Overhaul moderation and staff in general (and on the side, ban Twitch link spammers)

LmaoLOLXD

Question

Why this hasn't been done is honestly beyond me at this point.

Every now and then, mods and GMs and whatever will occasionally be around in chat to stop it and get them to shut up for at least 5 minutes but when they're not, those same content creators have like 3 or 4 alts and they constantly. Spam. The. Same. Message. Over and over and over and over. It's always advertising their Twitch Streams or YT videos. And nothing ever gets done about them. It's specifically the same few people and yet absolutely nothing gets done about link spamming in chat other than a kind little "Don't do this". Given how unbelievably quick mods and GMs can be on blocking even the most miniscule mention of other topics, i.e politics or even remotely inappropriate content, how they somehow miss the mark on the most toxic parts of chat is stunning.

In fact, I'd probably go further and just say completely revamp how moderation takes place. There's evidently a lack of moderators for chat given that you see them maybe once in a blue moon talking, let alone taking action against anything, as mentioned previously. However, it's not like even if players report it, much gets done. I've heard from people that've had tickets open for literal months over tiny issues without any single response from mods/GMs. Nothing gets done at all in regards to community wishes by those staff members and more often than not, it's other players that actually do a better job than any of them.

For example, take the Shaymin release. How did the staff do on that one? Well, it took around 24 hours for changelogs to actually be made for it. After it was revealed. How does that even happen? I'd assume you guys had at some prior knowledge as to how the whole Shaymin event worked and yet you just decided to...not release any information whilst everyone scrambled to do stuff? Why? There's literally no reason for that other than: a) Not actually being told how it works, b) Sheer laziness from the team, or c) Some sort of weird idea that letting the community figure it out was better. It was overall really odd that that even happened tbh. Yes, it was only 24 hours, but you guys somehow managed to make a whole changelog for the Lunar New Year Event for 2023 that gave a well decent summary of how it worked and then just. Didn't do anything for Shaymin. For over a day. There's no rhyme or reason behind it.

This did just start out as a criticism of just the main issue of Twitch Global spammers but it's quickly devolved into just overhauling staff in general, solely due to the fact that such a poor job is being done of moderating the right things in chat. There'll straight up be people spamming slurs in chat and no one bats an eye for around an hour until a staff member logs on, notices, and bans them. That's a clear sign that there's a lack of staff present to actually cope with this sort of thing, or just overwhelming laziness. But then, on the otherhand, someone says something with even the slightest level of inappropriateness, probably not even enough for anyone to have caught on, and the staff will sic themselves upon that user like rabid dogs and mute them for the next eon.

Other than those two things mentioned in that last paragraph, I feel like staff members are doing absolutely nothing for the community as of present. We hardly see them in chat ever interacting with the community, either being offline or just ignoring chat for the most part. When they are around, they're doing too much or too little and never just the right amount. Furthermore, the playerbase governs itself so much better than the staff ever could that it's downright embarassing for them.

As a result, I highly encourage the introduction of a few of the following changes at minimum:

• Introduce a new, more accessible layer of staff that allows for muting of players for a select time to allow for more staff to be added on to the team and in addition add to the levels of appropriate moderation in chat.
  • Loosen rules in chat, so that whilst overly explicit/gross text is removed, chat can go slightly adult if it gets to that point (why this isn't already a thing, I don't know. The vast majority of the PokeMMO playerbase is at least 16, I would have expected).
  • Make the current staff team more active in taking action on moderation.
  • Increase staff interaction with the community to lessen the complete mysteriousness and lack of information going between the two groups.
  • Actually work on changelogs and distributing appropriate information to the community when needed instead of keeping it a complete mystery all the time.

Maybe these are just how a select few in the community feel, but I definitely know that that population is growing exponentially given how poorly some recent events have been received and how annoyed some people are over the complete inactivity of staff at times.

I think it should also be noted that these changes are completely within the realm of expectations. I've seen Pixelmon Minecraft servers with thousands of players do all of the things I've stated, plus more, with even less staff than the ones currently present on PokeMMO. That was with several thousand people and considerably less staff present. PokeMMO has apparently around 23,000+ daily players in January 2023. You absolutely can afford to do much better given the playerbase.

TL;DR: Do some of the following: Bring new staff in, add new staff layers, loosen rules in chat whilst keeping it more appropriate, make the team more active, increase interaction and actively work on resources for the community to use, as well as banning Twitch chat spammers on the side.

Because we all know how a lot of the playerbase feels about staff at the moment.

3 answers to this question

In fact, I'd like to further update this by stating that you guys have almost, ALMOST got it as well. There's always a decent amount of staff on to verify the validity of event Pokemon in PvEs. So it's clear that there's not exactly a complete void of staff activity. You've managed to completely manage events to a decent (there's still lots of questions that go completely unanswered by the supposed-to-be-helpful-to-community staff when events happen) degree, so there seems to be nothing stopping you from making these changes and actually managing the game better.

I don't know, I think the current moderation is working fine. I've had good experiences with the staff, about spammers and mud's I think it's better to ignore them, since you said they are children, the truth is sometimes what they post makes me laugh, a liberal talk, that's what makes it fun, to a community , freedom of expression. I am not a youtuber or a creator of content on twitch, much less I am a childish person in chat, I have always behaved like an adult, but nevertheless I have a lot of fun with the users of channel 1, channel 2, global chat, etc.

We always appreciate the feedback from our community and we do our best always in all tasks we have in staff, which aren't only chat moderation.

The staff is made by volunteers who have their lives to worry about as well, so we do not require them to be online all day and they are allowed to take breaks. Sometimes it will happen that coincidentally no one will be watching that specific chat, only other languages, but sometimes they are just around without participating on chat, which they're also allowed to do when they feel like it. This means that it isn't just because no staff is present on chat that the chat isn't being moderated, and I am sure you know that well, since you have a total of 3 punishments in your account for disrespecting our Code of Conduct.

There'll straight up be people spamming slurs in chat and no one bats an eye for around an hour until a staff member logs on, notices, and bans them. That's a clear sign that there's a lack of staff present to actually cope with this sort of thing, or just overwhelming laziness. But then, on the otherhand, someone says something with even the slightest level of inappropriateness, probably not even enough for anyone to have caught on, and the staff will sic themselves upon that user like rabid dogs and mute them for the next eon.

[GLOBAL][EN] Nycu : I once watched a FILTHY TROLL put his filthy FINGerS. On MY body. I WAS VIOLATED.

[GLOBAL][EN] Nycu : [Big Nugget] They made a PICTURE of my big NUGGETS!

Found this in your chat logs as soon as I opened it, I did not look further but I'd bet there's more. You received 3 punishments, 2 for inappropriate chat and 1 for political discussions. You might judge that this wasn't worthy of a punishment, but it's mentioned in our Code of Conduct and our moderators are instructed to punish this behavior, which they did correctly.

As I mentioned, we can't always be present and moderating all chats, as we have a very big community and our staff is made by volunteers, so we rely on reports from players to also help with this.

I see you have made zero reports from your account, yet you want to say we do nothing when a report is made. I am not sure about what your claim is based on, but we always answer to all reports as soon as we can, and the only reports that have waited for an answer were the ones which required a big investigation, yet we answered all of them. All reports are dealt with accordingly to our Code of Conduct, which means some of them will be denied and closed if the reported player did not break any rules or if the claims made on the report cannot be confirmed.

For example, take the Shaymin release. How did the staff do on that one? Well, it took around 24 hours for changelogs to actually be made for it. After it was revealed. How does that even happen? I'd assume you guys had at some prior knowledge as to how the whole Shaymin event worked and yet you just decided to...not release any information whilst everyone scrambled to do stuff? Why?

You assumed wrong. The only ones who have any information about new content are the developers, the staff members don't get privileged information. Even so, they decided to learn as much as they could in the shortest period possible to gather the information for the community. I don't understand the reason of your complaint, they did nothing wrong and definitely weren't lazy.

Lastly,

Loosen rules in chat, so that whilst overly explicit/gross text is removed, chat can go slightly adult if it gets to that point (why this isn't already a thing, I don't know. The vast majority of the PokeMMO playerbase is at least 16, I would have expected).

We have no interest whatsoever in doing that so you can talk about your big nuggets and rape. The game is pg13 and will continue to be so younger players can continue to enjoy the game. If you wish to talk about more adult stuff, you're free to do so in your team or in whisper or link with friends. I am sure you can control yourself in public chats in a pokemon game.

That said, if you or anyone reading this has any complaints about a specific staff member or how we handle our policies, you're always welcome to message any SGM about it, and if there is an issue we will do our best to figure things out if needed. If you still would like to discuss an issue about our staff after my answer, feel free to contact us directly. We would also appreciate if you would contact us on Player Reports about this spam you saw mentioning the name of the spammers.

Thank you for your time.