Rock Tomb update

BerriK

Question

18 answers to this question

why was my post deleted?

You needed to put that reason in your post. They want to know why or why not people support the suggestion. You know how it works, you've been here :). I got one of mine deleted 2 days ago too because I didn't put a reason. All good.

To be on topic, I don't know if I support this or not. I'll just let you guys decide. There are not a lot of rock moves being used regularly (just rock slide?) that I can think of though. It could add variety I guess.

Alright, I've been meaning to reply to this for awhile;

From a competitive perspective, this looks great, Rock Tomb is a fairly underused move and I'm sure a few Pokemon would benefit from such a buff.

However you need to look at the other side - there is more to this game than PvP:

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Brock#Pok.C3.A9mon_FireRed_and_LeafGreen

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Roxanne#Pok.C3.A9mon_Emerald

It is the most powerful move available to the first Gym Leaders of the Kanto & Hoenn regions, with fights against them already being a struggle due to the speed drop caused by previous uses.

If you lack the correct typing it's quite the challenge - and Roxanne in particular has the move available on all three of her Pokemon.

From a PvE aspect this perhaps wouldn't be the best option, and is unlikely to happen for that reason.

Alright, I've been meaning to reply to this for awhile;

From a competitive perspective, this looks great, Rock Tomb is a fairly underused move and I'm sure a few Pokemon would benefit from such a buff.

However you need to look at the other side - there is more to this game than PvP:

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Brock#Pok.C3.A9mon_FireRed_and_LeafGreen

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Roxanne#Pok.C3.A9mon_Emerald

It is the most powerful move available to the first Gym Leaders of the Kanto & Hoenn regions, with fights against them already being a struggle due to the speed drop caused by previous uses.

If you lack the correct typing it's quite the challenge - and Roxanne in particular has the move available on all three of her Pokemon.

From a PvE aspect this perhaps wouldn't be the best option, and is unlikely to happen for that reason.

It's literally no different from the challenges against the E4, only that the levels are lower. The E4 is ridiculously higher-leveled than you are once you get through Victory Road. If you catch the right Pokemon and train them enough Roxanne and Brock are a cinch. There's Mankeys everywhere on Route 2, before Pewter, and Lotad, Shroomish, and Seedot all have super-effective moves and typing against Rock types, and are available long before you reach Rustboro.

It's literally no different from the challenges against the E4, only that the levels are lower. The E4 is ridiculously higher-leveled than you are once you get through Victory Road. If you catch the right Pokemon and train them enough Roxanne and Brock are a cinch. There's Mankeys everywhere on Route 2, before Pewter, and Lotad, Shroomish, and Seedot all have super-effective moves and typing against Rock types, and are available long before you reach Rustboro.

This ^

And also I would like to add that this would help the tier as Icy wind does the same job in UU most of the time. I think we have to change those moves that help eliminate a tier where everything is speed or when subs are a pain to destroy if u don't have a good check (Dodrio, Breloom, etc) (I'm talking about Rock Blast here)

I don't know, I can't see a problem by doing those changes

You're correct.

The AI does remain constant throughout all NPC battles; However the levels of the opposing Pokemon decide the difficulty of the trainer.

Attached to levels are learnsets, which contain moves that increase in base power the higher level the Pokemon is.

At early stages of the storyline a majority of the standard NPC trainers have Pokemon that are at a lower level to your Pokemon - this allows you to beat them fairly easily, as you can both over-level them and learn moves with a much higher base power than the ones the NPCs Pokemon has access to.

The first gym leader is no different from this, you are able to out-level them and learn higher base power moves which may assist in beating them.

It's much easier to do this at early stages of the game than it is later on.

For the start of the game however, a 60 base power move with the ability the ability to lower speed is rather hard-hitting - The average Base Power for moves learnt at this stage of the game is around 40.

Keep in mind that whilst you're all fairly experienced players, a new player is still learning at this point and it would be particularly bad gameplay to throw a something like this at them right away.

They've only gone through Route 1 and Viridian Forest at this point, neither of which accurately represent your average battle very well, since Pidgey, Rattata, Caterpie and friends aren't known for their damage.

Pokemon with Super Effective typings are a good answer, but at such an early point it would be slightly unfair to render their starter entirely useless almost straight away.

We have looked into possible solutions for this, one of those being splitting the PvE and PvP versions of Rock Tomb from each other.

In the end it was decided that this was a bad solution, as it is not consistent and therefore leads to teaching players that a move does less damage than it actually does in a PvP instance.

Obviously every player is capable of checking the Base Power, but after using particular moves for awhile or being hit by them you build up a mental damage range.

The above is mostly speculatory, and to obtain a fully accurate depiction of how Rock Tomb might interact with new players it would require testing.

Obviously the Rock Tomb buff remains active in the most recent Pokemon games: Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, and it would appear not to pose a problem there, but of course PokeMMOs AI is slightly harsher.

What I do know however is that currently attempting to face Brock with a Fire starter usually results in a loss without a few extra levels, even with Metal Claw. (This appears to be mostly due to the speed drop, as if the Fire starter retained their speed throughout the battle they'd be able to defeat him/Onix).