Random Battle Advice for Beginers?

Hey y'all, I am relatively new player trying to get in to pvp through randoms. I was wondering if anybody had any advice, because I cant seem to get my win rate higher than random chance. Right now, I am sitting at just above coin flip odds, and it is really frustrating. What kind of strategies and techniques can I be using to score more consistent wins from unfavorable matchups? Is randoms even worth the time? Please help!

Randoms is the best tier for beginners my advice is to make sure you read all of your mons stats and moves before starting the match so you can begin to formulate a plan. Every team in randoms is built to be played a certain way and if you can identify how its meant to be played it will become a lot easier  look for setup moves like curse or quiber dance and try to figure out a good time to try and use them to sweep, figure out who your wish user or healer ect. If yiu are struggling in the tier its likely due to not undertanding the fundamentals of team structure and how moves work. If that is the case playing randoms will help you learn hoe to play better but if you jump into ou your gonna struggle just the same but youll have to  pay to build a team and  if your no good at teambuilding its gonna be a waste. Also dont worry about your winrate, at this point its probably more benificial for you to lose than win anyway because you may not even know why you won in the firstplace  and losing to good players will help you understand other players  strategies and how to beat them. Just have fun and try to take mental notes when you get beat breally badly and if you  are really worried about rank just play casuals 

Randoms are NOT good for competitive. It is a casual format. This guy is talking about win rate, strats and techniques. Which are pretty irrelevant in randoms, all you need to do is memorise movesets... (I know because I know many randoms players who have a massive spreadsheet just with the sets listed lol) This isn't a complex strategy.

My advice would be get into OU, don't worry about teambuilding right away; just look at what tournament winners are using. Check multiple R1's of theirs, if you see a team pop up multiple times just copy that. Since it's a reliable team which they trust to win regularly. It's what every new player does, dip your toes into ranked and learn the metagame. Once you feel comfortable with that team copy two more.

When you can use 3 copied teams correctly you should have a diverse and decent teampool, NOW is when you start to teambuild. Utilise the knowledge you picked up from these games with the copied teams, and pick a mon and build around it. Think of basic typing fundamentals and archetypes which you have seen (stall, balance, HO etc) , (you can also check smogon for this) The start will be rough, your teams will suck. But it really shouldn't take long due to the fact you have already picked up a decent amount of knowledge & experience with the copied teams.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.