GenV Sturdy (ability)

ThinkNice

Question

Basically the ability: Sturdy is absolutely useless right now. The ability prevent that OHKO moves like: Horn Drill and Fissure OHKO your Pokemon. But these moves are already banned from every tournament (standard clauses), hence making the ability have no use. In gen V they made it that Sturdy functions like a Focus Sash preventing that a Pokemon can be brought from 100% HP to 0% HP. For example:

Rhydon (Sturdy) is in play and faces a Magneton with Hidden Power Grass, now this Grass move will with no doubt (assuming a reasonable power) bring down the Rhydon. But because Rhydon has Sturdy he hangs on with 1HP.
If the Pokemon with Sturdy was even slightly damaged, with Spikes for example, the ability doesn't work. Making it a balanced ability IMO. Only 100% - 0% is prevented.

Pros:
- Adds a little to the comp scene.
- Making the ability useful.

Cons:
- Ew gen V (??)
- Gen V mechanic in a, for now, gen III game.

[quote name='Orangeslash' timestamp='1367759536' post='321167']
I use it frequently with hazard pokemon, like Forretress, so even though they're slow, they're always guaranteed to at least get one hazard off. [size=6]I support it[/size], [color=#fff0f5]but don't take that to mean that it's getting implemented :P[/color]
[/quote]
DON'T WORRY GUYS WE HAVE GAME MASTER SUPPORT!

[spoiler]JK I know it's no guarantee if CM's or GM's support a suggestion, happened many times ^_^[/spoiler]

[quote name='ThinkNice' timestamp='1367759934' post='321171']
DON'T WORRY GUYS WE HAVE GAME MASTER SUPPORT!

[spoiler]JK I know it's no guarantee if CM's or GM's support a suggestion, happened many times ^_^[/spoiler]
[/quote]

Like when Gizmo guaranteed other region starters in the slots, for example.

Normally I wouldn't support putting a mechanic from Gen V like this into the game, but I really want my Golem to be able to attack for once.

[quote name='KlauStaR' timestamp='1367763383' post='321221']
why dont we implement all gen v abilitys while we are at it...
[/quote]
Sturdy was already in the game in gen III. Adding addiotional abilities that come in later gens would be silly. Sturdy feels incomplete and they knew that and changed it in gen V (finally). It won't be gamebreaking at all.

[quote name='Winterbrah' timestamp='1367763847' post='321233']
+three fiddy

But i'm not 100% sure we want something like Skarmory or Forretress to a lesser extent with a buff from Gen V Sturdy mechanics.. It's great for Golem and Steelix who often don't get much love though.
[/quote]
All they get is one free turn to set up hazards or just get out of there. Ofcourse you could use Rest on Skarmory predicting an Overheat and dropping the SpA of the attacker, but that would mean using a Chesto Berry early and so on.

[quote name='MrMasonMan' timestamp='1367796119' post='321991']
I'd rather keep it more of the gen 3 metagame where sturdy doesn't work like that. If that's the logic we use, then we might as well implement all gen 5 abilities and do the physical/special split now.

Personal opinion though.
[/quote]

I thought it had been confirmed that the battle mechanics arent going to change, even when we eventually cross over into the Gen4 and beyond?

[quote name='GymLeaderGreen' timestamp='1367796605' post='322002']
I thought it had been confirmed that the battle mechanics arent going to change, even when we eventually cross over into the Gen4 and beyond?
[/quote]

[spoiler]We're getting a bit off-topic, but afaik the official word is that if/when we eventually reach gen 4 we will have the physical/special split[/spoiler]

The main reasons I see here are to make it usable and gimme. While certain mechanics were made to replicate Black 2/White 2 (such as Beat Up), I think this will effect the game too heavily and completely unessesarily (I can image the Custap Skarmory leads)

Yeah it also makes pokemon like Golem and Forretress get a free undeserved explosion. Say someone sets up a sweeper with a bunch of calm minds, then before they sweep your team you bring in Golem and take the Surf and Explosion them back due to Sturdy. You could argue later generations are like this, but I personally think if we have a gen 3 battle system, things like this shouldn't be added until we change to the later systems.

Pokemon that would benefit from it off the top of my head: Forretress and Golem exploding on things; Skarmory getting a Roar or Chesto Rest to stall; Donphan getting a free Rapid Spin; Skarmory and Forretress getting a free extra layer of Spikes.

[quote name='MrMasonMan' timestamp='1367882266' post='323562']
Yeah it also makes pokemon like Golem and Forretress get a free undeserved explosion. Say someone sets up a sweeper with a bunch of calm minds, then before they sweep your team you bring in Golem and take the Surf and Explosion them back due to Sturdy. You could argue later generations are like this, but I personally think if we have a gen 3 battle system, things like this shouldn't be added until we change to the later systems.

Pokemon that would benefit from it off the top of my head: Forretress and Golem exploding on things; Skarmory getting a Roar or Chesto Rest to stall; Donphan getting a free Rapid Spin; Skarmory and Forretress getting a free extra layer of Spikes.
[/quote]

Lettuce not forget the dreaded Salac Berry Magneton.

[quote name='MrMasonMan' timestamp='1367882266' post='323562']

[/quote]
It's not an undeserved Explosion. What this does is just raise the prediction level you would need. You have a Starmie lead vs a Golem? Well maybe it will explode or EQ because it has Sturdy. I can switch to Gengar for that or another strong wall/ghost to take the hit. You shouldn't set up Calm Minds anyway if you don't know the majority of your opponents team, especially in a 6v6. That's called timing your setups right and what Sturdy does is just raise the bar in [b]some situations[/b]. Forretress will most likely be moved up to OU anyway if he gets the gen V Sturdy so that makes it easier to deal with him.

Then you also have that Pokémon with only Sturdy as ability, basically have no ability. Donphan, Forretress and Shuckle fall under this category and we can also set Skarmory there, because when does someone use Mud Slap or Sand Attack on a Skarmory? Yeah you could say Starmies ability doesn't work yet either but Starmie has Lum Berry to compensate, do we have Focus Sash? No. Ofcourse Pokémon benefit from it, that's why it's an ability, because they benefit from it.

I see what you're saying, but it's just adding an extra level of prediction that isn't usually present in this complete gen 3 meta. Why should we not let Alakazam learn Explosion so your opponent can think twice about leaving Blissey in against it, or give Aerodactyl Focus Punch?

Aipom doesn't have usable abilities, nor does Linoone. A few abilities are obviously still not currently working as well.

i think we should wait until all gen 3 abilities are implemented before doing anything special to sturdy. The best argument for getting gen 5 sturdy would be because we already have some later gen mechanics, eg. the light ball.