The Pokemon Showdown Thread

suggestion for a solid check/counter for magearna?

I've been having lot's of issues stopping it cause after a set up it's pretty much GGWP due to the stats, ability, and coverage....And it's not really that hard for it to set up a Shift Gear...

Edited by londark
13 minutes ago, londark said:

I've been having lot's of issues stopping it cause after a set up it's pretty much GGWP due to the stats, ability, and coverage....And it's not really that hard for it to set up a Shift Gear...

Excadrill/Alola wak are two pretty reliable checks. Mega camerupt as well

Just now, Gunthug said:

Excadrill/Alola wak are two pretty reliable checks. Mega camerupt as well

Exa only Checks it on Sand or if running AV, and even then, All Out Pummeling is pretty much GGWP.

I really don't like Mega Camerupt, so i'll pass on that....I'll see if i can get a slot for Alola Wak on my team i guess

16 minutes ago, londark said:

Spdef Gastrodon, Sp.Def Mega-Venusaur and Alolan Maro are probably the only viable pokemon that also have usage outside of checking magearna. But Magearna is pretty busted and you have to outplay it most of the times. It just has the gengar syndrome. You don't know what set it is untill it's too late. It can run pretty much like 5 z moves. Shift Gear/3 Attacks, Dual Dance, Specs, Av, Trick Room (Although this one is fairly obvious). I'm sure there are some more checks out there but those 3 pop up in my mind that really do it well. 

I've only seen a rare energy ball on the Specs or AV sets but even on them they're rare. I'd still say Sp.Def Gastrodon is a good check for it. It also checks Ash-Greninja and most Protean Greninja's.