Make Egg Moves Great Again

realmadrid1809

Question

Breeding a comp Pokémon only to notice that you're missing a useful egg move has to be one of the worst feelings. Not only will you have to rebreed the whole thing, sometimes you will also have to search for a long line of matching egg groups to even get the move.

Gen IX has a simple solution for this:

The Mirror Herb!

Bulbapedia description:

In battle

Mirror Herb will copy an opponent's stat increase once. For instance, if the opponent uses Belly Drum, the Mirror Herb will activate and raise the holder's Attack stage to +6 as well.

Outside of battle

In Pokémon Scarlet and Violet, if the player has a picnic with one Pokémon that holds a Mirror Herb and has an empty move slot, and another Pokémon that knows a move the first Pokémon can learn as an Egg Move, after the picnic the first Pokémon will learn that Egg Move, even if there is no matching Egg Group. This does not consume the Mirror Herb.

Not only does this item have an interesting in-battle effect but it would also make egg moves much more accessible. Of course instead of doing a picnic you would have to place your Pokemon at the daycare. Alternatively you could add an npc that makes you choose 2 pokemon (the learning one and the one with the egg move) and asks for a Mirror Herb in exchange.

Adding this item to the bp shop at a reasonable price would only make sense!

4 answers to this question

40 minutes ago, realmadrid1809 said:

Breeding a comp Pokémon only to notice that you're missing a useful egg move has to be one of the worst feelings. Not only will you have to rebreed the whole thing, sometimes you will also have to search for a long line of matching egg groups to even get the move.

Gen IX has a simple solution for this:

The Mirror Herb!

Bulbapedia description:

In battle

Mirror Herb will copy an opponent's stat increase once. For instance, if the opponent uses Belly Drum, the Mirror Herb will activate and raise the holder's Attack stage to +6 as well.

Outside of battle

In Pokémon Scarlet and Violet, if the player has a picnic with one Pokémon that holds a Mirror Herb and has an empty move slot, and another Pokémon that knows a move the first Pokémon can learn as an Egg Move, after the picnic the first Pokémon will learn that Egg Move, even if there is no matching Egg Group. This does not consume the Mirror Herb.

Not only does this item have an interesting in-battle effect but it would also make egg moves much more accessible. Of course instead of doing a picnic you would have to place your Pokemon at the daycare. Alternatively you could add an npc that makes you choose 2 pokemon (the learning one and the one with the egg move) and asks for a Mirror Herb in exchange.

Adding this item to the bp shop at a reasonable price would only make sense!

I have some great news for you, it looks like this item may be planned. I say this because the Development Team has added "Metal Sound" as an Egg Move for Voltorb in the recent Updates.

a70b01d7e4e8c8985514bd26e8194de6.png

As I result, I added it in my Egg Move Index.

99c5c961ef1bda3fec4d46b20a55fe6f.png

38 minutes ago, Bestfriends said:

I have some great news for you, it looks like this item may be planned. I say this because the Development Team has added "Metal Sound" as an Egg Move for Voltorb in the recent Updates.

a70b01d7e4e8c8985514bd26e8194de6.png

As I result, I added it in my Egg Move Index.

99c5c961ef1bda3fec4d46b20a55fe6f.png

Good eye! It would make sense for other future egg moves too. Older competitive mons could stay relevant this way if they get a good new egg move

3 minutes ago, Gengarcello said:

Mirror Herb but... you can find it by hunting Bronzors with a lot of rarer chance: ~2% 

8ad16b21b4ad2392f074d935f07fae78.png

That is the Metal Coat, but those are useful evolution items.

2 minutes ago, realmadrid1809 said:

Good eye! It would make sense for other future egg moves too. Older competitive mons could stay relevant this way if they get a good new egg move

I certainly hope so. Voltorb and Electrode having Metal Sound would make them much better.