PSL MVP - We need your help!

Previously overall MVP was often taken by a player who won 6-7+ in a single tier while also taking home 'best of tier' award.

Instead, we're going to be rewarding the overall MVP as the person who is willing to sacrifice his 'best of tier' to instead play in whatever tiers his manager asks him to play because it helps his team out the most.

It should be noted. We already have best of OU/UU/NU/LC/DUB/DPP where you can play in a single tier and claim a prize, we just want to reward those that decide to sacrifice their shot at it to play other tiers because they were required to do so.

The real reason for this thread:

gbwead will be posting some questions to you guys, if you could take a look and let us know which you believe to be the strongest, that would be great. He will use this information to tune his spreadsheet formula.

Oh and the reward for MVP: Kyu OT Rotom

Q1 - Please order the following players from best to worse based on who you think should get MVP.

Use these symbols when ordering the players: < = >.

PLAYER A / (4 - 3)

OU: 1 - 0

UU: 1 - 1

NU: 1 - 1
Dubs: 1 - 1

PLAYER B / (4 - 3)

OU: 2 - 0

UU: 1 - 0

NU: 1 - 0
Dubs: 0 - 3

PLAYER C / (4 - 2)

OU: 2 - 1

PLAYER D / (4 - 2)

OU: 2 - 0

Dubs: 0 - 2

PLAYER E / (4 - 3)

OU: 4 - 0

UU: 0 - 1

NU: 0 - 1
Dubs: 0 - 1

Q2 - Please order the following players from best to worse based on who you think should get MVP.

Use these symbols when ordering the players: < = >.

PLAYER F / (2 - 5)

OU: 1 - 0

NU: 0 - 1
Dubs: 0 - 1
LC: 0 - 1
DPP: 0 - 2

PLAYER G / (2 - 5)

OU: 1 - 5

PLAYER H / (3 - 4)

OU: 1 - 1

NU: 1 - 2

PLAYER I / (3 - 4)

UU: 2 - 1

NU: 0 - 2

PLAYER J / (4 - 3)

NU: 1 - 1

Dubs: 1 - 0

PLAYER K / (4 - 3)

NU: 2 - 1

PLAYER L / (4 - 3)

UU: 3 - 2

PLAYER M / (5 - 2)

Dubs: 1 - 0

LC: 1 - 0

PLAYER N / (5 - 2)

OU: 3 - 1

UU: 2 - 1

PLAYER O / (6 - 0)

OU: 3 - 0

UU: 3 - 0

PLAYER P / (7 - 0)

OU: 7 - 0

Edited by gbwead

Q1. D = C > B = A >>> E

Amount of tiers played shouldn't matter if all the wins are in a single tier, so I view E as almost not worthy of being considered. But with the little amount of games available (7) I could understand that winning in multiple tiers will be quite a rare achievement, so this way of thinking may be wrong

Q2. Imo players F, G, H, I, P don't qualify for Overall Mvp (negative score or one tier played) 

O >> M >= N >> J >= K >= L >>>> P >>>> F, G, H, I

Q1: B=D>C>A>E.

Q2: M=O>>>>>N>>>>>K>J>L>H=I. 2-5 for F and G thats impossible for them to get mvp.

Q1: B-D 1st bcs their ratio W/L in OU-UU-NU ( despite losing in dubs ) deserve mvp imo compared to the W/L ratio of C and A even if they played and winned in multiple tier, E should have stayed OU only.

Q2: M-O 1st difficult to choose one M winned a game in every tier 5-2 score and O go 6-0 by playing 2 tier and that should be enough to qualify him for mvp overall imo maybe M deserve better for winning in litteraly every tier showing that he Can win in litteraly every tier available in this psl. Other W/L ratio per tier and overall perf compared to the number of tier played arent even close to M and O

1) B = A < E < D = C

2) P < O < M < N < J < K = L < H < I < F < G

The MVP in my eyes is the person that contributes to the team the most, hence I prioritise winrate above all else (even if it is a single tier). The next critera for me would be how flexible the player was and if they showed a heavy detriment to trying to flex to another tier (could have brought more value playing their main tier). 

Edit: Forgot to mention, if a player decides to not play a week I would count it as a loss (since they did not contribute)

Edited by Blu3Breath

Q1 : B >= D > A >= C > E

Q2 : O >> M > N > J > K > L > I > H > F > G > P 

So, overall winrate prio, then tier flexibility with the idea that having losses concentrated in 1 tier is better than multiple (since if a player is good and gets W in multiple tiers, that means they could have to take one for the team by playing a tier where there was probably no one better than them). 

Last season scores and projections:

Spoiler

Name / W-L / Score

Shelluny (if he played 7 duels) / 7-0 / 1605

Zhiko / 3-0 / 1256

KaynineXL / 1-1 / 1031

CarolML / 1-1 / 1009

DoubleJ / 1-0 / 1084

Heichicoda / 1-0 / 1077

Mkns / 1-0 / 1086

Let's say player P is the shelluny that could have been 7-0 with a score of 1605.

Let's say player O is double zhiko going 3-0 in two different tiers, so 1256 and 1256.

Let's say player M is the mutant combining KaynineXL, CarolML, DoubleJ, Heichicoda and Mkns with the following scores of 1031, 1009, 1084, 1077 and 1086.

The way to determine the mvp would be to:

1. divide the scores based on the amount of tiers in which the player has won at least once
    • if the player only won in 1 tier, divide all scores by 1000
    • if the player won in 2 tiers, divide all scores by 990
    • if the player won in 3 tiers, divide all scores by 980
    • if the player won in 4 tiers, divide all scores by 970
    • if the player won in 5 tiers, divide all scores by 960
    • if the player won in 6 tiers, divide all scores by 950
  2. multiply all scores together

Player P would get a score of 1605/1000 =1.605

Player O would get a score of 1256/990 x 1256/990 = 1.610

Player M would get a score of 1031/960 x 1009/960 x 1084/960 x 1077/960 x 1086/960 = 1.617

The final scores of these 3 players are close which imo is a good thing. There was no consensus among the voters on which of these 3 types of players would be more deserving of the MVP title, so I think it's only fair if these 3 types of player have a fighting chance to win. In the end, it would be the player who faced the best opponents that would end up winning.

I have been getting a lot of questions regarding the the MVP will be decided. I hope this post will clarify that. If you see any flaw with the way the MVP would be calculated, speak now or forever hold you peace. Your input welcomed.

Edited by gbwead

In short:

This formula above takes into account win rate(which certainly pumps up your score the most) + value of opponents + a small modifier for unique tiers played.

So if you want to win MVP. First and foremost, you need to win games. If you're able to do that while also going against the best players in multiple tiers, you probably stand a good chance at getting a high score.