Trick Room with Mixed Dnite - Rate or Roast.

Alright so I really wanted to use mixed dnite for a while, but couldnt really find a set that worked for me, so instead I just made a whole team around it.

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Trait: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 156 SDef
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Stealth Rock
- Recover

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Trait: Download
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 Def
Quiet Nature
- Tri Attack
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Trick Room

Reuniclus @ Life Orb
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 SAtk / 160 HP / 96 Def
Quiet Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Trick Room

Conkeldurr @ Flame Orb
Trait: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 224 HP / 32 SDef
Brave Nature
- Mach Punch
- Close Combat
- Ice Punch
- Facade

Xatu @ Leftovers
Trait: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 192 SDef / 64 Spe
Calm Nature
- Heat Wave
- Teleport
- Trick Room
- Roost

Dragonite @ Life Orb
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 HP / 252 SAtk
Quiet Nature
- Draco Meteor
- ExtremeSpeed
- Fire Blast
- Superpower

Note that-
Toxic Orb does less damage in the first 3 moves than Flame Orb, and considering that I will get 3 moves at best with conk in TR it is a logical choice.
Edit: Gen 8 damage followed here => Flame orb does less damage than Toxic orb, ty ciaox for informing me.
Edit 2: Heat wave one Xatu > Air slash

Edited by Merth

When running Dragonite, it is fairly important to have something to deal with hazards. Xatu may be able to cater to that with defog, but it is also quite weak to stealth rocks. Finding a good pivot that can deal with hazards will benefit your team greatly imo. It’s also worth noting that trick room teams often have a weakness to status moves like toxic so keep that in mind! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/17/2023 at 3:18 AM, thenathanfred said:

When running Dragonite, it is fairly important to have something to deal with hazards. Xatu may be able to cater to that with defog, but it is also quite weak to stealth rocks. Finding a good pivot that can deal with hazards will benefit your team greatly imo. It’s also worth noting that trick room teams often have a weakness to status moves like toxic so keep that in mind! 

All fair points, but my game plan is to play around that and use Xatu's Magic Bounce, to deny rocks atleast for the start.(Lead with xatu, Trick room and then hardswitch/teleport). Same goes for status moves which one usually see on passive mons. Xatu will get worn down easily tho, even with roost, so yes in the longer games it can be a problem. However I have just accepted that as a fault of my team.
Thanks for the feedback :)

1 hour ago, Merth said:

All fair points, but my game plan is to play around that and use Xatu's Magic Bounce, to deny rocks atleast for the start.(Lead with xatu, Trick room and then hardswitch/teleport). Same goes for status moves which one usually see on passive mons. Xatu will get worn down easily tho, even with roost, so yes in the longer games it can be a problem. However I have just accepted that as a fault of my team.
Thanks for the feedback 🙂

just remove xatu, if you want a bouncer, espeon is the superior one, with that said, for a team like yours that is very weak to scizor, neither is the solution. 

11 hours ago, razimove said:

just remove xatu, if you want a bouncer, espeon is the superior one, with that said, for a team like yours that is very weak to scizor, neither is the solution. 

For my team, I found that Xatu is the better bouncer, because of its access to Heat Wave (I put that move in my team but forgot to update it here) and its resistance to grass which my gastrodon really hates. Heatwave helps me to check Scizor And Ferro, while maintaining coverage over mons checked with Air Slash (Breloom,Amoongus,Serp).
Apart from that you are welcome to suggest any other mon in the spot of Xatu.

i really like Xatu but im not sure if it fits your needs.

252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Xatu: 114-135 (66.2 - 78.4%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Technician Breloom Rock Tomb vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Xatu: 152-180 (88.3 - 104.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

while xatu never kills it from full 

0 SpA Xatu Heat Wave vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Breloom: 102-122 (75.5 - 90.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Life Orb Garchomp Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 192+ SpD Xatu: 101-121 (58.7 - 70.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

you cant freely switch into the most present rocker nor can you afford to stay in and set trickroom.

I would suggest to you to swap Gastrodon with Jellicent:

Jellicent @ Leftovers
Level: 50
Relaxed Nature
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 244 HP / 244 Def / 20 SpD
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Scald/Hex/Shadowball
- Trick Room
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover

gives you another trickroom setter and improves your matchup vs scizor alot. depending on the ev spread it also functions as a check to Hydreigon/Conkeldurr/Darmanitan/Gliscor/Gyarados/Gallade/Excadrill/Mamoswine/Infernape and so on.

That Jellicent is also good vs rainteams since it walls Kabutops and never gets 2HKO by dragon pulse from Kingdra.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Kingdra Dragon Pulse vs. 244 HP / 20 SpD Jellicent: 91-108 (44.1 - 52.4%)

Edited by CaptnBaklava

I have considered all of the above points mentioned and here is how I plan to deal with them-
Note: My plan with Xatu is to use it as a substitute for Bronzong, with the added benefit of denying free rocks at the very start of the game.

Scizor- Xatu is not supposed to switch INTO Scizor, rather stay IN on Scizor hence HeatWave. (Gastrodon can take a few stray hits from Scizor if need be)

Breloom- I do struggle with breloom, especially if it decides to predict my Xatu switch, However 57% Brelooms runs Sash so OHKO wouldnt mean anything without rocks, and with rocks I with ensure that breloom cant come in again. (Tho it will be a problem if it predicts)

Garchomp- I believe there was a slight mis calc on your part (Maybe lvl 50 and/or 130 bp draco/-2 spa)
252 SpA Life Orb Garchomp Draco Meteor over 2 turns vs. 252 HP / 192+ SpD Xatu: 153-183 (88.9 - 106.3%) -- 31.3% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery.
I plan to set up Trick Room turn 1 and teleport/hard switching on turn 2 essentially playing the role of a TR bronzong while denying rocks.

Jellicent is a good mon for this team, true, but the utility provided by gastrodon seems more valuable to me. Shutting down rain and rotom, while also setting up rocks is very important imo. 
However if you can suggest a different defensive core to run along with Jellicent I am all ears. (Like Jellicent + X mon instead of Xatu)

Also also thanks for ur feedback