The Pokemon Showdown Thread

• 4 weeks later...

Is it here I can flex my SwSh OU ladder ? 

Capture-d-e-cran-2019-12-02-a-12-36-30.p

Capture-d-e-cran-2019-12-02-a-12-56-35.p

I had doubts about this gen's comp but I can tell it's really good till now. (Tbh I'm sort of winning/loosing by the matchup every game as some expected but ...)

I heard many smogoners were looking for a Dynamax ban early in the gen and I don't think the meta is unhealthy because of it yet.

Sure some things are busted (mostly Flying abusers Gyara Corvi Togekiss) with it however they all have ways to be countered/out-tempo'd. 

In the very first weeks, we all thought it was going to be either HO or Stall that would become viable but I laddered with a balanced and have seen most teams being balanced on the ladder.

Yall have any opinions on this gen yet ? I'm interested in hearing the community's opinion about it.

Spoiler

PS Also I'm sure some MMO guys are higher than me on the ladd, feel free to flexx on me ^^

Edited by TohnR

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1021867010

i may just be bad but i don't like Dynamax at all, at least in singles.

You are pretty much giving massive bulk, massive offense AND FREE BOOST all at once while dealing damage. Flying and Fighting moves are pretty much the worst to have, but weather ones are also quite nasty.

You named Gyarados. Dragon Dance, Water Moves for Weather Boost, Flying Move for Speed Boost and Moxie is already a pain to stop without using your Dynamax or some specific counters, depending on what the third attack is (Rotom W dies to Power Whip, Electric Types to EQ, Ferro is probably the most solid check, altho there are madmans with Rock Smash for the sweet Atk Boost and anyway decent damage after dynamax).

How to stop it then? Let it kill something and then send in your Ditto. GG EZ THX 4 FREE BST

Thanks to all the boosts going around with Dynamax Ditto has seen a rise in usage that i don't remeber since the introduction of Imposter. In itself it's not a terrible thing, if it wasn't that after stealing your buffs, with a Scarf to grab your balls, it can just Dynamax again with your Pokemon to get pretty much the effects of 2 Dyanamax in a match.

Another thing that i really hate is that Encore doesn't carries over the Dynamax, just like it did for Z Moves. Nerfing the move quite a bit. You encore me on a set up move? Too bad for you.

Outside of that, there are quite a bunch of new cool introductions, most new pokes are pretty cool (except for Darmanitan) and the new Items are really interesting

And then there is Moody Cancer, please ban. 

3 hours ago, londark said:

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1021867010

i may just be bad but i don't like Dynamax at all, at least in singles.

You are pretty much giving massive bulk, massive offense AND FREE BOOST all at once while dealing damage. Flying and Fighting moves are pretty much the worst to have, but weather ones are also quite nasty.

You named Gyarados. Dragon Dance, Water Moves for Weather Boost, Flying Move for Speed Boost and Moxie is already a pain to stop without using your Dynamax or some specific counters, depending on what the third attack is (Rotom W dies to Power Whip, Electric Types to EQ, Ferro is probably the most solid check, altho there are madmans with Rock Smash for the sweet Atk Boost and anyway decent damage after dynamax).

How to stop it then? Let it kill something and then send in your Ditto. GG EZ THX 4 FREE BST

Thanks to all the boosts going around with Dynamax Ditto has seen a rise in usage that i don't remeber since the introduction of Imposter. In itself it's not a terrible thing, if it wasn't that after stealing your buffs, with a Scarf to grab your balls, it can just Dynamax again with your Pokemon to get pretty much the effects of 2 Dyanamax in a match.

Another thing that i really hate is that Encore doesn't carries over the Dynamax, just like it did for Z Moves. Nerfing the move quite a bit. You encore me on a set up move? Too bad for you.

Outside of that, there are quite a bunch of new cool introductions, most new pokes are pretty cool (except for Darmanitan) and the new Items are really interesting

And then there is Moody Cancer, please ban. 

It's been kind of fascinating to see the LC meta kind of get out in front of the OU meta to address several problems you mentioned. Obviously it's not a perfect comparison, the nature of LC amplifies problems like dynamax and moody, but still - dynamax banned already and moody followed shortly after. Could end up being invaluable to the OU discussion, since that's bonafide precedent. Overall, I agree and think dynamax should go - it's a relatively cool mechanic that shifts the balance of competitive play far too much. Every turn pre-dynamax becomes a 50/50 and I think it'll only prove more unhealthy over time

• 2 weeks later...

Kinda have to agree that Flying dynamax is straight up stupid and most of the mechanic abusers were using it tbh. Maybe a Flying dynamax which would bring a Tailwind instead would have been more balanced :/ It's not gone yet is it ? But I guess it will since the votes are mostly pro-ban

87% pro ban... Showdown is having some networking issues, but I guess the ban will be up as soon as the problems are solved. 

Anyway, Max Airstream was just one of the many issues with Dynamax in my opinion, but not the only one, or the most broken. 

Honestly, while I belive the ban is the most fair choice, I think that maybe it could have been looked a little more into it, having maybe a split OU with and without Dynamax. 

But at least, no more Dittos on every team. 

I’ve been playing random doubles a lot lately and have decided that dynamax is actually really fun in a doubles setting. I know it’s just randoms but the way dynamax boosts your teammates stats too makes for some really interesting gameplay. Very glad it’s gone from OU but also glad it will live on in formats more suited for its existence 

I think Dynamax is ok in doubles, just like is fine in VGC. But that's a totally different format compared to singles. 

Except the Gigantimax pokemon, the Dark Fairy one, that has a 100% accuracy move that hits both opponents and put them to sleep 

Fucking Dark Void on super steroids

• 2 weeks later...

All the veterans bar the absent scarf rachi (which is currently replaced by it's dumb cousin) were called back for my first 8th gen game ever.

Bullshit hyper offense is cool but gengar is not gonna sweep anytime soon if infiltrator dragon is as popular as i think it is 

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1041596571

is sash exca the new lando?

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1041601382

Edited by Vaeldras
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

https://pokepast.es/b065d994021a1ae3

Here's the team I used from January to Malmö regionals to qualify to 2020 Pokemon World Championships in London, granted it doesn't get cancelled by coronavirus. In showdown's VGC2020 ladder it got to 1800 ELO and peaked at around top 60. 

High Horsepower was Excadrill's STAB for longest time but since season 3 I used Earthquake to activate my TTar's Weakness Policy to OHKO a slower GMax Lapras. 

Spoiler

And before anyone asks, Dive is only to be used as a Max move when you Dynamax. And when you bring Dragapult you wanna Dynamax it basically always.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...