OT needs more discussion.

AzizFTW

You can, but Religion can help to reinforce it at a young age. That's the experience I've had with many of my close friends who were brought up in semi-religious families that went to Church consistently when they were younger, and are barely religious if at all now that they've gotten older. Helped define basic morals, then when they got older and could think for themselves, they decided what parts of their religious upbringing were worth keeping and which weren't. That's the kind of modern individualistic religious approach I respect, and it's about as far away from anything having to do with Organized Religion as possible.

And that's exactly it. If someone follows a religion because they were told to rather than decided by choice then they aren't doing it for themselves. I guess religion would help reinforce morals as they have good examples of why said morals should be reinforced. Eventually later though it's up to them to decide if those morals are relevant or not.

Im not like a lot of my family. I tend to disagree with a lot of their beliefs. That being said, my immediate family(wife and son) have everything to do with the way I am now. Before I had them I had little ambition or drive to do much. Now I have people other than myself to support and work hard for. I was always closer to my friends anyways, but I talk to my family somewhat. I really only see most of them on holidays though. My dad is a narcissist and an alcoholic, so I don't have much of anything to do with him. I see my mother and youngest sister every other week or so. I never see my grandparents that are still alive. I prefer a small circle of people that don't cause drama, but most my family doesn't fit that mold so I don't bother with most of them.

Religion is good if done right, but there is a lot more people who are more power hungry and twist religions into bad names. Like I am a Christian but I wouldn't go and preach stuff to people cause people are fine in what they believe in. I understand the hate and shit for religion cause a lot of people are just bad examples in each of their own beliefs and is understandable why atheism is becoming more and more leading as belief. I mean, why believe something that you cannot prove scientifically? It's a question I always debate myself each day.

Religion I think is the cause of most of the hate, wars, and ignorance of the world. Not only does it hold back types of science which could advance our species, but it also inspires insane laws like the anti-homosexual laws in Russia. It's the entire reason people in the Middle East kill each other, and it causes people to neglect medical science for faith. Sure it gives people a sense of security for after death, and sure in some ways things like "the bible" could be used as a guidebook to how to live your life. But over the years, and from what I learned in History, all I see is Religion being this hemorrhoid on the asshole of society, past and present.~ 

Religion I think is the cause of most of the hate, wars, and ignorance of the world. Not only does it hold back types of science which could advance our species, but it also inspires insane laws like the anti-homosexual laws in Russia. It's the entire reason people in the Middle East kill each other, and it causes people to neglect medical science for faith. Sure it gives people a sense of security for after death, and sure in some ways things like "the bible" could be used as a guidebook to how to live your life. But over the years, and from what I learned in History, all I see is Religion being this hemorrhoid on the asshole of society, past and present.~

Notice that it's organized religion not religion alone that causes problems. Because organized religion has a power to it most people hungry for power abuses it and uses it as a scapegoat for their harmful tactics. So it isn't religion that causes hatred it's peoples sense of power and being accepted within a group that uses religion as a means for their actions.

Tl;Dr read playguuus post.

Notice that it's organized religion not religion alone that causes problems. Because organized religion has a power to it most people hungry for power abuses it and uses it as a scapegoat for their harmful tactics. So it isn't religion that causes hatred it's peoples sense of power and being accepted that uses religion as a means for their actions.

Tl;Dr read playguuus post.

It's more than just organized religion, for instance Satanist typically hate Christians. All religions to some degree inspire hatred. 

It's more than just organized religion, for instance Satanist typically hate Christians. All religions to some degree inspire hatred. 

Doesn't take religion to inspire hate. An individual inspired to hatred by his own personal religion could just as easily be inspired to hatred through a TV show, or somebody saying something nasty to him. At that point it's just his individual beliefs and attitude.

Hatred through indoctrination on the other hand is what we see a lot of when it comes to the Middle East, laws like what were just passed in Russia and policies that downplay investments into scientific research, previous violent events like the Crusades, etc, and that comes from Organized Religion like the Catholic Church, high ranking Ayatollahs/Imams in the Middle East, or comparable Religious Leaders.

A satanist does not need to hate Christians, but in organized religion it is compulsory to do so. Religion or not no one can force you to hate a group just because the implications are there. Even if you believe in nothing some people will hate those who believe in something. Therefore it is argued that everyone is in a religion if they have a set of beliefs and thus it is the human mind that sparks hatred not religion.

A satanist does not need to hate Christians, but in organized religion it is compulsory to do so. Religion or not no one can force you to hate a group just because the implications are there. Even if you believe in nothing some people will hate those who believe in something. Therefore it is argued that everyone is in a religion if they have a set of beliefs and thus it is the human mind that sparks hatred not religion.

I agree with that, but religion gives these people the excuse to having a hateful mind. Faith is a better reason than no reason.~ 

Guys do keep in mind that most people today who follow religion are very different to 500 years ago STELLA!

Btw I am a Christian and well I'm very tolerant of others religion.

And Stella all the wars in the past 100 year how many were religion based?

all the wars in the past 100 year how many were religion based?

Well, lets just start with the big one of the last hundred, shall we... as written in Mein Kampf, Chapter 2: Years of Study and Suffering in Vienna.

And so I believe to-day that my conduct is in accordance with the will of the Almighty Creator. In standing guard against the Jew I am defending the handiwork of the Lord. Therefore, I am convinced that I am acting as the agent of our Creator. By fighting off the Jews, I am doing the Lord's work. I believe today that my conduct is in accordance with the will of the Almighty Creator.

However, on the whole 'religion creates hatred/destruction/stifled progress' argument, I was watching a Mr. Tariq Ramadan the other day, debating with Christopher Hitchens (whom I just love listening to), and Ramadan said something that rang true to me: "All religions deal with human beings, and all human beings deal with violence... The problem is not with the book(s), the problem is with the reader."

I agree with what he said, and it pains me how many atrocities are committed in the name of any religion (an example being doing gods work by killing jews). It is hard for me to distinguish at times the two.

The argument of people "reading the book wrong" is pretty bad when most religious dogmas state that their books are completely perfect and infallible. I mean that right there should be impossible. If a book was really divine in origins there should be no possible way to misinterpret anything it says. And yet if you look at any religious text you get a "big book of multiple choice" that can be interpreted to fit basically any viewpoint. As can usually be seen when people retroactively claim that their holy book predicted a world event or a scientific discovery

• 1 year later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.