[Contest] You Wanna Write About It? A weekly writing competition!

duh sia!
I've got it now, thanks ^-^
So it's about a character undergoing some sort of change, possibly related to the evolution of a species? Quite a topic! I'll have to think about this one a bit and write on it if school allows me some respite.

Haha to be honest, the stuff about evolution of a species was just a way of introducing the actual topic, which is what you said: a character undergoing some sort of change. In law school terms, the first part of the topic is Dicta.

I'm looking forward to your entry, though! I was impressed with what you put together for last week, though I couldn't include it in the judging since it was so far past the deadline

I need to finish editing my entry for this lol

[spoiler]

Was too lazy to write one so I took a chapter from one of the stories I'm writing

[spoiler]

Gonna have to explain stuff about it once it's done

[spoiler]

Just gotta get it down to 2000

[spoiler]

Was 3000+ words

[spoiler]

Oops[/spoiler][/spoiler][/spoiler][/spoiler][/spoiler]

I need to finish editing my entry for this lol

[spoiler]
Was too lazy to write one so I took a chapter from one of the stories I'm writing
[spoiler]
Gonna have to explain stuff about it once it's done
[spoiler]
Just gotta get it down to 2000
[spoiler]
Was 3000+ words
[spoiler]
Oops[/spoiler][/spoiler][/spoiler][/spoiler][/spoiler]

Don't forget about my extremely lax "word limit" policy

Don't forget about my extremely lax "word limit" policy

haha yeah it's all good though. Pretty sure I got rid of a lot already. I'll have to check my word count once it's actually decent. There was a bunch of stuff that I didn't need included in a story for here anyways but needed to include for my overall story so cutting them out isn't that bad so it's gotten a few hundred words taken out thus far

Hey fellas, so with the update, I think everyone (including me) is a little preoccupied. I'm really excited about this "week" and the entries, though, and I don't want them to suffer. Therefore, I'm gonna push the deadline back another week. The new deadline is Monday, September 1st at 11:59 PM EDT.

Oh, and here's the topic again, for those who didn't see it on the OP:

Week 3 Topic:

*Warning: We're (possibly) leaving the world of pokemon with this one*

Alright, here's the week 3 topic. Humans are defined by change. Throughout time, we've done nothing but adapt, usually in order to survive. Eventually, once the survival thing was taken care of, we began to evolve as a species, thriving in our environment. Yes, humans as a group have undergone a lot of change in our relatively short time on this planet. And yet, as the species continues to evolve, change still occurs on a personal level every single day.

I want you to take a character and write a story about something that changes them. The catalyst for this change can be whatever you want: It can be a traumatic event, a series of events, or even a short but sweet epiphany. I'm sure we all know how hard it can be to change something about ourselves, but sometimes, this is exactly what is necessary, and sometimes change is spurred by just one single event. Feel free to use whatever setting you like: you can ground this story in the reality of planet earth, or you can create a whole new universe, or anything in between. Hey, you can even keep your entry as a story about a pokemon trainer!

I realize this is a vague topic, but I really want to give you all the freedom to write about whatever you want, even if it's something that relates closely to your life. If anyone is having trouble picking a direction to go with, feel free to PM me and hopefully I can help provide some guidance. Hell, I plan on writing something up for this one just for fun, even though I won't count it as an actual entry.

Word Limit: 2,000 words. Now, I know this is a lot, but don't feel like you HAVE to hit the word limit, or even be close. I just want to give everyone the flexibility to tell their story without worrying about going too long.

Deadline: Monday, September 1st at 11:59 ET

I wrote something last Thursday, but it's depressing :P. Why is change so depressing in my head?? ahaha.

To give an idea this is how it starts:

[spoiler]

Siara scrubbed at her head, sobbing gently in the corner of a clean, white hospital. The words of her husband's death still echoed in her mind. She never expected to lose him so soon. Their love was stronger than most could ever hope for. Now a trapdoor had sprung, dropping her heart into nothingness.

Everything was her responsibility now. Hers and hers alone. She'd have to find work, keep track of medicines for the animals, sell the house and settle for something smaller, grow her own food. Anything to survive. Anything. The ramifications horrified her. What would she do? What could she-?

"I'm - ah - so sorry, my dear," said a stranger, interupting her train of thought. Hat removed, he approached in earnest. A gentle old soul with pure white hair. "I couldn't help but overhear the doctors."

"Please, let me be," Siara said with a dismissive hand.

[/spoiler]

(I wrote the full story, but I'd rather not share the rest as it gets far too personal.)

This week college, my children, and this update is really getting in the way! No time. Maybe since there's another week there's hope! I need to write something more upbeat.

I wrote something last Thursday, but it's depressing :P. Why is change so depressing in my head?? ahaha.

To give an idea this is how it starts:

[spoiler]

Siara scrubbed at her head, sobbing gently in the corner of a clean, white hospital. The words of her husband's death still echoed in her mind. She never expected to lose him so soon. Their love was stronger than most could ever hope for. Now a trapdoor had sprung, dropping her heart into nothingness.

Everything was her responsibility now. Hers and hers alone. She'd have to find work, keep track of medicines for the animals, sell the house and settle for something smaller, grow her own food. Anything to survive. Anything. The ramifications horrified her. What would she do? What could she-?

"I'm - ah - so sorry, my dear," said a stranger, interupting her train of thought. Hat removed, he approached in earnest. A gentle old soul with pure white hair. "I couldn't help but overhear the doctors."

"Please, let me be," Siara said with a dismissive hand.

[/spoiler]

It seems amazing so far! I'd like to see more of it, but if it gets too personal, it's your call whether or not you post it

It seems amazing so far! I'd like to see more of it, but if it gets too personal, it's your call whether or not you post it

That is sweet of u, But it gets far too personal, I am embarassed even thinking about it xD

I will try hard to write something else by the deadline.

aight fk this

This may or may not be related to myself

[spoiler]

I need it, I need it, I need it. The words are repeating themselves in my mind, like an endless flow of waves crashing down on my vulnerable body. The palms of my hands are itching as I wait for release. I try rubbing them together in the cold but, this anxious feeling just won’t let go of me. Did I perhaps fall to deep? Can I get out of here? No, do I even want to get out? I tilt my head up and look around me. No sign.

The street where I’m standing isn’t too crowded. People seem to be in a rush. Talking and walking at the same fast pace. Then again, I’m not really paying  a lot of attention to them. The street, the people, the sounds, the scents they are all a big blur. I can’t focus on them. It feels like there’s a shortage of oxygen here as I try to keep myself standing.

How long has it been since this has started? Two months or three perhaps? I long for it, the rush in my veins and yet the relaxation of my mind. It makes me sharp, it makes me strong. That’s how it changes me. I don’t care about the risks, yet I was once a man who didn’t like taking his chances. Going for the safe route every time. Not having the courage to face the consequences of the unknown and the daring. Not having the motivation to push myself to reach the peaks of my deepest desires.  The easy way out, yeah that’s what I liked.

I can’t imagine my life without it anymore. Every waking moment that I’m not occupied by anything else makes me dizzy. I slip, I tumble and I fall. But now I get up. Higher and higher is where I go. I take it in and my lungs are filled with life. I breathe it out carefully, as I don’t want to lose anything of it. Sometimes it gives me sleepless nights where I would dwell in a seemingly endless abyss captured by my own fears. But as it puts me there, it also pulls me out.

It’s a gentle thing, exposing vulnerability. And when I mess something up it feels absolutely terrible. The soft touch on my heart suddenly grabs it tight. Nails piercing through the flesh as something worse than pain flashes through my nervous system. One moment I’d be in the heavens and above and with one blow I’d be back on the ground, gasping for air. If there is a place like hell, then these moments of agony would be its ultimate punishment.

The sound of laughter wakes me up from my thoughts. I look around disorientated as I forgot where I was standing. Bells ring as the doors of a toyshop open up behind me. A little girl joyfully skips with a package in her left hand while holding the hand of a woman in her right. ‘Thanks mommy!’ she says with the biggest smile of innocence. Her mother pets her on her head without saying anything. I can’t see her face but I know that it speaks all the words that are needed.

I shake my head and turn back. For an instance my heart stops together with the world and time. Flocks of brown are blown away by the non-existing wind, or did I just not feel it? Hazel looks into dark brown and dark brown looks back into hazel. Breathes connect in the cold air forming condense. Soft reaches for rough. Soft now holds rough. Smiles are exchanged. Words are formed without letters or sounds. Time makes the clocks tick again, but it hasn’t grown old. The world starts turning again, but I'm not going anywhere.

She’s here now.[/spoiler]

edit: grammar

Edited by ThinkNice

Blah I wish I could enter.

aight fk this

[spoiler]
I need it, I need it, I need it. The words are repeating themselves in my mind, like an endless flow of waves crashing down on my vulnerable body. The palms of my hands are itching as I wait for release. I try rubbing them together in the cold but, this anxious feeling just won’t let go of me. Did I perhaps fall to deep? Can I get out of here? No, do I even want to get out? I tilt my head up and look around me. No sign.

The street where I’m standing isn’t too crowded. People seem to be in a rush. Talking and walking at the same fast pace. Then again, I’m not really paying a lot of attention to them. The street, the people, the sounds, the scents they are all a big blur. I can’t focus on them. It feels like there’s a short of oxygen here as I try to keep myself standing.

How long has it been since this has started? Two months or three perhaps? I long for it, the rush in my veins and yet the relaxation of my mind. It makes me sharp, it makes me strong. That’s how it changes me. I don’t care about the risks, yet I was once a man who didn’t like taking his chances. Going for the safe route every time. Not having the courage to face the consequences of the unknown and the daring. Not having the motivation to push myself to reach the peeks of my deepest desires. The easy way out, yeah that’s what I liked.

I can’t imagine my life without it anymore. Every waking moment that I’m not occupied by anything else makes me dizzy. I slip, I tumble and I fall. But now I get up. Higher and higher is where I go. I take it in and my lungs are filled with life. I breathe it out carefully, as I don’t want to lose anything of it. Sometimes it gives me sleepless nights where I would dwell in an endless seeming abyss captured by my own fears. But as it puts me there, it also pulls me out.

It’s a gentle thing, exposing vulnerability. And when I mess something up it feels absolutely terrible. The soft touch on my heart suddenly grabs it tight. Nails piercing through the flesh as something worse than pain flashes through my nervous system. One moment I’d be in the heavens and above and with one blow I’d be back on the ground, gasping for air. If there is a place like hell, then these moments of agony would be its ultimate punishment.

The sound of laughter wakes me up from my thoughts. I look around disorientated as I forgot where I was standing. Bells ring as the doors of a toyshop open up behind me. A little girl joyfully skips with a package in her left hand while holding the hand of a women in her right. ‘Thanks mommy!’ she says with the biggest smile of innocence. Her mother pets her on her head without saying anything. I can’t see her face but I know that it spoke all the words that were needed.

I shake my head and turn back. For an instance my heart stops together with the world and time. Flocks of brown are blown away by the non-existing wind, or did I just not feel it? Hazel looks into dark brown and dark brown looks back into hazel. Breathes connect in the cold air forming condense. Soft reaches for rough. Soft now holds rough. Smiles are exchanged. Words are formed without letters or sounds. Time makes the clocks tick again, but it hasn’t grown old. The world starts turning again, but I'm not going anywhere.

Pretty sure you would have just destroyed me though.

aight fk this

[spoiler]

The street where I’m standing isn’t too crowded. People seem to be in a rush. Talking and walking at the same fast pace. Then again, I’m not really paying  a lot of attention to them. The street, the people, the sounds, the scents they are all a big blur. I can’t focus on them. It feels like there’s a short of oxygen here as I try to keep myself standing.

How long has it been since this has started? Two months or three perhaps? I long for it, the rush in my veins and yet the relaxation of my mind. It makes me sharp, it makes me strong. That’s how it changes me. I don’t care about the risks, yet I was once a man who didn’t like taking his chances. Going for the safe route every time. Not having the courage to face the consequences of the unknown and the daring. Not having the motivation to push myself to reach the peeks of my deepest desires.  The easy way out, yeah that’s what I liked.

I can’t imagine my life without it anymore. Every waking moment that I’m not occupied by anything else makes me dizzy. I slip, I tumble and I fall. But now I get up. Higher and higher is where I go. I take it in and my lungs are filled with life. I breathe it out carefully, as I don’t want to lose anything of it. Sometimes it gives me sleepless nights where I would dwell in an endless seeming abyss captured by my own fears. But as it puts me there, it also pulls me out.

The sound of laughter wakes me up from my thoughts. I look around disorientated as I forgot where I was standing. Bells ring as the doors of a toyshop open up behind me. A little girl joyfully skips with a package in her left hand while holding the hand of a women in her right. ‘Thanks mommy!’ she says with the biggest smile of innocence. Her mother pets her on her head without saying anything. I can’t see her face but I know that it spoke all the words that were needed.

Those feels tho.

Can't you enter even after the extended deadline Fera? Meanwhile I need to work on a blatantly terrible submission.

Blah I wish I could enter.
Pretty sure you would have just destroyed me though.

Those are both kind and sad words. This contest isn't the same without your stories. I don't want to discourage anyone. I could've waited to post but I'm not sure if I could still post it later then. Put a lot of heart into it.

Looking forward to all the entries!

Those feels tho.

Can't you enter even after the extended deadline Fera? Meanwhile I need to work on a blatantly terrible submission.

Do it phaggot