Player Ratings

frogbussoms

Question

I believe it would be wise to give players a rating based on their skill level from battling players.

If you aren't aware on exactly what the Elo rating system is you should take a look into it..

Basically it's a self correcting system that accurately gives a player a proper "Skill level" rating.

This would be great for pro players wishing to find other people of their own skill level.. And it will encourage more battling among the community as people will find it much easier to find those of their own skill level.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elo_rating_system

Edited by frogbussoms

7 answers to this question

24 minutes ago, pachima said:

ppl would create alts to battle noobs and earn free bp.

The beauty of the Elo rating system is that if you battle someone whos much lower rating than you, you don't earn many points, preventing players from really gaining anything by beating people with horrible ratings.

Yeah you could cheat your way to a good rating, but you would never actually be able to battle players and maintain the rating.. Because you wouldn't be able to beat players who have earned the same rating legitly. You would lose to them, lose points.. Or you would be forced to battle lower rating players in order to win, in which you would lose significantly more points per lose.. And eventually you would fall back to a rating that actually signifies your skill.

The rating system is flawless, unless the person boosts and literally never battles anyone again. Which isn't really a problem because you can tell if they cheated to the rating because they will be too scared to battle others who have the same rating.

I don't see the problem in this unless you don't want the community to see how good/bad each player actually is.

Edited by frogbussoms
17 hours ago, Greck said:

@OrangeManiac will be a silver.

I think the idea is good, as far it does not turn in "I can't get out of the lowest rank because we have like 100 comp players in this game and i can't beat anybody" so this should be studied.

The reason it's good is because you will be able to locate other players who have the " i cant beat any comp players " problem.

Because as it stands right now they just avoid battling others.

Edited by frogbussoms

This game is not centered around competitive gameplay like other games with a similar system (LoL comes to mind). This means that, outside of ranked matchmaking battles, there is no way and no reason to accurately measure a player's skill. On top of this, an ELO system isn't really necessary as we already a nearly-identical system system in matchmaking. Furthermore, nearly all active players have more than one character, which means more than one measurement for the same person. At least half have more than one account.