Off Topic Suggestion Thread

There is no need to ask for consent to view Off Topic. That should not be a requirement for any part of this forum as it's connected to a game, imo. 

This isn't your Facebook wall, I don't care how friendly you are with someone; speak to others as you would in public.

Can you locate a rule in your ToS that states how we are meant to act. "Public" is fairly vague.

The following :

• a. You may not harass, threaten, embarrass or cause distress and/or unwanted attention to other persons using our Service (Players and PokeMMO's Staff). This includes posting insulting, offensive, or abusive comments about people, repeatedly sending unwanted messages, reporting players maliciously, attacking a player based on race, sexual orientation, religion, heritage, etc.

is the most relevant section afaik after browsing it, and no friends from OT are going to say they've been harassed, threatened, endured unwanted attention or stress on MMO's service over jokes.

[spoiler] Except King because he is weak[/spoiler] 

That's great, you or I may be aware of that but a new user and anybody looking in from the outside isn't.

All they are going to see is one user calling another a 'shitter' and that being considered acceptable behavior.

This isn't your Facebook wall, I don't care how friendly you are with someone; speak to others as you would in public.

Except we would speak to each other this way in public. Because we aren't afraid some police officer is going to grab us by the shoulder and tell us we're not allowed to say bad words.

This is exactly the problem. Stop trying to enforce your opinions on us. That shit isn't even in the rules.

Edited by Gilgamesh

Except we would speak to each other this way in public. Because we aren't afraid some police officer is going to grab us by the shoulder and tell us we're not allowed to say bad words.

This is exactly the problem. Stop trying to enforce your opinions on us. That shit isn't even in the rules.

Well, I don't know where you guys live, but I would never call my friends shit in public... Cursing in public is generally just rude and disrespectful. I have a group that I'm in that plays Magic the Gathering together, occasionally we go to a cafe to play a big game. One of our group members has a pretty bad mouth, and children enter the cafe from time to time; we constantly have to shush him so as not to be disrespectful and have a bad influence on the children.

Well, I don't know where you guys live, but I would never call my friends shit in public... Cursing in public is generally just rude and disrespectful. I have a group that I'm in that plays Magic the Gathering together, occasionally we go to a cafe to play a big game. One of our group members has a pretty bad mouth, and children enter the cafe from time to time; we constantly have to shush him so as not to be disrespectful and have a bad influence on the children.

Regardless, "public" is very vague. Some people expose their genitals in public so by definition that would be a fine way to act on here. 

Rules and such have to be clear enough to have almost the same meaning to all. 

Regardless, "public" is very vague. Some people expose their genitals in public so by definition that would be a fine way to act on here. 

Rules and such have to be clear enough to have almost the same meaning to all. 

displaying your genitles in public is illegal here in the US

You've missed the point. How to behave in public isn't the same to each person. Some people think it's fine to do illegal things in public. 

Yes, you are correct, how to behave in public isn't the same to each person. However, that doesn't mean that it is OK to enact those behaviors everywhere.

For example:

• A-ok or Okay, made by connecting the thumb and forefinger in a circle and holding the other fingers straight, may signal the word okay. It is considered obscene inBrazil.

Thus, one should be mindful how they act when being a foreigner in Brazil.

This ties into PokeMMO because PokeMMO is a global game. We get people from all around the world. Therefore, you should have other people's lifestyles in mind when you decide to act a certain way. That is, unless you have no respect for how other people live. In which case you are just a plain indecent human being.

This ties into PokeMMO because PokeMMO is a global game. We get people from all around the world. Therefore, you should have other people's lifestyles in mind when you decide to act a certain way. That is, unless you have no respect for how other people live. In which case you are just a plain indecent human being.

LUCKILY WE'RE JUST TRYING TO JOKE AROUND WITH OUR FRIENDS AND NOT FLASH OUR GENITALS OR MAKE WEIRD SIGNS WITH OUR HAND

LUCKILY WE'RE JUST TRYING TO JOKE AROUND WITH OUR FRIENDS AND NOT FLASH OUR GENITALS OR MAKE WEIRD SIGNS WITH OUR HAND

you totally missed the point... How you guys joke around with your friends is not in good taste on the global scale of social behavior -.-

Jesus Christ Gilan. I think you know what I meant? Don't start going to the internet for links to try and prove a ridiculous point. I am not even going to read that. Can we go back to the legitmate topic. Quit shitting up the thread. haha

If there is a rule to be made to describe how we are supposed to act in "public"/this forum then it has to be enforced everywhere to the same degree and not just on off topic. That means GD, round table, events, etc. Everything. 

Edited by Emlee

We're supposed to act as if we would in public, I've heard police officers swear in public. Just about everyone has cursed in public, so perhaps remove this filter?

I can legally say things that don't add content to the discussion.

I can have fun in public.

Please emulate what being in public is like by letting me do these things, I insist.

These are all suggestions by the way, and I can see them be seriously considered because staff are competent!

tfw staff can be stupid anywhere and they've taken away the only place we can too.

8f33f1d7ad.jpg

c59d248a1e.jpg

"I-if I ignore it, it'll go away r-right?"

That's great, you or I may be aware of that but a new user and anybody looking in from the outside isn't.

All they are going to see is one user calling another a 'shitter' and that being considered acceptable behavior.

Can you just be blunt and say I don't want off topic back?

I played the game today for the first time in months with Walrus, nothing but nonstop racism, meme spam, shitposting & 'foul' language.
But yet offtopic is such a bad thing.

you totally missed the point... How you guys joke around with your friends is not in good taste on the global scale of social behavior -.-

I don't think you realize this but, OT is literally a place inhabited by people that don't give a shit what other people think about them. And that's not a bad thing. I doubt anyone here goes around and screams curse words at the top of their lungs in public. Its a perfectly normal practice to be able to curse in public, just don't be obnoxiously loud while doing so. And of course when there is a kid around you don't curse. But OT isn't a bunch of kids. And plus, unless your kid is in a blocked off room with no interaction with the outside world, chances are he/she has heard or seen curse words. 

Gtfo. If a mod is trying to do their best, respect is given to them. Had been nothing by kind and accepting to Daft his entire time as mod.

Isn't it funny how you just went on a rant about respect yet you feel the need to brush off my points as nothing pointing out one example and saying look we respected this person. That's all well and good but that's one person. It doesn't matter if you accept whomever moderates off topic as long as everyone is treated fairly by that moderator(s).

I just logged in and screencapped 8 instances of 'taboo' in under 2 minutes. 
But offtopic is the bad place

To be fair even though the ingame chat is filled with shitposting, spam, cursing etc etc. It doesnt justify what happens Off topic. (not saying its really a problem in OT tho...) it just means the ingame chat needs alot more moderating.

Why they dont start with the ingamechat is just stupid, its alot worse than OT, and thats where the majority of players are. OT is just the same 20 people circlejerking with some occasional newbies posting for a day or two. 

We're supposed to act as if we would in public, I've heard police officers swear in public. Just about everyone has cursed in public, so perhaps remove this filter?

there is a diffrence between swearing in public and telling kids/people to fuck off for whatever reason. 

but at this point i just want OT back so i can lurk again. Bring the Vampires if the occasionall cursing is too bad for you mods

Isn't it funny how you just went on a rant about respect yet you feel the need to brush off my points as nothing pointing out one example and saying look we respected this person. That's all well and good but that's one person. It doesn't matter if you accept whomever moderates off topic as long as everyone is treated fairly by that moderator(s).

Far from a rant. You stated that I (we?) don't respect mods. Sure, some don't but I didn't appreciate being grouped into that.