[Denied]Shiny hunting mode

And this helps prove that not everyone would use this mode if implemented. A big point which I think a lot of you guys are ignoring. Some people shiny hunt for the profit. Others would do it cause they just want an OT.

edit:

Also, I wonder if people would use the mode past 1 obtained shiny. I feel like once a user got that first OT shiny, it would have still taken them a while (lots of boring grind), and they might not be inclined to do it again. Some probably would, but I feel like most wouldn't constantly use it past 1 OT.

yeah and remove a lot of shiny traders from the market who just often trade to reach their dreamshiny at one point. (a pretty popular example in the past has been 9tales) they probably will just hunt that shiny then. and the shiny market will miss a lot of active traders cause of that.

edit: lol nvm. But it would take over 40k of hard grinding at mt. Pyre and pouring money into this mode to get a decent shot at shiny pix... All of the other rares (like the starters, fossils, beldum, eevee) have much much lower encounters, and would take over 100k encounters to even get to 50% chance. If that isn't hard work and dedication that deserves reward, then I don't know what is...

Edited by Gilan

yeah and remove a lot of shiny traders from the market who just often trade to reach their dreamshiny at one point. (a pretty popular example in the past has been 9tales) they probably will just hunt that shiny then. and the shiny market will miss a lot of active traders cause of that.

You are completely overestimating the ability for someone to find a rare shiny. Charmanders, Beldums, Mudkips etc all have horrific encounter rates. Only the most dedicated people will hunt for those and 19 times out of 20 you are going to end up with something shittier. Even at 1/8192 chances are you are going to go through at least 50,000 encounters before you get the one you want. Bearing in mind 1 hour of hardcore straight hunting yields 250 odd encounters it's going to take at least a couple hundred hours of pure hunting to even have a shot at one. A thin shot at that

This method really doesn't detract from the shiny market, it just provideds dedicated shiny hunters with an endgame they can actually use to provide enjoyment and trophies. Right now the shiny hunting scene in this game is nonexistent.

At the end of the day if I've spent hundreds of hours hunting for my dream shiny I think I've earnt the shot at having it as a follower sprite and nothing more, I don't care if Johnny I have the only meta gross in the game gets upset.

1/8192 is still hard as we say but compared to the current rate which is nearly impossible. With the current rate you might find ONE shiny after 2 years or something insane like that with the current mechanic. 100k encounters is still not enough to find a shiny according to my luck.

1/8192 is still hard as we say but compared to the current rate which is nearly impossible. With the current rate you might find ONE shiny after 2 years or something insane like that with the current mechanic. 100k encounters is still not enough to find a shiny according to my luck.

nah i found more than that in 1 year without actively looking for them.

Another point to consider and discuss is how this would work with donator status.

nah i found more than that in 1 year without actively looking for them.

Yet I've looked for one for more than 2 years now (1000 horsea quests etc.) and have not found one. The point being, your statement and mine just now are not significant to the discussion.

Now that I think about it I actually like this idea. Since we all know hat the shiny encounter rate is not 1/8192, it would allow us to spend more time to actually search for the shiny instead of paying added expenses or breaking the market.

Pretty sure the devs don't like "daily tasks"; as they promote logging in just to do that and not actually playing the game.

It's already been discussed and there's a good chance of it happening after other stuff is done. It'll be basic to start with, such as "defeat/capture X AMOUNT of TYPE pokemon". So for example "Catch 10 wild grass type pokemon" or "Defeat 10 fire type pokemon in trainer battles" or "Win 10 PvP battles with a water type pokemon". Beyond that, it hasn't been fleshed out more. My thought was always offer players something similar to how GW2 does daily quests. Offer players about 10 possible quests to do each day, once they've completed 5 of them, they get a reward. After completing x amount of daily quests over any span of time (like 100), offer a large reward. Leaderboards will show who has done the most daily quests overall. This adds a competitive aspect to it and encourages people to do them above just getting in game rewards.

At a certain time each day, daily quests reset and give you a new set of 10 quests to complete.

Again, this is just ideas that have been thrown around, nothing is ready yet but no one disagrees that it would be a good addition to the game.

Yeah, my post was back in Feb before anything had been discussed beyond Shu and Desu and myself. I'm sure it's been brought up and the idea has been played with more since then given that there has been posts about it by other staff after mine (I'm not as involved with this as I used to be, mostly here for the lulz atm).

And since I haven't heard Desu talking about it at all, I assume it's still down on this list under things like sound engine and more entertaining gameplay features that could be added.

Daily quests serve more as a true population check for staff and gives players incentive to do things they normally wouldn't do otherwise. Meaning they're out in the world potentially interacting with new players while they do dailies. And an idea I ran by Desu which he didn't disagree with is that monthly quest rewards should give players harder to get stuff or have a random chance to. That includes master balls, in game shop currency for hats and whatnot, etc. Nothing set in stone of course, but no one was against it.

I think something people are overlooking with this idea is that it could very easily cause the amount of tradable shinies entering the economy to go significantly down.

Why? Let's think about this: We know that the shiny rate ingame right now is absolutely atrocious. As such, there's pretty much 0 chance many people would find a shiny. I don't know about you, but I'd probably have Shiny Hunting Mode on all the time; I'm probably not finding a shiny normally anyway, and the only drawback for constantly having it on is that the Shiny is a gift, but without it, I wouldn't have gotten a shiny anyway, so I don't give a shit.

The way I see it, a mode like "Shiny Hunting Mode" would just result in a lot of players leaving it turned on forever while they just go about their business. As a result, players won't be encountering tradable shinies often at all, since they'll all be getting gift shinies anyway. Everyone getting gift shinies = no more shinies entering the economy. No more shinies entering the economy = The shiny market SOMEHOW becomes even more cancer than it already is.

I think something people are overlooking with this idea is that it could very easily cause the amount of tradable shinies entering the economy to go significantly down.

Why? Let's think about this: We know that the shiny rate ingame right now is absolutely atrocious. As such, there's pretty much 0 chance many people would find a shiny. I don't know about you, but I'd probably have Shiny Hunting Mode on all the time; I'm probably not finding a shiny normally anyway, and the only drawback for constantly having it on is that the Shiny is a gift, but without it, I wouldn't have gotten a shiny anyway, so I don't give a shit.

The way I see it, a mode like "Shiny Hunting Mode" would just result in a lot of players leaving it turned on forever while they just go about their business. As a result, players won't be encountering tradable shinies often at all, since they'll all be getting gift shinies anyway. Everyone getting gift shinies = no more shinies entering the economy. No more shinies entering the economy = The shiny market SOMEHOW becomes even more cancer than it already is.

I disagree. Just today, I saw 3 noobs get shinies.

If you were to tack getting this mode onto the Battle Frontier or something end-game related then those noobs (the ones who find the shinies anyways) would still be bringing in those tradeable shinies.

I disagree. Just today, I saw 3 noobs get shinies.

If you were to tack getting this mode onto the Battle Frontier or something end-game related then those noobs (the ones who find the shinies anyways) would still be bringing in those tradeable shinies.

Noobs will still be getting shinies, I assumed this and already accounted for it in my post, since I figured they probably wouldn't figure out the mode exists.

The amount of shinies getting put into the economy would still go down, since, especially in your suggestion (tacking it onto the battle frontier), tacking onto something like that would require explaining to players it exists. I can guarantee pretty much any casual player would turn that shit on the moment they could/learned about it, because they generally wouldn't give a shit about trading away their shinies and would much rather keep an OT. Even regular players would probably leave it on, as I said before.

Noobs will still be getting shinies, I assumed this and already accounted for it in my post, since I figured they probably wouldn't figure out the mode exists.

The amount of shinies getting put into the economy would still go down, since, especially in your suggestion (tacking it onto the battle frontier), tacking onto something like that would require explaining to players it exists. I can guarantee pretty much any casual player would turn that shit on the moment they could/learned about it, because they generally wouldn't give a shit about trading away their shinies and would much rather keep an OT. Even regular players would probably leave it on, as I said before.

I feel that most shinies are found by casuals during the storyline, and they enter the shiny market when a shiny trader scams it off of them. Putting this mode at the end-game wouldn't affect those...

I feel that most shinies are found by casuals during the storyline, and they enter the shiny market when a shiny trader scams it off of them. Putting this mode at the end-game wouldn't affect those...

It's one thing for "most" shinies to be from noobs getting scammed, it's another thing to add a feature which basically makes those scammed shinies the only real source of shinies into the economy. It's not something which should be really encouraged, much less something that the game is designed around is the main source of shinies.

Besides, most shinies *might* come from new kids getting scammed, but not only do we not really know that for certain, but even if we did, the split matters. If, say, 60% are from casuals getting scammed, then something like this could effectively cut 30-40% of the shiny flow, assuming that the scammed kids are the MAJORITY of the shiny flow, which we don't know for certain.