[MOD][IPS] The Other Moemon Ports (IT LIVES! All Gen 3/MMO Compatible! 527/649 Pokemon Moe-ized!)

Hey everyone sorry for the continued delay; I finally got the chance to get my hands on the source code to the Gen III Hacking suite tool to patch some of the stupid bugs in it and have been doing a little bit of script updating to take advantage of it's capabilities (I've got a fixed version of castform I'll be posting over in the Mega Moemon thread) as well as working on updating my MMO scripts to work with the new numbers. I also stumbled on an old Moemon archive with most of the new gen pokemon, so I'm looking into getting placeholders from that firmly into the MMO mod version (obviously the Gen 3 doesn't need them).

I won't promise an exact date for the next release of this (I think I've broken those promises enough times at this point :P), but I will say that I've successfully ran scripts all of the way through a test patch for plain old Emerald on my end, so I'm starting to get closer to getting everything updated.

• 1 month later...

IT LIVES!! After much delay due to real life and some procrastination I've finally got a version I'm happy with put together. That sad news is, of course, that for the moment I've had to drop the Sigma Emerald version of the patch. I'll be looking into potentially restoring it sometime in the future, but no promises. I've also fixed it up for the MMO to be functional again, as well as found a large number of placeholder moemon that were scattered around the web for the Gen 4/5 that I've included. As always though, I'd much prefer to use moemon created right here, so if you want to see more of those than head on over to the Mega Moemon project and offer your aid (it's really not as hard as it seems).

I'll try to keep an eye on this a bit more closely at least in the immediate future in case you guys catch any errors; my pokedex on the MMO is lacking in particular, so I couldn't actually verify a fairly significant part of the modfile for that, so I'd love to hear that everything is working correctly (or what isn't).

Also by demand I've included hashcodes for the proper ROM's that you should be using for the patch, so if you are of the mind to you should be able to double-check that you have the proper one if something is breaking.

Wow, you got all of them, even Moemon Sapphire. A few of the shinies were broken in Emerald, such a primape, zapdos, and entei. I guess you automated much of the process.

Without knowing Japanese, those Gen 4/5 placeholders couldn't have been easy to find.

Edited by Septentrion
1 hour ago, Septentrion said:

Wow, you got all of them, even Moemon Sapphire. A few of the shinies were broken in Emerald, such a primape, zapdos, and entei. I guess you automated much of the process.

Without knowing Japanese, those Gen 4/5 placeholders couldn't have been easy to find.

You have no idea how much trouble Sapphire gave me; this whole update would have come out a week ago if Sapphire hadn't thrown a hissy fit, refused to work with my patched Gen 3 toolset without corrupting, and require a whole new set of scripts just for it. XD

The whole process is indeed heavily automated through a handful of Autohotkey scripts/python scripts/batchfiles that run fairly smoothly now (I assure you that there were many times in the development process where I pressed go, read my book for a couple minutes, and then scrambled for the kill button as one script or another started renaming every file in the directory to "e_.png", "e_e_.png", "e_e_e_.png" or decided it was time to happily copy/paste a file across my desktop a few thousand times). I think it was well worth it if it lets me showcase some of the art you, Moetal, the many other amazing moemon spriters have made in an easily accessible format for players though.

And thanks for the report about the broken emerald shinies. I'll look into putting together a fix for that, though I think I'll wait at least a week barring serious issues to actually release the 2.1 patch; that should give others time to furret out any other issues I can squash while I'm at it.

Been trying to manually import sprites into pokemon emerald using Nameless Sprite Editor.

Facing a problem where after imported, the right side of the sprite has some extra pixels that are not in the sprite data used.

(Link to screenshot of the problem)

It results in really jagged sprites in game. 

You guys know anything anout this and how to avoid this?

I would rather not manually fix it in NSE since I am planning to change all sprites in cosmic emerald. Doing it manually would take a lot more time. And before I get Advance Sprite Editor to work, NSE is my only option.

Please help. 

Edited by lcsiang

Ok, I will give more details. 

About image:

Indexed, 16 colours, 64x128, 11.6KB.

Regarding screenshot:

Firstly, the one on the left is the view in NSE, and its also how it shows up in the game. The one on the right is the PNG image I imported in.

The only difference is on the edges on the sprites's right side. Comparing 2, You can see that the sprite on the left has really jagged lines on the headband, left hand sleeve, the tail like structure located under the sprite's left hand, the bottom and top part of the pants. Resulting in really blocky lines. While the PNG image has smoother lines.

All I did was import the image, and thats how it turns out.

Detail enough?

Then I'm not sure what you're smoking man. Both of the large ones and the small one are identical (other than a very, very slight hue difference, most likely because of a different interpolation setting on your photo gallery app). If you want there to be less sharp edges on, say, the bottom edge of the tail then you're going to need to replace those pure black pixels that make up the outline with something less harsh. There's nothing "broken" going on here; all three pictures match and the programs are working like they should from the looks of it.

10 hours ago, lcsiang said:

I am gonna just be more detailed. I circle the part which become more jagged after importing with purple marker.

Screenshot with purple marker

And this smaller image might be easier to see how it looked.

Smaller dimension of the image above so its easier to see the how jagged it looks.

Hopefully you guys can see the part i am talking about.

P.S. Can Pokemon Game Editor edit sprites?

That problem is a NSE thing. I had this issue a number of times, but then I started making sure that I was using PNG specifically index with GIMP. It just loads files weirdly in it's not formatted exactly like it expects.

On 5/4/2018 at 11:46 AM, SketchAO said:

I wasted two hours trying to patch this in :P.  Thanks so much for this mod, it's amazing.  I'm so glad that I mained arcanine before I got this <3

You're welcome! It's always nice to hear that you managed to help someone experience the work that the many artists of moemon have put in. :)

10 hours ago, notmudkip0 said:

I'm not a fan of some of the sprites, is it possible to replace them with alternatives?
Not asking you to do it btw

If you get a change accepted into the Revival thread or the Mega thread then it'll get replaced here on the next update. You can also feel free to replace them for your own personal version either with the advance series toolset, gen 3 toolset, or in the case of the modfile, 7-zip (the modfile is literally just a .zip file, you can just unzip it and take a look; the image formatting is pretty straight forward).

7 hours ago, Septentrion said:

What format would followers need to be submitted in? I want to do some starters.

Edit: Would it be easy to support. This was probably a bad place to ask this question.

I can definitely add in any that get made to the mod version if you were feeling creative, sure. For reference here's the formatting of the image (this one was taken from the Gen 5 Follower sprites mod):

1E9RTYq.png

It's a 4x4 grid of 16 30x30 pixel images (total image should be 120x120) on a transparent background. As I understand it the four images in a given row are the frames the animation cycles through. Shinies should be in a duplicate PNG of their own. (Funnily enough it also looks like follower sprites support gender differences, despite the actual normal sprites themselves not supporting them). Since it's loaded only for the mod there shouldn't be any color palette limitations, though obviously you'd want it to look like the normal sprite as much as possible.

If you do decide to post any it'd be helpful to get their number's posted alongside any final versions as well to make sure they get to the right spot; I'm not ashamed to admit I can't always recognize every pokemon in the later gens, especially when moeized. The full naming convention is "#-b-n.png" where "#" is the number, "b" can be replaced with 'm'/'f' if you wanted gendered versions, and 'n'/'s' for normal/shiny versions at the end.

• 3 weeks later...

I would love to use the Moemon mod alongside the Pokemon Ultra Violet mod for FireRed, but they aren't compatible to just patch one after the other (in either order).

Would you maybe be able to help put the Moemon sprites into Ultra Violet? If not, i would really appreciate if you could help explain the process and/or share the scripts you use so I can attempt to do it myself. Thanks!
Link to Ultra Violet: https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1156/ (note: it uses FireRed v1.1 whereas Moemon uses FireRed v1.0)

On 5/27/2018 at 9:17 PM, Paladin said:

Out of interest would any of these be compatible with the universal randomiser?

All of the basic GEN 3 IPS sprite replacement patches should work just fine with the universal randomizer (I don't personally guarantee it, but as just a sprite replacement I don't see you running into any problems).

On 5/26/2018 at 7:58 PM, limonpower said:

I would love to use the Moemon mod alongside the Pokemon Ultra Violet mod for FireRed, but they aren't compatible to just patch one after the other (in either order).

Would you maybe be able to help put the Moemon sprites into Ultra Violet? If not, i would really appreciate if you could help explain the process and/or share the scripts you use so I can attempt to do it myself. Thanks!
Link to Ultra Violet: https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1156/ (note: it uses FireRed v1.1 whereas Moemon uses FireRed v1.0)

You're not the only person to ask. :P

I'll see about getting a more in-depth guide with a link to my latest set of scripts posted up this weekend. That said you should be aware that the more complex a mod is (and ultra-violet looks like a fairly significant one) the greater chance that you won't be able to mod the sprites successfully without getting some information from the mod creator. There's still a fairly good chance that at least one of the tools will work, but it is a possibility. Also know that while I'll happily share, my scripts are designed for my particular system/setup and will almost certainly require at least a few tweaks to run smoothly anywhere else. It'll be up to you whether you want to spend the time updating the scripts to run for you (look into the autohotkey language) or just do things by hand (took me around 4-6 hours for the initial update depending on clicking/computer speed, much less after that).

Hello, and first off thanks for this awesome patch.

I have a request : I'd like to use your sprites in other Pokemon hacks with Advanced Sprite Editor (for my personal use only). The issue is I can't extract all sprites at once, so I figured out you might have them saved somewhere. If you could share with me your sprite folder that would save me so much time.