[Denied]League of Legends Style Picks/Bans for Comp

In competitive League of Legends, each team picks 3 champions that cannot be used in that battle.

After the bans are selected, the teams alternate picking champions until the team is full. 

This comp style would require players to have a wide range of comp pokemon, knowledge of all pokemon, and strategies! 

When a player accepts a duel, an interface can pop up similar to the LoL picking interface, and the trade screen where the player would have access to their PC to pick out their pokemon, and the other player can see their picks, they go back and forth until they both have full parties and the duel begins. 

Here is a link to a comp LoL match and you can watch the picks/bans at the very beginning!

[spoiler] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bk73rHSvtSI [/spoiler]

Here is an example of what the Picks and Bands Interface can look like.

[spoiler]a0as0l.jpg[/spoiler]

This keeps comp players from getting stuck into one meta strategy! Constantly switching up play style and pokemon used! 

Keeping the game interesting! 

League of legends is the biggest competitive game in the world, they clearly have done it right! 

Thoughts?

3 pokemons each could be a bit too much cuz league is a 5v5 and pokemon is 1v1.

Would just have to take into consideration how many different "comp" pokemon there are, then deduce down whether it would be best to do 3 bans each, 2 bans each, or whatever. 3 bans each would just make it much more interesting and fun to to have to be ready with a wide range of different pokemon. 

Lol full of troll and noobs T.T,and i dont thinks baning pokemon will be good idea because lol and mmo are not the same

Its just a 1 duel ban that the players select. Makes it so someone cant just use the same meta pokemon over and over. They have to have a wider array and strategies. 

An interesting idea, but if I'm understanding it correctly, this would be really broken in a Pokemon game where everything has specific counters and roles.

"I'll ban Snorlax, Blissey and Umbreon then wreck you with my special sweepers since there are too many available for you to ban and they all can sweep you without any of your precious walls" etc etc. Players also can't be expected to have backups of backups of backups ready in case the opponent decides to ban their Pokemon suited for a specific role in their team. This could perhaps be a one-time event, but I don't see it being good as a general gameplay option.

It's pretty amusing to see this being made as a suggestion, since I recently had a similar idea for an Official Event (3 people can confirm this).

I think this is a really good idea for a Tournament, but I don't think it's worth of having this implemented ingame as a duel type.

Expect a tournament like this somewhere in August.

Can confirm.

I think to balance out the bans, it would be nice to include a pick order as well (similar to league) so you can counterpick and teambuild at the same time.

To do this in a tournament though would take a long time though, and I agree with Tranz that it's probably not worth having as specific duel mode.

An interesting idea, but if I'm understanding it correctly, this would be really broken in a Pokemon game where everything has specific counters and roles.

"I'll ban Snorlax, Blissey and Umbreon then wreck you with my special sweepers since there are too many available for you to ban and they all can sweep you without any of your precious walls" etc etc. Players also can't be expected to have backups of backups of backups ready in case the opponent decides to ban their Pokemon suited for a specific role in their team. This could perhaps be a one-time event, but I don't see it being good as a general gameplay option.

I understand, but the point is, if you ban out those walls, then you wont be able to use them either, so the other person could have free range to just have sweepers as well. 

Same thing as with league. If they ban out all the tanks, then both teams adapt to have no tanks, thus both are still even in the way that they will both just be using hard hitters only. 

It's pretty amusing to see this being made as a suggestion, since I recently had a similar idea for an Official Event (3 people can confirm this).

I think this is a really good idea for a Tournament, but I don't think it's worth of having this implemented ingame as a duel type.

If more tournaments were set up this way I would for sure take part more often. That is my personal opinion of course, it just makes it way more interesting. 

Nice try

If more tournaments were set up this way I would for sure take part more often. That is my personal opinion of course, it just makes it way more interesting. 

you know whats interesting? PSL HAAAIPE

Just to clarify Tranz is trying to discredit you now and tell you he had this idea before. Now who do you believe? A scrub GM or the Meta Overlord?

Just to clarify Tranz is trying to discredit you now and tell you he had this idea before. Now who do you believe? A scrub GM or the Meta Overlord?

I see the scrub GM but senile hasn't posted here yet, how am I supposed to believe him?

While an interesting concept, its limited very much by two things:

1 - in order to do this viably you'd need a very, very large pool of comps to pull from.  In an MMO environment a good comp takes a while, meaning that this sort of gameplay isn't viable for many players.

2 - by banning certain pokes (either walls or wallbreakers) you'll make it very, very difficult for someone (especially someone limited by point one above) to compete effectively.  While its true that you are also limited, 6v6 special sweepers only (to go by the earlier example) isn't going to be that interesting (especially because I suspect both players will have very similar lineups)

in LoL the every player has acess to every hero directly from the beginning (i think that's the system or it's a similar one since i never played LoL actually)

in mmo a player needs to build her/his pool of comp pokemon first and that takes time

and not every player ha a wide pool of comps, so one could ban a players half team and he couldn't replace them etc

these system would work just fine in a battle simulator (and has potential to be great)

but in this game it's just not going to work out

in LoL the every player has acess to every hero directly from the beginning (i think that's the system or it's a similar one since i never played LoL actually)

in mmo a player needs to build her/his pool of comp pokemon first and that takes time

and not every player ha a wide pool of comps, so one could ban a players half team and he couldn't replace them etc

these system would work just fine in a battle simulator (and has potential to be great)

but in this game it's just not going to work out

you don't have all unlocked from the beginning

you can only play in that mode if you have X amount unlocked

i like the idea but it would need a little change to work in mmo

it could work for just duels but i don't see it being a tournament thing if it ever even would get implemented

While an interesting concept, its limited very much by two things:

1 - in order to do this viably you'd need a very, very large pool of comps to pull from.  In an MMO environment a good comp takes a while, meaning that this sort of gameplay isn't viable for many players.

2 - by banning certain pokes (either walls or wallbreakers) you'll make it very, very difficult for someone (especially someone limited by point one above) to compete effectively.  While its true that you are also limited, 6v6 special sweepers only (to go by the earlier example) isn't going to be that interesting (especially because I suspect both players will have very similar lineups)

1 - Not necessarily that large. The point of this pick would be to have six different pokemon on each team. Any pokemon that the opponent takes, you can't take it.

So, what this does is:

• Banning all the special walls will prevent you from using them.
  • Your tactic will be obvious and your opponent can choose special sweepers just the same. You pick jolt, they pick zam. You get starmie, they get gengar, and that's about it. Then you probably get screwed by the opponent's bans who also has a plan.
  • All it'd require to fuction is minimal 18 pokemon available rather than 6. (Assuming 6v6 and 3 bans each). Smaller teams/bans, smaller the pool. 5v5 with 2 bans requires only 14 pokemon.

2 - I think banning the counters to your team will make for a fun method of play because normally, if all goes right, both players are going to have a plan. And we'll see who had the best. And even after the ban phase, you can screw with your opponent by picking the good pokemon before he does.

1 - Not necessarily that large. The point of this pick would be to have six different pokemon on each team. Any pokemon that the opponent takes, you can't take it.

So, what this does is:

• Banning all the special walls will prevent you from using them.
  • Your tactic will be obvious and your opponent can choose special sweepers just the same. You pick jolt, they pick zam. You get starmie, they get gengar, and that's about it. Then you probably get screwed by the opponent's bans who also has a plan.
  • All it'd require to fuction is minimal 18 pokemon available rather than 6. (Assuming 6v6 and 3 bans each). Smaller teams/bans, smaller the pool. 5v5 with 2 bans requires only 14 pokemon.

2 - I think banning the counters to your team will make for a fun method of play because normally, if all goes right, both players are going to have a plan. And we'll see who had the best. And even after the ban phase, you can screw with your opponent by picking the good pokemon before he does.

Here's the thing; It's not just a case of "oh, just have like 18 pokemon instead of 6!" (ignoring the fact that's a gigantic leap), it's a case of the fact that the more pokemon you have, the more advantage you have. Period. If your opponent only has like 9 pokemon, banning key members of their team and forcing them to stitch together some shitty chimera team when you have like 2 variants of every pokemon available, you don't care 3 of your pokemon are gone, because you have so much to work with that you can put together a good team regardless.

Yes, it's true that in every tournament having more pokemon gives you an inherent advantage, but when the core of your team can just get banned for a battle, you need a lot of pokemon available to ensure you can always mangle together a competent team. At least being limited in pokemon in a regular tournament means you can still have a very good team, even if you can just get scouted.

I think its better than it would take longer to build a wide range of good comp pokemon. To compete at a higher level, you should be expected to have a wider range of pokemon to choose from. 

think going 5v5 or 4v4 with 2 bans could be more do-able for most people. but I would still like 3 bans each. 

League of Legends, the players have access to a lot of champions, but just like pokemon, there are obviously champions that are more typical for competitive play. So they will ban more typical champions to make people use not so meta strategies. Would make duel less repetitive, and make you think a lot more. 

League of Legends, the players have access to a lot of champions, but just like pokemon, there are obviously champions that are more typical for competitive play. So they will ban more typical champions to make people use not so meta strategies. Would make duel less repetitive, and make you think a lot more. 

The only problem is that you could theoretically ban things that make your team incredibly hard to stop.

Examples:

Ban Snorlax, Blissey, Umbreon and you can probably sweep your opponent with Starmie + Alakazam + Jolteon

Ban Skarmory, Weezing, Forretress - Sweep with Kangaskhan + Marowak + Snorlax

Ban Salamence, Dragonite, Gengar - Win with stall team because best OU wallbreakers aren't there

Ban Starmie, Forretress, Donphan - Spike stall team has an advantage due to lack of Rapid Spin

and so on

There are a lot of examples where banning certain pokes could profoundly (and negatively) affect the metagame  

The only problem is that you could theoretically ban things that make your team incredibly hard to stop.

Examples:

Ban Snorlax, Blissey, Umbreon and you can probably sweep your opponent with Starmie + Alakazam + Jolteon

Ban Skarmory, Weezing, Forretress - Sweep with Kangaskhan + Marowak + Snorlax

Ban Salamence, Dragonite, Gengar - Win with stall team because best OU wallbreakers aren't there

Ban Starmie, Forretress, Donphan - Spike stall team has an advantage due to lack of Rapid Spin

and so on

There are a lot of examples where banning certain pokes could profoundly (and negatively) affect the metagame  

so you see him banning special walls

then you obviously pick a special attacker too

wich makes him able to pick one less

it's not like you can pick but the other has to wait till you chose all

you choose one then he chooses and then you choose again etc etc

so you can't think of oh i ban this and this and pick this this and this because that won't work because he has choices to ban/pick too just as you