Food/Cooking thread

Munya

26 minutes ago, Munya said:

Anybody who talks to me knows I like to talk/spam them about two things, birds and cooking/food so lets make a thread out of one of those, post any recipes/ideas for food you like or are thinking about experimenting with here.

I am currently trying to eat a bit healthier so any nice healthy recipes will likely be given all of my likes.

Good morning Munya, I hope your doing well. I am not really good in the kitchen, but I remember a chocolate protein shake I had a long time ago. Its been about 5-7 years ago since it was made, but I would like to recall the ingredients that was put into the shake....

1. Chocolate Whey Protein

2. Bananas

3. Frozen Chocolate Yogart

4. Vanilla Extract

5. Ice Cubes

I would usually have this before a long exercise. Hopefully, this helps, I do not know the exact teaspoons, but I did cite most of the ingredients.

1 minute ago, Munya said:

Only tea I have ever had is the stuff already in bags that you just drop in some hot water unfortunately, something I would love to try, making your own blends and whatnot.

Wait a minute, your signature has a message on it "Save birds drink coffee." Why are you activating for tea?

If I do drink tea, its usually Lipton Black Tea. You might want to read this article I found from PercisionNutrition about how Green Tea works...

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/rr-green-tea-hazards

I am not aware about making your own blends of tea, maybe I should try that sometime.

Not necessarily about myself cooking, but I've been watching a lot of cooking competition shows lately. Been binging through the original Iron Chef series. Youtube has pretty much all of the episodes. I'm thinking I'm going to start to get into cooking more now, as I've been living on my own during college and have had extended periods of time where I had to cook for myself when I was at home. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUxI09AS8MI&list=PL9U6ws7o3ik6ZW9k8d2IcbZnWrNFzIn0V -> link to the Iron Chef playlist on youtube.

Currently, most of my foods have either been some kind of stir fry, or some pasta variant with some stuff thrown on top. In the future, I'd like to start to try to cook more meats, since I feel like I don't have much experience with that (my dad grills a lot of the steaks/fish/shrimp we have). 

Cooking is a pretty important life skill and I feel like it is also a good hobby, and conversation starter, or further down the line in a relationship, you can cook your own food for a romantic date etc. 

I haven't watched Iron Chef in quite some time, that link will get some use.

I have also been doing quite a bit of stir-frying recently, its quick and simple and tasted great, plan on doing much more of it in the near future and buying better tools to do them with.

6 hours ago, Munya said:

I am currently trying to eat a bit healthier so any nice healthy recipes will likely be given all of my likes.

GL, this recipe is the complete opposite of healthy.

Chicken, Leek and Mushroom Tagliatelle: 

Ingredients:

Get 2 chicken breasts, slice that shit up real good. You're looking for bite-sized chunks, none of this goujon bs.

Get 2 leaks, cut those motherfuckers up into half-inch slices. Discard the first slice from the root-end of the leek as that tends to be tough and doesn't cook down well.

Treat yourself to a decent couple of handfuls of mushrooms, you can either slice these thinly, or quarter them for meatier chunks if that tickles your fancy. (Mushrooms also aren't necessary if you're not a fan)

Grab yourself 2x vegetable stock cubes, these little bundles of deliciousness will be the basis of this dish's seasoning. 

The primary ingredient in the sauce for this pasta dish will be single cream, hence why this absolutely is not a healthy option (I use 1x Elmlea Single Cream if I'm just cooking for myself)

5-or-so tagliatelle nests

Cooking:

1) Boil some water for your tagliatelle, add a pinch of salt if that's what you're into

2) Fry up your chicken slices until they take up a slightly golden colour, and then chuck in your vegetables. The chicken slices shouldn't be cooked through before you add the vegetables as they'll end up being dry and tough. I like to add mixed herbs, black pepper and garlic to the chicken as it's frying. (I don't add any salt as the vegetable stock cubes add enough of a salty note themselves)

3) Simultaneously to you adding your vegetables, put your tagliatelle into the boiling water

4) Once the vegetables have softened up nicely, add your vegetable stock cubes and then immediately add your single cream

5) Keep stirring the chickeny-vegetable creamy goodness so as to not burn the cream as it's reducing down. You want that shit to thicken up enough to coat the back of a spoon 

6) Once the tagliatelle has cooked and the cream has reduced enough, drain your pasta and then add it directly into the wok/frying pan/whatever pan you have your sauce in, and toss it until the pasta is covered evenly

Serve that motherfucker up, and voila, you got yourself a lovely creamy pasta dish. I like to grate a small amount of red leicester cheese onto the top of it once served. 

23 minutes ago, 001 said:

step 1: boil water

step 2: place hotdog in wat

wheres the chili at

11 minutes ago, Zymogen said:

GL, this recipe is the complete opposite of healthy.

Chicken, Leek and Mushroom Tagliatelle: 

Ingredients:

Get 2 chicken breasts, slice that shit up real good. You're looking for bite-sized chunks, none of this goujon bs.

Get 2 leaks, cut those motherfuckers up into half-inch slices. Discard the first slice from the root-end of the leek as that tends to be tough and doesn't cook down well.

Treat yourself to a decent couple of handfuls of mushrooms, you can either slice these thinly, or quarter them for meatier chunks if that tickles your fancy. (Mushrooms also aren't necessary if you're not a fan)

Grab yourself 2x vegetable stock cubes, these little bundles of deliciousness will be the basis of this dish's seasoning. 

The primary ingredient in the sauce for this pasta dish will be single cream, hence why this absolutely is not a healthy option (I use 1x Elmlea Single Cream if I'm just cooking for myself)

5-or-so tagliatelle nests

Cooking:

1) Boil some water for your tagliatelle, add a pinch of salt if that's what you're into

2) Fry up your chicken slices until they take up a slightly golden colour, and then chuck in your vegetables. The chicken slices shouldn't be cooked through before you add the vegetables as they'll end up being dry and tough. I like to add mixed herbs, black pepper and garlic to the chicken as it's frying. (I don't add any salt as the vegetable stock cubes add enough of a salty note themselves)

3) Simultaneously to you adding your vegetables, put your tagliatelle into the boiling water

4) Once the vegetables have softened up nicely, add your vegetable stock cubes and then immediately add your single cream

5) Keep stirring the chickeny-vegetable creamy goodness so as to not burn the cream as it's reducing down. You want that shit to thicken up enough to coat the back of a spoon 

6) Once the tagliatelle has cooked and the cream has reduced enough, drain your pasta and then add it directly into the wok/frying pan/whatever pan you have your sauce in, and toss it until the pasta is covered evenly

Serve that motherfucker up, and voila, you got yourself a lovely creamy pasta dish. I like to grate a small amount of red leicester cheese onto the top of it once served. 

One day a month I eat not-healthy stuff, maybe I will look into it.  Alfredo is my favorite creamy pasta sauce.

To cover both subjects, yesterday I threw skinless chicken thighs marinated in italian dressing for several hours in the crockpot. Set it to low and took it off in 4 hours. 

Was so juicy and good. Would recommend a dark meat thigh over a breast from here on out. And I'm a white meat guy. 

Since moving in with my friend, having a household of just us two dudes has forced us to learn to cook. 

One thing I've made a couple times that is good is linguica and rice. You cut up a pound of linguica, brown it with I think like a quarter cup of butter, and I usually chop up some onion and throw that in with it too. Once the linguica is browned you put in two cups of rice, 4 cups of water, and some salt. Let it cook until the water is gone. I also usually cook it with crushed red pepper too since if food doesn't make my mouth hurt when I eat it why even bother. 

38 minutes ago, Rigamorty said:

"Linguiça is a form of smoke cured pork sausage seasoned with garlic and paprika in Portuguese-speaking countries." 

Not sure if you're serious but yeah. 

Yea I had no clue what it was. I googled, but thanks for the response. 

I have had these marinating since yesterday, will be cooking them for supper tonight, there is a pretty good Asian buffet around here that makes these so I have decided to make some of my own because I like them a fair bit, and they are pretty simple to do, assuming they turn out well it may be something I do regularly, maybe not always with the skewers though.

http://www.bakedbyrachel.com/chicken-teriyaki-skewers/

10 hours ago, Munya said:

I have had these marinating since yesterday, will be cooking them for supper tonight, there is a pretty good Asian buffet around here that makes these so I have decided to make some of my own because I like them a fair bit, and they are pretty simple to do, assuming they turn out well it may be something I do regularly, maybe not always with the skewers though.

http://www.bakedbyrachel.com/chicken-teriyaki-skewers/

recipe actually looks cool might try later this week 

11 minutes ago, Munya said:

Bought a wok today, getting it ready for use the first time is awful, highly recommend doing it outside, get a gas grill/stove or something.  

what's wrong with woks? I've always thought about getting 1 but never commit to it, idk shit about em either