*Art Contest* Build your own Pokemon Gym - Hoenn (20th April - 20th May)

d9504b2f8082f1ea302b2c85b5cf28a9.png

The Petalburg Gym in Hoenn was put up for sale and trainers across the region were shocked by the news. The Gym's leader, Norman, had long been considered one of the most respected and accomplished gym leaders in Hoenn, and rumors began to circulate as to why he would consider selling his gym. Whispers of a scandal and Norman's involvement with a shadowy organization fueled speculation about the true reasons behind the sale. Despite the controversy, the sale went ahead and you managed to scrape together enough money to purchase the GTL listing, ushering in a new era of Pokemon battling in Petalburg.

Explanation:

This creative contest requires you to design your own Pokemon Gym in the Hoenn region to replace the current one in Petalburg city. You are encouraged to use different creative elements, drawing, mapping, spriting, creative writing, competitive team building.

The art work does not have to be perfect, it is simply there to give us a visual interpretation of your ideas. For example, rough sketches of a gym leader is better than no visual representation at all, as it helps judges understand what you are trying to portray.

Below are the requirements of an entry, ultimately how you decide to present it is down to you but the more effort you put in, the higher your chance is of winning. I wish you the best of luck, have fun and don't hesitate in asking me questions if you have any!

Entry Requirements:

• A Gym Leader; Will you be the new gym leader or will you create a whole new character? Make sure you include important details such as name, age, description. There are many ways you could portray them to the judges; drawing, sprite work, creative writing (a diary entry for example), it's entirely your choice. 
  • Gym Type; As with all Gyms, there has to be a specific typing theme. (Example; Dark, Psychic, Normal ect).
  • Gym Badge; What is the name of your badge and what does it look like?
  • Gym Layout; This will require some mapping on your part as you will need to show what the inside of your gym looks like. Most gyms have a puzzle to complete to get the the leader, what puzzle will your gym have? Where will the gym trainers waiting to battle challengers be placed? Did you make changes to the outside? Demolish and rebuild? Show us drawings if anything on the outside changed! Those talented with map making and sprite work could even visually represent their gym that way but a hand drawn plan is fine.
  • Gym Leader's Team; You will be required to make two teams for the gym leader to use. One will be the team used for first time challengers and the other will be for those brave enough to ask for a rematch after defeating the leader. The first team should have a minimum of 3 Pokemon and a maximum of 5, their levels should be between 42 and 50. The second team should consist of 6 Pokemon at level 100. All Pokemon used by the gym leader should share the same typing as the gym. You should only use what is realistically available to gym leaders in the game, this includes legendaries. You should detail moves, natures and EVs for each Pokemon, feel free to explain any strategy behind your team. Following these set of rules to maximize your score.
  • Gym Leader Script; Every good gym leader needs a sassy catchphrase or two for any potential challengers. Take Blaine for example, who says "Hah! I am Blaine, the red-hot Leader of Cinnabar Gym! My fiery Pokémon are all ready with intense heat! They incinerate all challengers! Hah! You better have Burn Heal!" You will need to come up with 3 phrases; one for the leader to say when a duel starts, one that they will say when defeated and one they will say if they win a battle.
  • Gym Trainers; Your gym must have at least 2 trainers placed in your gym. What trainer class are they? What are their names? What are their teams? You only need to outline one team for each trainer, they can have up to 6 Pokemon on their team but their levels must be capped at 45. You don't want them to be stronger than your gym leader!

Rules:

1. All entries must include your in game name.
  2. All entries must be your own original work, any plagiarised entries will be disqualified.
  3. All entries must meet the requirements of our Code of Conduct.
  4. All entries must be made in this thread.
  5. Your entry must meet all of the requirements listed above but you are welcome to add any extra content if you like. 
  6. Only one entry is allowed per user. You can edit your entry after posting it if you'd like, as long as it's before the end of the time for submission.

Submission Dates:

Entries accepted from:

Thursday 20th April 12AM UTC

Until

Saturday 20th May 11:59PM UTC

Judges:

KaynineXL

Shadow

Aybel

Cosmooth

DeusBruno

415b0738a4a61f6ab6a9b6eed1ba3ff5.png 1st Place Prize

412ab419c184adcb15e5d6e9637d71d7.gifteddiursa.gif412ab419c184adcb15e5d6e9637d71d7.gif

GIFT Shiny Teddiursa Lv. 1

Your choice of nature, 2 moves, with 3 selectable IVs + 3x28 IVs

&

1,000 Reward Points

9efde86b8ecb1270d3da7f78dc656657.png 2nd Place Prize

500 Reward Points

d06d221b538688a420279d9d2181710f.png 3rd-4th Place Prize

250 Reward Points

The prizes will be sent to the winners a few days after the event

Huge shout out to Noad for the event idea and a lot of the details I stole borrowed.

48 minutes ago, KaynineXL said:

You can utilize mons up until Unova.

Now how am I supposed to beat up plebs with my ubers team and speed boost blaziken/j 😞 

Jokes aside, does this mean we have to exclude fairy types for this challenge?

Edited by Bunnaiii
On 4/17/2023 at 6:56 AM, Farbarbalu said:

Is there any specific way that's better to submit our entry or as long as its replying to this post is it fair game?

That’s the beauty of this event. There is no real way that’s better. I really look forward to seeing how everyone displays their gym. As long as it’s in this thread after the submit date and before the end.

Heck.. Could even build your gym on Minecraft if you want. (Ok I’d have to speak to my judges about that one haha)

4 hours ago, NohanSD said:

If we create a character does they have to be in the Hawaian theme since Hoenn is taking place their?

You characters(the leader, trainers and the guy who always stands at the front) can be any character creation you like. Could even be yourself if you want 🙂

In regard to original art, can people use:

1). AI generated art 

2). Transforming art in a software like photoshop to where it changes the original meaning of the image under "Fair Use: What is Transformative?" https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/fair-use-what-transformative.html

3). Use customized avatars from a game where you can create your own character?

I saw the joke about making a map in Minecraft, and it made me curious, since technically the Minecraft assets are copyrighted, but if you transform the Minecraft assets into your own creation, you can publish that.

PS - Great idea for a contest! Excited to see all of the entries! 

2 hours ago, PhantumNem said:

How do I submit again? Do I just post everything here? 

You can just post everything on here. Remember to post within the submission dates! (tomorrow)

Submission Dates:

Entries accepted from:

Thursday 20th April 12AM UTC

Until

Saturday 20th May 11:59PM UTC

1 hour ago, TheresaMisu said:

In regard to original art, can people use:

1). AI generated art 

2). Transforming art in a software like photoshop to where it changes the original meaning of the image under "Fair Use: What is Transformative?" https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/fair-use-what-transformative.html

3). Use customized avatars from a game where you can create your own character?

I saw the joke about making a map in Minecraft, and it made me curious, since technically the Minecraft assets are copyrighted, but if you transform the Minecraft assets into your own creation, you can publish that.

PS - Great idea for a contest! Excited to see all of the entries! 

AI Generated art: Discussion on-going with judges.

Transforming art: I think is a little too broad and I'm not educated enough on the matter to say when it's fair use. I'd say no to this.

Customized avatars: If you want to use sprites from PokeMMO like your in-game character, I'd be fine with that. As for using other games character creation, that's a no.

I spoke with my judges and we decided you can actually build a gym in Minecraft if you like.

Let's just have some fun with this and see what people can do! 🙂

11 minutes ago, KaynineXL said:

AI Generated art: No to AI art. It eliminates the fun of the event imo and it will never portray it exactly how you envision it.

I think allowing AI art could potentially give people who don't have a ton of artistic talent an opportunity to be creative without using the work of others. I have spent all day working on a concept using AI art, building teams, and designing a backstory that I was very happy with and I am disappointed that I won't be able to use it. Rather than try to present it in a less finished way it is likely I just won't make a submission. If a contest happens again, I would really be interested to see if this is reconsidered.

24 minutes ago, TTHOnyx said:

I think allowing AI art could potentially give people who don't have a ton of artistic talent an opportunity to be creative without using the work of others. I have spent all day working on a concept using AI art, building teams, and designing a backstory that I was very happy with and I am disappointed that I won't be able to use it. Rather than try to present it in a less finished way it is likely I just won't make a submission. If a contest happens again, I would really be interested to see if this is reconsidered.

I understand your points. I'll speak with my judges and see what we decide to do ^^

I'll update you as soon as I can 🙂

1 minute ago, KaynineXL said:

I understand your points. I'll speak with my judges and see what we decide to do ^^

I'll update you as soon as I can 🙂

Thank you. I really appreciate you guys at least taking a second look at this regardless of the decision.

Hello, how specific does the typing of the gym need to be? Gyms in PokeMMO can be a little out of typing to say the least, is my gym allowed the same freedom? I kind of want to wrap it around more of a theme rather than a typing.

Also, as for the trainer classes, should I pick from a list of already established classes or can I just name my own?

Also also, does lore matter? Should I avoid anything involving in game lore?

Thank you for any answer 🙂

Edited by peggysweets
7 hours ago, toddkman said:

Can we use Pokémon with hidden abilities that don't exist yet(in pokemmo)?

Please use HA that exist in PokeMMO, you should pretty much use the resources other gym leaders have.

6 hours ago, KikouSlayer said:

Can we submit our entry in another language than English? Super fair if not, but I do have better writing skills in French!

Thanks.

If you can post in English, that would be great since most judges are english speaking. We do have a french speaking judge so if you wanted to put a french version in a spoiler, he might like to see it!

6 hours ago, peggysweets said:

Hello, how specific does the typing of the gym need to be? Gyms in PokeMMO can be a little out of typing to say the least, is my gym allowed the same freedom? I kind of want to wrap it around more of a theme rather than a typing.

Also, as for the trainer classes, should I pick from a list of already established classes or can I just name my own?

Also also, does lore matter? Should I avoid anything involving in game lore?

Thank you for any answer 🙂

In the post it says you “should” stick to the same typing, it doesn’t mean you have to. If you have one or two that goes outside the box but sticks with the theme of your gym, I wouldn’t mark you down on that.

I don’t understand your trainer classes question. Are you asking if you have to pick from trainers that exist in the game already or make your own?

You can certainly involve lore in your entry!

10 hours ago, TTHOnyx said:

Thank you. I really appreciate you guys at least taking a second look at this regardless of the decision.

Hey! So we have decided to restrict any art from AI. It’s just too much work that any other player would have to work hard to produce. Sorry about that!