-ico_3ds_230.png-ico_3ds_141.png

Rain Crawdaunt  by @Huargensy ico_3ds_342.png-ico_3ds_373.png-ico_3ds_279.png-ico_3ds_445.png-ico_3ds_598.png-ico_3ds_230.png

Ditto Offense by @SweeTforUico_3ds_530.png-ico_3ds_212.png-ico_3ds_094.png-ico_3ds_637.png-ico_3ds_132.png-ico_3ds_635.png

Most Advanced

Semi Stall Team with Sableye  by @queestico_3ds_242.png-ico_3ds_195.png-ico_3ds_302.png-ico_3ds_003.png-ico_3ds_227.png-ico_3ds_461.png

Balanced team Weavile  +Lucario by @Huargensyico_3ds_461.png-ico_3ds_110.png-ico_3ds_448.png-ico_3ds_479-wash.png-ico_3ds_450.png-ico_3ds_242.png

DREISHAO BALANCE by @LpZico_3ds_395.png-ico_3ds_472.png-ico_3ds_620.png-ico_3ds_110.png-ico_3ds_635.png-ico_3ds_479-mow.png

Spoiler

This was the mon I wanted to build with, actually the set I was focusing on building around was Spikes Gliscor since spikes go really well with Dreishao, but due to some building complications I decided to turn it into a setup mon since it does handle quite a lot thanks to the boosts. The EV spread gives it enough speed to outspeed neutral base 70s such as Breloom while full HP +140 SpD helps it take 2 LO Draco Meteor from Garchomp after rocks, the rest on Def to improve the overall matchup vs physical threats like Mienshao, Garchomp and Infernape. This mon helps a lot with the Balance matchup since those use to rely quite a bit on Weavile to take Gliscor out, while being generally a good help vs stuff like Reuniclus, Volcarona and Lucario.

gliscor.gif

This was the mon I wanted to build with, actually the set I was focusing on building around was Spikes Gliscor since spikes go really well with Dreishao, but due to some building complications I decided to turn it into a setup mon since it does handle quite a lot thanks to the boosts. The EV spread gives it enough speed to outspeed neutral base 70s such as Breloom while full HP +140 SpD helps it take 2 LO Draco Meteor from Garchomp after rocks, the rest on Def to improve the overall matchup vs physical threats like Mienshao, Garchomp and Infernape. This mon helps a lot with the Balance matchup since those use to rely quite a bit on Weavile to take Gliscor out, while being generally a good help vs stuff like Reuniclus, Volcarona and Lucario.

empoleon.gif

The rocks setter of choice for this team, amazing mon overall in the tier and I feel like it is just underrated, the one thing annoying this mon is having to choose the slot between Ice Beam and Toxic, since without Toxic you can`t annoy Washtom. Anyways getting back to the overview, very reliable setter with very useful resistances to boot, notably checking Weavile. Rocks, Scald and Roost are all very self-explanatory but Ice Beam is being chosen on the last slot alongside Shuca Berry so you can lure ground pokemon such as Garchomp, Nidoking and Gliscor, it is also useful at not letting Serperior and Hydreigon clicking Substitute for free while with the 44 SpA actually 2HKOing both. Probably very useful into the newcomer Multiscale Dragonite too.

hydreigon.gif

Another setup threat for the team, this mon absolutely loves Mienshao pivotting capabilities as it can lure in Ghost-types and Weezing, stuff that are generally not comfortable being on Drei`s face, facilitating the setup. Dark Pulse + Focus Blast just hits so much, Focus Blast nailing Tyranitar and Empoleon most notably while hitting the blobs for a lot of damage. Very straightforward mon.

rotom-mow.gif

The removal option for the team, Mowtom often struggles to find space in OU due to competing for a slot with Washtom but I still consider it a very solid mon with its niches over Washtom. First being a lot better into Gyarados compared to Washtom which has to run Rindo Berry in order to effectively take it out, the EV spread makes so Rotom has enough speed to outspeed unboosted Jolly Gyarados (you also outspeed other key base 80 mons like Jolly Mamoswine and Dragonite) while having enough Defense to avoid being OHKOd by Life Orb +1 Ice Fang from Gyara). This slot used to be a Serperior but altho Serp can also Defog I needed the role compression Mowtom offers to the team.

mienshao.gif

This mon is SO good, best scarfer in the tier hands down imo cuz of its pivotting usefulness and speed allowing it to revengekill stuff such as Volcarona, Gyarados, etc. And I don`t think I can explain a lot about this mon, simply STAB + necessary coverage to hit Volcarona and flying mons + necessary U-turn + Knock to offer some utility, maybe even knocking that one Gliscor trying to activating the orb on your supposed U-turn and Knocking off that annoying Rocky Helmet mainly from Weezing who nullifies your ability. DO NOT USE HP ICE ON SCARF SETS ITS USELESS.

weezing.gif

I don`t like using this mon but yea, well, Serperior+Conk moment. Serperior and Conkeldurr force me to use this and no I don`t think it is a bad mon I just do not like having to slot it, since it goes better on this team compared to Golbat/Crobat. Sludge Bomb gives you the minimum threat this passive levitating fart can offer with nasty poison chances, Clear Smog is another option for that slot as it helps vs Bulk Up Conkeldurr and may also help with Dragonite. Flamethrower is key on this team so it can actively threaten Scizor, as it is the only fire coverage this team has, Wisp annoys physical threats and avoids giving Garchomp free entries and Pain Split as it is the best recovery option for it. 

This team is easy to use and gives you options to play a more proactive game with Dreishao and Rotom while also being able to play longer games with Gliscor, Empo and Weezing. I might submit 1 more team later in another post so this one doesn't become a whole essay. Hope you like it.

Edited by Huargensy

https://pokepast.es/44a8c1492abd699f
I have this, called: The Super-pressure team, i'm explaining each mon.

Aerodactyl @ Focus Sash / Power Herb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Double-Edge / Sky Attack / Tailwind
- Stone Edge
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

Aero is your suicide lead. The Power Herb + Sky attack is the "Glass Cannon" of the moveset. You will shot only once, but will be a 140 BP flying-type attack. This kill instantly even Conkeldurr( 252 Atk Aerodactyl Sky Attack vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Conkeldurr: 216-254 (101.8 - 119.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO ). If you don't like it, you can use Tailwind to have a extra utility, or Double-Edge to kill your aero and prevent your opponent from Spinning, Defogging or killing you with Serperior's Leaf Storm, and getting the +2 boost.

Serperior @ Miracle Seed / Expert Belt
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Leaf Storm
- Glare
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Dragon Pulse

A default serperior moveset, nothing too special here.

Volcarona @ Leftovers
Ability: Flame Body
Modest/Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Psychic
- Bug Buzz
- Fiery Dance

A default Volcarona moveset, nothing too special here.

Starmie @ Leftovers  
Ability: Natural Cure  
Timid Nature  
- Rapid Spin  
- Psychic  
- Surf  
- Ice Beam / Thunderbolt  

A starmie spinner to help you against Hazards, because you have a 4x and a 2x mon weak to rocks.

Dragonite @ Expert Belt / Lum Berry
Ability: Inner Focus / Multiscale  
Adamant Nature  
- Dragon Dance 
- Fire Punch 
- Extreme Speed  
- Dragon Claw  

Dragonite's Dragon Dance Moveset. Expert Belt to deal more damage with supereffective attacks or Lum berry to avoid status conditions.
You can use Inner Focus to capitalize with Fake Out switch-ins, or just prevent Togekiss's Flinchhax. Multiscale can be better to reduce damage and try to setup.

Scizor @ Choice Band  
Ability: Technician  
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD  
Adamant Nature  
- Bullet Punch  
- Close Combat  
- Aerial Ace / Thief / Pursuit / Bug Bite
- U-turn  

Scizor's Choice Band set. Is default, so you don't expect too much against him. 

Edited by caioxlive13

Hi I`d like to submit a team I built for TCL.

DREISHAO BALANCE

Gliscor  sprite from Black 2 & White 2 & Black & WhiteEmpoleon  sprite from Black 2 & White 2 & Black & WhiteHydreigon  sprite from Black 2 & White 2 & Black & WhiteRotom  sprite from Black 2 & White 2 & Black & WhiteMienshao  sprite from Black 2 & White 2 & Black & WhiteWeezing  sprite from Black 2 & White 2 & Black & White

I used this team on the last regular week of TCL which was important for us to qualify for poffs and I was theorymonning a lot about Gliscor structures since it had just gained Poison Heal and I knew for sure it would be on the top of the food chain. I wanted to try something with Gliscor + a very well-known offensive core on Hydreigon + Mienshao, Hydreigon pairs beautifully with Mienshao in any way you want to use them, whether you wanna use Scarf Drei + LO/AV Shao or Scarf Shao with NP/3 Atk Roost Drei. I`m gonna do a quick breakdown:

Gliscor  sprite from Black 2 & White 2 & Black & White

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb  
Ability: Poison Heal  
Level: 50  
EVs: 252 HP / 52 Def / 140 SpD / 60 Spe  
Careful Nature  
- Swords Dance  
- Earthquake  
- Facade  
- Roost

Empoleon  sprite from Black 2 & White 2 & Black & White

Empoleon @ Shuca Berry  
Ability: Torrent  
EVs: 252 HP / 44 SpA / 212 SpD  
Calm Nature  
- Stealth Rock  
- Scald  
- Ice Beam  
- Roost

The rocks setter of choice for this team, amazing mon overall in the tier and I feel like it is just underrated, the one thing annoying this mon is having to choose the slot between Ice Beam and Toxic, since without Toxic you can`t annoy Washtom. Anyways getting back to the overview, very reliable setter with very useful resistances to boot, notably checking Weavile. Rocks, Scald and Roost are all very self-explanatory but Ice Beam is being chosen on the last slot alongside Shuca Berry so you can lure ground pokemon such as Garchomp, Nidoking and Gliscor, it is also useful at not letting Serperior and Hydreigon clicking Substitute for free while with the 44 SpA actually 2HKOing both. Probably very useful into the newcomer Multiscale Dragonite too.

Hydreigon  sprite from Black 2 & White 2 & Black & White

Hydreigon @ Life Orb  
Ability: Levitate  
Timid Nature  
- Nasty Plot  
- Dark Pulse  
- Focus Blast  
- Roost

Another setup threat for the team, this mon absolutely loves Mienshao pivotting capabilities as it can lure in Ghost-types and Weezing, stuff that are generally not comfortable being on Drei`s face, facilitating the setup. Dark Pulse + Focus Blast just hits so much, Focus Blast nailing Tyranitar and Empoleon most notably while hitting the blobs for a lot of damage. Very straightforward mon.

Rotom  sprite from Black 2 & White 2 & Black & White

Rotom-Mow @ Leftovers  
Ability: Levitate  
EVs: 252 HP / 32 Def / 224 Spe  
Timid Nature  
- Leaf Storm  
- Volt Switch  
- Will-O-Wisp  
- Defog

The removal option for the team, Mowtom often struggles to find space in OU due to competing for a slot with Washtom but I still consider it a very solid mon with its niches over Washtom. First being a lot better into Gyarados compared to Washtom which has to run Rindo Berry in order to effectively take it out, the EV spread makes so Rotom has enough speed to outspeed unboosted Jolly Gyarados (you also outspeed other key base 80 mons like Jolly Mamoswine and Dragonite) while having enough Defense to avoid being OHKOd by Life Orb +1 Ice Fang from Gyara). This slot used to be a Serperior but altho Serp can also Defog I needed the role compression Mowtom offers to the team.

Mienshao  sprite from Black 2 & White 2 & Black & White

Mienshao @ Choice Scarf  
Ability: Regenerator  
Jolly Nature  
- Close Combat  
- Stone Edge  
- Knock Off  
- U-turn

This mon is SO good, best scarfer in the tier hands down imo cuz of its pivotting usefulness and speed allowing it to revengekill stuff such as Volcarona, Gyarados, etc. And I don`t think I can explain a lot about this mon, simply STAB + necessary coverage to hit Volcarona and flying mons + necessary U-turn + Knock to offer some utility, maybe even knocking that one Gliscor trying to activating the orb on your supposed U-turn and Knocking off that annoying Rocky Helmet mainly from Weezing who nullifies your ability. DO NOT USE HP ICE ON SCARF SETS ITS USELESS.

Weezing  sprite from Black 2 & White 2 & Black & White

Weezing @ Black Sludge  
Ability: Neutralizing Gas  
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD  
Bold Nature  
- Sludge Bomb/Clear Smog  
- Flamethrower  
- Will-O-Wisp  
- Pain Split

I don`t like using this mon but yea, well, Serperior+Conk moment. Serperior and Conkeldurr force me to use this and no I don`t think it is a bad mon I just do not like having to slot it, since it goes better on this team compared to Golbat/Crobat. Sludge Bomb gives you the minimum threat this passive levitating fart can offer with nasty poison chances, Clear Smog is another option for that slot as it helps vs Bulk Up Conkeldurr and may also help with Dragonite. Flamethrower is key on this team so it can actively threaten Scizor, as it is the only fire coverage this team has, Wisp annoys physical threats and avoids giving Garchomp free entries and Pain Split as it is the best recovery option for it. 

This team is easy to use and gives you options to play a more proactive game with Dreishao and Rotom while also being able to play longer games with Gliscor, Empo and Weezing. I might submit 1 more team later in another post so this one doesn't become a whole essay. Hope you like it.

Paste

Weezing Back sprite from Black 2 & White 2 & Black & WhiteMienshao Back sprite from Black 2 & White 2 & Black & WhiteRotom Back sprite from Black 2 & White 2 & Black & WhiteHydreigon Back sprite from Black 2 & White 2 & Black & WhiteEmpoleon Back sprite from Black 2 & White 2 & Black & WhiteGliscor Back sprite from Black 2 & White 2 & Black & White

• 2 months later...

https://pokepast.es/7a41c932249d3819

Sharing a HO that i use and like too much. Builded by me with help of Global PT with some tips. 

This team is the Snake Variant of Smurf Offense(Choose this name because later i noticed that only change 1 mon beetween my team and Smurf Offense. Side note: if wish to add this team to Sample, rename the other Smurf offense to Smurf Offense - Mushroom Variation) 

This team had a change compared to Smurf offense. Uses Serperior instead of Breloom. The idea is not focus the main attackers on Physical Side because most part of good physical walls/tanks don't get affected by PP nerf(Like Weezing, Rotom-W, Relaxed Ferrothorns... And Gliscor that heals now with poison heal more than roost) so the idea is pressure the now weaker Special Side. 

Garchomp @ Life Orb  
Ability: Rough Skin    
EVs: 128 Atk / 128 SpA / 252 Spe  
Hasty/Naive Nature  
- Dragon Claw / Draco Meteor
- Earthquake  
- Stealth Rock  
- Fire Blast  

The spread is a Standard rock setter. This spread has a utility- 128 or more Sp. atk + Life Orb is the only thing that can make a Fire Blast OHKO ferrothorns if not Special Defense. Flamethrower isn't enough. Draco Meteor is a good option but i don't like it...

Starmie @ Leftovers / Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure    
Timid Nature  
- Rapid Spin  
- Thunderbolt / Ice Beam
- Surf  
- Psyshock  

A spinner to your team. Since Garchomp are weaker defensively, you can't defog rocks away because it will clean the rocks that you set up on opposing field. You must clean yours without cleaning of opponent because chomp have a high chance of faint early. Starmie is the best Spinner of metagaming and there is their standard set. Ice beam and TBolt is a difficult choice. Ice beam grants good matchup vs Hydrei. Tbolt allows you to target Pelipper unprepared. Since both possible targets to Ice Beam(Dragons and Grass), the team have other mons to deal with it, I would run TBolt

Dragonite @ Leftovers  
Ability: Multiscale  
Adamant or Jolly Nature  
- Dragon Dance  
- Dragon Claw  
- Fire Punch  
- Extreme Speed  

I need to explain this? 

Serperior @ Assault Vest / Leftovers
Ability: Contrary  
Timid Nature  
- Leaf Storm  
- Giga Drain / Glare / Taunt / Substitute
- Dragon Pulse / Leech Seed
- Hidden Power [Fire] / Leech Seed

Those set is the uniqueness of the team. Assault Vest now proven that are a amazing choice. Most common teams on OU are Rain and Smurf Offense and this set had a suprise for they. Assault Vest allows Serperior to Survive Kingdra Hurricane and Volcarona Fiery Dance(As long as volca didn't setup) and if hazards are up, Volca loses 1v1 and Kingdra if you setup once before, you win. Since assault vest locks you from usig status moves, you need to bring giga drain. If you're not comfortable with it, you can use Glare/SubSeed variations or even Taunt(all of those with Leftovers)

Volcarona @ Leftovers  
Ability: Flame Body  
Timid Nature  
- Bug Buzz  
- Fiery Dance  
- Giga Drain 
- Quiver Dance  

A regular volca set. Psychic isn't too great because if you face a rotom, you or switch or rotom will trade down your volcarona. If you run giga drain, you can vs rotom setup and giga drain, so that only rotom will get defeated.

Scizor @ Choice Band  
Ability: Technician  
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD  
Adamant Nature  
- Bullet Punch  
- Assurance / Aerial Ace / Pursuit
- U-turn  
- Close Combat  

A Scizor choice band, and your answer to Blissey and Chansey. The set don't have anything crazy. Bullet Punch as a priority boosted by technician, U-turn to get out of field safety, and Close Combat to attack chansey/blissey. 4th move is a choice beetween Assurance(Better than thief because if scizor goes first, same dmg, but if opponent pivots out or use prioritys, or attack first and you survive, dmg Doubles!), Aerial Ace(Just a coverage to fight-types) and Pursuit(Dealing dmg to mons switching out.)

Edited by caioxlive13
  • 2 months later...

https://pokepast.es/bd571bef5c5debe7 - Thought I'd send a sample team that uses a core not really used often in OU, but I really enjoy this core of Mandibuzz/Hippowdon/Reuniclus/Scizor. It's only problem it has is if it's matched up with rain, hence why I think toxicroak is a great offensive fit for the team to make sure mandibuzz can maintain kingdra and so scizor and hippo can maintain kabutops. If you really wanted you could always add an amoonguss  on the roster (replace croak) but at that point this team just becomes a border stall team and I hate playing stall.  

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Lumiere said:

image.png.72fe421768434be45224ed91b2a1238e.png

image.png.101c5acce9eca11cca185dc831f16920.png

Lmk if I said I created that team or even Smurf Team... It also says alternative cuz its the version I used to play on that meta.
Most of them already changed.
Greetings. 
🙂

"By name" generally should refer to the person responsable for the team, which im refering to on the first post, which you are of neither, didnt open spoiler as it doesnt peak my interest, but im just refering to that 'by name' on huar post. One was from Malthuz as you referenced and the other is a bilibilli (chinese chat/forum) chinese HO team, no harm done just found it weird 

Edited by razimove
44 minutes ago, razimove said:

"By name" generally should refer to the person responsable for the team, which im refering to on the first post, which you are of neither, didnt open spoiler as it doesnt peak my interest, but im just refering to that 'by name' on huar post. One was from Malthuz as you referenced and the other is a bilibilli (chinese chat/forum) chinese HO team, no harm done just found it weird 

1.- I got asked to make versions of the most common teams of ladder, thats why its called "SAMPLE TEAMS" and it have the add of "ALTERNATIVE".
2.- No offense intented, but if its not of ur interest better to not comment or at least check before u say anything, I was mentioned cuz I made the paste and it was 1 of the multiple variations of the team and thats the one I played and wanted to share, even if that, I mentioned the original author in the paste, lol.

3.- The HO team is not near to be chinese, its a sample team of Smogon aswell that everyone copied... But if u want look for a chinese who says he created that team and give him credits u can do it, the original credits are for Smurf and thats why its called "Smurf Team"
4.- Try to tag AnyMalthuz or the chinese u want, Im not looking to stole credits or whatever, lol.

Hope u understand it, have a nice day.
🙂

Let's see, I'll make 2 things clear

21 hours ago, razimove said:

I like that Lumiere takes credit instead of Malthuz that created the team

1:  I asked for the sample of common equipment at that time, but I asked Lumiere to help me with the equipment issue because I had been inactive for a while and I was not as aware of them as he was at that time, I heard that the equipment belonged to Malthuz , but there were so many people spamming that I really wasn't sure where it came from, that's why I included it in the pasting so you know who it is from when you do, anyway it's my mistake for not putting it on the side, but like I said He wasn't even sure if he was really the one who did it.

6 hours ago, razimove said:

the other is a bilibilli (chinese chat/forum) chinese HO team, no harm done just found it weird 

2.- The second team is not even Chinese, it is one made by the Smurf user in smogon adapted to the mmo, so in any case you should only give credit to him, the team has existed for more than 5 years, even before that garchomp entered the game, do not give credit to anyone in this case

(https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/gliding-over-all.3576311/)

5 hours ago, caioxlive13 said:

Picking the popcorn over there. 

@Rakhmaninov, since you're the expert on doubles, what about doing a thread to doubles sample teams?

3.- I am not going to say anything against this, because I agree with what you said, but I would prefer that you comment on it in that post, this post is to leave team samples for those who want to start in the OU metagame, I do not want to fill this of other things

---------------------------

4.- I don't intend to steal credits or anything from people who create x or y team, I don't do it with bad intentions other than helping new people to be guided by what the current metagame is like, if smogon has a samples page, why not here?
Make people care more about the forum and one of those steps could be this, I see people asking me about this post and that's why I decided to revive it, I'll update it after johto, because I'm still not sure if they will put something new or significant in the meta as the one that ends the Gallade discussion, that being said, see you

Just wanted to drop a general "thank you!" for posts like this. I have several friends who recently started playing here and posts like this make it a lot easier to start into competitive. 
Is there another up to date guide for PvP regarding viable sets of Pokemon? Not necessarily team setups, just viable sets for each (say OU) mon, I just know of the not up to date and discontinued one of Orange Maniac from 2017 or whatnot