Update Future Sight to Gen 6

RationalDrunk

Question

I've been wondering why Future Sight has not embraced Gen 6 mechanics, which to my understanding is applied to most moves insofar as they are not imbalanced.

If I'm not wrong in thinking that Future Sight in its Gen 6 iteration would not be overpowering and ubiquitous, then I think it would be a good idea to update it and let it see some use and encourage diversity. The moveset diversity per se, and the inclusion of pin and skewer tactics whereby enemies are forced to contend with two elements per turn, protect penetration, etc.

This is definitely not a priority, Future Sight is usable as it is. But it would be nice if it got a little boost and saw more use (for example, from me :D)

25 answers to this question

1 hour ago, MotherBotfly said:

There are more important thing staff should focus with..!

It is not a high priority, as was mentioned, and it's not exactly as though I'm asking for a mountain of work. I may be completely off the mark and this is complicated programming, in which case, I'm happy for the low priority or denial to apply.

2 hours ago, Viking said:

gen6 isnt at all interesting in this game .

I was confused by what you meant, since I thought Gen 6 was already in this game, and therefore whether or not it were interesting would've been irrelevant. I'm checking skills in the game pokedex, and the skills I checked seemed to follow Gen 5 rules instead of Gen 6, in which case I drop the idea (I dislike unnecessary inconsistency). But on the chance that the answer I had obtained in the following thread is true:

Then I'll continue to voice that I'd like for an update to Future Sight to occur, and this thread should be about the pros and cons of such an update. I'd like input on whether or not we can balance these pros and cons (such as consistency, increased utility of a move vs. effort to implement the move) to a favourable enough position to allow for implementation.

The game as a whole, I agree to an implied point, would be largely unchanged by an individual update to Future Sight. But that's not a good justification against its implementation, as not every positive step has to be a great one. It is small steps and adjustments which accumulate and collect, that create a more balanced and interesting game of superior quality.

3 hours ago, RationalDrunk said:

I was confused by what you meant, since I thought Gen 6 was already in this game, and therefore whether or not it were interesting would've been irrelevant. I'm checking skills in the game pokedex, and the skills I checked seemed to follow Gen 5 rules instead of Gen 6, in which case I drop the idea (I dislike unnecessary inconsistency). But on the chance that the answer I had obtained in the following thread is true:

Then I'll continue to voice that I'd like for an update to Future Sight to occur, and this thread should be about the pros and cons of such an update. I'd like input on whether or not we can balance these pros and cons (such as consistency, increased utility of a move vs. effort to implement the move) to a favourable enough position to allow for implementation.

The game as a whole, I agree to an implied point, would be largely unchanged by an individual update to Future Sight. But that's not a good justification against its implementation, as not every positive step has to be a great one. It is small steps and adjustments which accumulate and collect, that create a more balanced and interesting game of superior quality.

why would we update a move as 6th gen mecanich and not touching to the others?

14 minutes ago, Viking said:

Most moves have already gotten updated to gen 6 mechanics eg Bullet seed. We even have gen 6 battle mechanics like electric types immune to paralysis and grass types immune to powders. I assume Future sight was just one of the few moves over sighted in being updated

1 minute ago, Kizhaz said:

Most moves have already gotten updated to gen 6 mechanics eg Bullet seed. We even have gen 6 battle mechanics like electric types immune to paralysis and grass types immune to powders. I assume Future sight was just one of the few moves over sighted in being updated

i though it was gen 5 :)

19 hours ago, Viking said:

You did not read the first part properly.

I was confused by what you meant, since I thought Gen 6 was already in this game, and therefore whether or not it were interesting would've been irrelevant. I'm checking skills in the game pokedex, and the skills I checked seemed to follow Gen 5 rules instead of Gen 6, in which case I drop the idea (I dislike unnecessary inconsistency).

Edited by RationalDrunk
4 minutes ago, JonesMX said:

What about Fury Cutter?

Has it not been changed yet? I haven't followed it since, even in gen 6, it's a pretty irrelevant move competitively speaking. I realize that we have a shortage of physical bug moves here, but pin missile finally got its gen 6 upgrade right?

14 minutes ago, Gunthug said:

Has it not been changed yet? I haven't followed it since, even in gen 6, it's a pretty irrelevant move competitively speaking. I realize that we have a shortage of physical bug moves here, but pin missile finally got its gen 6 upgrade right?

Nope, only Pin missile got updated, It would be nice to at least have a "decent" stab to most bug types,considering only Beedril and Ariados are the only fully evolved pokemon that can have stab pin missile for now.

1 hour ago, JonesMX said:

Nope, only Pin missile got updated, It would be nice to at least have a "decent" stab to most bug types,considering only Beedril and Ariados are the only fully evolved pokemon that can have stab pin missile for now.

Forretress too. Heracross too, although megahorn>. Same case for ariados, megahorn is better. 

It seems that devs want to eventually change everything to gen 6 mechanics eventually, although some are excluded for the sake of balance. These include outrage, knock off, wish, and a few others.

On topic:

I believe we don't have gen 3 future sight mechanics. I'm not sure which gen we are on though since it was changed at some point and I haven't done any testing on it. 

Future sight goes through a few iterations in the rom games. http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Future_Sight_(move)

Would be worth checking its PP, whether its psychic or typeless, its power, and whether or not it uses the sp def of the original target or the target that actually gets hit by future sight. 

7 hours ago, BurntZebra said:

Forretress too. Heracross too, although megahorn>. Same case for ariados, megahorn is better. 

It seems that devs want to eventually change everything to gen 6 mechanics eventually, although some are excluded for the sake of balance. These include outrage, knock off, wish, and a few others.

On topic:

I believe we don't have gen 3 future sight mechanics. I'm not sure which gen we are on though since it was changed at some point and I haven't done any testing on it. 

Future sight goes through a few iterations in the rom games. http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Future_Sight_(move)

Would be worth checking its PP, whether its psychic or typeless, its power, and whether or not it uses the sp def of the original target or the target that actually gets hit by future sight. 

Last time I used it was before the update, but it was psychic type but used the sp.def and type of the pokemon in play when future sight is clicked, this however was a bug and was reported to be fixed. (For instance if I used future sight as sneasel was in battle, then they swapped to hitmontop on the turn it takes effect, it would do no damage because it is a psychic type move and sneasel was dark type, despite the target being a fighting type)

44 minutes ago, BigShotJoe said:

Just for clarity, how exactly does Future Sight work in each generation?

I believe in gen 3 it was typeless and had 90 power or something. It worked like my description above but dark types didnt prevent it due to the typeless damage. In gen 5 it got buffed to 100 power and now works on the targets type and sp.def stat, not the pokemon it was set up on. Gen 6 is the same but 120 power