Gimmick/fun/unusual movesets/pokemons

Hello everyone. I wasn't sure whether I should post this thread in here or on Competitive Assistance, so please move it there if you guys (mods) think its more appropriate.

I've been always a fan of gimmicks/unusual movesets that are actually good/worth using over the standard sets for some reason (even if not as consistent), so I decided to create this thread as I couldn't find any similar thread on my search

I'll start with the classic endeavor shell bell aron, which became possible recently, with the update of the sturdy ability: 

Aron @ Shell Bell
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 116 Atk / 40 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Endeavor
- Protect
- Toxic
- Earthquake

Sturdy allows it to survive almost everything (except for multi-hit moves or status),  and it's typing is good because of its immunity to toxic and sand damage (in ubers). Endeavor is used to bring the enemy down to 1 HP, while shell bell fully heals it, re-enabling sturdy. Toxic and earthquake are used to finish the enemy off, the latter being aron's best choice on a mirror match. Protect is used to get some free damage from toxic or sandstorm (in ubers), finishing the enemy off.

sorry for my english, I'm still appearently unable to write a text properly.

F.E.A.R tactic is nothing too unusual, is pretty well known imo and vastly used because is fun, not in pokemmo as we can't due to level limitations. Also you can just use berry juice/recycle.

One I personally managed to use with some success was smeargle jolly 31hp/31atk/31speed with extreme speed, destiny bond, spore, transform. This set worked particularly well during the snorlax age. A good person to speak to you about non usual sets would be pachima imo.

Choice band Arcanine has been on my mind lately. Flamewheel/flamethrower will tear through steel walls/weezing, extreme speed will rip apart squishy. It gets slightly stalled by Gyarados, but most offensive variants won't enjoy eating multiple CB extreme speed in the face. With correct predication, EQ can do some serious damage to opposing Arcanines and Milotics. Both intimidate and flash fire ability works, depends on what your team needs more.

6 minutes ago, Maelstrom said:

I were recently thinking about arcanine too, but idk, I just feel like blaziken would do a better job. 

Arca doesn't have quite the movepool and has no secondary STAB, but it has some niche over Blaziken. Arca has stronger priority with espeed, better bulk, and can switch in to Typhlosion if running Flash Fire. It can also run LO + Morning Sun to last longer in battle. It can't hit water types for very much yet, however.

8 hours ago, notmudkip0 said:

Arca doesn't have quite the movepool and has no secondary STAB, but it has some niche over Blaziken. Arca has stronger priority with espeed, better bulk, and can switch in to Typhlosion if running Flash Fire. It can also run LO + Morning Sun to last longer in battle. It can't hit water types for very much yet, however.

sunny beam tho

2 hours ago, pachima said:

sunny beam tho

I was discussing the physical set, but a pure special or special bias set isnt out of the question. Sunny Day/Flamethrower/Solarbeam/Morning Sun could be fun, since you fire off strong attacks and can heal a lot more HP in sun. You could fit another move in over Sunny Day if you have a teammate to set sun. HP Electric provides immediate damage against waters and will OHKO Gyarados with full investment + LO. Espeed is good priority and stops Reversal sweeps.

7 hours ago, notmudkip0 said:

I was discussing the physical set, but a pure special or special bias set isnt out of the question. Sunny Day/Flamethrower/Solarbeam/Morning Sun could be fun, since you fire off strong attacks and can heal a lot more HP in sun. You could fit another move in over Sunny Day if you have a teammate to set sun. HP Electric provides immediate damage against waters and will OHKO Gyarados with full investment + LO. Espeed is good priority and stops Reversal sweeps.

A lot of people are underestimating the power of Sunny Day also. It reduces water damages by tons, letting Arcanine to tank a few waterfall or surf. But in my opinion, if you are using Sunny Day dog @Parke you might as well pair it with Exeggutor who can tear apart Gyarados and Milotics with STAB Solar Beam. 

4 minutes ago, Moetal said:

But in my opinion, if you are using Sunny Day dog @Parke you might as well pair it with Exeggutor who can tear apart Gyarados and Milotics with STAB Solar Beam. 

Naturally. If you wanted to run a sun team than Bellossom might be a good teammate for setting it, since she's very bulky and covers fire's weaknesses.

18 hours ago, Moetal said:

A lot of people are underestimating the power of Sunny Day also. It reduces water damages by tons, letting Arcanine to tank a few waterfall or surf. But in my opinion, if you are using Sunny Day dog @Parke you might as well pair it with Exeggutor who can tear apart Gyarados and Milotics with STAB Solar Beam. 

I used to pair a sunny beam Charizard with Vileplume some time ago.

@edit

I made this to counter breloom and for keks.

wgqvg.png

The problem is that the only safe switchs for it are breloom and umbreon.

Edited by Maelstrom

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.